5kaven5lave

16 minutes ago, W1tchhunter said:

The doom wheel took my Toughened sinews hellpit to 2 wounds in one round of combat! And that was me charging him haha. Doom wheel took one of my rat ogor units to one model just with the shooting also. They both felt pretty powerful on the receiving end 😛

Your opponent had some amazing luck, with his wheel of doom,

considering that it did 14 wounds to your hell pit and almost killed your unit of rat ogres with just shooting 

9 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m amazed how quiet it got here.

even the skaven discort channels seems pretty quiet.

what happened.

is there nothing left to discuss about the skaven?

Make me a fun looking pestilence list :P that's my next clan I'm trying after the Gargant Moulder list.

48 minutes ago, W1tchhunter said:

Make me a fun looking pestilence list :P that's my next clan I'm trying after the Gargant Moulder list.

Uff that’s a hard one…..

I think if you’re trying to win as many games as possible, you’ll probably stick with 4 units of 10 plague censer bearers, Thanqoul and at least 3 priest units.

after that you’ll just want to spam min size plague censer bearers.

If you’re looking for some fun… I would suggest to you to take whatever you want to play.

often mixing some stuff up may be worth at least for the fun aspect.

As for winning with luck, I guess you could try the list some random skavenplayer seemed to have made it to work.

which would be a furnace a screaming bell,

2x30 plague monks and the rest clanrats I think

Edited by Skreech Verminking

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Uff that’s a hard one…..

I think if you’re trying to win as many games as possible, you’ll probably stick with 4 units of 10 plague censer bearers, Thanqoul and at least 3 priest units.

after that you’ll just want to spam min size plague censer bearers.

If you’re looking for some fun… I would suggest to you to take whatever you want to play.

often mixing some stuff up may be worth at least for the fun aspect.

As for winning with luck, I guess you could try the list some random skavenplayer seemed to have made it to work.

which would be a furnace a screaming bell,

2x30 plague monks and the rest clanrats I think

I'm enjoying the reputation at tournaments as the skaven Player with the wild lists so definitely want more fun than competitive :P

This is one I came up with

- Army Faction: Skaven
     - Grand Strategy: Arch-corruptors of the Mortal Realms
     - Triumph: Indomitable
LEADERS
Plague Priest On Plague Furnace (300)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Master of Rot and Ruin
     - Prayers: Rabid-rabid!
Plague Priest (100)*
     - Prayers: Filth-filth!
Plague Priest (100)*
     - Artefacts of Power: Blistrevous, the Living Cyst
     - Prayers: Rabid-rabid!
Plague Priest (100)***
     - Prayers: Filth-filth!
Verminlord Corruptor (350)***
     - Artefacts of Power: Blade of Corruption
     - Spells: Flaming Weapon
BATTLELINE
Plague Censer Bearers (90)***
ARTILLERY
Plagueclaw (120)***
OTHER
Plague Monks (180)**
     -  Bringer-of-the-Word
     - Pair of Foetid Blades
     - 2 x Standard Bearer
     - 2 x Plague Harbingers
Plague Monks (180)**
     -  Bringer-of-the-Word
     - Pair of Foetid Blades
     - 2 x Standard Bearer
     - 2 x Plague Harbingers
Plague Monks (180)**
     -  Bringer-of-the-Word
     - Pair of Foetid Blades
     - 2 x Plague Harbingers
     - 2 x Standard Bearer
Rat Swarms (60)***
TERRAIN
1 x Gnawhole (0)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Command Entourage
     - Magnificent

**Bounty Hunters
***Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 1940/2000

Ignore the bounty Hunters made it a few weeks ago.

There is an extra 60 points also :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m amazed how quiet it got here.

even the skaven discort channels seems pretty quiet.

what happened.

is there nothing left to discuss about the skaven?

I think we were just so underwhelmed by the latest tome that we quickly ran out of things to discuss. I’m hoping the new GHB will spawn some discussions and theory crafting. I’m having my first game of the new GHB tomorrow, so trying out a few ideas (including the deathmaster/stormvermin/strike-first combo) 😀

Just now, Cosmicsheep said:

I think we were just so underwhelmed by the latest tome that we quickly ran out of things to discuss. I’m hoping the new GHB will spawn some discussions and theory crafting. I’m having my first game of the new GHB tomorrow, so trying out a few ideas (including the deathmaster/stormvermin/strike-first combo) 😀

Whats your list for that? 

7 minutes ago, W1tchhunter said:

Thanquol (Death frenzy)

Deathmaster (shadow magnet trinket / fuelled by Ghurish rage) **

Grey Seer (Skitterleap) *

Plague priest (General / Master of rot & ruin / Gryph feather charm / Filth filth) *

Plague priest (Rabid rabid) *

20 clanrats

20 clanrats

30 stormvermin **

20 plague monks 

5 censer bearers ***

5 gutter runners ***

5 gutter runners ***

lauchon

* command entourage - magnificent 

** Galletian command

*** sharpshooters

46 minutes ago, W1tchhunter said:

I think this would be mine:

Allegiance: Skaven
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs: Inspired
With Leadership of the Alpha; Gryph feather charm, artefact(110)*
Warlock Bombardier
- General
- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor  
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Bombardier (110)*
Warlock Bombardier (110)**
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator  
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
Grey Seer (120)**
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
5 x Skryre Acolytes (70)**
5 x Skryre Acolytes (70)*
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
Purple Sun of Shyish (90)
*Warlord
**Warlord
Artefact
Spell

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96
Drops: 26

of course the sniper battailon would also be included, as rattling gun weapon teams do meet the criteria 

• LOVE IT! 2

35 minutes ago, Cosmicsheep said:

Thanquol (Death frenzy)

Deathmaster (shadow magnet trinket / fuelled by Ghurish rage) **

Grey Seer (Skitterleap) *

Plague priest (General / Master of rot & ruin / Gryph feather charm / Filth filth) *

Plague priest (Rabid rabid) *

20 clanrats

20 clanrats

30 stormvermin **

20 plague monks 

5 censer bearers ***

5 gutter runners ***

5 gutter runners ***

lauchon

* command entourage - magnificent 

** Galletian command

*** sharpshooters

Gotta see that's a beautiful mash up of Clans :P

What would you swap out for Thanquol if you had to? 

10 hours ago, Cosmicsheep said:

Hard to please some. I think the new tome is great, most of the units that needed some love got a nice little bump and most things are playable, with no one list being an obvious choice. 

I've got a game coming up this weekend against my mates beastclaw raiders. Going to try something a bit fun, but still something I think I should be able to pull a win off with. I have split the gutter runners into 2x 5, which I know isn't ideal, but it allows me to fill out the sharpshooters battalion. 

I had initially intended to play my 3 doomwheel and always 3 clawsteps ahead list, but I feel like it wouldn't be as much fun when there arent hordes of things to run over the top of.

Spoiler

Army Faction: Skaven
- Grand Strategy: The Day is Ours!
- Triumph: Inspired
LEADERS
Slynk Skittershank (220)*
Thanquol (430)*
- 4 x Warpfire Braziers
- Spells: Death Frenzy
Grey Seer (120)*
- Artefacts of Power: Skavenbrew
- Spells: Skitterleap
Clawlord (110)***
- Artefacts of Power: Warpstone Charm
Warlock Engineer (100)****
- General
- Command Traits: Deranged Inventor
- Spells: More-more-more Warp Power!
BATTLELINE
Clanrats (100)*
- Rusty Blade
- 2 x  Clanrat Bell-ringer
- 2 x Clanrat Standard Bearer
Gutter Runners (100)**
Stormvermin (260)***
BEHEMOTH
Doomwheel (160)
ARTILLERY
Warp Lightning Cannon (150)****
Warplock Jezzails (120)****
OTHER
Skittershank’s Clawpack (220)**
Gutter Runners (100)**
CORE BATTALIONS
*Warlord
**Galletian Sharpshooters
***Galletian Command
****Grand Battery
TOTAL POINTS: 1970/2000

It won't be a particularly competitive game, we usually play paths to glory, but we will both be trying to win. 

Hopefully i'll be reporting back with a victory!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

1)Hard to please some. I think the new tome is great, most of the units that needed some love got a nice little bump and most things are playable, with no one list being an obvious choice. 

2)I've got a game coming up this weekend against my mates beastclaw raiders. Going to try something a bit fun, but still something I think I should be able to pull a win off with. I have split the gutter runners into 2x 5, which I know isn't ideal, but it allows me to fill out the sharpshooters battalion. 

3) I had initially intended to play my 3 doomwheel and always 3 clawsteps ahead list, but I feel like it wouldn't be as much fun when there arent hordes of things to run over the top of.

Hide contents

Army Faction: Skaven
- Grand Strategy: The Day is Ours!
- Triumph: Inspired
LEADERS
Slynk Skittershank (220)*
Thanquol (430)*
- 4 x Warpfire Braziers
- Spells: Death Frenzy
Grey Seer (120)*
- Artefacts of Power: Skavenbrew
- Spells: Skitterleap
Clawlord (110)***
- Artefacts of Power: Warpstone Charm
Warlock Engineer (100)****
- General
- Command Traits: Deranged Inventor
- Spells: More-more-more Warp Power!
BATTLELINE
Clanrats (100)*
- Rusty Blade
- 2 x  Clanrat Bell-ringer
- 2 x Clanrat Standard Bearer
Gutter Runners (100)**
Stormvermin (260)***
BEHEMOTH
Doomwheel (160)
ARTILLERY
Warp Lightning Cannon (150)****
Warplock Jezzails (120)****
OTHER
Skittershank’s Clawpack (220)**
Gutter Runners (100)**
CORE BATTALIONS
*Warlord
**Galletian Sharpshooters
***Galletian Command
****Grand Battery
TOTAL POINTS: 1970/2000

4)It won't be a particularly competitive game, we usually play paths to glory, but we will both be trying to win. 

Hopefully i'll be reporting back with a victory!

1)firstly, I’m very happy to see that somebody is enjoying the book.

While I personally loaf the new book everyday more and more, I don’t think you should do the same thing too.

If there is a play-style you really enjoy in this book go for it.

while it is true that a good amount of stuff is playable almost as many units aren’t.

of course that doesn't mean that they can not see the play, but you’ll more then often will phase a moment were you really are thinking of just replacing the unit with another one that either has a role or just does stuff a bit better.

and while we do have the chance of taking all the stuff the book has to other, there is always a good chance that certain units will just barely or even never see play.

and after having tried all kinds of units out and read the whole book up to 10 times, I can with certainty say, skaven are one of these faction that will struggle a lot with internal balance.

still this should not stop you from playing what you love.

2) No I think 2 times 5 models is more ideal then anything else.

They cost already a fortune and they don’t really survive.

since they won’t be getting any real buffs for being included in units of 10, and since reinforcement points didn’t change for the skaven at all, which the min. size for gutter and night runners really will be the best way in playing them.

it also means more freedom when trying to capture more then one objective in a turn

3) personally id don’t think the three clawsteps ahead is worth the 3 masterclan heroes.

Even if the possibility of thre pile ins with a deathfrenzied doomwheels sounds awesome, the effort is often not worth it.

same can be said about the 3 heroes (3 grey seers if you want to go cheap, which is still costy) after 2 of them there isn’t much reason to have the third one. All playable spells from the spell lore can be cast by 2 grey seers or one if you have the extra spell slot enhancement.

if you have 2 you’ll be able to cast next to the only two spells we have also the generic spell, of which one is fine and the other is situational.

often 1 is enough to cast the spells you really need including endless spells.

4) don’t.

competitive…… how should I put it with skaven………..

lets not just play what you enjoy.

personally against friends and in a path to glory campaign all of those things can be pretty fun.

11 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

4) don’t.

competitive…… how should I put it with skaven………..

lets not just play what you enjoy.

personally against friends and in a path to glory campaign all of those things can be pretty fun.

Haha I'm not new to skaven, been kicking around here for a while even if I don't post often.

Skaven definitely can be competitive, if played right. I suggest you have listen to the new mortally wounded podcast, which had Dan Brewer in it talking about his recent 5-0 performance in an australian teams event. This is a bloke who consistently plays very well with skaven in comps in Aus and had a great educational video on how to use clanrat movement efficiently.

I'm not trying to play to that level by any means 😛, but I will be pushing myself to do the best i can with the list, so that i can use it for any tournaments I hopefully play in this season (hopefully!).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

Haha I'm not new to skaven, been kicking around here for a while even if I don't post often.

Skaven definitely can be competitive, if played right. I suggest you have listen to the new mortally wounded podcast, which had Dan Brewer in it talking about his recent 5-0 performance in an australian teams event. This is a bloke who consistently plays very well with skaven in comps in Aus and had a great educational video on how to use clanrat movement efficiently.

I'm not trying to play to that level by any means 😛, but I will be pushing myself to do the best i can with the list, so that i can use it for any tournaments I hopefully play in this season (hopefully!).

I haven’t heard anything from dan brewer since the first real aos skaven book got added to the range.

great to hear he is still doing well.

Skaven can definitely be competitive, don’t get me wrong, but when yoy are one of the players who started converting and building tons and tons of rattling gun weapon teams, while the mew book just makes an ordinary ok-ish unit incredible bad and worsens the only command trait that was helpful towards rattling guns to uselessness, you kinda get upset.

extremely upset.

And personally it’s not the competitive side of the skaven that makes me believe that the book is badly done.

it is more likely said the reason of, the book being halve the value of the last book.

having gotten no real updates and rules that don’t fit the skaven at all.

when I want to play skaven, I want an army, constantly backstabbing themself trying to manipulate their own kin, trying to be that risk and reward army while still being considered a horde faction.

And with the mewest book, they became that guru like faction,

we all work together to achieve a goal 🤮.

risk no we don’t have that.

you overcharge and you die (rattling gun weapon teams) 

We are going to babysit our own heroes, because that is definitely what a great manipulator would do, no we wouldn’t send them to their death if it meant to achieve a certain goal.

oh look they are trying to kill each other, no that is wrong!!!.

feels like we are playing a whole different faction. I call it the disneyfication of skaven🤮🤮.

Also hordes,

pffh, we don’t have that.

hordes are elite armies while elite armies are horde armies (new gw logic considering that dok can manipulate reinforcement points)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I haven’t heard anything from dan brewer since the first real aos skaven book got added to the range.

great to hear he is still doing well.

Skaven can definitely be competitive, don’t get me wrong, but when yoy are one of the players who started converting and building tons and tons of rattling gun weapon teams, while the mew book just makes an ordinary ok-ish unit incredible bad and worsens the only command trait that was helpful towards rattling guns to uselessness, you kinda get upset.

extremely upset.

And personally it’s not the competitive side of the skaven that makes me believe that the book is badly done.

it is more likely said the reason of, the book being halve the value of the last book.

having gotten no real updates and rules that don’t fit the skaven at all.

when I want to play skaven, I want an army, constantly backstabbing themself trying to manipulate their own kin, trying to be that risk and reward army while still being considered a horde faction.

And with the mewest book, they became that guru like faction,

we all work together to achieve a goal 🤮.

risk no we don’t have that.

you overcharge and you die (rattling gun weapon teams) 

We are going to babysit our own heroes, because that is definitely what a great manipulator would do, no we wouldn’t send them to their death if it meant to achieve a certain goal.

oh look they are trying to kill each other, no that is wrong!!!.

feels like we are playing a whole different faction. I call it the disneyfication of skaven🤮🤮.

Also hordes,

pffh, we don’t have that.

hordes are elite armies while elite armies are horde armies (new gw logic considering that dok can manipulate reinforcement points)

Haha fair enough, I never played skaven in fantasy so i'm unsure what their rules used to be like. I personally think the rules are pretty fluffy, at least enough for me to have a stack of fun with the narrative side of my paths to glory warband. 

Yea you should definitely check out the podcast. He quite often has a different take on the community consensus, and he seems to be able to back it up with performance. 

One such take, is that Thanquol with projectors is a trap, and even more so if you take the boat. I must admit that I never had problems running Thanquol as melee,  its nice to hear his explanation for why he likes it and why it is an auto include in his lists atm.  

This is the podcast for reference: 

https://soundcloud.com/user-583885206/episode-52-rune-axe-2022?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Edited by fishwaffle2232

10 minutes ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

One such take, is that Thanquol with projectors is a trap, and even more so if you take the boat. I must admit that I never had problems running Thanquol as melee,  its nice to hear his explanation for why he likes it and why it is an auto include in his lists atm.  

It is currently a trap.

it is pretty amazing….

when hordes existed, but I mean what else is there to do for a thanqoul in this age and time.

he can kill depending on the army a10 man unit of screen, or maybe some pretty cheap elite unit with 2 or less wounds.

but he is not getting his points out of that.

With his combat weapon he vould at least split the attacks for more damage or be considered the support hero option of your army instead of the Throw him forward and watch as he dies model

ps: thank you again for the source, I’ll have a hear about it.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:51 AM, Skreech Verminking said:

I think this would be mine:

Allegiance: Skaven
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs: Inspired
With Leadership of the Alpha; Gryph feather charm, artefact(110)*
Warlock Bombardier
- General
- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor  
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator  
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
Grey Seer (120)**
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
5 x Skryre Acolytes (70)**
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
Purple Sun of Shyish (90)
*Warlord
**Warlord
Artefact
Spell

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96
Drops: 26

of course the sniper battailon would also be included, as rattling gun weapon teams do meet the criteria 

Do you have the models for that?!

Looking at some new stuff from the GHB.  The Nightflyer Cloak and Tunnel Master thing will let anyone who can use a Warpspark deepstrike next to the Acolytes in the movement phase I think (don't have the GHB but glanced at the new enhancments/relics).  So I'm thinking one could run multiple Acolytes up, perhaps using a Vanguard Battalion to get a free 6" run, then Warpspark them plus maybe the couple Doomwheels who really want to move up a bunch (more than 1" away from our own stuff though, learned that the hard way!), then add damage to those on the move.  Really only need the 1 Engineer next to both Lightning Cannons, who pretty much are gonna explode themselves after turn 2 anways usually.   That's my cunning-devious plan-scheme for the next episode of Suburban Acolytes. 

Also, multiple models should be able to use a Warpspark in every phase.  Everyone should indulge in magical substances together.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:10 PM, W1tchhunter said:

Okay cool let us know how it goes! Looking forward to hearing about it. I love the mix of Clans :D

It went pretty well, a narrow defeat 17-18 against Slaves to Darkness. I would have won if not for some treacherous plague monks and a cowardly grey seer 🤣

He gave me first turn so i moved up my screens, death frenzy the stormvermin and pop the gutter runners out to try and snipe his chaos lord. He passesd most of the wounds to his chosen, but i killed a couple of them. He then gets to roll a dice to determine if he takes priority next turn. He gets the double turn and knowing this takes out my clanrat screens this turn, and starts on my stormvermin and monks at the start of turn 2. My deathmaster uses shadow magnet trinket to strike first at his varanguard closely follwed by his sworn bodyguards the stormvermin. One horseman is left on 2 wounds. He choses to target the deathmaster so as not to trigger death frenzy. His chaos lord takes out a few monks and i stupidly remove the ones which allow his chosen to pile into (and kill most of) the censer bearers. d'oh! Meanwhile Archaon is tied up with a unit of gutter runners. Thanquol and the priests are sat back watching the death and destruction and the grey seer is holding the flank objective (we played Position over Power) I'm way ahead in points by this point. I use the new heroic actions to kill the last varanguard in the hero phase but my next mistake was skitterleaping the grey seer to his objective (having not read the battleplan properly and losing an extra VP by sitting on the flank obj) Archon finishes of the deathmaster and stormvermin, the chaos lord gets infected by the rednaw plague and attacks his own chosen! Thanquol takes out the untamed beasts on the other flank thanks to his skateboard. Eventually Thanquol and Archon meet and i get a double turn going into round 5. Thanquol is able to cast madness at the bottom of turn 4 AND the top of round 5 making Archaon beat himself to death. Very satisfying. In the end i fail my grand strategy and have no battle tactics i can complete in turn 5. A fun game and one i could have won if i'd not made those little mistakes.

Edited by Cosmicsheep
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Cosmicsheep said:

It went pretty well, a narrow defeat 17-18 against Slaves to Darkness. I would have won if not for some treacherous plague monks and a cowardly grey seer 🤣

He gave me first turn so i moved up my screens, death frenzy the stormvermin and pop the gutter runners out to try and snipe his chaos lord. He passesd most of the wounds to his chosen, but i killed a couple of them. He then gets to roll a dice to determine if he takes priority next turn. He gets the double turn and knowing this takes out my clanrat screens this turn, and starts on my stormvermin and monks at the start of turn 2. My deathmaster uses shadow magnet trinket to strike first at his varanguard closely follwed by his sworn bodyguards the stormvermin. One horseman is left on 2 wounds. He choses to target the deathmaster so as not to trigger death frenzy. His chaos lord takes out a few monks and i stupidly remove the ones which allow his chosen to pile into (and kill most of) the censer bearers. d'oh! Meanwhile Archaon is tied up with a unit of gutter runners. Thanquol and the priests are sat back watching the death and destruction and the grey seer is holding the flank objective (we played Position over Power) I'm way ahead in points by this point. I use the new heroic actions to kill the last varanguard in the hero phase but my next mistake was skitterleaping the grey seer to his objective (having not read the battleplan properly and losing an extra VP by sitting on the flank obj) Archon finishes of the deathmaster and stormvermin, the chaos lord gets infected by the rednaw plague and attacks his own chosen! Thanquol takes out the untamed beasts on the other flank thanks to his skateboard. Eventually Thanquol and Archon meet and i get a double turn going into round 5. Thanquol is able to cast madness at the bottom of turn 4 AND the top of round 5 making Archaon beat himself to death. Very satisfying. In the end i fail my grand strategy and have no battle tactics i can complete in turn 5. A fun game and one i could have won if i'd not made those little mistakes.

Cheers for that! Anything you'd change with the list? I'm missing a few things but definitely want to try it out soon!