The Rumour Thread

images(9).jpeg.9fb23cde4b8f09d265de380c6735b018.jpegibs2pX29I0krN18Y.jpg.2df348bb9b3f61f2fa85da2811519917.jpg

I think they look different enough. When they are stood next to each other the size difference will be obvious. The armour on the Ardboy is still more rounded than the brute. I'm not sure what people are expecting from the kit. They are the basic battleline unit of the faction. They should represent the basic identity of the faction. I don't want a radical departure from the core aesthetic of the faction in this unit. 

If any unit is going to be a bit different, it should the new weirdboy unit. 

• Like 14
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Morghot said:

Pretty disappointed, I really like the sculpt but it is a brute, smaller maybe, with a mask ok, but it is still 100% a brute.

For a new unit release after 7 years I expected new things not a "small brute with mask" sigh.

Yeah :(

ibs2pX29I0krN18Y.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think this guy is pretty cool, but when Brutes are distinguished from Hard Boys mostly by being larger and more armoured, it is hard to make a Hard Boys character that doesn't look like a Brute.

That's kind of an Orc/Ork/Orruk issue altogether throughout time, a Nob is no different from an Ork Boy other than its size and its wargear. A Megaboss is just a big Brute as is a Murknob to a gutrippa. I personally think it's fine having Ardboyz fall into the IJ camp good and proper instead of being yet another type of orruk who doesn't really fit well in the overall theme. 

Maybe they could have done a bit more to him, like giving him a squig on a chain, a big horn attached to his armour to bellow out his voice like a megaboss or some form or orruky looking snappas for arms but other than that their isn't much you can do for ironjawz due to their nature of not messing about with flashy gubbins and regimental standards. 

A big boss wasn't really different from a warboss in fantasy. Orcs of all flavours should really be determined by their size its kind of their thing. Its what makes them different. They don't wear fancy hats, medals, posh uniforms, it's all about bigger is better.

It'll all depend on the ardboyz themselves, but so far he fits into the range perfectly and he shouldn't be extra flashy when he's pretty far down on the Ironjaw totem pole, he isn't a megaboss. 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

Just now, Boss Casman said:

Well, maybe he's brute sized since he's a "Big Boss" and the regular Ardboyz will be smaller than him? I do like the model.

Same, I like him. The pose, half helm and chainmail cape really sets him apart. None of the IJ models are in a commanding leading the troops pose, he is. He has a sense of generalship about him where everyone else in the army is in the midst of battle and waaagh fever.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think this guy is pretty cool, but when Brutes are distinguished from Hard Boys mostly by being larger and more armoured, it is hard to make a Hard Boys character that doesn't look like a Brute.

…the lack of an apostrophe and contraction for ‘Ardboys really changes things, doesn’t it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

this new models of ironjaws are pretty sad,they are almost the same brutes but only with minor changes.

it fells the same than fyreslayers where all are naked dwarfs and now ironjawz is the same all are the same big orc and only ironjaw player can diferentiate the units

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Morghot said:

Pretty disappointed, I really like the sculpt but it is a brute, smaller maybe, with a mask ok, but it is still 100% a brute.

For a new unit release after 7 years I expected new things not a "small brute with mask" sigh.

I'm fine with a hero looking like his mainline troops, he has a freeguild Marshal vibe to him with a destructiony twist in that he's surveying the badlands and giving out a command whilst still looking fundamentally ironjawz. I've had them since they came out in 1st ed sigmar and I agree somewhat in that something more after 7 years, but that'll probably be the weirdbrutes, not the heroes. 

I've always wanted heavy metal big paladin style brutes, with pig iron tower shields and smashas/big armoured hammer gauntlets or some form of siege unit like the old armoured trolls and FW chaos giant. That's where the army should be getting more unique and different, heros can mirror the core of the army. Megabosses, warchanters even gordrakk are all basically brutes to the core, with some gubbins thrown on top and a size increase. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Doko said:

this new models of ironjaws are pretty sad,they are almost the same brutes but only with minor changes.

it fells the same than fyreslayers where all are naked dwarfs and now ironjawz is the same all are the same big orc and only ironjaw player can diferentiate the units

How would you make them different whilst also looking like they belong in the army? If we look back to old fantasy all orcs looked the same, be it a boy, arrer bow, boar boy, black orc or boss. 

The old ardboys just didn't fit in at all and even in a lore sense they were basically hangers on, not true blooded IJz. Its like hobgrots in kruleboyz and snarlfangs in gloomspite. They don't really fit the overall theme and aesthetic of their parent army. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

How would you make them different whilst also looking like they belong in the army? If we look back to old fantasy all orcs looked the same, be it a boy, arrer bow, boar boy, black orc or boss. 

The old ardboys just didn't fit in at all and even in a lore sense they were basically hangers on, not true blooded IJz. Its like hobgrots in kruleboyz and snarlfangs in gloomspite. They don't really fit the overall theme and aesthetic of their parent army. 

there are many options,diferent armor than brutes,less muscles,diferent weapons etc.

but this is 100% the same brute model with same armor,only diferent shoulder and mask and thats it is.

dont get me wrong,the model is great(as brutes are great also) but from a non ironjawz player i only see other brute that is the same that the non fyreslayers players think about our army.

i really wish that when fyreslayes get new models dont be as this new ironjaws release and we get more naked dwarfs but diferent helmet lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

🙂

Those aren't in the BT so probably not gonna happen. I love how we are getting a big Cities release and people still want more minis. Ah, Warhammer fans... 

The Gnarlspirit pack aren't in the slaves battletome despite coming out before the battletome. The Shadeborn are also not in the DoK battletome despite coming out at around the same time as the book. 

Also if not Cities, who is going to be in the next starter box? I doubt they'd do Stormcast again. Every faction except for Sons of Behemat  have had an underworlds warband. Most have had two or more. I could see a Nurgle unit as one half but I've no idea about the other. They normally want to have one 'good' faction in the starter and cities feel like the perfect fit. If they don't appear in the lauch box, I would be genuinely surprised if they don't appear in the next season or 2. 

To me, that boos looks really good. I love the tusk helmet. We already have seen the new ardboyz (in the grunta side car), but I hope we'll still have weapons option, with shield and will be unit of ten instead of 5, stay 32mm and a better profile (hit on 3+ and rend please !). I hope that boss will have options too (head and weapons).

Developer interview/discussion about designing the new Cities of Sigmar.

First part covering the models, the next part will be lore.

We envisaged teams of blacksmiths and tailors and armourers making everything by hand, and that had to be represented on the kits – to tell the story. There are no factories making bags or surcoats in the Mortal Realms, so every Steelhelm wears slightly different versions of these. We had to treat ourselves like fashion designers. “Today, we’re making bags”.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Doko said:

there are many options,diferent armor than brutes,less muscles,diferent weapons etc.

but this is 100% the same brute model with same armor,only diferent shoulder and mask and thats it is.

dont get me wrong,the model is great(as brutes are great also) but from a non ironjawz player i only see other brute that is the same that the non fyreslayers players think about our army.

i really wish that when fyreslayes get new models dont be as this new ironjaws release and we get more naked dwarfs but diferent helmet lol

How would you make the armour different? Going back to the black orc style? Same with the weapon. Which again doesn't fit in with the parent faction. 

I think that's the issue, non ironjaw players don't seem the grasp the theme of ironjawz and thats not me trying to be rude or anything. They are very distinct in how they forge their armour and weapons, it a big part of their backstory the same way with why they don't have musicians and banners. 

Ardboys currently are just drawn to the IJ waaagh, and are really regimented which IJs hate. This looks to be a total redesign of ardboys and gives us an idea of what it's like to be a basic orruk instead of your either a massive brute or a skinny lanky Gutrippa. Now it looks like ironjawz at their lowest start as ardboyz and grow and fight their way to brute status. To me thats perfect. 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Chikout said:

images(9).jpeg.9fb23cde4b8f09d265de380c6735b018.jpegibs2pX29I0krN18Y.jpg.2df348bb9b3f61f2fa85da2811519917.jpg

I think they look different enough. When they are stood next to each other the size difference will be obvious. The armour on the Ardboy is still more rounded than the brute. I'm not sure what people are expecting from the kit. They are the basic battleline unit of the faction. They should represent the basic identity of the faction. I don't want a radical departure from the core aesthetic of the faction in this unit. 

If any unit is going to be a bit different, it should the new weirdboy unit. 

Without knowing too much about  IJ, if you show me this two pics and I have to guess which one is the brute I would say the second. Imo, being said that it is looking awesome, it is a design problem. Units have to be able to quickly stand without having to learn from the game. This would help either with the games being quicker and in terms of sales, as having easy to spot variety could create more casual sales.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

Without knowing too much about  IJ, if you show me this two pics and I have to guess which one is the brute I would say the second. Imo, being said that it is looking awesome, it is a design problem. Units have to be able to quickly stand without having to learn from the game. This would help either with the games being quicker and in terms of sales, as having easy to spot variety could create more casual sales.

The bigger is the Brute, the problem is that Ironjawz are different by their size and we are comparing both models without a scale. If both are on 40mm bases then the second is clearly smaller.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AzarFreymann said:

To me, that boos looks really good. I love the tusk helmet. We already have seen the new ardboyz (in the grunta side car), but I hope we'll still have weapons option, with shield and will be unit of ten instead of 5, stay 32mm and a better profile (hit on 3+ and rend please !). I hope that boss will have options too (head and weapons).

I could see the new ardboys having options for shield and choppa (give IJs a 3+ save unit that isn't a megaboss) and then ones without a shield but a two handed hacka. I'd love them to be 10 orruk base to divert them from brutes even if it means they go up on cost to say 170-180pts. Never sat right with me having them as 80pt battleline tax fillers. Maybe let them class as 1 more body when contesting if near the new boss or megaboss, as they try Impress the big uns

17 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The Gnarlspirit pack aren't in the slaves battletome despite coming out before the battletome. The Shadeborn are also not in the DoK battletome despite coming out at around the same time as the book. 

Also if not Cities, who is going to be in the next starter box? I doubt they'd do Stormcast again. Every faction except for Sons of Behemat  have had an underworlds warband. Most have had two or more. I could see a Nurgle unit as one half but I've no idea about the other. They normally want to have one 'good' faction in the starter and cities feel like the perfect fit. If they don't appear in the lauch box, I would be genuinely surprised if they don't appear in the next season or 2. 

Could do seraphon, they've only got the 1 underworld set and they could lean into like a beast master one. A blessed saurus of iztl with 3 or so hunting companions. A tiny razordon, a haunchi jaguar type creature, baby carno/aggro 🥹 or some flying creature. 

• LOVE IT! 2

21 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Developer interview/discussion about designing the new Cities of Sigmar.

First part covering the models, the next part will be lore.

Ohhh, I really like this.

So if I understand it correctly, the designers wanted this to be:

• MAIN focus: what the average person from any realm/city looks like in an army, not just in general (i.e.: city life)
  • Low(er) fantasy than most other armies, serving as a point of comparison to really highlight the strangeness of everything else
  • More technology focused than most, but mostly medieval and "old" technology (presumably to differentiate them from Kharadron) (Still hope we see some wackier steam things in line with the Steam Tank/Gyrocopters)
  • General aesthetic is worn, rugged, hand made clothes/armour/bags, beaten-down and carrying a lot of materials/baggage to just live, but still determined and not just punching bags/"lowly peasants"

Also, no mention of city duardin or aelves. Really hope they get brought up in the lore article/future articles.

• Like 8

What I love with 3rd edition is its renewal of AOS 1st ed. Seasons of Wars themes (mostly : post-apocalyptical wilderness in need of taming), but with better worldbuilding (8 years of releases helping).

And what is more "fantasy post-apoc" than constant warfare, survival of the fittest elite orruks aka Ironjawz AND degenerate, cave dwelling subhuman mutants, aka Flesh-eater courts ? I'm so glad we'll get both a good Ironjawz and FEC updates with REIGN OF BRUTE and the Battletome this Winter :)

BTW I'm still not believing that in the next 6 months we'll get the aforementioned large-ish waves for AOS proper (including a new Troggoth for GSG), 6 Warcry Warbands (including Kruleboyz and CoS) and another Underworld season (inc. Destruction gang), alongside the rest of CoS and 2 more Dawnbringers supplements after Reign of Brute ! That's amazing :D

NOT counting side-releases like the Warhammer+ Vampire lady and the Blacktalons Team... Cherry on top : TOW with plastic kits and probably....

A NEW ARMY IN 2024 aka Chorfs :P

• Like 4