The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I think a lot of veterans forget what it's like to be a young beginner. I don't care about Space Marines at all now, but it's was absolutely them that got me into the hobby. It's also definitely true that Stormcast and marines are much easier to paint than the new cities miniatures. 

The imperial guard are the "Greg and his mates" of 40k but despite being around since the beginning, they have never been the poster boys of that setting and with good reason. 

I'd like to see Cities become a bigger part of the setting with more minis and especially more lore but I don't think they should replace Stormcast as the beginner faction even if I would personally love to see a cities Vs Skaven launch box next edition. 

When I was a beginner, I was already struggling to paint a Fire Warrior, despite the boxy flat armor with deep recesses (perfect for Agrax Earthshade) and the need for just 2,3 colours. I can't imagine how a beginner would feel like in front of one of the new Steelhelms. Or even a Lumineth spearman for that matter.

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 9

20 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

When I was a beginner, I was already struggling to paint a Fire Warrior, despite the boxy flat armor with deep recesses (perfect for Agrax Earthshade) and the need for just 2,3 colours. I can't imagine how a beginner would feel like in front of one of the new Steelhelms. Or even a Lumineth spearman for that matter.

I am kinda a beginner, and I am going straight to paint CoS. I played around with some WHF and a little bit of 40k like 16 years ago, when I was a teenager, but I painted them with the classic non diluted paints. So I am kinda starting now.

I never liked the Space Marines, instead I went into Kasrkins and High Elves for WFB. Also, while doing second hand trades I saw a lot of newbies, some going for the poster boys in both 40k and AoS and some not.

Obviously the easy to paint explanation has its point, but I don't think it is that much of the reason for them to be the poster boys. Imo newbies just pick what they like and I don't think they even consider how easy or not they are to paint. In fact I guess many would underestimate painting miniatures, hehe.

Also youtube is an awesome tool to see painting guides nowdays, so newbies start one step ahead than us, imo.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I am kinda a beginner, and I am going straight to paint CoS. I played around with some WHF and a little bit of 40k like 16 years ago, when I was a teenager, but I painted them with the classic non diluted paints. So I am kinda starting now.

I never liked the Space Marines, instead I went into Kasrkins and High Elves for WFB. Also, while doing second hand trades I saw a lot of newbies, some going for the poster boys in both 40k and AoS and some not.

Obviously the easy to paint explanation has its point, but I don't think it is that much of the reason for them to be the poster boys. Imo newbies just pick what they like and I don't think they even consider how easy or not they are to paint. In fact I guess many would underestimate painting miniatures, hehe.

Also youtube is an awesome tool to see painting guides nowdays, so newbies start one step ahead than us, imo.

Its true that newbies will probably not care when buying their first models but  it will certainly influence whether they buy more.

If you like your first paint job you will go on to paint more and or challenge yourself to more complex models.
If you don't like it or don't even finish it because it was too hard to get a satisfying result many won't give it another chance.

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 4

On the painting topic I think it's more subjective than that. Some want the challenge while others just want to "slap chop" some models and get em on the board asap. 

I don't think it's as easy to lump all noobs together like that. 

However this could turn into a nice thread topic of its own as not to clutter up the rumors and general chat 😉 thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

On the painting topic I think it's more subjective than that. Some want the challenge while others just want to "slap chop" some models and get em on the board asap. 

However this could turn into a nice thread topic of its own as not to clutter up the rumors and general chat 😉 thread. 

Be the change you want to see in the world.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I could see Cities being included in a future Hachette Partworks. Stormbringer is currently weaving a narrative around Orruks and Gloomspite fighting Stormcast, Sylvaneth and Kharadron. If we get Skaven in the 4th ed starter, plus intact building terrain as we think. Then Stormcast and Cities of Sigmar defending a city from Skaven attacks would be a pretty good narrative to hinge on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EonChao said:

I could see Cities being included in a future Hachette Partworks. Stormbringer is currently weaving a narrative around Orruks and Gloomspite fighting Stormcast, Sylvaneth and Kharadron. If we get Skaven in the 4th ed starter, plus intact building terrain as we think. Then Stormcast and Cities of Sigmar defending a city from Skaven attacks would be a pretty good narrative to hinge on.

Wasn't Stormbringer unable to be released on its first attempt on the UK? Maybe there's a pause in terms of the AoS magazine after the current one.

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

best part of slap chop is that its a good base to do some advanced stuff on top of.
Mostly its a rebranding of a technique that has been used by painters for ages in a way that's more accessible for less experienced hobbyists. Namely "transparent ink over zenithal highlight". Before THWG's video I'd never even seen a tutorial for doing a zenithal with a dry brush before. Pretty much all the guides were using airbrushes.

I get comments on how well my models look even with just a slap chop and maybe a little bit of extra highlighting/drybrushing over the top.

Painting armies is a lot about time management too, slap chop the 120 grots, then if you want to take something really far go wild on the heroes and monsters.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Tervindar said:

I really hope that for the second wave of CoS, we get a unit that has spears/pikes. It feels really odd not having that considering they are humans facing against all kinds of untold monsters

100% agree, one of the Steelhelm preview articles even mentions spears among the weapons used :|

fingers crossed for mixed-race militia pike unit, though i wouldn't be surprised if it's just aelves.

hope we have a devoted wave 2 because what they said doesn't match with the final product.

same for:

In order to cover the incredible diversity of settlements that make up the Cities of Sigmar, we’ve included rules for 11 different Cities...

...This array of rules also provides a wide range of effects to choose from if you want to represent a city of your own creation

special city rules are very lackluster.

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Wasn't Stormbringer unable to be released on its first attempt on the UK? Maybe there's a pause in terms of the AoS magazine after the current one.

It was still released. I think it was pushed back due to the overlap between it and Imperium being more than made sense business wise but I honestly don't know if we'll ever know.

51 minutes ago, AzarFreymann said:

Do you think we'll have an update of allegeances/command traits/artifacts/warscrolls of OW with the new Ironjawz release and 2nd Dawnbringer book ? I haven't read the first one :) 

It's certainly possible given the rewrite of some of the FEC warscrolls in book 1. I think Allegiance abilities, etc are probably unlikely to change, but some warscroll changes could happen (even if only for Ardboyz to match the new models).

4 minutes ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

We must be getting a Kruleboyz Vanguard box or something then. I don’t think they’d discontinue the killaboss on gnashtoof otherwise

We are gonna get an Orruk Warclans Vanguard, it would be very funny that everybody is expecting the new IJs kits and they put this box instead 🤣

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Maybe this didnt sell and they are repackaging? Can still buy half a dominion box for that price.

Reboxing? Why? That kit uses the white box so repackaging doesn't have any sense and the Dominion box is not a official catalogue item right now, so for GW it is like removing the kit.

4 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Reboxing? Why? That kit uses the white box so repackaging doesn't have any sense and the Dominion box is not a official catalogue item right now, so for GW it is like removing the kit.

Guess thats true. I meant repackaging like maybe just selling the two characters together. Or are they all on the same sprue?

Edited by Gitzdee