The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I've been playing AoS since the first GHB and I'm deeply indifferent bout the upcoming edition. Over the course of 3rd my local gaming group went from about 20ish regular players to 0-2, and this new edition doesn't look like it's going to fix that. There are minor improvements sure, but all the pain points of the current edition are still there. It's a huge shame because this is the best time to be getting hyped and starting a new project, but there's just nothing in the rules they've previewed that has made me excited.

I've got 5 different AoS armies, probably about 20,000 points all told, but I just can't seem to want to get hobbying. I was planning on getting the darkoath box and Abraxia, but now I just look at the cost and think... eh. I've already got the old marauders built and painted, what's the point of getting the new sculpts? And even if I really like the Abraxia model I have no desire to pay that much extra for a unit of Varanguard I'll probably never use so I'll hold off on the FOMO box for now and, odds are, by the time she releases solo there may be no point in ever buying her. I don't know if it's the most recent rounds of squatting or the upcoming price hike, but honestly I'm so down with everything it's got me wondering if I'm just about done with the hobby entirely. 

It is sad that you are feeling that way, but I would separate GW and the hobby. With those 20k points worth of minis you can play many games, including some that are gaining popularity like One Page Rules.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Well no not Bonesplitterz why they be in that Spearhead book?

And at least between the old skaven or BoC boxset, one or both of them are also not in there if we are to believe the numbers are correct.

official support also seem a bit counter to how they down this historically which is more in line with Life support.

I'll concede that the Official Support mentioned through 2025 may not intend Spearhead, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't? Balancing for AOS proper seems like it would be much more of a challenge than having 2 Spearheads that will go Legends.

24 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Problem is, then Stormcast across the board need another health point (as they probably should've been at 3W base anyway), but that didn't happen per the liberator warscroll :(

Aaah, that's true. Well than GW have placed themself in a corner with the dwarfs with this:image.png.e96ec8bfeaed2c51349990b86634af7f.png

As those FS dwarfs are almost naked 😄

Still I think FS dwarfs should be 3 Health and CoS and KO dwarfs 2 Health as base. It makes all those dwarfs a bit more special.

So Vulkite Berzerkers with slingshields could be 3 Health / 5+ save and the Berzerkers with axes could be 3 Health / 6+ save.

• Like 1

Anyone else already started painting up some spearheads? 

Im really excited by the hobby prospect of spearhead. I already usually buy a box set such as the darkoath army set for a painting project so the idea of the spearhead boxes really appeal to me 

Think I'm  going to start with Stormcast, I really like the hallowed knights colour scheme. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HCMistborn said:

I haven't seen it anywhere but it seems like they haven't ported over the stupid rule of three to AOS 4th. That was a worry I had was the ugly stuff from 40k bleeding over. 

I feel as though it's simply less of an issue in AoS because of the higher point costs. 

9 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Im really excited by the hobby prospect of spearhead. I already usually buy a box set such as the darkoath army set for a painting project so the idea of the spearhead boxes really appeal to me 

Think I'm  going to start with Stormcast, I really like the hallowed knights colour scheme. 

Especially since you can play a game with them without adding more units!

I just started the Warclans (Kruleboyz) box. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Just finished building the Flesh-eaters spearhead! I hope I will have it at least battle ready be the time the rules drops.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is sad that you are feeling that way, but I would separate GW and the hobby. With those 20k points worth of minis you can play many games, including some that are gaining popularity like One Page Rules.

I'd love to, but unfortunately until they take off here there's not much chance for me to try it out. I've never seen anyone playing OPR (I think, I guess it's hard to differentiate between that and regular games of warhammer) and there's no official game nights for it. I don't have any close friends that play miniature games I can try it out with either, so it's play what the gaming group is playing or nothing at all. 40k is going strong right now and I've been working on a Tyranid army for a while, but I'm having just as many problems getting excited for that. We'll see how it goes, I've been playing miniature games for close to 25 years now but the way everything keeps getting more expensive and with how uncertain rules are I'm just having trouble keeping up. Certainly not the end of the world to hang up the brushes for good but I'd be a bit bummed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Aaah, that's true. Well than GW have placed themself in a corner with the dwarfs with this:image.png.e96ec8bfeaed2c51349990b86634af7f.png

Still I think FS dwarfs should be 3 Health and CoS and KO dwarfs 2 Health as base. It makes all those dwarfs a bit more special.

So Vulkite Berzerkers with slingshields could be 3 Health / 5+ save and the Berzerkers with axes could be 3 Health / 6+ save.

In my mind shield should be used as weapon more then protection) so I would like to see mw on 6+ saves.
something like Vulkite 2w 5+ with 2 1h weapon 2 attacks 3+/3+/-1/1 autowound on 6+ +1 attack if they charge
Vulkites 2w 5+ with 1 1h weapon and shield 2 attacks 3+/3+/-1/1 +1 attack if they was charged deal 1 mw on 6+ save
Hearthguards 3w 5+ ward +1 to ward rolls if friendly hero is withon 9"

• Like 1

Something to think about with the cut factions is that they are specifically getting a digital Battletome. They aren't getting a faction pack like the other factions (which is where they've said the Spearhead rules would be for each faction) and will be treated as separate factions from the sounds of it (I.e. Sacrosanct chamber won't be part of the SCE faction, ruleswise, Bonesplittas won't be part of Warclans). 

It will be interesting to see how what they get differs (if at all) from the "faction packs"/indexes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some KO scrolls from spearhead. It should resolve the 2 wounds arkanauts speculation. Also KO seem to have kept their multiple weapons profile...

@Beliman I imagine this is of your interest!

image.png.f43701f2f6037d2236c579857e7b3cf1.png

image.png.83c5ae098b4e1f23caeaf68b0482f185.png

image.png.e0b33e5a24288e4e3e0f708cc28435a8.png

Screenshot_20240520-1348092.webp.97f9aad5a054f632ae2e013f83e1cc3e.webp

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

I've been playing AoS since the first GHB and I'm deeply indifferent bout the upcoming edition. Over the course of 3rd my local gaming group went from about 20ish regular players to 0-2, and this new edition doesn't look like it's going to fix that. There are minor improvements sure, but all the pain points of the current edition are still there. It's a huge shame because this is the best time to be getting hyped and starting a new project, but there's just nothing in the rules they've previewed that has made me excited.

I've got 5 different AoS armies, probably about 20,000 points all told, but I just can't seem to want to get hobbying. I was planning on getting the darkoath box and Abraxia, but now I just look at the cost and think... eh. I've already got the old marauders built and painted, what's the point of getting the new sculpts? And even if I really like the Abraxia model I have no desire to pay that much extra for a unit of Varanguard I'll probably never use so I'll hold off on the FOMO box for now and, odds are, by the time she releases solo there may be no point in ever buying her. I don't know if it's the most recent rounds of squatting or the upcoming price hike, but honestly I'm so down with everything it's got me wondering if I'm just about done with the hobby entirely. 

I'm in a similar boat as you, tbh. AoS 1.0 got me back into the miniatures hobby after a college+early career hiatus. I have some amount of an army across all four GA's, and I likely also have 10-20k points in stuff. 

For me, it's the one-two punch of yet another round of cuts and a price-hike announcement less than a month later. I could stomach a lot of GW's decisions, but I'm not sure how they felt reasonable punting people's time/money/hobby investment and turning right around to feel like they, actually, deserve even more money. I already didn't love their decision-making, and now kits that were $30 are $60+ now and only getting more expensive. 

I've been trying to get my wife and a couple close friends to play any miniatures game for years now. My friends and I are not at the "wealthy" tax bracket, though we mostly have stable work. I genuinely, in good conscious, could not possibly ask any of them to invest anything in GW. IF they like the models, more power to them: my buddy loves Skaven and loves the 4.0 models. Lucky for GW, the artists they don't properly credit still are great enough to draw people in to their products. I can't pretend like I won't be tempted by some particularly-cool Chorf plastics. 

I'm in the position where I've wanted to get into the FLGS AoS scene: I've tried to start four different armies and GW majorly adjusts battletomes and rules before I can get a couple games under my belt to feel confident enough to play with randoms in public. Combined-race Cities, Legion of Grief, Slaanesh-marked Beasts, and now "Horns of Hashut flavored Slaves to Darkness" have all been axed before I can even finish building to 1500. And I was so close with the Horns. I wanted Slaves to be "my army" until the Chorf book, and I themed all my leaders and Chaos Knights appropriately. I now have heavily converted (and financially expensive to have built) leaders and Knights to match a battleline option that was axed less than two full years after it was released. I'd love to be in the FLGS enough to have my finger on the pulse, but my hectic actual life has prevented me from having a ton of hobby time until the last couple months. Just in time for GW to bin my 4th attempt AoS army.

And GW wants more money from me? Laughable. If it was not for the legion of creatives (both employed and stockholm syndromed) under their sway, GW would be cooked. 

Edited by Pizzaprez
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

If I’m not mistaken based on other warscrolls not I don’t think shields and axes will exist separately anymore but will be rolled into one 

Today's revela actually has me excited now. I've been liking what I've saw buya bit apprehensive but I'm starting to see the picture in my head now of how it's gonna play (and probably realise ive got it wrong when I see the first batrep!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

as excited as I am for the game mode itself--I'm a bit pissed on the models side tbqh. I am missing a single model for BOTH Seraphon and Stormcast Spearheads... a 90USD carnosaur and a 60USD chariot :( am really hoping the Fire & Jade book shows some substitutions or something, because I really don't want to have to shell out full price for either of those.

31 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

as excited as I am for the game mode itself--I'm a bit pissed on the models side tbqh. I am missing a single model for BOTH Seraphon and Stormcast Spearheads... a 90USD carnosaur and a 60USD chariot :( am really hoping the Fire & Jade book shows some substitutions or something, because I really don't want to have to shell out full price for either of those.

Keep an eye out for stormbringer magazine as you get the Stormcast chariot in there, coincidentally I assembled the chatiot I got from the magazine just a few hours ago lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Keep an eye out for stormbringer magazine as you get the Stormcast chariot in there, coincidentally I assembled the chatiot I got from the magazine just a few hours ago lol

i believe the singles are sold out :( and i'm in the US

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Grimrock said:

3rd was responsible for the people in my group playing a lot less as well. Some of the things sound better in 4th but they did bring back a lot of bad stuff too. GW needs talented game designers very fast. And the bullpoopoo with locking new minis behind tons of old minis everyone already has is poor form as well. 

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 2

In the seventh edition, new plastic chaos knights came out, replacing the new chaos knights that came out in the sixth edition.

Besides, they were much larger and against armies like Bretonnia the scale was ridiculous and still is.

Reading comments I wondered how long some have been in Warhammer or how little they know GW.

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I'd love to, but unfortunately until they take off here there's not much chance for me to try it out. I've never seen anyone playing OPR (I think, I guess it's hard to differentiate between that and regular games of warhammer) and there's no official game nights for it. I don't have any close friends that play miniature games I can try it out with either, so it's play what the gaming group is playing or nothing at all. 40k is going strong right now and I've been working on a Tyranid army for a while, but I'm having just as many problems getting excited for that. We'll see how it goes, I've been playing miniature games for close to 25 years now but the way everything keeps getting more expensive and with how uncertain rules are I'm just having trouble keeping up. Certainly not the end of the world to hang up the brushes for good but I'd be a bit bummed. 

Why do you feel you need to give gw money to continue playing? The core rules and indexes are going to be free. I'm quite sure wahapedia is going to continue doing it's thing. You've presumably got quite a lot of models. The cut models are going to get rules. If you've got a gaming group you can talk to, there's no reason you have to abide by GW's one year limit. Then there's also 3d printing. Even if you don't have a printer yourself, there are companies that will print and ship something to you. 

Personally I am excited about 4th. Ruleswise, aside from battle tactics, all my personal pain points look like they've been dealt with and as I've said before I genuinely think the launch box looks like a good value set. When I bought Soul wars I bought the four little easy to build sets they released alongside it and the objective markers. I spent the same amount of money as the new box set and still only had 68 models. I'm curious what the pain points are for you in the actual game, because that's the part I'm most excited about. 

• Like 9