The Rumour Thread

14 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Is it possible that you can only take one heroic trait and artefact of power per army?

That's my only (minor) problem. We didn't have customization before, so it's not a lost. Just a missed oportunity.

Everything else seems good to great (not a fan of BT but they seems to be engaging).

I guess there alway anvil of apotheosis for the narrative flair

but path of glory rules tend to be a mix bag or go to deep or to shallow then what people want them to be like territories, Veteran abilities, and customs traits 

40 minutes ago, novakai said:

I guess there alway anvil of apotheosis for the narrative flair

but path of glory rules tend to be a mix bag or go to deep or to shallow then what people want them to be like territories, Veteran abilities, and customs traits 

With GW so eager to sell similar books every edition, I'm honestly sort of surprised Anvil of Apotheosis and PTG haven't been split into their own books. 

I could see a meaty PTG selling well, and Blood in the Badlands-style supplements to add new mechanics, locations, or just inspiration campaigns to when your gaming group's whistle. 

Similarly, I could see Anvil of Apotheosis being another great once-an-edition book. I get that then you couldnt split all that stuff into 50 army books and White Dwarf issues, but I think having a one-click "I want to try to run a narrative campaign with my friends" book seems great? 

GW could even nickle-and-dime the community by having an Anvil for each GA and GA-specific PTG supplements under the guise of "that way we can update them earlier if we have something particularly exciting" (whenever they want a bump for the shareholders)

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

Ah I misunderstood, I thought you meant it was too much. I am thinking they balanced 5 around the fact that your monster will likely kill at least 5-10 of a 10-20 model unit.

Given how much they are trying to push units into serving specific roles in an army, it's more likely that it is just intentional for large squads of Infantry to be able to control objects better than big monsters. It helps to give incentive for people to run squads like that instead of the large monsters being objectively better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Just to check, have they confirmed if the AoS core rules and Warscrolls (including Spearhead) will be free? 

AoS 3 has its rules free to download (without lore), I doubt they will change that. And I think I've read Spearhead will be only for free as well. About the warscrolls, if you mean the index ones, they will, but once the BT is available they disappear from the web.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Just to check, have they confirmed if the AoS core rules and Warscrolls (including Spearhead) will be free? 

40k 10th had it's core rules and Crusade downloadable for free, so I'd be surprised if AoS was any different. 

3 hours ago, Tonhel said:

What with the command traits for the duardin, Aelves? Will there be one for human, duardin, Aelf? Or will there no race specific heroic traits anymore? Or will there be only heroic traits for humans, what with only 3 artefacts of power. 

One would hope that all of the heroic traits will be race/species agnostic and would apply the same to all of them. A possible side benefit of simplifying things?

14 hours ago, Enoby said:

After quite a hectic few years with family illness and the local AoS group disappearing completely in AoS 3, I'm hopefully not being too optimistic when I say I (alongside the play group) will be returning to Age of Sigmar with 4th edition.

I'm happy with most of the changes presented, and glad that there's going to be a 'simple' spearhead mode for quick games. One of the biggest issues the group had for adopting AoS 3 was how finicky it felt, and that much of the complexity felt tacked on - which hopefully AoS 4 remedies. 

I actually had the chance to play AoS 4 at Warhammer World, and it might just have been the time between that and last playing, but I really enjoyed myself. The gameplay was smooth and nothing felt overly strong.

I think I'm in the minority when I say I'd like to see a few things 'nerfed' - I'd like the game to be a bit less lethal, and for more opportunities to use the models brought to the table before they're destroyed. AoS 3 games relatively quickly began to feel very samey.

So, glad to be back for AoS 4!

Happy to see one of my favourite people in the TGA community back and hope that 4th is going be a great edition! 

Personally I am happy with everything I have seen rules wise about the coming edition, my only complaint is related to the loss of Beasts of Chaos and unit squatting which have less to do with the edition and more to do with business practices. But it does make me a little more wary of picking up some fun niche units that might not factor into GW's future decisions such as the fantastic Saviours of Cinderfall. But from the vantage of a hobbyist the new models are stunning and tempting me to infest my apartment with Rats. As a fan of the game the rules look really solid and I look forward to getting to try Spearhead but also full AOS. Finally from a lore perspective I am always excited to see more of the Mortal Realms.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, ArcLight said:

One would hope that all of the heroic traits will be race/species agnostic and would apply the same to all of them. A possible side benefit of simplifying things?

Which is imo dumbing down. If GW still want to have a diverse CoS army, which include different races, than race specific lores, heroic traits, artefacts of power and orders needs to be race specific. That is something that CoS makes unique. The difference between a cities duardin, Aelf or human is more than just looking visual different.

• Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Which is imo dumbing down. If GW still want to have a diverse CoS army, which include different races, than race specific lores, heroic traits, artefacts of power and orders needs to be race specific. That is something that CoS makes unique. The difference between a cities duardin, Aelf or human is more than just looking visual different.

I don't know. I like the idea of artifacts being decided by role in the next book rather than race. The are more Duardin engineers but there are still some humans with similar capabilities. In fact one of Josh Reynolds' books stars a human member of the ironweld arsenal. This is a way the cities book can differentiate itself from the the Fyreslayers or Lumineth book. I'd like to see a cities book that sees the races working together rather than in isolation.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Enoby said:

I'm pretty sure they did, although they'll be doing their regular **** move of 'spend muney if you want it now, or if you want it free, you'll have to wait like a pleb'.

37 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I don't know. I like the idea of artifacts being decided by role in the next book rather than race. The are more Duardin engineers but there are still some humans with similar capabilities. In fact one of Josh Reynolds' books stars a human member of the ironweld arsenal. This is a way the cities book can differentiate itself from the the Fyreslayers or Lumineth book. I'd like to see a cities book that sees the races working together rather than in isolation.

All good and well, but it's a 180° compared with the current CoS battletome. With AoS 4th there is only one spell lore per army and what we know so far atleast for the indexes is only 1 heroic trait per army and 1 artefact of power per army. Both have only 3 options to chose from.

We currently have with CoS:

• 11 cities which will be changed to 4 battleformations.
  • 6 artefacts of power for humans, 3 for duardin and 3 for Aelves. Those 12 will be reduced to 3 and only one per army.
  • 4 command traits for humans, 3 for duardin and 3 for Aelves. Those 10 will be reduced to 3.
  • 6 spells for humans, 3 spells for Aelves. This will be reduced to one generic spell lore with only 3 spells to chose from.
  • 3 duardin prayers. We don't know many prayers there are per army.
  • And what with the 7 CoS orders. What will happen with this?

It can be that the CoS battletome will bring a lot of those things back. Sadly we have no idea and it can take months or even a year or more before we know something about the specifics of a CoS Battletome.

One of the great things of CoS was the diversity of the army, which seems to be dissapearing.

For some armies the streamlining isn't so massive as they already had not many options. If you only had 3 subfactions, 4 battle formations is a win. But for some armies it's a huge loss.

I've seen posts about that x amount of city choices were useless, but I don't agree at all. It's not about making the most competitive and strongest army. It's about making an army that interests you and if this means you don't get the best subfaction ability or best command trait, so be it. It is about your army and not somekind of uber build.

2 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

All good and well, but it's a 180° compared with the current CoS battletome. With AoS 4th there is only one spell lore per army and what we know so far atleast for the indexes is only 1 heroic trait per army and 1 artefact of power per army. Both have only 3 options to chose from.

• 6 artefacts of power for humans, 3 for duardin and 3 for Aelves. Those 12 will be reduced to 3 and only one per army.
  • 4 command traits for humans, 3 for duardin and 3 for Aelves. Those 10 will be reduced to 3.
  • 6 spells for humans, 3 spells for Aelves. This will be reduced to one generic spell lore with only 3 spells to chose from.

It can be that the CoS battletome will bring a lot of those things back. Sadly we have no idea and it can take months or even a year or more before we know something about the specifics of a CoS Battletome.

One of the great things of CoS was the diversity of the army, which seems to be dissapearing.

For some armies the streamlining isn't so massive as they already had not many options. If you only had 3 subfactions, 4 battle formations is a win. But for some armies it's a huge loss.

I've seen posts about that x amount of city choices were useless, but I don't agree at all. It's not about making the most competitive and strongest army. It's about making an army that interests you and if this means you don't get the best subfaction ability or best command trait, so be it. It is about your army and not somekind of uber build.

That's index hammer though. It's not permanent. As soon as your book comes out you will get all those options back again. It's kind of nice that all factions start out at the same level. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Chikout said:

If we talk about thematic armies (because races are just a keyword-gating to make a thematic army), Cities of Sigmar already has some unique ones: Ironweld, Collegiate Arcana, Devoted of Sigmar, Order of Azyr, etc... 

Imho, that's the main selling point, races should be mixed in all units and it would improve the feeling that you play a large metropolis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Additionally, it's not like the indexes make all previous lore redundant or anything, just now I can play a Hammerhal Ghyra army without feeling pressed in to taking a battle trait which doesn't do anything fun or interesting.  Losing choices and options can feel bad, certainly, but I don't think it really make a big impact so long as the options that are available are all compelling in some way.

(Now, granted, I'm willing to eat crow here if the indexes roll out and everyone has FEC style spell lores where only 1/3 options actually do anything!)

25 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Comparing a full BT with an index is not a fair comparison. We should delay this discussion until the new CoS BT have arrived. Then we can see if the flavour has been removed or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Comparing a full BT with an index is not a fair comparison. We should delay this discussion until the new CoS BT have arrived. Then we can see if the flavour has been removed or not.

Yes but: 1) we might be delaying this discussing until ~6 months before AoS 5th edition and 2) the flavour has (or, since we haven't seen the index yet, might have) been removed in the meantime

• Like 2

I find impressive how many skaven fans are still doubting there'll be a follow-up wave later this year. Like, bro, they've been doing second waves for all starter box factions since at least 2017, but no bro, Im sure they'll do one for sigmarines and then go and say "No, no, we can skip a skaven 2nd wave, it won't sell".

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Chikout said:

That's index hammer though. It's not permanent. As soon as your book comes out you will get all those options back again. It's kind of nice that all factions start out at the same level. 

As @Marcvs said, for some armies the index will be their main tool for the next 2 years or more. So this is semi-permanent for the edition. Again for some armies 4 battle formations is status quo or even an improvement. But some are losing a lot.

@Lucentia we will know soon what the CoS index will include, but even it's only the illusion of choice going from 11 to 4 hurts. Certainly after they did such a great BT. Also if you liked i.e the Lethis battletrait more, nothing stopped you to still make a Hammerhal Ghyra army while using the Lethis battletrait or paint your CoS in other colours than the city you chosed.

I know the AoS developers mentioned it in one of their marketing posts, that now you are finally free of specific colours attached to your subfaction thanks to battle formations, but that is rubbish. You were never restricted to specific colours or what ever. Nothing stopped a player from using the Misthavn city and saying the army is from Hammerhall, but you are using the Misthavn rules. Absolutly nothing.

Edited by Gaz Taylor
swearing :(
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Garrac said:

I find impressive how many skaven fans are still doubting there'll be a follow-up wave later this year. Like, bro, they've been doing second waves for all starter box factions since at least 2017, but no bro, Im sure they'll do one for sigmarines and then go and say "No, no, we can skip a skaven 2nd wave, it won't sell".

Do I have to find posts about the doubting Garrac when some months ago we were saying Skavens were coming in the launch box? :P

It is the same. Until some doesn't see it they won't believe it.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3