The Rumour Thread

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think that's just due to your unfamiliarity with either CoS or their historical basis.

The theme of CoS is that they are looking for safety wherever they can find it. To that end, on the battlefield, they try to bring their city walls with them. This is best exemplified by the Fusiliers and cannon:

20240609_160842.jpg.add12166cb5fda5bfb8bc75d31b8d3cf.jpg

The pavises they carry are meant to resemble castle walls, hence the name "Catellite Formation". The cannon is the gate, the Fusiliers are the walls and the Warhulks are the towers.  Here's an image from the battletome that illustrates the idea:

20240609_161552.jpg.8e821894e2c5e834135bc7b93ecb75fd.jpg

To drive the idea home, the design of the new Cities forces is based on the Hussites, who are known for their wagon-fortresses which exemplify the same idea. Here's an illustration of what they looked like:

shutterstock-1261058224.jpg

You will no doubt be able to spot a number of similarities: The helmets, the hand-gonnes, the pavises, the collars...

The historical inspirations don't end there, either. Cities also draws heavily from historical medieval art. The Gargoylians are a reference to marginalia, illustrations of fantastical creatures found in the margines of medieval books.

234aab641342a7dc374d3ae03b7ada423678ca37

20240609_164231.jpg.9db7d52a9b062a14b3cf48c841b644c5.jpg

I have also spotted a number of references to the vanitas paintings, which are basically a historical genre of painting centered around human mortality and the vanity of human ambition. Here's a direct reference, the Soul Shepard and his homunculus vs a medieval depiction of death:

20240205_083532.jpg.cda6ac5e01f4e00da5bd535e8a26c648.jpg

322b8ccc28278dcd4987c9c5840739ca.jpg.868bd559f2260db68616a4398cf41fae.jpg

The most obvious reference to vanitas paintings is Pontifex Zenestra, however. Vanitas painting is a genre with very well-defined tropes. It is common for vanitas paintings to depict a tableau of items that each stand for a certain human endeavour that we are to be reminded is in vain: Scepters for political power, coins for wealth hourglasses and skulls for youth etc. Take a look at Zenestra and see how many of those elements you can spot:

20240609_163057.jpg.b013908411c81c9b1ebc15ff9937be1b.jpg

20240609_163618.jpg.d562b67a76df0d6ea47ae0293fa4c414.jpg

There is a lot of historical inspiration in the Cities of Sigmar. I would even say more than in most other fantasy human cultures I am aware of. You just have to know where to look and actually engage with them rather than taking one glance at them and defaulting to "looks generic".

Ill add on to the whole CoS historical references

The Steelhelm being based on 15t century men at arms around the French, Swiss and Netherlands forces

(Left Empire= Landsknechte mercenary, Right Steelhelm= Swiss mercenary)

EmpireandSteelhem.png.65abe7f4048da3a73addafa7f9a1d36b.png

other swiss influence

medieval-costume-605.jpg.a1de1ac99e6635005581ae60e51ffab1.jpg

the Caviler's are based on the Spaniards & french renaissance calvary (they lack lances but like that explain in lore that there potential unit that does)  

imageedit_24_3474648944.png.84f0fc99d36fb6a623a79873dd6421e2.png

Gendarmerie philosophy and history – EUROGENDFOR

Heavy cavalry - Wikipedia

the Command corp having both a 16th century Plague doctor, 15th century shinobi & a renaissance heavy armor full platted armor knights that have ornate designs to them

imageedit_22_8222144813.png.7a9b2e07cfa7c6837cf8c2ffdc2f0c4f.png

imageedit_1_4952559525.jpg.c1e798b1c4432292bd227b15d2b81280.jpg

Warhammer Events 2024 model revealed. The Steel Rook, an alternate  Arch-Knight for the Freeguild Command Corps. : r/ageofsigmar

If anyone is wondering the helmet for the final variation of warmonger's  standard set is actually based off of this real burgonet depicting a  griffon. : r/forhonor

The Gargoylian being a product of not just Medieval marginalia  but also the proto-Surrealism artwork of Renisssance painters like Hieronymus Bosch 

The Temptation of St Anthony (Kansas City) - Wikipedia

Hieronymus Bosch: Morality and Monsters | Daydream Tourist

Hieronymus Bosch's Lost Masterpiece | The New Yorker

Hieronymus Bosch: His Life, Early Works & Best Paintings

I can go on with Bombard being a turkish bomabard, Talhia Vedra just a gender swap Jan Žižka, The Boehiman handcannon arthur already posted

so it definitely not "generic fantasy" simply cast a wide net rather the old WHF focus on one practical historical society

Edited by Dragon-knight77
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, DinoJon said:

So prior to 1.5 edition of Age of Sigmar, my game of choice was Warmachine. I kept up with the fluff in Warmachine almost 100% because I would consider the lore of the game to be relatively narrow when compared to Age of Sigmar. You could be up to date with just reading the anthology books and their No Quarter magazine. 

Really Age of Sigmar has a lot of amazing lore but it is spread out amongst so many different formats that I feel that it is hard for the average player to be able to consume all of it and by virtue of that GW has made it so a lot of the lore outside of campaign books will not push the narrative forward in any regard. Which I think since it doesn't progress the story it leaves a lot of fans feeling like Black Library books/other mediums aren't worth the investment in time and that then perpetuates that there is not enough lore for AOS. 

I personally read as many AoS books as I possibly can, just started "Darkoath" today and am hoping for some juicy tidbits about the setting post Vermindoom. 

To get back to rumors or such. There's like no chance AOS 4 gets announced today right?

Literally no chance. Think just about the FF and how many we are still missing.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Great summary about CoS inspirations, guys, but you are missing the most important one:

copy of Warcry: Hunter & Hunted (castellano)

Doggos. The historical reference to the good ol doggo comes from...

Jokes aside. I think almost anything fantasy wise can be narrowed down to historical inspiration of some kind, also, AoS tend to mix inspirations (as has been shown in the previous posts) not only time wise but cultures wise, while WHFB armies tended to be focused all around one culture and period per army or those similitude were easier to spot/associate.

Edited by Ejecutor

17 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Ill add on to the whole CoS historical references

The Steelhelm being based on 15t century men at arms around the French, Swiss and Netherlands forces

(Left Empire= Landsknechte mercenary, Right Steelhelm= Swiss mercenary)

EmpireandSteelhem.png.65abe7f4048da3a73addafa7f9a1d36b.png

other swiss influence

medieval-costume-605.jpg.a1de1ac99e6635005581ae60e51ffab1.jpg

the Caviler's are based on the Spaniards & french renaissance calvary (they lack lances but like that explain in lore that there potential unit that does)  

imageedit_24_3474648944.png.84f0fc99d36fb6a623a79873dd6421e2.png

Gendarmerie philosophy and history – EUROGENDFOR

Heavy cavalry - Wikipedia

the Command corp having both a 16th century Plague doctor, 15th century shinobi & a renaissance heavy armor full platted armor knights that have ornate designs to them

imageedit_22_8222144813.png.7a9b2e07cfa7c6837cf8c2ffdc2f0c4f.png

imageedit_1_4952559525.jpg.c1e798b1c4432292bd227b15d2b81280.jpg

Warhammer Events 2024 model revealed. The Steel Rook, an alternate  Arch-Knight for the Freeguild Command Corps. : r/ageofsigmar

If anyone is wondering the helmet for the final variation of warmonger's  standard set is actually based off of this real burgonet depicting a  griffon. : r/forhonor

The Gargoylian being a product of not just Medieval marginalia  but also the proto-Surrealism artwork of Renisssance painters like Hieronymus Bosch 

The Temptation of St Anthony (Kansas City) - Wikipedia

Hieronymus Bosch: Morality and Monsters | Daydream Tourist

Hieronymus Bosch's Lost Masterpiece | The New Yorker

Hieronymus Bosch: His Life, Early Works & Best Paintings

I can go on with Bombard being a turkish bomabard, Talhia Vedra just a gender swap Jan Žižka, The Boehiman handcannon arthur already posted

so it definitely not "generic fantasy" simply cast a wide net rather the old WHF focus on one practical historical society

What a cool and informative post.  This was a joy to read and really enlightening when it comes to where GW's designers took inspiration. Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Great summary about CoS inspirations, guys, but you are missing the most important one:

copy of Warcry: Hunter & Hunted (castellano)

Doggos. The historical reference to the good ol doggo comes from...

Jokes aside. I think almost anything fantasy wise can be narrowed down to historical inspiration of some kind, also, AoS tend to mix inspirations (as has been shown in the previous posts) not only time wise but cultures wise, while WHFB armies tended to be focused all around one culture and period per army or those similitude were easier to spot/associate.

Don't tempt me there a bunch of stuff the Wilder corp are historical base on just from their crossbows and clothing alone

but back to Rumors: Much like the Dominion celebration are we expected to a preview show any time

They got to show off the 40k Inquisition codex soon enough especially since the Soritas and Genestealer codex came out in such a rapid pace 

Another source of inspiration can be found in old movies- Soulblight obviously crib notes from the classic depiction of vampires, but a less obvious one is actually Drekki Flynt, who, when you translate his name from Khazalid and likely Kharadrid, translates to “Arrow Flynt” (Since courtesy of at least Vermintide 2, we know Drekki translates roughly to Arrow) which is a homophobe of “Errol Flynn”, an actor from the 1930s who was famous for his roles as a swashbuckling rogue, something which Drekki is. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Don't tempt me there a bunch of stuff the Wilder corp are historical base on just from their crossbows and clothing alone

but back to Rumors: Much like the Dominion celebration are we expected to a preview show any time

They got to show off the 40k Inquisition codex soon enough especially since the Soritas and Genestealer codex came out in such a rapid pace 

If it is like the Dominion Celebration, it will be on the 13th of June.

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

Has anyone read the two awesome novels about the Van Densts?

Do you refomend them? I will finish skavenslayer next week  and I'm interested in another warhammer one.

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Do you refomend them? I will finish skavenslayer next week  and I'm interested in another warhammer one.

I did read the first one, and its pretty good and fun. It also its next in time to the siege of excelsis

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Both are pretty good and I find their characters to be pretty interesting. The second book "Temple of Silence" takes place maybe a couple of months after the first. I would definitely recommend reading in order. 

• Thanks 1

The funny part is, that Lore & fluff can be told in different ways, with many of them being nonlinear or indirect. So while people might say they don't care about lore, what they mean is mostly, that they don't want to read stories or information about the background of their miniatures.

What they might not realize however, is that they might get drawn to a certain design that exists the way it does precisely because of lore & fluff. The CoS miniatures are excellent examples of that. They are deeply rooted in reference, accentuated by a fantasy touch & all in all a splendid example of the many ways of story telling that exist besides stories.

P.S. Thanks for posting so many reference images on the same point! Great work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/06/09/sunday-preview-heroes-of-beta-garmon-join-horus-heresy-and-legions-imperialis/

Horus Heresy week

EDIT: All the resin showed for HH and previous big box content outside for Legion Imperialis

That means that Dwarfs and Warcry are the only two things for the next week, or Necromunda (but that was announced for Summer so who knows).

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Greene said:

Hmm so this HH will be released on end of Jule, so maybe next week could be 4th

All rumours point to another week after the next one.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

48 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Didn't expect Legion Imperialis battlegroups, but that's a good thing for LI players.

It wasn't soon enough for the dwarves.

After both I and a friend bought a fair few of the kits in it separately... Especially my friend, he literally got all of the things featured in it!

Still waiting for the bloody Titan box set though!