The Rumour Thread

21 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Summoning being gone is another big deal for them as well

I think it's for the better, for many reasons. I've played Seraphon predominantly in smaller games and the summoning was just obliterating any notion of balance - to the point I just removed the Slann from the list and started playing Coalesced.

4 minutes ago, Flippy said:

And rightly so. As always, there are three elf factions in the game - LRL, IDK and DOK.

I know they're holdovers from the old world, but where do the "normal" fantasy elves fit in, the ones that are part of Cities of Sigmar? Are they lumineth? Or another branch of aelfhood entirely? They dont seem to have the same chaos tainted "Issues" that DoK, LRL and IDK display.  

5 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I know they're holdovers from the old world, but where do the "normal" fantasy elves fit in, the ones that are part of Cities of Sigmar? Are they lumineth? Or another branch of aelfhood entirely? They dont seem to have the same chaos tainted "Issues" that DoK, LRL and IDK display.  

They were actually native to the realms by magical intervention, which allowed them to escape Slaanesh, so they weren’t marked. It’s mentioned in at least the Idoneth battletome. 

12 minutes ago, Flippy said:

And rightly so. As always, there are three elf factions in the game - LRL, IDK and DOK.

Trust me bro Malerion is right across the corner as the 4th elf faction my inside source at GW told me he’s coming between 4th and Xth I 100% trust him

I wouldn’t consider Sylvaneth as elves because they’re more of a confederacy of forest spirit, elves and apparently humans now with DB6 and the “Kin of the stag” thing.

Btw now that KB and IJ are separate I think Malerion will not be souped in DoK. But I digress.

• Like 1

So they did trap Kragnos

"Ghyran’s troubles don’t end there. Ever since Kragnos ushered in the Era of the Beast and reduced much of the Ghurish capital Excelsis to rubble, the living battering ram had been at the forefront of numerous Waaagh!s across the Mortal Realms. Aided by their ancient ally Lord Kroak, the brothers Krondys and Karazai have attempted to recapture the God of Earthquakes many times. They only recently succeeded with the help of Alarielle the Everqueen, the resultant Council of Life trapping Kragnos in Ghyran and pitting him in a timeless battle against legions of Seraphon – a fitting prison for an avatar of Destruction, though not one that may hold for long."

also potential for an actual kragnos faction

"Their timing couldn’t be better, however – signs that a few of the lost Drogrukh may have survived the war against the Draconith were discovered in Ghyran, but quickly scrubbed from existence by the warty claw of Gobsprakk, who has been twisting prophecy to use Kragnos to his own ends. Who knows what would happen if the God of Earthquakes were ever to discover this treachery, much less reunite with his lost people?"

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/06/14/discover-what-went-down-in-the-dawnbringers-series-before-the-skaventide-washes-us-all-away/

Edited by Kempak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Looks like GW don't consider Sylvaneth elves after all... Unless Seraphon are also elves!

Im yeah they're trees, fearies and fey creature

You can't say this is a elf

image.png.73c8e5f6db5a0bc11ec95d76dbb87fa9.png

image.png.712826494ae6546cd57902c317e2f424.png

Even Alarielle is said to have change into a fey with sap blood and wooden limbs

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kempak said:

So they did trap Kragnos

"Ghyran’s troubles don’t end there. Ever since Kragnos ushered in the Era of the Beast and reduced much of the Ghurish capital Excelsis to rubble, the living battering ram had been at the forefront of numerous Waaagh!s across the Mortal Realms. Aided by their ancient ally Lord Kroak, the brothers Krondys and Karazai have attempted to recapture the God of Earthquakes many times. They only recently succeeded with the help of Alarielle the Everqueen, the resultant Council of Life trapping Kragnos in Ghyran and pitting him in a timeless battle against legions of Seraphon – a fitting prison for an avatar of Destruction, though not one that may hold for long."

"Their timing couldn’t be better, however – signs that a few of the lost Drogrukh may have survived the war against the Draconith were discovered in Ghyran, but quickly scrubbed from existence by the warty claw of Gobsprakk, who has been twisting prophecy to use Kragnos to his own ends. Who knows what would happen if the God of Earthquakes were ever to discover this treachery, much less reunite with his lost people?"

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/06/14/discover-what-went-down-in-the-dawnbringers-series-before-the-skaventide-washes-us-all-away/

It is nice that they clearly mentioned it. The circle is closed now. Let's go to the vermidooong!

12 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Trust me bro Malerion is right across the corner as the 4th elf faction my inside source at GW told me he’s coming between 4th and Xth I 100% trust him

I wouldn’t consider Sylvaneth as elves because they’re more of a confederacy of forest spirit, elves and apparently humans now with DB6 and the “Kin of the stag” thing.

Btw now that KB and IJ are separate I think Malerion will not be souped in DoK. But I digress.

I try not to participate in soup / no-soup discussions... still, I  think that Malerion will be released along the new Dark Elf faction which will consume the DOK mini-faction.

As for the Sylvaneth - I just checked the GW store and there is not a single elf under "Sylvaneth". I guess it's the -eth in the name and the WHFB memories (Alarielle!) that cloud peoples' judgement.

9 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Sylvaneth are clearly aelves and forest spirits. Tree Revs, the Warsong Revenant, Revenant Seekers, and Arch-Revs are all very much aelves. For Sylvaneth, Revenant seems to mean aelf based.

As per the 3e tome The revenant elven feature come from them mimicking the The Protectors (TOW wood elves) whom the Sylvaneth worship as minor gods for their service to the oak of ages

The Tree-Revenants strive to emulate and embody the nobility of the Protectors in everything they do, whether it be selflessly defending the tribes of the Forest Folk or the fighting styles they engage in

• Like 2

soulblight article looks alright.  No mechanics for bloodlines expected but sad.  faction traits alright, mostly the expected stuff changed in expected ways.  gravesites gone.  battle formations for skeletons, zombies, vampires, and necromancers seems about right, if far from inspired.  The skeleton ability requires outnumbering to trigger, which really has my fingers crossed that skeletons jump up to unit size 20 to match their box.  Unfortunately it also requires charging, and skeleton & grave guard units are both slow enough to make that iffy, while black knights are fast enough to reliably get to charge, but are unlikely to outnumber their opponents.  Bleh, skeleton formation looking kind of iffy.

Only one spell lore is unfortunate, I was sure vamps would be one of the few factions to get two.  And from the sample spell this lore is drawing more from the terrible vampire lore and less from the good necromancer lore.  That's really unfortunate.  I'm not a fan of the unlimited spell.

Radukar looks beaty but not too much else, I miss his ability to summon wolves.

Lauka looks good, though whether she's playable will depend not just on points but on how she compares to the generic vengorian.

Bloodknights look fantastic as dedicated anti-infantry, though without no ability to retreat and charge they're going to lose a lot of their impact after the first hit, and if they get charged by a non-infantry unit they'll have a hard time hitting back.

Vargheists look terrible.  they either needed a much better melee profile or for their teleport ability to be any movement phase instead of just your movement phase.  As is... I don't know, if they're cheap enough maybe you take one unit just to force your opponent to babysit their objectives?

My big question about skeletons (are they a unit of 10, or is their unit size increasing to 20?) wasn't answered, and my other big question (do they keep some version of their auto-healing ability) was only answered for their spearhead entry.

All in all, the spite gourds focus looks ok.  I'm not unhappy with them, but there's nothing here that excites me the way obr did with their faction traits and vokmortian, or nighthaunt did with reikenor or dreadblade harrows.  I feel kind of like I did with FEC - this feels like the same already strong army, just a little streamlined and toned town in ways that I've come to expect from 4e - not bad, but not exciting, since all of the good bits on display were slightly less good versions of the good stuff we already have.  Except the FEC focus still had Ushoran, and didn't have anything disappointed me like vile transference or vargheists.

So yeah, probably the least exciting undead faction focus, but I can't call it bad or disappointing really.  Even if the traits are lesser versions of current abilities, they're still /good/, lauka and blood knights look good, radukar doesn't look bad.  I'll be playing Soulblight for the first chunk of 4e at least just because that's what I have most painted, and I'm not coming out of this faction focus feeling bad about that at all.

EDIT: also worth noting that the cursed city stuff seems to be sticking around, at least for now.  Radubeast's scroll specifically mentiones units of vyrkos bloodborn in its rules, and Raduwolf, his Nightguard, and the Gravekeeper are all shown in one of the army pictures.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kempak said:

So they did trap Kragnos

Almost a indirect confirmation that his people are alive 

also eternally fighting Seraphon sounds more like a Hyperbolic Time chamber training arc then actual prison 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Im yeah they're trees, fearies and fey creature

You can't say this is a elf

image.png.73c8e5f6db5a0bc11ec95d76dbb87fa9.png

image.png.712826494ae6546cd57902c317e2f424.png

Even Alarielle is said to have change into a fey with sap blood and wooden limbs

I totally agree with you they are more fey them elves, but you could show photos of the lumineth elementals or dok scatherborn and make the same argument.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

Almost a indirect confirmation that his people are alive 

also eternally fighting Seraphon sounds more like a Hyperbolic Time chamber training arc then actual prison 

Very true. It's the sort of setup where they can have him advance to breaking out and meeting back up with his people anytime they feel like it. If they feel like it, I'm not actually sure, Kragnos is not exactly Mr. Popular. It's possible that they already started work on a faction for him years ago though, and it was always calculated to arrive in 4E.

6 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

I totally agree with you they are more fey them elves, but you could show photos of the lumineth elementals or dok scatherborn and make the same argument.

You could almost say the same about the short lived, ultrasound-using namarti.

In WHFB, the assorted elven peoples were all effectively the same but with different cultures. In AoS by contrast there’s clearly a pretty broad spectrum of beings dwelling in the mortal realms that fall under the category of elves.

2 minutes ago, Augusto said:

I mean, that was what happened back in dawnbringers 2, months ago

He was lured away in Dawnbringers 3 but until now there was never any sort of follow-up to confirm the aftermath and if they even trapped him or the full plan of how they planned to keep him there.

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

In WHFB, the assorted elven peoples were all effectively the same but with different cultures. In AoS by contrast there’s clearly a pretty broad spectrum of beings dwelling in the mortal realms that fall under the category of elves.

GW themselves refer to Sylvaneth as elves almost constantly on WHC.

14 minutes ago, madmac said:

He was lured away in Dawnbringers 3 but until now there was never any sort of follow-up to confirm the aftermath and if they even trapped him or the full plan of how they planned to keep him there.

There was a White Dwarf short story about how he was fighting Seraphon for multiple days and the Kruleboyz fighting under him were actually starting to get sick of the fighting and wanted to leave, but I didn't get "endless time loop" out of it so much as "this is a very big battle". 

8 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Let's say... an army composed entirely of sea creatures, but the squid sub-faction happens to wear Idoneth-styled helmets to honour the legacy of valiant Akhelians. Some of them even identify themselves as elves and will undertake great efforts to take the shape of this fair folk.

Handsome Squidward Vs Richard Watterson | Buff Squidward | sincovaga.com.br 

Sounds a bit like Sylvaneth?

• Like 1