The Rumour Thread

25 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

That explains a lot... none of that appeals to me as the basis of a AoS faction. 

But I'm not the sole market they're aiming for. If other hobbyists like all that gribbly Insectoid stuff... hoorah and I hope they go for it! 

Yeah, I suppose its very much what draws people to armies- Lumineth, couldn’t care less, FEC And Soulblight, All the boxes please 😂

Whether they explore Silent Ones is doubtful to me though. I think they’ll be part of plots and Lore like Fishmen were for sometime. Maybe one day we’ll see a miniature as part of a Warcry/Warhammer Quest. Hope I’m wrong, I wants me some bugs. 

3 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I don't know if this has been posted here before, because I don't know where I heard this in the first place, possibly here. If so, sorry for repeating info. 

This is quite obscure GW lore. Basically, the story goes that in the early 00s, Alessio Cavatore and the Warhammer studio wanted to introduce a new faction to WFB. They had a bunch of ideas but eventually narrowed the choice to two : an Ogre faction that would expand them beyond their mercenary roles in Dogs of War, or an insectoid race of creatures with an "East Asian vibe". Eventually they choose the 1st option which gave us Ogre Kingdoms, but I wounldn't be surprised if GW kept concept art of the insectoid creatures that almost became a WFB army. It would really be peak irony if the concept resurfaces in AoS (albeit very different from WFB) as the Silent People.

One strange bit about this whole thing is that when Cavatore left GW to go create his own wargame (Conquest), he said that in his super ambitious plans for Conquest (something 25+ factions), he may have an insect people faction.

I would absolutely love for them to be brought back into the fold!! There are so many interesting ways we can have them appear narratively in the lore.

Locust type Faction devouring, not the Mortals of the Realms like Ogors but simply crops. Destroying multiple cities and civilisations without ever drawing a blade.

A colony that feeds on Realmstone and Weylines and as such affects how other races can interact with their own environments. Eg; eating Aether Gold and bankrupting Kharadron fleets.

There are so many ways they can be implemented as being a true 'Destructive' Faction without ever declaring war.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

55 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Ah thats interesting, I haven’t seen an exhaustive amount of Insect people- Though I do imagine theres lots out there. But I don’t see it any less reason not to include in aos. Same as having Dwarfs, Elves, Orcs undead etc. it just needs its own little definitive character, or not. 

I think “Fantasy Tyranids” would be an instant buy for me if done dark enough. I mean something like Vulture Bees that creates its hive and Honey from the digested and processed nutrient from the meat it eats. A Faction that Would Give Flesh Eater courts a Run for it’s money. 

Mtg, New genstealers, and vulture bees  just to drive my point home.

IMG_9188.png

IMG_9191.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9193.jpeg

I don't think this is a vulture bee hive. Looking for the photos it seen to be a tetragonula hockingsi (Australian stingless bee) hive. While Vulture bees may be creepy, a lot of bugs feed on fecal material, rooting animals carcasses and rooting fruits. The majority would be pretty beautiful by our standards, like this Morphos butterfly for example. 

image.png.ca7230ffb0672c27c605bde553b8736b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm torn when it comes to "expanding" the setting's factions. Whilst I would like to see more depth given to existing factions and for existing threads to be followed up upon (Tyrion, Malerion, etc) I also can't help but feel a little disappointed that 10 years into AoS we have seen very little in the way completely "new" stuff.  

It would be nice to see a completely new, unique AoS faction for each of the Grand Alliances. I'd personally like to see a new Avian themed race over an insect-themed one, but I would take anything.... new. 

• Like 1

I don't think we will see a new faction or race that isn't built on a pre-existing, well-known fantasy race such as human, elf, dwarf, orc, goblin, vampire, troll, or giant, or tropes like elements (lightning, earth, fire, earth etc etc) or undead.

Skaven's an outlier, but the existing range all riffs on this in some form, combining these themes, with a good, neutral or evil twist on it. I don't think we'd see a bug-race because it'd probably be too out there to risk the investment compared to say Chaos Dwarfs and Dark Elves.

I hope that the idea behind Beasts of Chaos comes back reworked as a destruction race, because I think the audience 'gets' the greek mythology trope.

30 minutes ago, Starfyre said:

Skaven's an outlier, but the existing range all riffs on this in some form, combining these themes, with a good, neutral or evil twist on it.

Skaven are not remotely an outlier, anthropomorphic animals are all over fantasy and ratpeople are represented quite commonly from Nutcracker to The Secret of NHIM rodents and specifically rats are all over the fantasy scene. Of course there are some pretty heinous and disgusting political uses of anthropomorphic rats used to dehumanize various peoples throughout the ages.

The thing that makes Skaven feel unique is their specific role within this fantasy world of an expansive hidden empire with advanced technology combining magic and alchemy. Also the horrendous forms of mutant rats that exist. But overall they still fit into a well established trope of anthropomorphic fantasy army.

I have always found Lizardmen/Seraphon the most unique as they combine elements of Meso-American myth, wacky ancient alien conspiracies and elements of Lovecraft/Lord Dunsany into a strangely heroic but always inhuman faction that fits remarkably well in the Old World and Mortal Realms. I will always see Seraphon as the true enemies of Chaos on its most fundamental existential level. In other words I see the Slaan as opposing the God's of Chaos, with Karl Franz or Sigmar opposing the Archaon and the mortal followers of Chaos.

With that in mind I love both these factions as expressions of how creative approaches can help established fantasy tropes feel fresh and interesting. I think Idoneth hold this potential as someone that grew up in a family of fisher folk with stories of sea folk and tales of sea monsters.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

47 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Skaven are not remotely an outlier, anthropomorphic animals are all over fantasy and ratpeople are represented quite commonly from Nutcracker to The Secret of NHIM rodents and specifically rats are all over the fantasy scene. Of course there are some pretty heinous and disgusting political uses of anthropomorphic rats used to dehumanize various peoples throughout the ages.

The thing that makes Skaven feel unique is their specific role within this fantasy world of an expansive hidden empire with advanced technology combining magic and alchemy. Also the horrendous forms of mutant rats that exist. But overall they still fit into a well established trope of anthropomorphic fantasy army.

I have always found Lizardmen/Seraphon the most unique as they combine elements of Meso-American myth, wacky ancient alien conspiracies and elements of Lovecraft/Lord Dunsany into a strangely heroic but always inhuman faction that fits remarkably well in the Old World and Mortal Realms. I will always see Seraphon as the true enemies of Chaos on its most fundamental existential level. In other words I see the Slaan as opposing the God's of Chaos, with Karl Franz or Sigmar opposing the Archaon and the mortal followers of Chaos.

With that in mind I love both these factions as expressions of how creative approaches can help established fantasy tropes feel fresh and interesting. I think Idoneth hold this potential as someone that grew up in a family of fisher folk with stories of sea folk and tales of sea monsters.

Fair point well made, I hadn't thought of it that way 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Excellent write up here mate loved it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

That is fair but remember that there are people that absolutely would collect such an army. I am not sure where I land on the idea as there are so many ways to sculpt such an army. Are they people mutated into insects like in Cronenberg's the Fly, strange humanoid creatures with exoskeletons like in Hallow Knight, or just anthropomorphic insect people like the Micronauts? I play 40k and I don't play Genestealer Cults or Tyranids but my best friend loves both.

I confess I was being a little tongue in cheek, as that is the exact point I was making. I feel like people are drawn to specific tropes and like to see the cool variations that have been developed. Why I made a concentrated point about the various death tropes, as whatever your preferred undead abomination might be GW has you covered.

I would imagine them something like the Ambull. The problem, they look quite like Sylvaneth:

Pre-order Next Week: The Dreaded Ambull! - Warhammer Community

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Hollow said:

I'm torn when it comes to "expanding" the setting's factions. Whilst I would like to see more depth given to existing factions and for existing threads to be followed up upon (Tyrion, Malerion, etc) I also can't help but feel a little disappointed that 10 years into AoS we have seen very little in the way completely "new" stuff.  

It would be nice to see a completely new, unique AoS faction for each of the Grand Alliances. I'd personally like to see a new Avian themed race over an insect-themed one, but I would take anything.... new. 

New is not always equaling better. The worst that can happen, IMO, is that they release something brand new, that leaves the majority of the playerbase cold. That's a lot of time and resources that could be used in current factions.

5 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Werent the equivalents from India serpent people? I could see something like that (or almost any animal) appearing in the Mortal Realms.

2 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

kind of weird this never brought up buy uh @Nezzhil where did you get the Brood terror leak image?

edit: Nezzhil was you who posted the leak? i can't find who it was that did

I could be wrong, but someone posted it in the Spanish wiki WhatsApp group.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Werent the equivalents from India serpent people? I could see something like that (or almost any animal) appearing in the Mortal Realms.

Well kind of yes and no. There was Ind which was psudo-Mauryan Empire of the old world with it parody of Hinduism (They were call the Land of Thousand gods for example) 

The Hinterlands of Kuresh was right next to it and was Serpentmen country. Nothing is really was mention about these land other than psudo-indonesian jungles, The Dread Maw was native over there, Snake men, forest goblins and Beastmen are the only real inhabitants. Recently there the whole Cathay Fire dragon Li Dao lore of him and Saytang the Watcher carpet bombing the mountains of Heaven to keep the snake out of Cathay to the point that they are willing to make an alliance with the monkey king to help keep them out

as for them showing in the mortal realm they can show up in Ghur specifically Lendu that place is basically Lovecraftian Hyboria with all the prehistoric non-humanoid ruins in the mainland that scare the Cites to be in the coastline

ojK1unBtperxIsJI.jpg.22589d1706fc48766a2db09225a46d99.jpg

Call Of Cthulhu Serpent Person, HD Png Download , Transparent Png Image -  PNGitem

Yig | The H.P. Lovecraft Wiki | Fandom | Lovecraftian, Lovecraftian horror,  Fantasy monster

There was also mention of a Reptilian race call the Sankrits in Hamilcar Champion of the gods who said to have a small empire in the Sea of Bones that the Astral Claws war against (they apparently taste good as salted meat)

Edited by Dragon-knight77
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I imagine something more...anthropomorphic. 

7c9d34725a7098757225b86c6b5b48e9.jpg

They should add something like to Sylvaneth, kinda like Tau have Vespid troops, and we could be done with this discussion about Silent Ones.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

So, what are the odds looking like for Briar and Bone not going up for preorders again this week and instead it being Dwarfs? 

I can confidently say that Briar and Bone tomorrow with how they already show off the banner on facebook page before, multiple artwork of it shown off (pic below), AOS 4e is next week so i don't think they want to launch TOW range when an edition is coming up & i think rules were posted in White dwarf as well (someone fact check me)

GnarlwoodossiarchvsSylvaneth.jpg.23f48cc73cc28c606bc4501e8f33d7ef.jpg

SylvanethvsObr.jpg.8784799c1858d8044055b8af13eb9b5b.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

So, what are the odds looking like for Briar and Bone not going up for preorders again this week and instead it being Dwarfs? 

I think we only have one more preorder slot? 29th is 4th, so it'll be announced on the 22nd. 

Warcry stuff has definitely lagged behind. I could see them having a pretty big week as well, do they usually do a preorder in the big 2 week edition preorder period? I could see them front loading this week. Are we expecting necromunda as well?

Big Ogor rumor from coach discord:

Some rumours, reliable source

We have access to; Run and charge (multiple sources)
LOS blocking abilities Abilities and spells that improve our control score
Reducing enemy control score
Both huskards are priests

FLoSHs are legit, basically exact same profile except; Only a 4+ save +1 damage on charge for spear and horns but not hooves Unstoppable charge on their warscroll Only 360 points
All the big beasts are like 50
-100 points cheaper
Mournfang are anti cav
, they get rend -2 against them.
Ironguts same basically
, kept their fight twice and give nearby tyrants 6++
Slaughtermaster snow get points when units kill stuff and they can be spent to give abilities to units
Butcher gives run and charge to ogor units within 12”
Spell that gives run and charge to a unit, if cast on high roll its reroll runs and charges too.
Tyrants add
+1 to mortals if any on the charge. So roll a d3, on a 2+ it’s that many +1.
Bloodpelt basically the same

Hunter basically the same

Yhetis move in the enemy move phase and can move into combat
Frost Sabres same but have max control score of
Maneaters similar profile
, but have a 4+ shrug against “non core abilities”
Spell to make terrain obscuring and units get 5
++ near them (I’m hazy on this but think it’s right)
Scraplaunchers got either crit mortals or anti infantry rend
Points for most units around the same
; Flosh 360 HOSH 300 Glutts 220 Ironguts 240 Leadbelchers 150 MF 200 Yhetees 120 Ironblasters 240 Scraplaungers 180 Gorger mawpacks 260 Gnoblars 120 FLOTT ~330 iirc Beast riders ~260
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

FLoSHs are legit, basically exact same profile except; Only a 4+ save +1 damage on charge for spear and horns but not hooves Unstoppable charge on their warscroll Only 360 points
All the big beasts are like 50-100 points cheaper
Mournfang are anti cav, they get rend -2 against them.
Ironguts same basically, kept their fight twice and give nearby tyrants 6++
Slaughtermaster snow get points when units kill stuff and they can be spent to give abilities to units.
Butcher gives run and charge to ogor units within 12” Spell that gives run and charge to a unit, if cast on high roll its reroll runs and charges too.
Tyrants add +1 to mortals if any on the charge. So roll a d3, on a 2+ it’s that many +1.
Yhetis move in the enemy move phase and can move into combat.
Frost Sabres same but have max control score of 1.
Maneaters similar profile, but have a 4+ shrug against “non core abilities”
Spell to make terrain obscuring and units get 5++ near them (I’m hazy on this but think it’s right)
Scraplaunchers got either crit mortals or anti infantry rend.
Points for most units around the same; Flosh 360 HOSH 300 Glutts 220 Ironguts 240 Leadbelchers 150 MF 200 Yhetees 120 Ironblasters 240 Scraplaungers 180 Gorger mawpacks 260 Gnoblars 120 FLOTT ~330 iirc Beast riders ~260

Keep us in the loop if any more of these pop up. 

11 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Excellent write up here mate loved it.

Always great to receive praise from the King!

34 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Slaughtermaster snow get points when units kill stuff and they can be spent to give abilities to units.
Butcher gives run and charge to ogor units within 12” Spell that gives run and charge to a unit, if cast on high roll its reroll runs and charges too.
Tyrants add +1 to mortals if any on the charge. So roll a d3, on a 2+ it’s that many +1.
Spell to make terrain obscuring and units get 5++ near them (I’m hazy on this but think it’s right)
Points for most units around the same; Flosh 360 HOSH 300 Glutts 220 Ironguts 240 Leadbelchers 150 MF 200 Yhetees 120 Ironblasters 240 Scraplaungers 180 Gorger mawpacks 260 Gnoblars 120 FLOTT ~330 iirc Beast riders ~260

Liking all the Beastclaw news although now wondering if I should make some Yhetee proxies but also afraid they wont survive the edition. 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

*stares intently over steepled fingers at the first hard rumors we’ve had being about his soul-army and not being bad*

this smells like a trap

Edited by Sahrial
  • Like 1