The Rumour Thread

47 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Again. The way you state this. How many LGS are you talking about? Your local one? A few comments from online accounts claiming to be one? There are nearly 7000 Independent retailers that carry GamesWorkshop Stock globally (Not including the 500 Official Warhammer Stores

How many are you "representing" when you say "LGS are getting upset?"  and "not selling anything"? 

Retailers from Europe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

13 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

All current one + Old Skaven one that WarCom confirmed too.

We currently have 9 order factions, 6 chaos factions (not counting BoC), 4 death factions and 4 destruction ones which makes 23 spearhead boxes, so there goes old skaven one + IJ spearhead. Correct me if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I don't like when they stack in the same core all the rules, one over the other, and supplements adds a diferent ones for the sake of it, so, your first point. And that's exactly what 4th edition is not about. The system allows you to play diferent modes just by switching or removing this modules (that will come in nice and expensive books, with some luck, even in free PDFs and maybe in White Dwarf). That's when the rules bloat disappears.

That would mean supporting the said modes actively, notably on Warhammer Community. That's the reason why 3rd felt so bloated ; because only Matched Play was actively advertised and supported by GW in their official channels, so people were only using matched play layers of rules.

4th will be the same than 3rd if they don't change that, IMHO. So far, I only see advertisement for matched play, so what's the point of showing different modules if, in the end, the majority of players will end up using the same layers because GW doesn't give enough light on the others modes ?

I have all the supplements of 3rd myself. But in the end, how many did I really use and for how long ? Was it worth it ? That's one real question for a player. And I must say, I have some sour taste in my mouth with the last book of Dawnbringer that showed really interesting rules for a chaos "Path to Glory" campaign in 3rd, but I know I won't be using it because we're moving to 4th already.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ookami said:

We currently have 9 order factions, 6 chaos factions (not counting BoC), 4 death factions and 4 destruction ones which makes 23 spearhead boxes, so there goes old skaven one + IJ spearhead. Correct me if I am wrong.

Two SCE + Two Skaven + the other 21 spearhead

• Like 1

"There are five Faction Focus articles left for Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Seraphon, Blades of Khorne,Slaves to Darkness, Sylvaneth, and Ironjawz

image.png.1197acc10b94be76bff36ee9d6473d8f.png

4*5 = 20 faction focuses + Blades of Khorne,Slaves to Darkness, Sylvaneth, and Ironjawz

So we have 24 faction focuses, each with a spearhead + old ScE and Skaven Spearheads = 26 

-> SO no speahead for IJ to match with GW's 25

• Like 1

The IJ article will probably just give you rules for some of the faction's models that can be used together as spearhead box.

And X months from now an actual spearhead box will be launched for the IronJawz that will coincide with their battletome release

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cyrus said:

25 separate boxes = all current ones + Ironjaw spearhead 

For me it's 23 factions (including Kruelboyz and old skavens boxes) + 2 new spearheads from Skaventide. 

I'm afraid that despite faction focus, there's no room for IJs now. :(

3 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

That would mean supporting the said modes actively, notably on Warhammer Community. That's the reason why 3rd felt so bloated ; because only Matched Play was actively advertised and supported by GW in their official channels, so people were only using matched play layers of rules.

4th will be the same than 3rd if they don't change that, IMHO. So far, I only see advertisement for matched play, so what's the point of showing different modules if, in the end, the majority of players will end up using the same layers because GW doesn't give enough light on the others modes ?

I have all the supplements of 3rd myself. But in the end, how many did I really use and for how long ? What is worth it ? That's the real question for a player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but things like Path to Glory and the battleplans included in the narrative books were also promoted quite often, in both WD and on Warhammer Community. Narrative campaigns also featured quite often in WD, like the Tale of 4 warlords.

Anvil of Apotheosis was also promoted quite a bit, but it just wasn't balanced enough for many players to continue using it.

With 4th so far they've been heavily promoting spearhead, some Path to Glory, and showing separate Anvil of Apotheosis rules on each battletome and explicitly emphasizing the modular nature of the rules.

If players who are so averse to matched play continue to ignore the other modes or the modularity of the rules, that's on them.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Two SCE + Two Skaven + the other 21 spearhead

Well, then I guess IJ can be among first factions to receive a battletome with their responsive spearhead.

The more I see of spearhead, the more potential it has. It's a great point of entry for AoS, rules-wise being quite close to the full game. It has a low barrier of entry (few models needed, small playing field, everything needed is included in Skaventide). Spearheads are just like start collecting boxes (a great entrypoint for an army) but now they have rules out of the box. They can quite easily add more Spearheads for existing factions (just like with SCE and Skaven).

It's all positives, I haven't seen anything negative about Spearhead yet. I can definitely see myself picking up Spearhead boxes even for factions that I don't want a full army of.

9 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but things like Path to Glory and the battleplans included in the narrative books were also promoted quite often, in both WD and on Warhammer Community. Narrative campaigns also featured quite often in WD, like the Tale of 4 warlords.

Anvil of Apotheosis was also promoted quite a bit, but it just wasn't balanced enough for many players to continue using it.

With 4th so far they've been heavily promoting spearhead, some Path to Glory, and showing separate Anvil of Apotheosis rules on each battletome and explicitly emphasizing the modular nature of the rules.

If players who are so averse to matched play continue to ignore the other modes or the modularity of the rules, that's on them.

Just look at the space taken by articles on Warhammer Community, social media, and the White Dwarf itself, about these. Tale of 4 Warlords is not especially about Path to Glory, it is about building and painting a collection - and some of its participants were pretty clearly about matched play. Even though, the space taken and regularity has changed : it became smaller and less regular. See the articles on Necromunda, it's really sad : they barely show any battle report now, just a couple pages about what happened on some months and a few pictures of the models used by the players. Before, it was several pages with fulld etails on each band and a true narrative report.

Blaming the players is easy when the company itself has clearly shifted its view over the years and now advertises mainly one mode above all. Of course people would play it in majority, if that's what they're told to play everywhere.

Show me articles on Path to Glory in 4th and compare them with the tremendous number of articles on matched play. I think you can count them on the fingers of one hand...and I'm being generous here. This is already telling a lot, IMHO.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

There are not thousand retailers

This is a direct quote from the half year 2023-24 GW financial Report - 

"In the period, our net number of trade outlets globally increased by c.500 accounts to c.7,000 (not including 2,000+ major chain outlets stocking some key recruitment products)."

That doesn't include the 535 Official Warhammer stores. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hollow said:

This is a direct quote from the half year 2023-24 GW financial Report - 

"In the period, our net number of trade outlets globally increased by c.500 accounts to c.7,000 (not including 2,000+ major chain outlets stocking some key recruitment products)."

That doesn't include the 535 Official Warhammer stores. 

Stores are not retailers. If you prefer you can call them distributor retailers.

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Just look at the space taken by articles on Warhammer Community, social media, and the White Dwarf itself, about these. Tale of 4 Warlords is not especially about Path to Glory, it is about building and painting a collection - and some of its participants were pretty clearly about matched play. Even though, the space taken and regularity has changed : it became smaller and less regular. See the articles on Necromunda, it's really sad : they barely show any battle report now, just a couple pages about what happened on some months and a few pictures of the models used by the players. Before, it was several pages with fulld etails on each band and a true narrative report.

Blaming the players is easy when the company itself has clearly shifted its view over the years and now advertises mainly one mode above all. Of course people would play it in majority, if that's what they're told to play everywhere.

Show me articles on Path to Glory in 4th. I think you can count them on the fingers of one hand...and I'm already being generous here. This is already telling a lot, IMHO.

I didn't say the Tale of 4 Warlords is especially about PtG, but that it's a narrative campaign being very promoted, almost every white dwarf had a big focus on the battles for a while. Last edition there was a lot of focus on faction-specific path to glory rules too. Even Dawnbringers had a lot of articles about the Dawnbringers path to Glory rules. About the lack of extremely detailed battle reports on Community: I enjoy playing narrative campaigns, but that doesn't mean I care about reading detailed narrative reports of other people's campaigns. I can imagine this is true for more people.

Nobody is being told to only play matched play. Matched play is just the most popular and preferred mode in AoS (and 40K) right now, so it's logical that the company is putting out articles about the mode which most players will be curious about.

There hasn't been much focus on PtG in 4th yet, but there has been quite an expansive article detailing how it's becoming even more of a narrative experience for players who are looking for that. And just look at Spearhead, that's getting even more promotion than AoS4 matched play so far. Every single faction focus has a large section detailed to Spearhead-specific rules. And the rules previewed in the faction focus articles are used for basically every mode, including PtG and the narrative modes.

We're still extremely early in the 4th edition advertising cycle. We don't even know the rules yet, yet we've already seen PtG articles, know about AoA and how it is being made to be even better for PtG and narrative play, and we already see a lot of focus on Spearhead (which is not matched play AoS).

And again; if you don't want to play matched play, why play it? It's valid to prefer narrative play, matched play, spearhead, warcry, underworlds, skirmish, etc. so everyone has their own preferences. I can't imagine you're the only one who doesn't prefer matched play.

Edited by Snarff
  • Thanks 1

What do people think of the Oldblood on Rex? I'm not entirely sure about the spearhead of the charge ability, as surely there is every possibility that a charged Carno will take most allies out of the 18" bubble? Think it would be good if it was just within but at a glance the "wholly" seems to really damage it.

Oh but at least they realised that with "clawed limb" attacks you don't need to limit attack numbers to the number of limbs, wish they had realised that for Shallaxi (and this means probably KoS too).

Overall Seraphon look good though, I do wish the Carno kept its 15 health and 5 damage bit but hey. And Terradons don't seem great but I don't have any of those I guess.

3 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

What do people think of the Oldblood on Rex? I'm not entirely sure about the spearhead of the charge ability, as surely there is every possibility that a charged Carno will take most allies out of the 18" bubble? Think it would be good if it was just within but at a glance the "wholly" seems to really damage it.

Oh but at least they realised that with "clawed limb" attacks you don't need to limit attack numbers to the number of limbs, wish they had realised that for Shallaxi (and this means probably KoS too).

Overall Seraphon look good though, I do wish the Carno kept its 15 health and 5 damage bit but hey. And Terradons don't seem great but I don't have any of those I guess.

I think the 18” is to incentivize charging it in where the most enemies are and then using the bonus to try and bring in more reinforcements, probably in the form of Aggradon Lancers. It’s definitely not a bad ability in my books.