The Rumour Thread

17 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

That is the point. Do they really have to accept to be taken and be reforged?

IIrc you don't have a choice in being taken, but you can turn down the offer to become Stormcast.

There was that one Knight of Shrouds in Malign Portents who refused.

If you're chosen in the first place, you were probably unlikely to turn it down anyway which is why we may not hear about it much. (Nigh-)immortality, a chance to fight back against those who fought fiercely in life in the name of the god you most likely worshipped, all while denying Nagash dibs on you? Sweet!

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

I see. I also doubt we will see this in terms of minis, but at least the option is there lore-wise, and I think it would be really cool to see some weird ones, like an Orruk into a Stormcast or a LRL.

18 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

That is the point. Do they really have to accept to be taken and be reforged?

Most of the time its presented as a choice in lore.

Besides, Sigmar would know better than to do that to the leader of the biggest lodge of one of his reliable allies. It could definitely spark a large war between the factions.

And on top of that, it would be a terrible move on GWs part to do that to any army. Oh, your awesome named character who has a lot of narrative buildup but no model yet? Not part of your faction anymore and never will be. Just imagine that happening to a fan-favourite character and you can see the problem.

2 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Most of the time its presented as a choice in lore.

Besides, Sigmar would know better than to do that to the leader of the biggest lodge of one of his reliable allies. It could definitely spark a large war between the factions.

And on top of that, it would be a terrible move on GWs part to do that to any army. Oh, your awesome named character who has a lot of narrative buildup but no model yet? Not part of your faction anymore and never will be. Just imagine that happening to a fan-favourite character and you can see the problem.

Don't focus on Bael. It was just the first example of a renewable character that we don't know what happened with him that came to my mind 😄

I don't want to start another FS forum war!

Edited by Ejecutor

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Don't focus on Bael. It was just the first example of a renewable character that we don't know what happened with him that came to my mind 😄

I don't want to start another FS forum war!

Hahaha no war here, I was just going into the lore side of things why it would be a bad move for sigmar to do so.

IIRC, there is also lore out there about tribes who saw their warriors being stolen from them by Sigmar during battles and that they were very unhappy about it.

I do think many factions could use a big expansion of their general background. Who exactly can be reforged into SCE? How do Magmaholds and Skyports function on a day-to-day basis. How do Sylvaneth care for the forests they inhabit?

We know some tidbits here and there, but only CoS is getting such lore now. A mortal realms encyclopaedia would be amazing.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

yes still collecting souls

yes what you describe happen in the Gotrek series with Prince Jordain of Edessa dying and giving Gotrek that paulron he has now but coming back later as Jordais Lionheart

Freeguild - Age of Sigmar - Lexicanum

Jordais Lionheart (Warhammer: Age of Sigmar) : r/EbonyImagination

Even his hairline had the decency to return, Sigmar be praised! 🙌

Too bad he got the hipster hairstyle that‘s trending… 😚 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Oooh. Good excuse to do the sort of lore-&-art coffee-table-style book I've been banging on about for ages! 

I want it to be written by a collection of in-universe scholars. Humans, Aelves, Duardin, maybe even Orruks?

There's so much potential for books to really flesh out the mortal realms. A bestiary, botanical guides, geography of known regions, history books, etc.

What I'm especially interested in is a book breaking down the 'science of magic' as you might call it. A book full of beautiful drawings of spells, formulas, differing theories by different scholars, incantations in all mortal realms languages and more. The mortal realms are so vast and mysterious, adding some foundations to the magic system would make me enjoy it even more.

What makes magic from each realm different from each other? What does one have to do to study magic? How do prayers work? They seem to be equivalent to magical feats quite often. What has the Order of Azyr learnt about Endless Spells and their nature? To which extent are they sentient? How do they relate to Incarnates and Aelementors? How does Aqshyan magic differ from magmic invocations? How do Kharadron employ magic to power their mechanical creations?

Books like this might all be more fit for Soulbound, but I would prefer to get this in a nice hardback or bound tome. I also haven't seen any new releases for Soulbound in a while now :( I'm hoping it's just because 4th edition is not in full swing yet.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Snarff said:

There's so much potential for books to really flesh out the mortal realms. A bestiary, botanical guides, geography of known regions, history books, etc.

100% this. It will help a lot new and old players, maybe can even be used as a bridge between fantasy and AoS setting (and fans).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I want it to be written by a collection of in-universe scholars. Humans, Aelves, Duardin, maybe even Orruks?

What I'm especially interested in is a book breaking down the 'science of magic' as you might call it. A book full of beautiful drawings of spells, formulas, differing theories by different scholars, incantations in all mortal realms languages and more. The mortal realms are so vast and mysterious, adding some foundations to the magic system would make me enjoy it even more.

What makes magic from each realm different from each other? What does one have to do to study magic? How do prayers work? They seem to be equivalent to magical feats quite often. What has the Order of Azyr learnt about Endless Spells and their nature? To which extent are they sentient? How do they relate to Incarnates and Aelementors? How does Aqshyan magic differ from magmic invocations? How do Kharadron employ magic to power their mechanical creations?

Books like this might all be more fit for Soulbound, but I would prefer to get this in a nice hardback or bound tome. I also haven't seen any new releases for Soulbound in a while now :( I'm hoping it's just because 4th edition is not in full swing yet.

While I agree that something like that would be awesome, is this really worth it?

Stuff like Dawnbringers are already not their best sellers, and they include some rules and stuff, and with the game shifting towards the competitive side, I don't see something like this happening in the future from an income POV.

Also, about Soulbound, recently they launched a big book and a supplement if I am not wrong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

While I agree that something like that would be awesome, is this really worth it?

Stuff like Dawnbringers are already not their best sellers, and they include some rules and stuff, and with the game shifting towards the competitive side, I don't see something like this happening in the future from an income POV.

Also, about Soulbound, recently they launched a big book and a supplement if I am not wrong.

Does everything need to be about maximizing short-term profit? Fleshing out the setting will help more people get interested in it in the long run, just like it did with 40K and WFB. If 'worth it' is the only thing GW cares about, they could just as well discontinue everything but their Space Marine line. Or at least focus all their attention on 40K.

I also don't agree with the game shifting towards the competitive side. A lot of 4th has been focusing on a low barrier of entry and emphasizing extra rules for narrative play. Between Broken Realms, Seasons of War and Dawnbringers we've never had this much narrative content. There are more and more AoS-original characters in BL books, and Drekki, the ven Densts, Cado even got their own series. Warcry and Underworlds are being integrated into the AoS narrative more and more too, and those also both have narrative options for play. The competitive scene is growing (which is a great thing!), but that doesn't mean the game is making a shift towards the competitive side.

Ulfenkarn came out for Soulbound in November, but Soulbound releases have been weird. The Anvilgard supplement came out around the time Anvilgard was taken over. Ulfenkarn comes out now, more than 3 years after Cursed City (which had its own share of problems). Champions of Chaos was announced in 2022, but we still haven't heard anything else about it.

I love Soulbound, but it seems like there's barely anything going on with it.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Stuff like Dawnbringers are already not their best sellers

Sorry... but how do you know this? I don't think the approach to the narrative is being done in the best way but the fact that GW pumped out 6 books (all with special editions) and a dozen+ kits related to it makes me think that they must be doing pretty damned well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hollow said:

Sorry... but how do you know this? I don't think the approach to the narrative is being done in the best way but the fact that GW pumped out 6 books (all with special editions) and a dozen+ kits related to it makes me think that they must be doing pretty damned well. 

I think they're doing well too and Broken Realms also did well. Broken Realms was a very similar end-of-edition type narrative with a lot of kits and a setup for the new edition. If Broken Realms did not do well, I doubt they would have done it again, but with 2 more books and even more new sculpts for Dawnbringers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Well, not only DB, but any narrative book, it last in the stores (both GW and my country ones) for way longer than other products.

Also, I am talking about the book itself, not the associate minis. Mnis will always sell better than books, IMO.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

is this really worth it?

100% YES. The fundamental shift in strategy that Kenvin Rountree has overseen in how GW approaches its products, has been diversification. Kirby had the mentality of cutting more and more things that essentially didn't live up to 40k main lines and sailed the company into troubling, stagnant waters. 

I still think that Black Library should expand their offerings outside of Novels. I'd start by having technical books dedicated to Space Marine armour types. Nicely bound like cool Imperial tomes. Diagrams and spec sheets of the armour types, art etc. I think they would sell like hotcakes and pave the way to do something related to the Mortal Realms. 

One problem I think AoS has is that its lore is so scattered and difficult to enter. I see so many posts across the interwebs of people posting something along the lines of

- "Hey, I liked fantasy, I play 40k, AoS models look cool, 4th is coming up, just where the hell do I begin to wrap my head around the setting, are there infinite realms? What's happening?"

The fact there is still fundamental confusion about what the AoS setting is, should be a major priority for GW and the AoS design studio. 

• Like 15
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Does everything need to be about maximizing short-term profit?

Sadly, it seems that for GW it is. GW nowadays is churn and burn.

You could even say that Warhammer went downhil from the moment GW became obsessed with short-term profits.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1