The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Grungnisson said:

That's the thing, isn't it? If WH+ is struggling, I'm not sure p***g off the AoS playerbase is going to help much. 

But it isn't struggling. It has been a huge success and continues to add literally 10's of thousands of new subscribers each couple of quarters. I think it could be so much more, so much better, but once again, people are conflating "I don't like this" with "it's a failure" No, sorry, it's not. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Hollow said:

But it isn't struggling. It has been a huge success and continues to add literally 10's of thousands of new subscribers each couple of quarters. I think it could be so much more, so much better, but once again, people are conflating "I don't like this" with "it's a failure" No, sorry, it's not. 

1. I've put an 'if' for a reason. I'm not making a claim, I'm wondering.

2. Even less need for putting the list building behind the paywall then.

Which is fine. They're a business, they can do whatever they want with their products, and I'll just look for 3rd party for the first time. But I still think it's a bad idea on their part.

• Like 4

I don't. I have thought for a long time that Warhammer+ is the ideal vehicle to deliver rules digitally. I hope that this (and the potential spike in paying subscribers) makes GW sit up and take notice of the idea that they could have all rules, for all systems available as part of a Warhammer+ subscription. This transition won't happen overnight, but I see this as a positive move. 

GW is a bit of a tanker and doesn't turn on a dime. I see this as a first step in the creation of an eventual "1 stop shop" digital platform for all GW rules. 

19 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Did they release any kind of info where it is stating that W+ is not a failure? Because everywhere I would ask that I usually visit would say it is, and this kind of movements doesn't help to change that feeling.

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Did they release any kind of info where it is stating that W+ is not a failure? Because everywhere I would ask that I usually visit would say it is, and this kind of movements doesn't help to change that feeling.

Yes. The subscriber numbers are published as part of GW financial reports. The last report has the number of subscribers at 169,000 (up from 115,000 same period last year), and numbers for the last 6 months will be published in July. (I expect near 200k) 

Edited by Hollow
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

image.png.53f846575715688e5f2c5707904b968c.png

This is from the half year report from june 2023 tot november 2023. For the financial year that ended june 2024.

Edit: It can be found here: https://investor.games-workshop.com/annual-reports-and-half-year-results

Edited by Tonhel
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

You can. I pay it and I've watched everything I wanted in Spain as well.

Ok, my bad... I recall that at least in the beginning of WH+ the terms and conditions specified that WHTV was available just in a limited list of countries.... They may have expanded it then.

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I ain’t paying some WH+ subscription to do unlimited lists. 

Time to dust off Wahapedia and Battlescribe.

That's the problem of not seeing the app as a customer data collector but as a source for a some extra money in subscriptions... Having a free warhammer app available to all your customer bases, with their account, factions bought, ability to do lists from all the different games,... In terms of data that would be gold for their teams... Marketing, online store, logistics....

Just now, Tonhel said:

Yeah, but I assume there are a lot of subscribers that paid for a year (like me), but don't really use it a lot.

I will certainly keep my subscription.

I've watched all the series and loremasters, Yearly sub as well, and it ends exactly in a month. I don't see it worth renewing it purely for the W+ content, as it is what I see. Some days before it gets renewed I will cancel it and wait for the next year's minis. Once I see them I will think what I do. Hopefully there's a CoS mini hehehe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

Honestly, I am shocked that W+ is getting more subs over time.

I'm not. At all. I think that it appeals to a lot of people who are new to Warhammer. I could see a future where GW has 500k/1million paying subscribers with all rules/books/etc avalible in one place. 

5 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I'm not. At all. I think that it appeals to a lot of people who are new to Warhammer. I could see a future where GW has 500k/1million paying subscribers with all rules/books/etc avalible in one place. 

If they provide a good platform where you have all the rules / armies for all their game systems, digital tools / game assistant (like NewRecruit has with TOW) that you can use to make your games play smoother, an opponent finder and the price is around 5-10 euro monthly. I assume every regular GW player/hobbiest would subscribe and it would bring in more profit than selling all the books as they do now.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2

Question about 4.0 core rules: can a unit use Covering-Fire if the same unit used Redeploy previously in the same turn?

Note: Shoot ability explicity says that can't be used on an unit that RUN &/or RETREAT in the same turn (Redeploy has RUN), but Covering-Fire doesn't have anything like that.

Edited by Beliman

49 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

image.png.53f846575715688e5f2c5707904b968c.png

This is from the half year report from june 2023 tot november 2023. For the financial year that ended june 2024.

Edit: It can be found here: https://investor.games-workshop.com/annual-reports-and-half-year-results

49 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Honestly, I am shocked that W+ is getting more subs over time.

it's easy to forget WH+ includes a ton of White Dwarfs (only like a month or two behind physical releases iirc?) and old campaign books. if AOS had half the 40k content in it, I'd probably have tried a year just to check out the WDs and old AOS books.

5 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

it's easy to forget WH+ includes a ton of White Dwarfs (only like a month or two behind physical releases iirc?) and old campaign books. if AOS had half the 40k content in it, I'd probably have tried a year just to check out the WDs and old AOS books.

I looked at the WD vault not so long ago and seems it wasn't updated for a long time.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

I also think that many people who have been in the hobby for a while forget that thousands of new people of all ages are introduced to Warhammer for the first time each year. I have no doubt that if I was just discovering GamesWorkshop and Warhammer I would sub.

My play group got a lot of new players in the last months, for both AoS and 40k. For the 40k players I never saw someone go subscribe just to use the app and neither for the minimum content. Most of the times the reaction is "wait I have to pay to be able to see the rules?" and the few that ask about warhammer+ after ayig the paywall never sub after hearing how much content there is it. Honestly if they didn't have a "free mini" I doubt they would have half of the people subbed to it still.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Question about 4.0 core rules: can a unit use Covering-Fire if the same unit used Redeploy previously in the same turn?

Note: Shoot ability explicity says that can't be used on an unit that RUN &/or RETREAT in the same turn (Redeploy has RUN), but Covering-Fire doesn't have anything like that.

Hey mate, wanna make a post just about rules? Would be good to not lose interesting rule questions in the nonsensical flood that is this topic 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1