The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Beasts of Chaos battletome seems to leave them open for return. They're diminished but not defeated, and Ghorraghan Khai escaped with a piece of Morghur.

'The realms had not yet glimpsed the last of Morghur - or his worshippers.'

Definitely. There’s stuff at the start about how the beastmen were effectively shattered at the end of the era of the beast and have become a more minor power in the forests, “licking their wounds and waiting for their prey to expose their throat” but that’s rather more generic and as expected.

The Morghur mentions feel like they have more promise.

Actually, one other interesting note: apparently the chaos gods rushed in to sweep up as many beastmen as possible to be Slaangors, Tzaangors and Pestigors (interesting mention). Could be nothing but it’s quite heavy on the beastmen being basically used as pawns and a distraction in the lead up to the hour of ruin.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Beasts of Chaos battletome seems to leave them open for return. They're diminished but not defeated, and Ghorraghan Khai escaped with a piece of Morghur.

'The realms had not yet glimpsed the last of Morghur - or his worshippers.'

A little too Phoenicium in my taste but hey they still around not completely whipe 

Wonder how well supported Beastmen going to be in TOW since that was the trade off

Can someone confirm if that stuff copy/pasted from the existing BoC tome? Seeing as they probably are preparing it for legends (since no one else got lore bits tied to their index).

3 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Actually, one other interesting note: apparently the chaos gods rushed in to sweep up as many beastmen as possible to be Slaangors, Tzaangors and Pestigors (interesting mention). Could be nothing but it’s quite heavy on the beastmen being basically used as pawns and a distraction in the lead up to the hour of ruin.

So yeah it possible they taking the Total war direction of showing off mono-god beastmen (Pestigors, khorngors ect) and possibly even god marked ones like khorne minotaurs

image.png.d9cf121dd6a0a17b8b7c671e18945cf2.png

2 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Can someone confirm if that stuff copy/pasted from the existing BoC tome? Seeing as they probably are preparing it for legends (since no one else got lore bits tied to their index).

The background for the individual units looks to be close to that in the existing battletome but there’s a page at the start and then some details about Morghur which make explicit reference to Kragnos being captured and the Hour of Ruin, so they’re firmly new. It’s the same kind of approach as with the Sacrosanct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

A little too Phoenicium in my taste but hey they still around not completely whipe 

Wonder how well supported Beastmen going to be in TOW since that was the trade off

Beastmen really belong to the forests of the old world and they are the ancestral enemy of wood elves : so I am sure they will do fine in ToW .

I hope that Pestigors and Khornegors will be realeased in AoS sooner than later .

1 minute ago, cyrus said:

Beastmen really belong to the forests of the old world and they are the ancestral enemy of wood elves : so I am sure they will do fine in ToW .

I hope that Pestigors and Khornegors will be realeased in AoS sooner than later .

Beastmen absolutely belong in the Old World. I do think they were a welcome addition to the Realms much in way that Lizardmen, Night Goblins, Orcs, ogres, Vampires, Other Undead, Most of the Empire and The rest of Chaos iNcluding those pesky Rats.

I’d have liked to have seen the range not only refreshed, but expanded with Gavespawn. *Looks over the horizon fondly with tears in his eyes of what could have been*.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

The only ones with lore in their BTs are the retired factions (Sacrosanct, BoC and BS).

• Like 1

I guess one possible avenue is of approach is seeing brand new Beastmen-esq units as part of Slaves To Darkness, in a similar vein to things like the Warcry beasties and Ogroids.

That is assuming they don't pull the curtain back on a full, AoS-exclusive Beasts range in a few years. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I guess one possible avenue is of approach is seeing brand new Beastmen-esq units as part of Slaves To Darkness, in a similar vein to things like the Warcry beasties and Ogroids.

That is assuming they don't pull the curtain back on a full, AoS-exclusive Beasts range in a few years. 

I could very much see a redesigned AoS version of Beasts. As long as the old version was around they couldn't drastically redesign them. For example they can't really go "Alright Beasts are all some variation of flying monster now" as that would go against what they are as a faction currently.

But now that it would officially be a new faction they can do whatever they want while still giving us BoC in a sense. So if they want to bring BoC back as a Bird of Chaos they could do that and just say they adapted in the wilderness.

Of course I would still prefer just getting both but oh well.

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Ghorraghan Khai escaping with the last small piece of the Witherdwell makes me think that a dedicated Gavespawn faction is a definite possibility down the line - especially since the free "Burning of Ohm-Mat" PDF for horus heresy contains descriptions of eight Aetheric Dominions (Chaos Gods), one of which, "Formless Distortion", sounds a lot like Morghur:

Even as Daemons manifest as obscene parodies of mortal forms, the true essence of Chaos is endlessly shifting and unknowable, twisting, changing and perverting everything it touches. Some Daemons who crossed the veil into realspace embodied this ceaseless distortion to its fullest extent, shaping themselves into roiling agglomerations of immaterial flesh and bone, for whom death was simply one component of the eternal metamorphosis they would inflict upon the material world.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/JXRAKYvl3BrGbGjD.pdf - from Page 12

9 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

I could very much see a redesigned AoS version of Beasts. As long as the old version was around they couldn't drastically redesign them. For example they can't really go "Alright Beasts are all some variation of flying monster now" as that would go against what they are as a faction currently.

But now that it would officially be a new faction they can do whatever they want while still giving us BoC in a sense. So if they want to bring BoC back as a Bird of Chaos they could do that and just say they adapted in the wilderness.

Of course I would still prefer just getting both but oh well.

This is my guess too and that TOW sped up the departure, although I wish GW would just be open about it like they were with Sisters and TOW and just say "they're coming, just not for a while" 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TrawlingCleaner
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, GenericEdgyName said:

I just read through the rules for Disciples of Tzeentch as they're one of my 3 armies and honestly, Tzaangor seem kinda viable so that's the new Beasts of Chaos faction, everyone! Rejoice for the horde of 30 birdy boys seems playable

Honestly, I'm glad. I have a bunch of Tzaangor - that I still can't find in my pile! - that I've been hoping would be good for ages now. Ironic that the Tzeentch kit you can't get away from is lurking somewhere unseen amongst my collection.

Pretty happy with Skaven overall, especially given all the extra stuff we expect them to get in the next wave. Pestilens feels the pain of losing the plague priest and of plague monks feeling oddly undercooked, while Eshin definitely feels the loss of Gutter Runners (and I'd love to see them and Death Runners all added in a future Eshin wave) but Night Runners seem actually pretty good?

1 hour ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Yeah, this is litterally the same plot as Phoenicium : they lost but one guy escaped with a piece of their god so they can somehow return one day if GW wants.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Periophtalmus said:

Yeah, this is litterally the same plot as Phoenicium : they lost but one guy escaped with a piece of their god so they can somehow return one day if GW wants.

Disagree. Phoenicium is setting up for the Lumineth Zenith temple (by having Lumineth take the Ur-Phoenix's flame), and the entire city was wiped out. BoC are still a threat in remote corners of the realms, and their main named character survived with a piece of Morghur explicitly.

• Like 9

Internal balance seems weird at times. I just looked at Slaves and Tzeentch but there are some units that feel like pretty bad picks.

Gaunt Summoner on foot... who's gonna take that one? What a waste of a warscroll spell. Tzaangors are ok, at least better than Acolytes and Pinks, but looking at Slaves, I'm not sure if Chaos Warriors don't simply outperform them as troops so what's there really to rave about? The spell lores for Tzeentch are extremely lackluster which is the icing on the middlefinger-cake. I'm certainly not any happier than I was before. 

The ONLY good things are the stronger Gaunt on Disc and that my beloved Enlightened weren't fully destroyed. Slaves are definitely the much, much, MUCH better army. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I'm certainly not any happier than I was before. 

I thought AoS was "Dead" to you? Why are you continuing to read content for a system that is Dead to you? ^_^