The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I thought AoS was "Dead" to you? Why are you continuing to read content for a system that is Dead to you? ^_^

4 minutes ago, MitGas said:

4th ed I said. Why do you clown annoy me? Begone!

Friends please, let us take a moment to bask in the knowledge that I found my Tzaangors. This is a win for everybody 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

So, of the factions I collect:

I'm fairly happy with Skaven overall, with the caveat that this very much feels like Skryre and Moulder time and we will need to wait for further waves for Eshin and Pestilens to shine - also Clawlords weirdly just sort of suck and seem pointless for their price?

Kruleboyz are looking good, a huge improvement from 3e.

Tzeentch is weird; there's some good stuff in there, and a lot of eh stuff that doesn't quite seem to come together into a solid, cohesive feel. For a faction who have 'setting things on fire' as a faction-wide rule, they then have few units with cool, thematic setting-things-on-fire related abilities. For a tricksy magic faction, they don't feel hugely tricksy or magical.  It doesn't seem like the design direction behind them quite managed to solidify in one direction. Very hopeful for a proper wave of new releases for them this edition, as they definitely feel like they need it.

20 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I'm not sure if Chaos Warriors don't simply outperform them as troops

A 150 point unit of lightly armored bird mutants dedicated to the God of Change and Schemes loses to a 200 point unit of heavily armored warriors, in other news water is still wet and S2D got nerfed with kid gloves while everyone else went at least half a round with Mike Tyson. 

2 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

A little too Phoenicium in my taste but hey they still around not completely whipe 

Wonder how well supported Beastmen going to be in TOW since that was the trade off

Beasts of Chaos are currently a pretty fun and strong army in TOW. They already said every TOW core army is getting new models, so Beasts of Chaos are getting something new, even if just a couple plastic/resin characters like dwarfs and orcs got. Not out of the question for a whole new unit like Tomb Kings or Bretonnia got though.

I was actually wondering if yesterday's rumor engine with the snake-looking tail wasn't actually a tease for a plastic cockatrice or jabbeslythe for TOW. Or a new Shaggoth. Also since they're one of the core factions they'll get an arcane journal with a couple armies of infamy and "new" units that usually involve conversion of some sort. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

A 150 point unit of lightly armored bird mutants dedicated to the God of Change and Schemes loses to a 200 point unit of heavily armored warriors, in other news water is still wet and S2D got nerfed with kid gloves while everyone else went at least half a round with Mike Tyson. 

Since 50 points are pretty much nothing, I don't see how the balance is good (and internally it isn't either), that's what I'm getting at. Look at the units more closely and you'll see. They get a ton for 50 points more compared to the new Tzaangors, better saves, mark bonus, the dmg output is quite comparable now where Tzaangors used to have a clear edge. So you get a LOT less squishy troops or less squishy but more deadly troops... if you field CWs. It's not like our new spells or basic abilities are anything to write home about, so why such drawbacks?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, pnkdth said:

Can someone confirm if that stuff copy/pasted from the existing BoC tome? Seeing as they probably are preparing it for legends (since no one else got lore bits tied to their index).

Not at all, the BoC battletome introduced a bunch of new lore building up BoC as a faction with new lore characters and future expansion potential. This stuff about them getting wiped is completely new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

Disagree. Phoenicium is setting up for the Lumineth Zenith temple (by having Lumineth take the Ur-Phoenix's flame), and the entire city was wiped out. BoC are still a threat in remote corners of the realms, and their main named character survived with a piece of Morghur explicitly.

In addition to that Whitefang hinted at phoenix guard AoS lumineth edition when phoenix temple was discontinued from new CoS bt last September.

There was also an hint about a new faction of beasts of destruction.

BoC phase out could both free a slot in chaos alliance for upcoming chorfs and design wise free besties for destruction.

3 hours ago, Matrindur said:

I could very much see a redesigned AoS version of Beasts. As long as the old version was around they couldn't drastically redesign them. For example they can't really go "Alright Beasts are all some variation of flying monster now" as that would go against what they are as a faction currently.

But now that it would officially be a new faction they can do whatever they want while still giving us BoC in a sense. So if they want to bring BoC back as a Bird of Chaos they could do that and just say they adapted in the wilderness.

Of course I would still prefer just getting both but oh well.

The thing is not how they could come back, it is when. Also, the classic question. Chaos or Destro?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

This is my guess too and that TOW sped up the departure, although I wish GW would just be open about it like they were with Sisters and TOW and just say "they're coming, just not for a while" 🤷‍♂️

Also, someone posted a rumour about the resin hero for Beast in ToW being Morghur, so that would imply we won't have it in AoS, IMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

The thing is not how they could come back, it is when. Also, the classic question. Chaos or Destro?

Its obviously going to be Chaos. They're hinting at the return of Morghur who is all about mutation, corruption and madness which is very Chaos stuff. Hell, going overboard on the gross mutations and whatnot will probably serve the purpose of making the Beasts thematically distinct from Destruction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snarff said:

Disagree. Phoenicium is setting up for the Lumineth Zenith temple (by having Lumineth take the Ur-Phoenix's flame), and the entire city was wiped out. BoC are still a threat in remote corners of the realms, and their main named character survived with a piece of Morghur explicitly.

The piece that he managed to save was the new Morghur resin mini.

• Haha 6

I feel like we will get some kind of Children of Morghur faction that is much more heavily mutated and aesthetically tied to Chaos Spawn, body horror and Lovecraftian monsters. This might actually be when and where we eventually get Silent People with their God Subsumed into Morghur.

I think the Beast Aesthetic will actually be filled by Kurnothi Aelves in the future for AoS.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sandlemad said:

... Pestigors (interesting mention) ...

Yeah, interesting mention. 

LEEEEETTTSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO (in TOW Beasts of Chaos or in AOS Maggotkin, I don't care!)

Btw the fluff in the Hel's Crown and Battletomes booklets is quite nice. Didn't expect so much stuff put in the Launch free PDFs, generaly those are somewhat half-assed. Not this time !

5 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I feel like we will get some kind of Children of Morghur faction that is much more heavily mutated and aesthetically tied to Chaos Spawn, body horror and Lovecraftian monsters. This might actually be when and where we eventually get Silent People with their God Subsumed into Morghur.

I think the Beast Aesthetic will actually be filled by Kurnothi Aelves in the future for AoS.

I think we'll get Drogrukh as well at some point. The Kragnos story in Dawnbringers seems to be pointing that way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

Internal balance seems weird at times. I just looked at Slaves and Tzeentch but there are some units that feel like pretty bad picks.

Gaunt Summoner on foot... who's gonna take that one? What a waste of a warscroll spell. 

Dunno, the ability to deep strike a unit rates pretty high in my book. And the ability to deploy said unit in 7", even higher.

He's also the cheapest model that can mix whatever he likes in his regiment, while still being a 2-cast wizard. I agree he has more utility in Slaves (who value deep strike charges more, don't have another 2-cast wizard and have more of a hard time fitting stuff into regiments), but I wouldn't say he's entirely without use cases in Disciples.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mortal Wound said:

Dunno, the ability to deep strike a unit rates pretty high in my book. And the ability to deploy said unit in 7", even higher.

He's also the cheapest model that can mix whatever he likes in his regiment, while still being a 2-cast wizard. I agree he has more utility in Slaves (who value deep strike charges more, don't have another 2-cast wizard and have more of a hard time fitting stuff into regiments), but I wouldn't say he's entirely without use cases in Disciples.

I dunno, the other gaunt has better stats, a ton of mobility plus he's a valid hero sniper... I'm not sure two inches make it worth. Perhaps if you're really short!

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I dunno, the other gaunt has better stats, a ton of mobility plus he's a valid hero sniper... I'm not sure two inches make it worth. Perhaps if you're really short!

Use the Gaunt Summoner on foot to teleport your Tzeentch units back to the shelf and then start another game with a better army. Follow my profile for more advanced strategies.

Jokes aside, Whitefang mentioned something "against logic" coming in the future. Maybe that means a Tzeentzch expansion that helps explain why they currently feel kind of half cooked.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Use the Gaunt Summoner on foot to teleport your Tzeentch units back to the shelf and then start another game with a better army. Follow my profile for more advanced strategies.

I think there is something big behind Gaunt summoner warscroll. You can choose the Gaunt Summoner as a unit to put in the Silver Tower, but you need the Gaunt Summoner to set up any the unit in reserve on the table.

So, your Gaunt Summoner goes away with his Silver Tower and you wait there in the middle of the game without the option to summon him. Seems pretty lore accurate, all part of Tzeentch plan

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I think there is something big behind Gaunt summoner warscroll. You can choose the Gaunt Summoner as a unit to put in the Silver Tower, but you need the Gaunt Summoner to set up any the unit in reserve on the table.

So, your Gaunt Summoner goes away with his Silver Tower and you wait there in the middle of the game without the option to summon him. Seems pretty lore accurate, all part of Tzeentch plan

You know how they say "Go big or go home?"

Well, the Gaunt Summoner choses to go home.

• Haha 5

Games workshop could not have picked a more egregious lie with this opening paragraph.

"You're being so unreasonable! What now you want us to support EVERY model FOREVER geez! In other news please buy these same miniatures we are still producing for this other game we sell k thx."

Like just say you didn't want to have to make one more book or admit it's some stupid wee measuring contest between suits who don't even play the game but don't try to tell us we're making unreasonable demands of a billion dollar company by asking them not to delete our armies.

Screenshot_20240710-0922012.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

The Tzaangor warscroll seems a little odd. 2/5 models can replace their weapons with Greatblades, but the kit of 10 comes with only 2 from what I can tell.

Plus there's no mention of Mutants at all.

There's two Great Weapons for every 5 Tzaangors in the kit.

Screenshot_20240710-210459.png.4cfb84dcfa7b60ca08a04040d63ed30f.pngScreenshot_20240710-210432.png.fb0cc16e1e502c1ba48b3d5e1c151681.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EntMan said:

There's two Great Weapons for every 5 Tzaangors in the kit.

Screenshot_20240710-210459.png.4cfb84dcfa7b60ca08a04040d63ed30f.pngScreenshot_20240710-210432.png.fb0cc16e1e502c1ba48b3d5e1c151681.png

I knew that the big mauls would count as well, but I must have missed how many options total I had on the sprues I still have available.  I'm just glad to know I'm wrong, haha.

As for the Mutants, I'm just gonna use them as my champions.

• Like 1

So something I’ve been thinking about today with the release of the BoC digital battletome:

do we think that was an intentionally light/low effort tome, or representative of the eventual tomes we’ll see?

Because it seemed to me to be exactly the same as everyone else’s faction pack with a few pages of lore added to it.

I don’t think we have an answer, and I wonder how much do we really expect the battletomes to expand and change the index packs?

We’ll find out soon enough, either way.