The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Nobody can be certain but if I had to place a bet, I would guess that Orruk Warclans will remain as a single Battletome.

A single Battletome with 2 Spearhead boxes. (I suspect that this Imperial Agents release is like a proof of concept of what we may see for factions in both 40k and AoS going forward) A single book with several Combat Patrol/Spearhead-type boxes comprised mostly of existing miniatures.

They are literally the only index with two sets of allegiance abilities, though. It feels like a strange exception to make, IMO, that only Orruks and nobody else get two factions in one book.

3 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Nobody can be certain but if I had to place a bet, I would guess that Orruk Warclans will remain as a single Battletome.

A single Battletome with 2 Spearhead boxes. (I suspect that this Imperial Agents release is like a proof of concept of what we may see for factions in both 40k and AoS going forward) A single book with several Combat Patrol/Spearhead-type boxes comprised mostly of existing miniatures.

Imperial Agents is a different beast. Its a collection of various imperial stuff that has rules in 40k and is primary used as allies but can be fielded as its own faction.

For aos it would be the equivalent of having a battletome with Gotrek and a bunhc of regiments of renown in it that can be fielded together.  

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

8 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Imperial Agents is a different beast. Its a collection of various imperial stuff that has rules in 40k and is primary used as allies but can be fielded as its own faction.

For aos it would be the equivalent of having a battletome with Gotrek and a bunhc of regiments of renown in it that can be fielded together.  

Some kind of Dogs of War, if you will.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

They are literally the only index with two sets of allegiance abilities, though. It feels like a strange exception to make, IMO, that only Orruks and nobody else get two factions in one book.

Like Aeldari exception during 9ed? It was an exception and everyone in 40k was sure that it is gonna be a short exception.

We still have the Daemon codex being removed forever as a strong rumour.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Like Aeldari exception during 9ed? It was an exception and everyone in 40k was sure that it is gonna be a short exception.

We still have the Daemon codex being removed forever as a strong rumour.

It's not like exceptions don't exist, but with an Ironjawz spearhead apparently in the works I don't really see a good justification for it. Both IJ and KB are the size of other regular AoS factions.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

For now. 

Again, this is purely speculation on my part, (and I've touched on it before) but I foresee how factions are presented and sold evolving over the next few years. Most of the factions already have multiple sub-factions. What does GW do? Break them off into their own Battletomes? Or have Battletomes as a singular "umbrella" resource supporting multiple sub-factions?

In terms of "physical product" is there much difference in having an Orruk Warclan BT featuring KB and IJ and say, STD featuring Warriors/Darkoath?? Or GSG with Trogguths/Gobbos? 

Combat Patrol/Spreadhead boxes type products are being pushed for a number of reasons... the primary one? The margins are freaking huge!! ]

I also suspect GW has hit a ceiling for Codex/Battletome/rule publications. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The difference, IMO, is that GW seems intent on not letting people mix IJ and KB units.

But that is just arbitrary nonsense that can be removed with the stroke of a pen. It's not a "physical limitation". There could be an Orruk Warclan Battletome with Matched play rules for KB and IJ as individual factions, with the ability to combine them in casual games? 

Keeping the competitive scene clean and balanced and allowing those in more casual environments to combine them? 

6 minutes ago, Hollow said:

But that is just arbitrary nonsense that can be removed with the stroke of a pen. It's not a "physical limitation". There could be an Orruk Warclan Battletome with Matched play rules for KB and IJ as individual factions, with the ability to combine them in casual games? 

Keeping the competitive scene clean and balanced and allowing those in more casual environments to combine them? 

It is arbitrary, but I believe it is reflective of the designer's intention, which ultimately I think is what determines whether or not the book gets split up. There are no more big waagh, coalition or ally options to be found in the new rules. So I think we are looking at IJ and KB as separate forces, which, to me, makes it questionable that they would be getting a joint book.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It is arbitrary, but I believe it is reflective of the designer's intention, which ultimately I think is what determines whether or not the book gets split up

Perhaps... I think what ultimately determines whether a book gets split up is financial viability and production limitations.  

16 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It is arbitrary, but I believe it is reflective of the designer's intention, which ultimately I think is what determines whether or not the book gets split up. There are no more big waagh, coalition or ally options to be found in the new rules. So I think we are looking at IJ and KB as separate forces, which, to me, makes it questionable that they would be getting a joint book.

Army of Renown fix that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PraetorDragoon said:

That would be awesome to have something like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Huh

Dogs_of_War_5_Cover.jpg.6c450c627f6dbb041b7246131e8a967b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

6 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It has all the AoS vibes, but it could be anything, and it doesn't trigger any specific faction for me, maybe S2D.

The Rumour Engine – 23rd July 2024 - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

RumourEngine Jul23 Content

Something Morrda related maybe (feathers look a bit long for that tho) due to the bird-like feathers? Or Tzeentchian. I don't think it'd be Thousand Sons since the design is a bit crude for their aesthetics, but I could see it being AoS or TOW.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It has all the AoS vibes, but it could be anything, and it doesn't trigger any specific faction for me, maybe S2D.

The Rumour Engine – 23rd July 2024 - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

RumourEngine Jul23 Content

Both fur and feathers on this.... cape?

I just painted the Gryph-Stalker, which had both fur and feathers on it. This could be a Stormcast mini.

• Like 1