The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Completely disagree with this. This spearhead looks great and it's awesome to see gw embracing colour schemes that in almost every case have never been used in official material before and look achievable for the most painters. It's not like they aren't showing the eavy metal version as well. 

I am not a great painter (well, I only painted a section of scenery since I rejoined the hobby), but I totally aspire for something more than that. This seems just like some contrast layers. To me, they look more like a way to sell another GW product (contrasts) than the minis themselves.

• Like 2

Well I was pretty close on my KO guesses, they kept their unique flavor nicely! :D 

Love they jump so fast to tech & upgrades for their ships to dominate the skies.

Also Lmao at them crossing magic stuff out. “It’s all science and gods merely glorified ghosts!”

IMG_3621.png?ex=66572e76&is=6655dcf6&hm=

Happy AoS4 is kicking out anything left to do with Garrisons including airship transports being streamlined instead of fiddly.

(maybe could be applicable to Cogforts one day 😋)

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

I am not a great painter (well, I only painted a section of scenery since I rejoined the hobby), but I totally aspire for something more than that. This seems just like some contrast layers. To me, they look more like a way to sell another GW product (contrasts) than the minis themselves.

Of course GW wants to sell their contrast paints, but contrast paints are also actually a really nice product for beginner painters. It is good to aspire to a higher painting standard (although not everyone needs to be into mini painting with the aim to git gud), but it is super nice to also present achievable goals to beginners.

I consider myself to be a pretty good painter now. But I also still remember how hard I found it to paint a unit of skeletons when I started out. I didn't paint any other unit except for a few single models for years because of how difficult it was. To me, not starting new players off with an impossible goal and actually helping them discover how to enjoy painting is extremely important.

• Like 12

Just now, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Of course GW wants to sell their contrast paints, but contrast paints are also actually a really nice product for beginner painters. It is good to aspire to a higher painting standard (although not everyone needs to be into mini painting with the aim to git gud), but it is super nice to also present achievable goals to beginners.

I consider myself to be a pretty good painter now. But I also still remember how hard I found it to paint a unit of skeletons when I started out. I didn't paint any other unit except for a few single models for years because of how difficult it was. To me, not starting new players off with an impossible goal and actually helping them discover how to enjoy painting is extremely important.

Contrast is amazing, I don't get why people look down on it. It's a great tool for beginners and for people who don't want to invest too much time into painting. I've even seen really good painters do amazing stuff with contrasts.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Here's what I'm curious about: seeing that the Kharadron Code is no longer part of the KO's faction abilities, what will the Codewright do now?

Yeah it's not the transport thing but the lack of the code that's the biggest nerf to KO and probably the most obviously missing thing in the articles we've seen so far. I think KO are the victim of the the one page battle traits rule they seem to have set themselves for the indexes. Hopefully the code comes back when the battletome is released. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Contrast is amazing, I don't get why people look down on it. It's a great tool for beginners and for people who don't want to invest too much time into painting. I've even seen really good painters do amazing stuff with contrasts.

No metalic contrasts/speedpaints in the colors I want and the colors are rarely what I want, except Nighthaunt Gloom, Hexwraith Flame, and Skeleton Horde. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yeah it's not the transport thing but the lack of the code that's the biggest nerf to KO and probably the most obviously missing thing in the articles we've seen so far. I think KO are the victim of the the one page battle traits rule they seem to have set themselves for the indexes. Hopefully the code comes back when the battletome is released. 

I feel bad for that one weirdo who makes a KO army without using skyvessels because now they have no battle traits other than "this is how skyvessels work". 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

No metalic contrasts/speedpaints in the colors I want and the colors are rarely what I want, except Nighthaunt Gloom, Hexwraith Flame, and Skeleton Horde. 

That's an issue with the range, not with the paints themselves.

20 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Since these spearhead pics are likely promotional material that will be used to promote the spearhead boxes it also likely doubles as a way to let new players know “Hey you dont have to paint them in any official colors, paint them however you want and do what you like” 

Especially with the rules changes not directly tying battle formations to specific subfactions, it further encourages players to do what they want and gives them thematic choices rather than directly tying their own creations to a sub faction in the lore

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

I'm not surprised, metallic speedpaint is a non-starter given how metallic paints and speed paints work. Speed paints flow into the recesses of a model and give you instant shadows because that's where the concentration of pigment is the highest. But for metallic pigments you don't want them highly concentrated in the recesses. You want the recesses to be dark, not especially shiny. 

A high-coverage metallic and a dark wash are the real secret to low-effort metallics.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I am starting to hate this new way of painting the Spearheads. They look too poor quality-wise.

I think it's their way of trying to show that not everybody - indeed, very few people - are going to be painting to the quality of professional painters like 'Eavy Metal, even the people working at Games Workshop.

It's easy for us to turn our noses up at it, but there'll be a lot of people who have their confidence in painting improved when seeing that even the people who work for GW (out of the painting studio anyway) aren't all pros. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, EthanolMuffins said:

Since these spearhead pics are likely promotional material that will be used to promote the spearhead boxes it also likely doubles as a way to let new players know “Hey you dont have to paint them in any official colors, paint them however you want and do what you like” 

Especially with the rules changes not directly tying battle formations to specific subfactions, it further encourages players to do what they want and gives them thematic choices rather than directly tying their own creations to a sub faction in the lore

I am so happy that they are showcasing that fact, ever since I first got into the hobby my favourite aspect has been developing my own scheme and theme... and my least favourite was having people explain to me why it is "inaccurate to have an Ultramarine in Royal Blue armour when that is the colour of Sucessor Cha...".

Age of Sigmar in particular is a vast setting where some Chaos Warriors wear Black, Some Red and somewhere out there a nice houndstooth ensemble.

• Like 3

Just now, Clan's Cynic said:

I think it's their way of trying to show that not everybody - indeed, very few people - are going to be painting to the quality of professional painters like 'Eavy Metal, even the people working at Games Workshop.

It's easy for us to turn our noses up at it, but there'll be a lot of people who have their confidence in painting improved when seeing that even the people who work for GW (out of the painting studio anyway) aren't all pros. 

There is also the enduring criticism that modern GW models are hard to paint because of how detailed they are. I think providing examples of a few models painted to a decent tabletop standard, using contrast paint to make those details work to the painter's advantage, would be very helpful in changing that perception.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

I feel bad for that one weirdo who makes a KO army without using skyvessels because now they have no battle traits other than "this is how skyvessels work". 

Yeah, at first scroll-through of the new rules I was like "Ok, seems basically the same, no big deal" but on re-read it's considerably less inspiring. No Code, transports nerfed in multiple ways, no sky ports(this is common to all armies, but I liked the Sky-Ports) no allegiance abilities at all if you aren't using boats. It's the blandest take we've seen on KO since 1st edition, which is on brand for 4E but still, eh. Arkanaught companies not being reinforced is also a huge hit to ground tactics and infantry tactics generally. Skywardens still seem like an option that has no reason to exist, ect.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm not surprised, metallic speedpaint is a non-starter given how metallic paints and speed paints work. Speed paints flow into the recesses of a model and give you instant shadows because that's where the concentration of pigment is the highest. But for metallic pigments you don't want them highly concentrated in the recesses. You want the recesses to be dark, not especially shiny. 

A high-coverage metallic and a dark wash are the real secret to low-effort metallics.

They absolutely exist and actually work pretty well, Army Painter makes them. They just don’t have a copper one that does what I want it to. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There is also the enduring criticism that modern GW models are hard to paint because of how detailed they are. I think providing examples of a few models painted to a decent tabletop standard, using contrast paint to make those details work to the painter's advantage, would be very helpful in changing that perception.

But it has a counterpart. When you show a mini painted to a decent standard rather than its "maximum exponent" you are not showcasing how good the minis are. I think a better approach would be adding some examples/ guides on how to approach the minis for beginners inside the box. Something like what the Hachette collectables do. That way you have a nice selling point in the box, but also you cover those that are new to the hobby and cannot reach those standards.

32 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Here's what I'm curious about: seeing that the Kharadron Code is no longer part of the KO's faction abilities, what will the Codewright do now?

In Warcry where he got new rules he can shut down enemy actions.

So I’m guessing he’ll have a version of Roar with those loudspeakers and probably a general buff command for his ships & crew.

And of course hitting them with the mighty battletome! 📕 💥 

Probably double chaos before another death/destruction preview, if I were to guess, then maybe another round of double order/chaos before a 1:1:1:1 rotation leading up to the Friday final reveal if I counted right?

image001.png

Posted (edited)

So faction focus seems to be is this order :

order , chaos , destruction , death 

So we can expect something like this

week 1 order , chaos , destruction , death

week 2 : order , order , chaos , destruction , death

week 3 order , order , chaos , destruction , death

week 4 : order , order , chaos , chaos , destruction

week 5 order , order , chaos , destruction (split orruk?) or chaos (BoC?), death 

Edited by Grunbag

7 minutes ago, Grunbag said:

So faction focus seems to be is this order :

order , chaos , destruction , death 

So we can expect something like this

week 1 order , chaos , destruction , death

week 2 : order , order , chaos , destruction , death

week 3 order , order , chaos , destruction , death

week 4 : order , order , chaos , chaos destruction 

week 5 order , order , chaos , destruction (split orruk?) or chaos (BoC?) , destruction 

One death missing, one destru to remove

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

It's definitely not just contrast. And it's very good (and in line with the Spearhead philosophy) that for once GW shows a result of more manageable approach to painting. Who knows, maybe they will eventually show battlefield with some scratch-build terrain, like in olden days.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Flippy said:

It's definitely not just contrast. And it's very good (and in line with the Spearhead philosophy) that for once GW shows a result of more manageable approach to painting. Who knows, maybe they will eventually show battlefield with some scratch-build terrain, like in olden days.

That would be awesome (especially if they stop producing it!).