The Rumour Thread

25 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I can't wait to play the game. Between Power Through, Counter-Charge, Redeploy and Covering Fire, games are going to be so much fun.

Aha! You are starting to feel my interest on the new rules for Kharadron.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

FS apparently got horrible sales numbers, so if GW doesn't support them now, they'll go the way of BoC. And if GW supported BoC, they wouldn't have gone away either.

I think FS used to have lower sales numbers, but they've been ranking quite high in both overall popularity/army collection polls and tournament playrates.

Online opinion has also shifted quite drastically for the better. You still have people calling for FS to be removed etc., but it's not popping up in literally every discussion about Fyreslayers anymore which makes it so much more fun to talk about them online.

Ever since the Auric Flamekeeper the models have had quite a lot of praise too. In fact, the entire renewed Aesthetic seems to be very well-received since the Vulkyn Flameseekers. I think a new wave in this aesthetic is very likely and quite imminent.

As for the existing kits, I don't think they're bad or in need of replacement. I think once we have more than just 2 units that the existing kits would not look out of place at all, and their issues are not nearly as bad when the army consists of more than just 2 units.

If they do end up reworking Vulkites and Hearthguard, I want them to go all-out. Mix in the female Fyreslayers that we know exist and fight for their lodges, give the sculpts within the unit more customization/distinction from each other (capes/mantles/kilts/pauldrons/etc.), make the Hearthguard look more elite than the Vulkites, but also stay true to the FS aesthetic.

Buff, mostly unarmored zealots with mohawks hammering pieces of their god into themselves riding dragons is my favourite aesthetic in all of Warhammer. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I think it would be a huge loss for FS not to get developed further.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

No, no, fight each other - mankind for the win!

Idoneth need another wave (sounds fitting), KO too and especially FS need more. I'll exclude DoK as I believe they'll get a big release once Malerion hits. FS apparently got horrible sales numbers, so if GW doesn't support them now, they'll go the way of BoC. And if GW supported BoC, they wouldn't have gone away either. 

GW's idea to break up factions and release mini-armies has to be one of the stupidest decisions in a long, long time - the idea itself isn't necessarily dumb, I mean it was nice to have a couple of new forces fast for AoS but the execution most certainly was. They should've known that most people nowadays are unwilling to wait 5+ years for a range extension. I think they could've helped the situation by taking a page out of WHFB's book - where not every new unit had actual models and people built their own until they were ready.

The things I would do for an IDK wave, their models are so pretty they need more asap

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I think FS used to have lower sales numbers, but they've been ranking quite high in both overall popularity/army collection polls and tournament playrates.

Where do you get that data?

I have just checked several tables in Woehammer and FS have been a bottom 5 playrate in all the edition.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ragest said:

I have just checked several tables in Woehammer and FS have been a bottom 5 playrate in all the edition.

This is from the Honest Wargamer. FS is not a popular army, but that would change in a heartbeat if GW would give FS a proper miniature update in the same quality of thet Warcry band.

Link

15_andtor-meta-rep-1024x576.png?strip=all&lossy=1&ssl=1

Edited by Tonhel

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Online opinion has also shifted quite drastically for the better. You still have people calling for FS to be removed etc., but it's not popping up in literally every discussion about Fyreslayers anymore which makes it so much more fun to talk about them online.

Ever since the Auric Flamekeeper the models have had quite a lot of praise too. In fact, the entire renewed Aesthetic seems to be very well-received since the Vulkyn Flameseekers. I think a new wave in this aesthetic is very likely and quite imminent.

As for the existing kits, I don't think they're bad or in need of replacement. I think once we have more than just 2 units that the existing kits would not look out of place at all, and their issues are not nearly as bad when the army consists of more than just 2 units.

If they do end up reworking Vulkites and Hearthguard, I want them to go all-out. Mix in the female Fyreslayers that we know exist and fight for their lodges, give the sculpts within the unit more customization/distinction from each other (capes/mantles/kilts/pauldrons/etc.), make the Hearthguard look more elite than the Vulkites, but also stay true to the FS aesthetic.

Buff, mostly unarmored zealots with mohawks hammering pieces of their god into themselves riding dragons is my favourite aesthetic in all of Warhammer. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I think it would be a huge loss for FS not to get developed further.

More power to you and all FS, I might come off as antagonistic in some statements but I just think that GW needs to support them more if they want the range to succeed. A lot of people are fans of dwarves after all. It‘s just that right now - I think not just IMO - FS could use more varied stuff. Doesn‘t mean it has to be something totally different like fire-elementals or machines but I think the overtly one-note look they had at first isn‘t doing them favors unless you want exactly just that particular look, Even the WarCry band that added new details was really well received. 

Edited by MitGas

14 minutes ago, EthanolMuffins said:

The things I would do for an IDK wave, their models are so pretty they need more asap

And they could so easily add really cool new things to them. Not just underwater-aelfs but so many creatures! 

• LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

This is from the Honest Wargamer. FS is not a popular army, but that would change in a heartbeat if GW would give FS a proper miniature update in the same quality of thet Warcry band.

That literally was the update.

8 minutes ago, Ragest said:

I know no poll is fully representative, but this reddit poll from a while back ended up surprising quite a few people

And Andtor was especially bad for Fyreslayers, so I don't expect their most recent tournament representation to be that high.

4 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

This is from the Honest Wargamer. FS is not a popular army, but that would change in a heartbeat if GW would give a proper miniature update in the same quality of thet Warcry band.

But even here, even though FS is not the most popular, it's really close to factions like Slaanesh, Ironjawz, IDK, and even above Tzeentch. People are not dooming and glooming about any of those factions either.

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, it‘s not ideal but is it any better to set up various armies for failure due to a lack of support just because GW think it‘s better to release the 500th Stormcast unit? I think not!

Not a real dig at SCE but we know some forces need something fast and the BoC situation could‘ve been averted entirely. 👏

IMO the problem with that is that it creates balance issues in competition, and they seem to be pretty focused on that side of the game right now.

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, it‘s not ideal but is it any better to set up various armies for failure due to a lack of support just because GW think it‘s better to release the 500th Stormcast unit? I think not!

Not a real dig at SCE but we know some forces need something fast and the BoC situation could‘ve been averted entirely. 👏

IMO the problem with that is that it creates balance issues in competition, and they seem to be pretty focused on that side of the game right now.

37 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

It simply seems like a reference to the fact that DoK are allied with Sigmar under GA: Order, even though their ways are a bit... questionable.

I think it just refers to DB 5 lore.

22 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I agree with this, I've been saying the same for a long time now. I think actually the first notable bump in popularity Fyreslayers got was with their 2E battletome, which made them much more elite and fun to play, (plus the endless spells are really cool) vs the oldest version of the army which was literally just mass vulkites and sit on objectives. 3E with finally a new model that looked good and another solid battletome raised interest even higher in my experience, I see new people starting Fyreslayers with some regularity ever since.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Link

I‘d like to heart your post but since DoT are below BoC… not good for me! 

GW need to release properly armored Tzeentch warriors right the Eff now. Not everyone is into birbboys and naked bodybuilders. People that play Chaos want armored models and that‘s what‘s lacking in DoT. 

11 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Link

Skaven is midsize, when we know they are a solid deal in terms of Instagram mentions, for example. Second after SCE. I wouldn't give credit to this kind of data. It will always change depending on the prism you use to look at them.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, MitGas said:

More power to you and all FS, I might come off as antagonistic in some statements but I just think that GW needs to support them more if they want the range to succeed. A lot of people are fans of dwarves after all. It‘s just that right now - I think not just IMO - FS could use more varied stuff. Doesn‘t mean it has to be something totally different like fire-elementals or machines but I think the overtly one-note look they had at first isn‘t doing them favors unless you want exactly just that particular look, Even the WarCry band that added new details was really well received. 

Nah, you're not the one coming off as antagonistic against FS.

I agree that they could use something more. They already have a fire elemental as endless spell, there has been lore in the 3rd ed BT about something fire-incarnate-like stirring beneath the FS lodges, so I think Fire Elementals fit perfectly.

But honestly, even if they have another unit things would be much more varied already even if it's not that different. Just look at FEC, all units are basically a variation of 'Ghoul' and that army works perfectly fine. You have basic ghouls, elite ghouls, ghoul heroes, winged ghouls, cavalry ghouls, Ushoran and the Varghulf. Everything is quite similar but it makes for a really nice looking army.

The biggest problem with FS is that they're too heavy on the heroes. If FS got a Zharrgrim priesthood unit (instead of just 3 priest heroes), a minidroth cavalry unit (instead of just 3 heroes on magmadroth), and some mixed unit with female fyreslayers in there (other than just the Warcry Warband), the army would already be infinitely more varied even though it's mostly existing concepts. Add in a centrepiece (Maybe Bael-Grimnir or his daughter on Flamespitter?) and FS and FEC would be very comparable.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I dunno, would it really? If they can create 15 good units, they could probably create 17 as well. 

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Skaven is midsize, when we know they are a solid deal in terms of Instagram mentions, for example. Second after SCE. I wouldn't give credit to this kind of data. It will always change depending on the prism you use to look at them.

I don't think you can't find much better data than this. It's from the Honest Wargamer and stats and data collection are their thing. It's based on tournament results from all over the world.

You can chose to not believe this data. Even if it is only from tournament data, it is the best thing we have. Ofcourse GW are the only ones with 100% correct numbers, but I trust the Honest Wargamers data a lot more your subjective gut feeling 😛😉 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snarff said:

The biggest problem with FS is that they're too heavy on the heroes. If FS got a Zharrgrim priesthood unit, a minidroth cavalry unit, and some mixed unit with female fyreslayers in there, the army would already be infinitely more varied even though it's mostly existing concepts. Add in a centrepiece (Maybe Bael-Grimnir or his daughter on Flamespitter?) and FS and FEC would be very comparable.

What would a Zharrgrim priesthood unit even do? Like, I can see it existing from a lore perspective, there are junior members of the priesthood like the Klinkin, but its weird. Like, are there any units where the entire squad pretty much counts as a single priest ala Tzeentch Horrors or Stormcast Evocators? 

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

I think they could've helped the situation by taking a page out of WHFB's book - where not every new unit had actual models and people built their own until they were ready.

God I hated that! You spent a fortune kitbashing a load of units, and ages painting them, then you get cucked when they released new sculpts that were so much better. Or else remove the model or unit from the codex/army book completely. Ultimate feels bad.

• Like 1