The Rumour Thread

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I dunno, would it really? If they can create 15 good units, they could probably create 17 as well. 

Yeah. That's the problem. If they do two that you have to kitbash, but are overturned, you are "forcing" competitive players into that. If you don't over tune them, maybe is not worth the shot.

A tricky balance.

Edited by Ejecutor

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

What would a Zharrgrim priesthood unit even do? Like, I can see it existing from a lore perspective, there are junior members of the priesthood like the Klinkin, but its weird. Like, are there any units where the entire squad pretty much counts as a single priest ala Tzeentch Horrors or Stormcast Evocators? 

image.png.aa24c4ca20c75c278b1ca8d84e693d22.png

Just a quick look at the Lexicanum shows that you can do a ton with Zharrgrim.

Hammer-wielding forgeworkers as support units, a unit of Kyndledroths with their tamer wielding whips, pickaxe wielding-tunnelers who can deepstrike without a runesmiter. You can have them invoking a unit of Fire-Incarnate like creatures. They can even draw on the power of Vulcatrix, so a bunch of half-droth half Duardin models like we've seen in art would not be that crazy either.

And since they're Zharrgrim, you can easily make them visually distinctive. Plus, there are still eight unknown priesthood ranks, so they can go nuts with thinking of new concepts too.

Just look at what they did with Kharadron heroes recently. The Codewright and Brewmaster-General are both very unexpected, yet fit perfectly with the rest of the KO range. FS has the same amount of untapped potential right for the picking.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 3

If they released enough units in the style of the new warband, I would start FS in a heartbeat. I just don't like the completely naked look of the current models, and the waist capes help mitigate that for the warband. I could easily get away with painting pants under those waist capes, and the extra armor and scaled bits are amazing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I don't think you can't find much better data than this. It's from the Honest Wargamer and stats and data collection are their thing. It's based on tournament results from all over the world.

You can chose to not believe this data. Even if it is only from tournament data, it is the best thing we have. Ofcourse GW are the only ones with 100% correct numbers, but I trust the Honest Wargamers data a lot more your subjective gut feeling 😛😉 

This isn't true if you're trying to guage faction popularity. The woehammer stats are more comprehensive. If you look at this you can see that DoT used to be 6% of the meta and then it dropped off a cliff. That's has nothing to do with popularity and everything to do with competitive viability. image-16.png.e8d45296c743560f0edcc2566cc4ff9c.png

There are a few trends you can learn. If an army has bad results but consistently high representation it's a sure sign that's it's a popular faction. The opposite is also true. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

This isn't true if you're trying to guage faction popularity. The woehammer stats are more comprehensive. If you look at this you can see that DoT used to be 6% of the meta and then it dropped off a cliff. That's has nothing to do with popularity and everything to do with competitive viability. image-16.png.e8d45296c743560f0edcc2566cc4ff9c.png

There are a few trends you can learn. If an army has bad results but consistently high representation it's a sure sign that's it's a popular faction. The opposite is also true. 

Yah I mean you can see FS was super popular during the foot hero GHB

Just now, Chikout said:

Same thing with Fyreslayers. You can see where Andtor released and where FS started struggling, only then did they start to lose tournament viability. If we Interpret this as popularity, then FS was at times much more popular than many other armies.

Tournament representation has not much to do with popularity, just competitivity of the army at the time.

Some armies are less sensitive like Gitz or Ogors but armies like DoK or OBR are only played in tournaments if they're good.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, KarrWolves said:

OBR are only played in tournaments if they're good.

In the defense of the OBR’s playrate this edition- Until we got our tome we literally couldn’t use All-Out Attack, All-Out Defense, Redeploy, Rally, Charge Reroll, or any of the good stuff that required Command Points. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In my experience tournament viability and overall popularity outside of them are largely separate things, though they can be somewhat linked depending on if the army is popular generally.

Competitive/tournament-attending players are much more likely to play an army because it's strong above all else, but we know that those hardcore types tend to be a minority. That being said, there's definitely a correlation between non-competitive popularity translating somewhat into tournament popularity (see: Space Marines in 40k) but tournaments are a difficult metric to base overall popularity of in the case of the wider game.

Genestealer Cults in 40k are another good comparison. Whenever the army is strong, they tend to have quite a decent tournament presence but as soon as they ease down into the middling/low they fall off a cliff pretty much instantaneously, and even when they're consistently hitting top tables their presence is never huge because it's a very expensive army to collect in terms of time and money. I can count the amount of committed, non-competitive GSC (and Fyreslayer) fans I know on one hand, but if you attend a tournament when they're powerful that number soars.

You're far more likely to encounter a Fyreslayers player at a tournament than you are a LFGS casuals night or narrative event because the army has generally been pretty good overall this edition, at least in terms of power. 

Obviously all of this is anecdotal, but based on my experience it's certainly been the case across 40k and AoS.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

6 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Jesus, Kragnos is terrible.

You mean the character, model, or stats? 😄

Yay to my big bellied brethren. 

The current sculpts are nice and have definitely had a good run but imo could really use an update. Looking at you, CoS warhulk. 

For anyone looking for alternatives, have a look at Claybeastcreations. 

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/ClayBeastCreation/collection/sons-of-the-everfeast

I'm just a patreon but wanted to give a shout out. 

Gettng closer and closer to the the bog boyz....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

In the defense of the OBR’s playrate this edition- Until we got our tome we literally couldn’t use All-Out Attack, All-Out Defense, Redeploy, Rally, Charge Reroll, or any of the good stuff that required Command Points. 

yeah, obr kind of just weren't allowed to play 3e for most of the edition.

26 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Ogor Mawtribes Faction Focus. Flesh-Eater Courts tomorrow.

UGXs2A9gkYtjhBxG.jpg

They also snuck Kragnos' Warscroll in there.

8Mhd5dFqAWCxXhT6.jpg

I'm a little whelmed. The warscroll changes are a little less bad for Ogors than I was expecting, but their already kinda sparse army abilities got nerfed straight into the ground.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madmac said:

I'm a little whelmed. The warscroll changes are a little less bad for Ogors than I was expecting, but their already kinda sparse army abilities got nerfed straight into the ground.

Worth noting they still have Might Makes Right, it's just baked directly into the warscrolls' control characteristic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Chikout said:

That is from dec 22 to nov 23. The data from the Honest Warhammer is  for the month april 2024.

Ofcourse the data that is based on tournament results is not representative for the average hobbyist. But the numbers are what they are.

Wow, Ogors can throw out nightmarish amounts of mortal wounds on the charge -> feast turn.

30 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Jesus, Kragnos is terrible.

Are we reading the same warscroll here? The +1 die to charges for allies in 12" alone is fantastic, before we get to the rest of the rules.