The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The basic shot is roughly on par with the damage of an Ironweld Greatcannon unbuffed (a bit better).

I wanted to get a feeling for how strong More-More Warpstone Bullets is and did a test roll. Rolled 33 attacks and immediately blew myself up on the hit roll. So working as intended, I guess.

It is not a bug. It is a feature.

The zombie dragon's ability seems interesting. I'm sure it is just me being a hack and a fraud, but it kinda seems like he can double charge after he got in combat the first time. Doesn't that mean he can just YOLO over the screen towards the backline?

Hell, if I read this correctly he doesn't even need to end in combat with the first unit he charged.

Definitely not hopium because I painted three last month.

You're correct, it's basically a toned down version of the current stonehorn monstrous rampage.  Except the ZD is on the world's biggest base, so it's even tricker to sneak it in somewhere useful!

7 minutes ago, LeviathanL said:

The zombie dragon's ability seems interesting. I'm sure it is just me being a hack and a fraud, but it kinda seems like he can double charge after he got in combat the first time. Doesn't that mean he can just YOLO over the screen towards the backline?

Hell, if I read this correctly he doesn't even need to end in combat with the first unit he charged.

Definitely not hopium because I painted three last month.

That is correct. 

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally the anti-competitive crowd in both AoS and TOW are the ones killing my hype the most at the moment. They certainly pushed me out of WHFB when I was a teen, too.

Curious to see what is this "anti-competitive crowd", because so far, in social media with AoS and TOW, the competitive crowd is the one trying to push hard and very dominant.

If you were talking about me specifically on this forum, I would understand. I admit I'm very vocal on that matter. But who else, really ?

Otherwise, sorry for killing your hype.

16 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Curious to see what is this "anti-competitive crowd", because so far, in social media with AoS and TOW, the competitive crowd is the one trying to push hard and very dominant.

If you were talking about me specifically on this forum, I would understand. I admit I'm very vocal on that matter. But who else, really ?

Otherwise, sorry for killing your hype.

I don't want to antagonize your or anyone else on TGA with this. Everyone here is still really chill in the grand scheme of things. 

The people who post on r/warhammetfantasy on Reddit, though, have really damaged my desire to get into TOW, for example. Like, a new player will post a thread over there asking something like "Do Mortis Engine auras stack? That seems like a fun thing to build around if they do." and be met with "If you tried that kind of ****** my table, I'd throw you out, you WAAC sweatlord. Go back to 40k."

I believe I even saw @JackStreichercatch some hate over there on occasion for really innocuous comments, and you know that he's pretty far from a meta-chasing tournament grinder.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

It's not about 'negativity', it's people who care a lot being upset and wanting to express themselves. 

Expressing yourself negatively is something you're allowed to do, and being upset is reacting negatively. Which is fine- it's neutral! I think my and others issues with this negativity is that it is a reaction to small glimpses of overhauled rules. It's not a reaction to having all of the information you need.

Points are thankfully going up, and it looks like returning dead units is in (over summoning). So like even if new rules "suck" you're not necessarily staring at a dead unit the entire game. Your 'worse' battleline aren't THAT much worse than mine, etc. The regiment building seems like it is primed for synergizing small battlefield groups which is also exciting.

edit: meant being overly negative, not negativity in general

Edited by CommissarRotke

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't want to antagonize your or anyone else on TGA with this. Everyone here is still really chill in the grand scheme of things. 

The people who post on r/warhammetfantasy on Reddit, though, have really damaged my desire to get into TOW, for example. Like, a new player will post a thread over there asking something like "Do Mortis Engine auras stack? That seems like a fun thing to build around if they do." and be met with "If you tried that kind of ****** my table, I'd throw you out, you WAAC sweatlord. Go back to 40k."

I believe I even saw @JackStreichercatch some hate over there on occasion for really innocuous comments, and you know that he's pretty far from a meta-chasing tournament grinder.

Understandable, thanks for answering.

Reddit has always been a troublesome place and it's not really specific to Warhammer TBH. I don't go there personnally.

This is more about someone having a bad behaviour than "a crowd", to me. And it doesn't necessarily mean the guy saying that was "anti-competitive". In times of Warhammer Battle, I have known competitive communities that have very specific way to play competitive - most famous is not playing with Forgeworld / named characters because they were deemed "OP". I have witnessed very agressive behaviour from members of that community towards someone who was showing another point of view : like playing competitive with these FW units / named characters.

But yeah, assuming things / intentions about someone else is also an issue. I know I can be very rigid sometimes...I try to correct myself when I can.

Overall, I have seen a huge positive feedback from AoS 4th. I agree that maybe it's just not for me.

2 hours ago, BarakUrbaz said:

I dunno, I think beefy attack profiles are very much part of the Ogors appeals. Like, seeing a big unit of Ironguts obliterate a unit of chaff, killing three models with every swing is very satisfying. Which is why I think that Ogre Kingdoms in Warhammer Fantasy/The Old World kinda feel a bit underwhelming; their units are mostly Strength 4, which means they hit about as hard as Chaos Warriors, Saurus and even Orcs with Choppaz. For those unfamiliar with Fantasy imagine if the Ogor attack statline was something like 4s to hit, 3s to wound, Damage 1 and how that would feel so less impactful. 

That is imo a bit of an oversimplification. :D It's true that the damage output of Ogors is much higher in AoS, but the damage output as a whole is much higher in AoS than in TOW. The casualty rate per combat is much higher. 

In TOW an Ogre Bull has triple the amount of wounds and attacks compared to a Chaos Warrior, causes fear and has Armourbane (1) and Impact Hits (1).

In example in AoS a basic steelhelm has attacks while the Empire State troops have only 1 attack. The CoS Steelhelm hits and wounds the Ogor on a 4+, while an Empire soldier with hand weapon hits the Ogre on a 4+ and wounds on a 5+. This combined with only 1 attack means that in comparison with AoS, Ogres are basically more terryfing against a human soldier in TOW than in AoS. It just doesn't look like that because of the lower number of attacks and other stats.

But you are 100% correct that in AoS it's easier to feel the raw power of  a unit/monster. I am still impressed with the AoS 4th Edition Krogixor warscroll. But this doesn't mean it's actual a more powerful unit compared to its TOW counterpart.

1 hour ago, pixieproxy said:

The push and pull of noble deeds during games and the interesting decisions you have to make because of them is what is making me think that FEC has some of the best gameplay in AoS right now as someone who plays them. Delusions on the other hand are just passive buffs - personally the noble deeds are better designed and make every hero choice interesting. ESPECIALLY now with the way list building is

fair enough, but noble deeds are also kind of a hassle, require extra tracking, and are super complicated by 4e faction trait standards, requiring a ton of text to explain.

I don't dislike them, but yeah, I would have prefered the rule that imo packa a bit more flavor into a lot fewer words.

even so, fec looking great.  very happy with the preview, even if there weren't really any surprises in it due to how closely it keeps to the current rules.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

In TOW an Ogre Bull has triple the amount of wounds and attacks compared to a Chaos Warrior, causes fear and has Armourbane (1) and Impact Hits (1).

The thing is that adding extra wounds and attacks doesn't actually make it feel stronger than a Chaos Warrior, it just makes it feel like multiple Chaos Warriors stapled together if that makes sense. Not to mention that Chaos Warriors have significantly higher Weapon Skill and Ensorcelled Weapons which gives them consistent AP-1 (as opposed to Ogre Bulls who only get it on 6s), which means each of their individual attacks feels deadlier even if there's less per model. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

It's funny, because KO is still paying the tax for being the 'the shooting army', while their shooting is in fact like a newborn baby's ****** compared to Tzeench and now, it would seem, Skaven.

As someone who has played KO (mainly in second, since I wanted a more casual friendly army as well) I think it's missing something to say that KO are being punished for being shooting. They pay a premium for being a potentially very fast moving army in a game where movement is a massively important feature. Shooting is also less interactive than combat. 

I don't see how KO shooting seems like a limp noodle. Thunderers have essentially 20 shots, 3s and 4s, rend 1. (I say essentially because 40% of the shooting is actually 4s and 3s), which is an expected third of all shots getting through. So 6.7.

The skaven vehicle gets an expected 13.5 shots at 4s and 3s, rend 1. It does also have auto wound, which results in expecting to convert 39% of those shots to damage. So 5.27. If you boost it it's 24 expected shots, and 9.59 expected.

Given you can only boost one rattling gun, and how much more fragile it is, that sounds reasonable.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

It's funny, because KO is still paying the tax for being the 'the shooting army', while their shooting is in fact like a newborn baby's ****** compared to Tzeench and now, it would seem, Skaven.

I didn't do any math (yet), but how good are the rats comapred to our shooting?

11 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Am I reading this right, it looks to me that "more more warpstone bullets" automatically happens if the model is near a Skryre hero and it's no longer a choice of if you want to take the risk?

What do you expect about this oversized rats? (btw, you are right lol)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

The skaven vehicle gets an expected 13.5 shots at 4s and 3s, rend 1. It does also have auto wound, which results in expecting to convert 39% of those shots to damage. So 5.27. If you boost it it's 24 expected shots, and 9.59 expected.

Given you can only boost one rattling gun, and how much more fragile it is, that sounds reasonable.

If you're running Warpcog Convocation (which pretty much every Skaven shooting list is going to do) you can add +1 to wound for shooting on a 2+ for three units. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

What do you expect about this oversized rats? (btw, you are right lol)

It's wonderfully lore consistent that the gun crew try to keep away from their leaders so there's less chance they'll be made to risk blowing themselves up! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Garrac said:

So, anything else solid-ish on the release date of Skaventide? Really need the info so I can plan my vacations this summer, and plan beforehand tbh.

Do not go on vacation…Do not go on vacation… Do nt go on vaction… do n g n vctn….DONG! DONG! DONG! 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

If you're running Warpcog Convocation (which pretty much every Skaven shooting list is going to do) you can add +1 to wound for shooting on a 2+ for three units. 

Given we don't know all the rules I was just going with base rules. It's a little premature to go full mathhammer until we have a complete look. Assuming that we give them that bonus, then it is 6 damage without the once per army boost, and 10.7 with it 

22 minutes ago, Garrac said:

So, anything else solid-ish on the release date of Skaventide? Really need the info so I can plan my vacations this summer, and plan beforehand tbh.

It looks like we're heading for a pre-order on 29 June (reinforced by Elarin's news, the end of faction focus and GW shop campaign, just before the pre-order announcement on Sunday 23) for an official release on 13 July.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

The thing is that adding extra wounds and attacks doesn't actually make it feel stronger than a Chaos Warrior, it just makes it feel like multiple Chaos Warriors stapled together if that makes sense. Not to mention that Chaos Warriors have significantly higher Weapon Skill and Ensorcelled Weapons which gives them consistent AP-1 (as opposed to Ogre Bulls who only get it on 6s), which means each of their individual attacks feels deadlier even if there's less per model. 

Yet a single ogre will kill more Empire state troops than a single Chaos Warrior. And as shown with the example of the steelhelms vs State troops. With 100% succes rolls only 2 steelhelms are needed to kill an ogor compared to 3 state troopers in TOW.