The Rumour Thread

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Well I liked this video way more than the first one ! There the characters and the narrative is way more beliveable (from and in-universe viewpoint - except that silly magic map with greeny skaven animation :P ), good job here!

17 hours ago, Grimrock said:

They absolutely gutted nurgle.

You really put the grim in Grimrock don't you... GOOD, LET DESPAIR FLOW THROUGH YOU

Joke aside I expected the wheel to go, and I'm happy with a streamlined "Diseased" ability (I can still use my Nurgle Dice to represent units with that keyword, nice). Conflagration of tzeentch really is an afterthought in comparison (and our units are stronger). 

As I mainly play Nurgle Daemons, the Sloppity still being a (cool) thing is great, as well as Plaguebearers with crit (mortals), cloud of flies, two wounds, etc. And the GUO is a MONSTER !! Summoning, shoot in combats, big damages, etc. 

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nurgle is my most played army. At this point I'm pretty curious about the changes. We just haven't played enough of 4th to know how things shake out. Stuff like counter charge is huge for nurgle. You can auto run onto points, then counter charge if your opponent approaches. If they don't you are holding the points. There are just many effects where we need to play it out to see how it goes. 

I'm hoping there are more ways to get disease going, but its an interesting mechanic for sure. I really like the old disease points one, but it was very 6 based. Rolling a lot of dice, then hoping for 6s then 4s.

Blight kings going to 3 Wounds, 3+ from 4 wounds, 4+, I get it. Its probably mostly a nerf. That said, 50 points a blight king was STEEP. That was only a touch less than a troll, and pretty close profile wise to trolls.  I think the armour change makes sense. Most of the unit is actually in full plate. 3 of the 5 are in full armour, and the other two are doing the whole, bloated and holes running right through them. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I highly doubt it will take GW 2 and a half years to release all the battletomes. 

40k, which is also a index edition, will have 10 codexes out when sisters and Genestealers hit in a couple of weeks. With the rate they are going, another 8-12 books by the end of 2024 isn't out of the question. 

GW also released a Battletome for every faction within 18 months at the start of 3rd edition. 

I foresee every faction to have a Battletome by the end of 2025. 

Well the where unlucky armies like Soulblight gravelords and FeC in both edition. Even City of sigmar was pretty late in the edition.

FEC got particularly screwed by being the last one as the general release was like just 3 months ago

Edited by novakai

2 hours ago, novakai said:

Well the where unlucky armies like Soulblight gravelords and FeC in both edition. Even City of sigmar was pretty late in the edition.

FEC got particularly screwed by being the last one as the general release was like just 3 months ago

Soulblight was a brand new army and that was the 2nd battletime for FEC in 3rd edition. 

I'm not disputing that a faction will be last to be released before 5th edition hits which gives a limited shelf life to that book, what I'm disputing is that whichever battletome is last to be released will be the first proper battletome for that faction in 4th edition. 

I stand by every faction will have a battletome within 18 months of the release of 4th edition. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I also thought about the indexes in a similar way to the spearhead modo. A simplified way to introduce newbies.

40k Index and 40k codex datasheet are almost the same with a few twists to improve or expand some game mechanics but almost all are still the same.

If you think that the BT will overhaul the indexes with a complexity level of previous edition you are gonna be really dissappointed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, novakai said:

But their batletome flavours has kinda continue with the indexes. Also, some where saying this is the downside of the indexes, to me there's not a big difference between an edition with or without indexes. In both cases you end playing with a battletome that is out of date, so for me I prefer the indexes.

13 hours ago, Swamp Trogg said:

Imho, all these preview shows that the new game design path respects the old "less is more" adage. 

In this regard, the blightkings are perfect : they are though (high armor and Hp, then a nice little ward), they give you deseases (via the allegence ability) and they have their own little ability on top of that.

Minis doesn't need a bazillion rules to feel unique or lore friendly. 

As somebody who has played a bit of Warmaster recently, I totally agree with this!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I highly doubt it will take GW 2 and a half years to release all the battletomes. 

40k, which is also a index edition, will have 10 codexes out when sisters and Genestealers hit in a couple of weeks. With the rate they are going, another 8-12 books by the end of 2024 isn't out of the question. 

GW also released a Battletome for every faction within 18 months at the start of 3rd edition. 

I foresee every faction to have a Battletome by the end of 2025. 

That sounds cool. What books do you think they'll release for the remainder of the edition? More narrative/campaign books? Or do factions ever get a second Battletome later in the same edition?

Edit: I should have read the subsequent comments before posting mine. Looks like this has already been discussed.

Edited by EntMan

7 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Nurgle is my most played army. At this point I'm pretty curious about the changes. We just haven't played enough of 4th to know how things shake out. Stuff like counter charge is huge for nurgle. You can auto run onto points, then counter charge if your opponent approaches. If they don't you are holding the points. There are just many effects where we need to play it out to see how it goes. 

I'm hoping there are more ways to get disease going, but its an interesting mechanic for sure. I really like the old disease points one, but it was very 6 based. Rolling a lot of dice, then hoping for 6s then 4s.

Blight kings going to 3 Wounds, 3+ from 4 wounds, 4+, I get it. Its probably mostly a nerf. That said, 50 points a blight king was STEEP. That was only a touch less than a troll, and pretty close profile wise to trolls.  I think the armour change makes sense. Most of the unit is actually in full plate. 3 of the 5 are in full armour, and the other two are doing the whole, bloated and holes running right through them. 

I really don‘t get why people argue for one second about BKs having high saves even if some of them wear little armor - there‘s no toughness in AoS, a stat Nurgle always excelled at. Nurglites are said time and time again to shrug off wounds that kill others. Obviously the decent armor save reflects the lore.

…unlike giving the Curseling a 4+/4+ for to hit and to wound(that‘s especially weird, the Curseling if standing upright would be larger than a Chaos Warrior!) for his sword and staff. That seems less fitting to me when even a Gaunt Summoner(!) has it. Guess the tretchlet is incompetent at fighting and pulls the human side down or something.

11 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I really don‘t get why people argue for one second about BKs having high saves even if some of them wear little armor - there‘s no toughness in AoS, a stat Nurgle always excelled at. Nurglites are said time and time again to shrug off wounds that kill others. Obviously the decent armor save reflects the lore.

…unlike giving the Curseling a 4+/4+ for to hit and to wound(that‘s especially weird, the Curseling if standing upright would be larger than a Chaos Warrior!) for his sword and staff. That seems less fitting to me when even a Gaunt Summoner(!) has it. Guess the tretchlet is incompetent at fighting and pulls the human side down or something.

Yeah I basically took the high save (plus ward) as BKs just being very difficult to wound in a way that actually causes them significant damage.

I guess you could make the argument that Plaguebearers shouldn't have a 6+ save though if that is the case, though maybe the 5+ ward is enough to acount for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

By the way, I was re-reading the general rules preview after the Nurgle Focus : do we know what "abilitiy (Army)" means ? "Army", as oppose to what ? 

Like Locus of Nurgle here : 

fEd9IO3ZDjr7jgNG.jpg.5ac626e26fb967a5d6549703e4dbfd8f.jpg

Or Soul-shaking roar from Krondys : 

nINkO8uHExExv30W.jpg.b84262505bbf4ab9cd6eaaefadbeab6a.jpg

I think it means you can use the ability only once per turn for your whole army (so can't use it twice even if you have two copies of the same unit)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

By the way, I was re-reading the general rules preview after the Nurgle Focus : do we know what "abilitiy (Army)" means ? "Army", as oppose to what ? 

Short answer: we don't. Can try educated guesses, of course, but it hasn't been addressed in any of the articles so far.

41 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Imo, the toughness of the blightking was better represented with health than armour save. Thus health 4 instead of 3 and armour save 5+ instead of 3+. The ward 5+ is there to represent the shrugging of wounds.

Bloated bulk could instead of adding to the control score be ignore 1 rend. But that is how I see Blightkings and its models.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I think it means you can use the ability only once per turn for your whole army (so can't use it twice even if you have two copies of the same unit)

It may also be there in the event of a mirror match. If two identical models with the same ability are in opposing armies, then each army can use the ability once per turn (in other words, an opponent can't use the ability in your turn and then argue that you can't use it because the "once per turn" restriction has been met.)

31 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Short answer: we don't. Can try educated guesses, of course, but it hasn't been addressed in any of the articles so far.

We know exactly what it means. It's what @Marcvs said. One one time per army even if you have two guos. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

But that's the nature of the indexes, IMHO. If you have all the fun in the index and just expand a bit the lore and add something minor that doesn't add fun in the BT, why would people that are not tournament players buy it? They have to save a decent chunk of the fun for the BTs.

I think others have said this, but it'll be like when we had the Grand Alliance books and no-one bought the original BTs so they had to think of extra gumph to put in the books after giving the warscrolls away for free - the 4th ed Battletomes will add new artefacts, battle formations, and spells/prayers, plus a warscroll(s) for the obligatory new hero model or models. None of the indices will come with new art or lore, so that'll be in the BT, and there will probably be new path to glory content and new Spearhead content, plus any revisions from FAQs or amends to warscrolls based on the feedback they collect (albeit likely in later tomes).

I expect the core rules and warscrolls will largely stay the same though, so I don't expect a lot more flavour or character being added. Simplifying and streamlining things is good, and I think the intention behind giving each units its niche is good too, but to me it just makes something like Blight Kings, who are clearly designed to sit on objectives and not be moved, just a bit bland when they look like they should be able to smash you in the face. 

I collect SCE, Nighthaunt and BoK, and I'm gunning for a destruction faction so I've got one from each grand alliance, and I can't say I've seen anything from any of the faction previews so far that made me think 'oh that's cool, I want to play that.' Still, plenty more previews to come. I guess in a way that puts the focus back on the models, and just collecting what's cool rules be damned. But it has to be fun and interesting to play as well, which was actually one of the reasons I shelled out on BoK over say HoS.

I'm loathe to buy a physical battletome again anyway after they changed a load of the SCE rules in a digital FAQ about 2 weeks after they released the 3rd book, a problem that appeared across a lot of factions. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Swamp Trogg said:

Imho, all these preview shows that the new game design path respects the old "less is more" adage. 

In this regard, the blightkings are perfect : they are though (high armor and Hp, then a nice little ward), they give you deseases (via the allegence ability) and they have their own little ability on top of that.

Minis doesn't need a bazillion rules to feel unique or lore friendly. 

For me on the other hand that's the most negative factor so far. Big enough to make me stick to 3rd edition. Simplyfying everything makes it boring. Traits and special skills are being cut here and there and the more faction focus previews I see the less it is likely ifor me to play castrated AoS 4.0.

Leaked books on a French site:

They are being released on the 13th of next month:

So, for me, that confirms that's the date we will see the box in the stores, considering the 29th + 2 weeks preorder time.

3 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Imo, the toughness of the blightking was better represented with health than armour save. Thus health 4 instead of 3 and armour save 5+ instead of 3+. The ward 5+ is there to represent the shrugging of wounds.

Bloated bulk could instead of adding to the control score be ignore 1 rend. But that is how I see Blightkings and its models.

Also fine I guess (forgive me for skipping the maths behind it but I take it it would be fair) - anyways, they should be tough in one way or another, even if they follow the Fyreslayer dress code. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Leaked books on a French site:

They are being released on the 13th of next month:

So, for me, that confirms that's the date we will see the box in the stores, considering the 29th + 2 weeks preorder time.

General chat > Rumour Thread ^^

• Haha 1