The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I guess it depends on the age of the kids. I have 1 year and a half twins and I couldn't spend as much hobby time as you. Obviously it won't apply to everyone, but I guess you got my point.

Got a 3 year old and a 3 months old, my hobby time almost doesnt exist. Im in camp quicker games for selfish reasons. Or just support for Warcry.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Warhammer fantasy, AoS first edition, 40K 7th edition, Warhammer  AoS today (arguable, but a board game is defined as needing premarked boards, AoS boards and 40K boards are not marked), Horus Heresy, Warhammer epic (the 15mm scale TT).

There's a reason those are simply called Tabletop Games and not Board games.
On the example of WHF (the same goes for AoS & 40K btw)

• Scale and Miniatures:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Involves detailed miniature models representing armies, characters, and terrain. Players often spend significant time assembling and painting these miniatures.
    • Board Games: Typically use pre-made pieces, which are often less detailed and do not require assembly or painting.
  • Gameplay Area:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Played on large, open tabletops with custom-built or modular terrain pieces. The size and layout of the battlefield can be highly variable.
    • Board Games: Played on a predefined board with fixed spaces, which determines the movement and interaction of game pieces.
  • Rules and Complexity:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Features complex rules that govern movement, combat, and other interactions. The rules can be extensive and are often detailed in multiple rulebooks and supplements.
    • Board Games: Generally have simpler, more streamlined rules designed to be understood quickly, even if the game itself is strategic.
  • Measurement and Movement:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Movement and range are measured in inches or centimeters using rulers or measuring tapes. This allows for a high degree of flexibility and realism.
    • Board Games: Movement is typically restricted to a grid or specific paths on the game board.
  • Customization and Strategy:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Players create custom armies from a wide selection of units, each with unique abilities and statistics. Strategy involves not only battlefield tactics but also army composition and pre-game planning.
    • Board Games: Usually offer a limited number of strategies and predefined setups, though some games allow for strategic depth within these confines.
  • Community and Competitive Play:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Has a strong community aspect with organized events, tournaments, and hobby clubs. Competitive play often involves a meta-game, where players adapt to popular strategies and counter-strategies.
    • Board Games: While there are board game communities and tournaments, they are generally less focused on long-term strategic planning and customization outside of the game sessions themselves.

I agree with most of that except the parts about rules complexity and customisation. Boardgames run the gamut on both those things. There are board games with way more complexity and way more options than any wargame I've seen. AoS is a less complex and less customisable version of a wargame than TOW but that doesn't make it any more like a board game than TOW. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I thought the missing list would be:

Stormvermin, Weaponteams, Globadiers, Verminlord and Wolfrats.

SG Warhound also talked about a 3rd engineer variant and new master moulders (whom, btw, have already been "leaked" via artwork from GW itself)

10 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I thought the missing list would be:

Stormvermin, Weaponteams, Globadiers, Verminlord and Wolfrats.

off his list he mention Master Moulder which I'm assuming it going to in a group of wolf rats ala Spawn of chotec

Archwarlock, The already leaked engineer with Volt obliterator & nu-Queek1710514951810634.png.931404bfb87c3e3ee0e221a380a7edb7.png

2 minutes ago, Kronos said:

So this is the behemoth then? 

IMG_9128.jpeg

Yes! One less from the list.

3 minutes ago, Garrac said:

SG Warhound also talked about a 3rd engineer variant and new master moulders (whom, btw, have already been "leaked" via artwork from GW itself)

Roger Master Dong.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

There's a reason those are simply called Tabletop Games and not Board games.
On the example of WHF (the same goes for AoS & 40K btw)

I partly agree in some of this points, but I think that a few ones are not a 100% linked to modern War Games. They can't be called part of the wargaming dna, so, it's just a designer's decision to make their game feel more "old school".

4 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

A face not even a skaven-mother could love!

The big face or the small one?

Edited by Beliman

I think the distinct feeling of being "more boardgamey" actually comes from the rules, which in AoS are all very specific and pretty diverse. Stuff does something against specific other stuff, and this and that.

WHFB had a lot of universal rules that covered things like "this is a Lance, or this is a spear" but didn't really differentiate between units who used them. That created a feeling of believability, like you could see yourself being there, in that moment and time and witness a battle, knowing the rules was akin to knowing the rules of physics of WHFB.

AoS appears to be more boardgamey because the rules are less believable. Be that because they aren't or because some of us don't feel the same connection between them and a perceived reality. The lack of Toughness is a big part of that, for example.

It has *nothing* to do with complexity of gameplay, though.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

So two boxes each, with the new prices, right? Right??

No, they are giving away all the launches from Aug 2024 to Aug 2025, so all the new boxes like this leaked Behemoth or the leaked Warlock. It does not mention two of each anywhere... but 1035 € seems like a lot to me.

Edited by Ejecutor

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

No, they are giving away all the launches from Aug 2024 to Aug 2025, so all the new boxes like this leaked Behemoth or the leaked Warlock. It does not mention two of each anywhere... but 1035 € seems like a lot to me.

I know, that's why I said that the winners would get a total of 2 boxes (1 hero & 1 monster) =D

But seriously, I think the 1035 include the stuff from the starter box which would come out individually on a later date. So it's them & the stuff that comes out after. 

13 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Every model kit Tyranids got last year adds up to 666,75€ currently.
If you include codexes and cards its 740,25€.
If they include two boxes if the contents can be build as two different units it would be 874,25€.
And if they include both the seperate releases and Leviathan/Starter sets it would be around 1250€

Edited by Matrindur

10 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

A face not even a skaven-mother could love!

I quite like it, It’s almost like A Rat Troll Hyrbid. Happy to see more monsters that that aren’t just swole and roided. 

6 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I know, that's why I said that the winners would get a total of 2 boxes (1 hero & 1 monster) =D

But seriously, I think the 1035 include the stuff from the starter box which would come out individually on a later date. So it's them & the stuff that comes out after. 

That would make sense.

5 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

Not sure what they are counting as the "price pool"

Yes the winners can only choose Stormcast OR Skaven but since they won't know what the winners will choose yet the prepared "pool" should be five sets of each side so 1035€ would be Skaven + Stormcast.

So maybe only about 517€ in Skaven models

I see it as both sides being the same price in the end. So it doesn't matter what you pick, they are worth the same.

4 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I see it as both sides being the same price in the end. So it doesn't matter what you pick, they are worth the same.

What I said doesn't add up anyway. I edited my post and added up the Tyranid releases and depending on what they include its 666€ to 1250€ on their own so rats could easily be 1000€ on their own too

18 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

What I said doesn't add up anyway. I edited my post and added up the Tyranid releases and depending on what they include its 666€ to 1250€ on their own so rats could easily be 1000€ on their own too

That would be a good excuse to start a Skaven army 🤣

Edited by Beliman

46 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I agree with most of that except the parts about rules complexity and customisation. Boardgames run the gamut on both those things. There are board games with way more complexity and way more options than any wargame I've seen. AoS is a less complex and less customisable version of a wargame than TOW but that doesn't make it any more like a board game than TOW. 

Whatever the merits of noting changes to game design in AoS, a lot of the discussion seems to boil down to the idea that “WHFB is the ur-wargame. Any deviation from WHFB makes something less of a wargame”, which imo is such a myopic and narrowly GW-centric view.

• Like 8