The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Nezzhil said:

Yeah, removing one of the biggest armies (Daemons) with a lot of people with that army.

My point is that splitting armies affect other armies meanwhile books exists. I prefer to have a big book with two armies that exists from years, than split in two without any prove that implies anything more than "an ego sensation", because the time to have two small books is time that is not invested in something more important.

Eh I think Kruleboyz was always meant to be its own army and a new destruction army, they just got slap in temporary in Warclanz book until Ironjawz got their second wave and BSZ was removed. Like both are now full size armies by themselves.

daemon of chaos removal is still not confirm as even Valrek doesn’t believe the rumor because it will leave Be’lekor homeless since they didn’t put him in the CSM codex either.

• Like 7

Just now, Rachmani said:

If it‘s just the charge you’re worried about, you can always just choose a single unit instead of two to three.

The double 6 charge needs 2 Temptation dice, you can’t use it if you only get one.

Yeah I suspect this is what the ability will default to, which is a bit bland perhaps... i.e. just effectively give one unit per round run& charge + exploding...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

If it‘s just the charge you’re worried about, you can always just choose a single unit instead of two to three.

The double 6 charge needs 2 Temptation dice, you can’t use it if you only get one.

#bigbrainmove

This implies a level of restraint that this Slaanesh player can seldom muster. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, novakai said:

Eh I think Kruleboyz was always meant to be its own army and a new destruction army, they just got slap in temporary in Warclanz book until Ironjawz got their second wave and BSZ was removed. Like both are now full size armies by themselves.

daemon of chaos removal is still not confirm as even Valrek doesn’t believe the rumor because it will leave Be’lekor homeless since they didn’t put him in the CSM codex either.

Even if daemons won't be removed we still have 3 small armies being mixed together. So my argument is still valid, you only have 30 months to release content (removing the first 3 and the last 3 months of each edition). You are limited in time even in the best scenario to that number.

I'm curious how willing gw will be to change these rules in a faq. There will be physical cards but I do feel like something like this may need a change. Make it guaranteed mortal wounds and a 4 instead of a 6 and you have a decent ability. I was just listening to Vince over on Warhammer weekly and he absolutely hates this ability is it is currently.  He thinks the free 6's will cost Slaanesh players games if they give away all three. 

6 minutes ago, novakai said:

Nothing a good free supplement cannot fix.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Warhammer fantasy, AoS first edition, 40K 7th edition, Warhammer  AoS today (arguable, but a board game is defined as needing premarked boards, AoS boards and 40K boards are not marked), Horus Heresy, Warhammer epic (the 15mm scale TT).

There's a reason those are simply called Tabletop Games and not Board games.
On the example of WHF (the same goes for AoS & 40K btw)

• Scale and Miniatures:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Involves detailed miniature models representing armies, characters, and terrain. Players often spend significant time assembling and painting these miniatures.
    • Board Games: Typically use pre-made pieces, which are often less detailed and do not require assembly or painting.
  • Gameplay Area:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Played on large, open tabletops with custom-built or modular terrain pieces. The size and layout of the battlefield can be highly variable.
    • Board Games: Played on a predefined board with fixed spaces, which determines the movement and interaction of game pieces.
  • Rules and Complexity:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Features complex rules that govern movement, combat, and other interactions. The rules can be extensive and are often detailed in multiple rulebooks and supplements.
    • Board Games: Generally have simpler, more streamlined rules designed to be understood quickly, even if the game itself is strategic.
  • Measurement and Movement:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Movement and range are measured in inches or centimeters using rulers or measuring tapes. This allows for a high degree of flexibility and realism.
    • Board Games: Movement is typically restricted to a grid or specific paths on the game board.
  • Customization and Strategy:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Players create custom armies from a wide selection of units, each with unique abilities and statistics. Strategy involves not only battlefield tactics but also army composition and pre-game planning.
    • Board Games: Usually offer a limited number of strategies and predefined setups, though some games allow for strategic depth within these confines.
  • Community and Competitive Play:

• Warhammer Fantasy: Has a strong community aspect with organized events, tournaments, and hobby clubs. Competitive play often involves a meta-game, where players adapt to popular strategies and counter-strategies.
    • Board Games: While there are board game communities and tournaments, they are generally less focused on long-term strategic planning and customization outside of the game sessions themselves.

The fact some boardgames like Kingdom Death exist litterally counters every of your arguments you made here. And yes, Kingdom Death is labelled a boardgame. A very expensive, niche one, with plenty of awesomely made miniatures and crazy supplements. ;)

Besides, some people call tabletop miniature wargames "board wargames". It's not a hazard, because the definition of a board in a boardgame actually doesn't specify anything. It can be unmarked, marked, big or small.

That's why I was talking more about the opposition between focusing on gameplay vs focusing on story. Complexity of rules, how they interact with the board, replayability, time spent outside the board to play, competitive scene and "long term strategy", quality/scale of miniatures : all of that have actually nothing to do with what defines a boardgame. You're just putting your personnal views on what you see as a boardgame here (and clearly see wargames are superior in comparison, if I may say so).

Thing is, we are so drowned in boardgames nowadays that litterally anything can be found in that huge category. We are far from the simplistic view you're depicting here.

IMHO, board wargames / tabletop miniature wargames are boardgames that focus on war simulation. But it certainly looks like they're "better" when you name them differently, and I think that's the real point of trying to make them distinct from boardgames - even if it's artificial and doesn't really matter, from my point of view.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Even if daemons won't be removed we still have 3 small armies being mixed together. So my argument is still valid, you only have 30 months to release content (removing the first 3 and the last 3 months of each edition). You are limited in time even in the best scenario to that number.

It lets be fair it at best 1 and 1/2 armies, it be more of a Grey knight expansion as Agent where never an army to begin with and Death watch has no unique models outside of one hero 

Edited by novakai

1 hour ago, cyrus said:

So it is so

1)Master moulder
2)Arch Warlock  

3) New  warlock (Galvaneer with warpvolt obliterators) (Leaked one)
4) Stormvermin
5) Weaponteams
6)Skyre acolytes (former globadiers)
7)New verminlord  (Avatar of horned rat ???) 
8 )  New Behemoth (Moulder monstrosity)
9)Wolfrats

Come on Ladz : Orruks warclans are gone ! Welcome to Ironjawz and Kruleboyz in separate books !

Your forgetting about nu-queek with stormvermin bodyguards 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Honestly the prospect of giving your opponent an auto-charge 12 inches is what really makes me scratch my head. Honestly, you could argue that "once per turn you can auto charge 12 inches" would legitimately be one of the best army abilities in the entire game. 

Yeah. Plus, something that's not been bought up by anyone yet: the ability is done at the start of the battle round. If you're playing second that round, it can be very easy for your opponent to just target the up to three EUPHORIC units you've chosen, and destroy them or simply tie them up with a charge.

14 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

#bigbrainmove

Yay! Only one of my units gains the benefits of my army traits each round (whatever the game size BTW!)

Oh, and also at least one of the lvl6 spells is a mere side-grade to euphoric killers, so only one unit benefits from the battletrait _and_ spell. If its not been destroyed before it had a chance to play that is...

Oh, BTW, is the glaive profile fairly standard? It looks comically weak for an elite unit using two-handed weapons, but I've not really been keeping up with the spearhead rules

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

Oh, BTW, is the glaive profile fairly standard? It looks comically weak for an elite unit using two-handed weapons, but I've not really been keeping up with the spearhead rules

Given that Slickblades in 3E have +1 attack against units with a health of three or less I can see them having ANTI-INFANTRY in the full game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

Yeah. Plus, something that's not been bought up by anyone yet: the ability is done at the start of the battle round. If you're playing second that round, it can be very easy for your opponent to just target the up to three EUPHORIC units you've chosen, and destroy them or simply tie them up with a charge.

Yay! Only one of my units gains the benefits of my army traits each round (whatever the game size BTW!)

Oh, and also at least one of the lvl6 spells is a mere side-grade to euphoric killers, so only one unit benefits from the battletrait _and_ spell. If its not been destroyed before it had a chance to play that is...

Hey, I neither wrote the rule nor did I advocate for it to be particularly good. In fact, I thought the # at the end made that clear.

But I get that you're not happy with it.

1 hour ago, ScionOfOssia said:

And in exchange your opponent gets to replace a roll with a 6, or guarantee a charge and you get a frankly fairly mediocre buff. 

Run & charge with exploding sixes attached is a mediocre buff? Are we talking the same game here?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

Hey, I neither wrote the rule nor did I advocate for it to be particularly good. In fact, I thought the # at the end made that clear.

But I get that you're not happy with it.

Yeah, sorry I meant to be adding to your point - happy i understood the hashtag was sarcastic, just didn't express myself as well as you

6 minutes ago, Flippy said:

Run & charge with exploding sixes attached is a mediocre buff? Are we talking the same game here?

* on up to three units, at the cost of giving the opponent very large buffs as well.

Of course, this will also largely depend on if its possible to hand out the EUPHORIC keyword in other circumstances

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

Eldars and Harlequins.
Agents of Imperium + Grey Knights + Deathwatch?
4 Gods legions + Daemons (this book seems could dissapear with recent rumours).

Two books implies that other factions will be mixed or not be splitted instead that. I just don't want two orruk books, I prefer something new AND the orruk book.

It is always the same discussion, the number of battletomes have a limit because only one thing is true, the time is not infinite and the deadline is always the same: two years and a half of releases and then a new edition comes.

Same reasons, same results. 

Harlequins are hard to paint, fiddle minis that only fared well in a limited, ultra competitive setting, because for a time they where op as hell. 

But they probably didn't sell well enough to justify the investment of a new codex or new wave. Hence their fusion. 

In fact, they probably shouldn't even have leaved the Aeldari Codex in the first place. 

But it seems like Kruleboyz and Ironjaws are another story : they probably sell well enough to justify a battletome each. 

And the simple fact that the indexes are split should be a good enough argument for this. 

Why would GW even bother to split them for like some month before reuniting them? 

With the reasonings I saw here and there, they could have done the same with let's say GSG. But they did not. Because they are meant to stay as a whole. 

And Orruks aren't. 

Edited by Swamp Trogg
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Does anyone know where that Skaven image is from? Surely it's not from a battletome?!!? Are the floodgates about to open or is this from something random?

Why it wouldn't be from a Battletome? It is not that crazy, we know their BT will be out in 3 months or so.

I like that the Fiends' Deadly Pincers and Barbed Tail have the 'Companion' ability, it's sweet that it considers its hands and tail its friends. 

Can't remember where on the warcom site it mentions what companions does, but IIRC it's excludes them from being affected by fun things.

RE Beast and a max control score of 1, is that each model has a max of 1 each, so a unit of 3 has a total score of 3 which can never be buffed, or is it literally a unit of 3 has a control score of 1. Because I'm not sure how many people were thinking of using fiends to hold objectives, and they often use 'unit' to describe 1 model as they do a collection of models.

Twinsouls look good though, 5+ ward and -1 to an opponent's attack is pretty cool.

Edited by Starfyre
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flippy said:

When you are giving your opponent auto 12" charge and the ability to auto-pass important rolls? Kinda, especially when armies like Ossiarch literally get exploding 6s on almost all their weapons - in addition to all their army traits.

If the ability to hand this out existed without the downside it would be strong, the problem that makes it mediocre is that in a lot of ways what you give away is stronger than the buff itself.

• Like 4