The Rumour Thread

Just now, CommissarRotke said:

Why is everyone suddenly saying Skaven are low popularity? They're like a landmark of Warhammer. Everyone went nuts when they came with Total Warhammer 2.

as a Reptile Kid this definitely feels more like a snake.

I think people over exaggerating their  popularity more likely, at least when they say most popular army and using very skewed metrics to say they are.

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

I think the struggles with Skaventide have been exaggerated. We've become so used to GW failing to meet demand that we see not selling out immediately as a failure. When Lego releases a huge expensive set like the millennium falcon or the rivendell set, does it sell out in the pre-order window? Do massively popular video games like call of duty run out of stock week one? Even other game companies like malifaux or marvel crisis protocol or shatter point. Did any of them sell out in the preorder window? 

GW has finally made enough to meet demand. 

There have been quite a few posts saying 'my local store owner was being pressured to order more stock', but I haven't seen a single comment from any store saying that they are struggling to sell. Ministomp is a well known store owner who is active on twitter. He's pretty up front about problems with gw. He was pretty unhappy about the stick issues with the recent kill team box. He said he was pretty happy with his first week sales of Skaventide. I think he ordered something like 900 copies and had about 300 left after the first weekend. 

To give a couple of  specific examples. Alchemist games got 400 copies of Skaventide tide. When I checked their stock level last Thursday, they had about 260 copies left. When I checked today, they were down to 167. If they keep up that rate of sales, they'll be sold out in a couple of weeks. Another company gap games had 65 copies left when I checked last week. Today they are down to 16. 

Here in Japan, the Japanese version of the the game sold out in two days. The Japanese version of Dominion never sold out. 

There was a link posted to an Italian retailer that was offering a 30% discount, but that deal is no longer available. I haven't seen any other retailers doing panicky price cuts on their stock yet which suggests that like alchemist games and gap games, they are steadily selling through their inventory. 

I have no horse in this race, but I wanted to say thank you for providing cited examples as evidence. So much internet dialogue is "trust me bro I just know it". No one wants to do any research--just reading headlines is easier.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Never thought about that, I wonder if Tau sell better in Japan? They certainly have that mech suit vibe. They're the least played faction here in our local meta (Maine, USA) but then again I have no idea how well they do across the rest of the USA or world. 

Like all the older core 40K armies (any full army that was feature in Dawn of War 1)  they have their players and fandom. Though it by how much more bigger the 40K population is that each army garner their own community and discord.

8 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I don't know about the lore, but what I'd like to see in a Slaanesh warband is something that pushes the 'carnival' theme to the fore. Ruffs, Venetian-style masks, outrageous costumes. A S&M circus! C'mon, it'd be brilliant. 

Concept art leak for the Lord of Pain leading that warband:

voldoarts2.jpg

Source:

It was revealed to me in a dream.

• Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Definitely leaning hard into Dino-vibes with the new rumor engine. The back spikes running the length of the tail don’t seem serpentine to me. At first I thought they were gems, but it looks like the spikes run the whole length of the tail, and the gem-like ones are just an overhead view of them providing a gem-like appearance. Based on them being angular, I’m saying Seraphon.

Why the feculant gnarlmaw do slaves have access to gaunt summoners when we can't even field sorcerer lords or warriors? This is the worst edition already now. Skaventide order cancelled.

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Concept art leak for the Lord of Pain leading that warband:

voldoarts2.jpg

Source:

It was revealed to me in a dream.

Voldo's always been a prime candidate for Slaanesh. 

7 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Why the feculant gnarlmaw do slaves have access to gaunt summoners when we can't even field sorcerer lords or warriors? This is the worst edition already now. Skaventide order cancelled.

Reminder that Gaunt Summoners were literally introduced to be the wizards for the Varanguard. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MitGas said:

My army is StD, so I am very happy with the warscrolls, Although it does seem that StD can everything what the other Chaos factions can, but better.

Edit: Except shooting, but Darkoath will maybe in the far future get bow armed troops. 

Edited by Tonhel

42 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Why is everyone suddenly saying Skaven are low popularity? They're like a landmark of Warhammer. Everyone went nuts when they came with Total Warhammer 2

They were like a landmark of Warhammer fantasy battle but not of AoS : they have been very little supported in AoS with a couple of compulsory heroes + endless spells + terrain factions.

Fantasy players have probably tons of clan rats from island of blood when people bought launch set in 2x/3x/4x copies

For the information that we have Skaventide have been printed in 2/3 of copies of Dominion and it is still not sold out.

Leviathan sold out in 24 hrs.

on 27th of July new starter sets are going on preorder so if it will not sold out for that date , they are going to retire it from web store as it happened with Dominion.

3 hours ago, Snarff said:

I think it's only Spikey Bits reporting that Skaventide supposedly failed, with some completely anecdotal evidence and extrapolated conclusions. They've never been a reliable source. It reads like they just desperately want AoS to fail for some reason.

Spikey Bits is the Info Wars of Warhammer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

31 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Reminder that Gaunt Summoners were literally introduced to be the wizards for the Varanguard. 

Uhm, no, not from a lore perspective. People used them with Varanguard cause they could keep up.

19 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

My army is StD, so I am very happy with the warscrolls, Although it does seem that StD can everything what the other Chaos factions can, but better.

Edit: Except shooting, but Darkoath will maybe in the far future get bow armed troops. 

Yeah, I'd be happy as a StD player as well. I got enough minis to field a full army of StD but I don't want to. I wanted proper Tzeentch and GW failed once again, cutting away a gigantic portion of "our" stuff and giving us nothing in return. They'll see not a single cent from me until they make it right. The person responsible needs to be fired, we've got enough untalented game designers as is.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Uhm, no, not from a lore perspective. People used them with Varanguard cause they could keep up.

The Everchosen army book consisted of Archaon, Gaunt Summoners and Varanguard. The Gaunt Summoners were supposed to be Archaon's personal wizards just like the Varanguard are Archaon's elite guard. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MitGas said:

You sure? Because from what I remember, Gaunt Summoners were on Archaon's leash from day 1. Heck, they were literally 1/3 of the original Everchosen battletome that was later expanded to Slaves to Darkness...

Edited by Mortal Wound

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

Those raised round scales feel more crocodilian to me.

Ahh I missed that they become a ridge!! Are there any crocodilians that stand out as slender/snake-like? @DinoJon? I'm blanking on any aside from the gharial, which imho would need a better snout to fit into Warhammer.

14 minutes ago, Mortal Wound said:

You sure? Because from what I remember, Gaunt Summoners were on Archaon's leash from day 1. Heck, they were literally 1/3 of the original Everchosen battletome that was later expanded to Slaves to Darkness...

Archaon subjugated them - seemingly - but they didn‘t truly serve him. That‘s why he took one of their senses each IIRC as punishment - but you do have a point, I‘d just say that if units can‘t be allied in now, GSs should be Tzeentch-exclusive, he’s their one true master after all. But all that was written before Silver Tower and as (teleporting) masters of silver towers, it‘s strange to think that he even got ahold of them. Anyways, StD has more than enough unlike Tzeentch now. 

I hope Chaos dragons will be Tzeentch-exclusive now. Non-Tzeentchians don’t deserve Fateclaw‘s magnificent creation anyways. I might sound like a fundamentalist but that‘s just because I am! 👍

I‘m also super-angry and I‘d die in combat, so I‘d be turned into a daemon prince by Khorne for my failure but not even that‘s in the cards cause DPs are exclusive to Slaves now! I can literally throw thousands(!) of points and a ton of minis outta the window. 10 Chosen, 20 Warriors, 10 knights, Mutalith, Mindstealer, Sorc Lord on manticore and so on and on. That‘s hella lame. I can‘t play StD as I don‘t want just simple brutes with scrappy armor and holes in their cloaks. If I wanted that, I‘d collect Nurgle. GW definitely ruined my kind of army with this. 👎

29 minutes ago, Mortal Wound said:

See above post. Long story short: Tzeentch allowed Archaon to learn their names to bind them seemingly. They are spies more or less and do whatever they want more or less, like 9 Homelanders. I‘d say that qualifies them to be Tzeentch-exclusives. If we can‘t have slaves, Slaves shouldn‘t get Tzeentch heroes! 

52 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, I'd be happy as a StD player as well. I got enough minis to field a full army of StD but I don't want to. I wanted proper Tzeentch and GW failed once again, cutting away a gigantic portion of "our" stuff and giving us nothing in return. They'll see not a single cent from me until they make it right. The person responsible needs to be fired, we've got enough untalented game designers as is.

The mark of Tzeentch is not so great in StD in comparison with the same mark in TOW WoC. For StD I am going for a mix of nurgle/undivided and Khorne for my StD.

For WoC it's Tzeentch all the way. A powerful sorcerer lord who is also terrifying in Close combat as it should be.

• LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

The mark of Tzeentch is not so great in StD in comparison with the same mark in TOW WoC. For StD I am going for a mix of nurgle/undivided and Khorne for my StD.

For WoC it's Tzeentch all the way. A powerful sorcerer lord who is also terrifying in Close combat as it should be.

You're a good one, Tonhel. ❤️ That's indeed what peak Tzeentchians should be like! 

Yeah, MoT always left quite a bit to be desired in AoS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyrus said:

Fantasy players have probably tons of clan rats from island of blood when people bought launch set in 2x/3x/4x copies

Island of Blood was released on 2010 and discontinued as Spire of Dawn in 2017. I would hazard a guess that 7 years later it is not impacting sales of Skaventide anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Non-Slaanesh observers might point out that the Hedonites faction isn't exactly short of hero models... 

But true Slaanesh devotees, like me, say "more, more, more! No such thing as enough models!!" 

True, I think the main niche we're missing is a mounted mortal hero. Would be nice to get a more femme character too

9 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I don't know about the lore, but what I'd like to see in a Slaanesh warband is something that pushes the 'carnival' theme to the fore. Ruffs, Venetian-style masks, outrageous costumes. A S&M circus! C'mon, it'd be brilliant. 

Oh man, that sounds awesome! Perhaps tied to the Masque of Slaanesh, like how the khorne band was tied to Karanak?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Island of Blood was released on 2010 and discontinued as Spire of Dawn in 2017. I would hazard a guess that 7 years later it is not impacting sales of Skaventide anymore.

I don't know. I have still those clanrats and one box of clanrats and the metal sling upgrade kit. I wish I still had the high elves from that set.

The new clanrats are amazing, but in the big picture of a Skaven army there is zero reason to replace your clanrats with the 40 new ones. The difference is only noticeable from painting distance.

The box should have had 20 stormvermin and 20 clanrats.

About the box selling good or not. Perception wise you would think it isn't selling great, but this is common with lots of AoS boxes (I.e Darkoath armybox still available). But in the meantime GW is doing better each financial year. So they are certainly making a lot of profit with AoS.

It's a relief that you have time to buy the box, hopefully this will be the future for Kill Team and TOW too. I am going to be really frustrated if the dwarfs Arcane Journal and new mini's are sold out before I can buy mine.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I would say the opposite. If you want clanrats you can buy them much much cheaper on ebay thanks to those boxes. 

• Like 2