The Rumour Thread

Prices of the week!

I tend to collect the Getting Started with AoS magazine, but 15 € is starting to hurt. The first edition one was 5€, the one from the 2nd edition was 6,50 € and the 3rd edition one was 12 €.

1.jpg.04951d2fb71cf07348ac5433066b5337.jpg

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Prices of the week!

I tend to collect the Getting Started with AoS magazine, but 15 € is starting to hurt. The first edition one was 5€, the one from the 2nd edition was 6,50 € and the 3rd edition one was 12 €.

1.jpg.04951d2fb71cf07348ac5433066b5337.jpg

€51,25 is a strange price for the warcry warbands. Typically we get full numbers or 50 cents for those boxes. 

45 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

I am more worried about Underworlds. No rumours or news and the season only has the core box

Youtubers such as Rob THW and Vince Venturella rumored about the end of Underworlds with a closing final 😒

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Youtubers such as Rob THW and Vince Venturella rumored about the end of Underworlds with a closing final 😒

I had the hope that they would update the last 12 warbands without proper decks but I doubt that right now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cyrus said:

With hindsight, Legend's UW warbands foreshadowed its possible demise... Sad for one of the best GW games of the last 10 years.

Covid will have done it a lot of harm. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I've had my fun with Underworlds and it's been a weird ride product-wise. I'm not bent out of shape about the possibility.
It's pretty rare to see games organised for a while now around here, so I'm probably going to just move mine on before the blade falls (except for proxies for my armies).

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi

My club was mainly playing UW from its release until covid, with monthly tournaments and a big community. It is true that the pandemic hit it had, but from my point of view GW never knew how (or were able) to manage a LCG game.

• Like 2

I'm still not convinced underworlds is going away. The Japanese version of Winter maw sold out in less than an hour and any time I go into a store here it's always the game I see being played. Looking on Amazon or eBay there aren't many sealed copies of the old games around. The ones that are there are being sold for more than retail price. Of course gw may have reduced the amount they're making but there aren't any Dominion like signs of unsold product lying around. I've been trying to buy the Eshin warband for ages but it's always out of stock everywhere. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Frodorowski said:

My club was mainly playing UW from its release until covid, with monthly tournaments and a big community. It is true that the pandemic hit it had, but from my point of view GW never knew how (or were able) to manage a LCG game.

My personal biggest barrier to entry for the game is that I found it hard to figure out what cards/warbands were still being supported and the fact that I could not buy some essential cards separately.

When I first heard of Underworlds I though it would basically just be the commander format of Magic: The Gathering, with the warbands being the commanders. I don't know if it maybe really was that during Shadespire, but it seemed like the game very rapidly became a lot more restrictive in terms of deck building.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frodorowski said:

from my point of view GW never knew how (or were able) to manage a LCG game.

True, it was definitely experimental for them. I hope they've learned some great lessons they can apply to future lines if they do put this one to rest.

5 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I'm still not convinced underworlds is going away

Yeah it's a weird one... it's always a dunking target for the GW community but it's had a more or less healthy product run. But I still view it as a sandbox for them and I'm not sure how dedicated they are considering the quality difference in the cardstock etc. after the rebackings. It's a weird one.

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

My personal biggest barrier to entry for the game is that I found it hard to figure out what cards/warbands were still being supported and the fact that I could not buy some essential cards separately.

This is one of it's biggest pain points for sure.

11 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I'm still not convinced underworlds is going away. The Japanese version of Winter maw sold out in less than an hour and any time I go into a store here it's always the game I see being played. Looking on Amazon or eBay there aren't many sealed copies of the old games around. The ones that are there are being sold for more than retail price. Of course gw may have reduced the amount they're making but there aren't any Dominion like signs of unsold product lying around. I've been trying to buy the Eshin warband for ages but it's always out of stock everywhere. 

I think it is just being revised and probably will change its direction rather than being removed. Moving all its minis into Legends will be a big hit in the sales, IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

True, it was definitely experimental for them. I hope they've learned some great lessons they can apply to future lines if they do put this one to rest.

Yeah it's a weird one... it's always a dunking target for the GW community but it's had a more or less healthy product run. But I still view it as a sandbox for them and I'm not sure how dedicated they are considering the quality difference in the cardstock etc. after the rebackings. It's a weird one.

This is one of it's biggest pain points for sure.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the playing field to what we currently have in terms of cards with Spearhead, for example.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Moving all its minis into Legends will be a big hit in the sales, IMO.

That's a weird one too... I agree but I don't know how strongly... usually their rules as a unit are pretty meh, but the sculpts are amazing so they're great for proxies/conversions - and thus legends warscrolls won't stop people buying them for proxies, so I'm not sure what I think lol.

5 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I really like this armour. I hope, if they reimagine the CoS Duardin they‘ll get such an armour for an entire unit.

IMG_0908.jpeg

I think the same. I was considering purchasing it for some fun CoS conversion, but I am afraid that Duardins won't have such a closer look to the ToW ones.

• Like 1

Just now, Ejecutor said:

I think the same. I was considering purchasing it for some fun CoS conversion, but I am afraid that Duardins won't have such a closer look to the ToW ones.

I am already contemplating if I could sculpt a 3D bit for ironbreakers that‘d work 🤔

2 minutes ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

That's a weird one too... I agree but I don't know how strongly... usually their rules as a unit are pretty meh, but the sculpts are amazing so they're great for proxies/conversions - and thus legends warscrolls won't stop people buying them for proxies, so I'm not sure what I think lol.

I have doubts about that as well. Anecdotical, it seemed to me that most people were mainly interested in underworlds/other projects first, and AoS second, if any.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Draznak said:

Covid will have done it a lot of harm. 

Definitely what did it in my neck of the woods. It was steadily growing in popularity with Beastgrave and the future looked bright.

By the time Covid lockdowns were over and stores/clubs began doing gaming again, all anybody wanted to play was the new edition of 40k. Inevitably all the gains Underworld had made in the years prior evaporated because of the "dead game" perception everything except 40k/AoS at the time had.

It was also during/after Covid that GW got too excited with the presumably strong sales figures and began pricing it higher and higher. Arguably Underworld's biggest strength in growth was how cheap it was to get into. People didn't mind paying £15 for cards when you got a bunch of models with it. The recent Rival Deck packs with just cards are actually more than what a full warband + deck were when Shadespire released (for some AoS Hero-models it was cheaper to buy a full UW warband with an alternate sculpt than the dedicated AoS model). The starters being in the £25-£35 range was about right for people to 'risk' taking the plunge if they had a local scene, rather than the eternal worry that anything which isn't 40k/AoS is just wasted money and models gathering dust. 

Kill Team '21 then went on to steal all of the "competitive skirmish game" thunder, both in terms of players and influencers (the much stronger integration of kits between 40k and KT compared to how AoS/Warcry/Underworlds handles it helped a lot too). People looking for something more casually were also in KT'21 or Warcry (though I've never seen that played in person around my end).

The soft-relaunch with the emphasis on Rivals decks seemed like it was doing well initially, but I think the problem is that poisonous 'dead game' perception which has been holding it back since Direchasm. Everyone's been talking about Underworlds being on the way out for so many years now that it's probably going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy at some point.

On the other hand, the actual Warbands seem to sell really well (painting youtubers love them and the more popular ones go in and out of stock somewhat regularly). So maybe I'm just talking rubbish and GW will be perfectly content not rocking the boat, however it's the deafening silence since Wintermaw (March) which has me worried. 

It's a pity because I really, really like Underworlds.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

...snip...

Yeah, the ease of entry and pricing at the start had me buying every release so I had a complete set for mates when they came around for some tabletop, or for games at the store - but with their price hike initially, the new season split up system with two boxes, then the reback/re-release/re-work of the card system with extra cards to buy ontop again, I just stopped (hence the amount in sig).
The card update fixed some competitive issues for sure, but it didn't help bring new casual (or curious) players to the table.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I am already contemplating if I could sculpt a 3D bit for ironbreakers that‘d work 🤔

There was a guy over reddit who was designing duardins with the new CoS aesthetic and was supposed to put them over MMF, this was his profile: Black Sails Studio @Black Sails Studio - MyMiniFactory>

I cannot find the original post, but the aesthetic was a bit different but still pretty sweet.

EDIT: Here it is! 

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 3

8 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

On the other hand, the actual Warbands seem to sell really well (painting youtubers love them and the more popular ones go in and out of stock somewhat regularly). So maybe I'm just talking rubbish and GW will be perfectly content not rocking the boat, however it's the deafening silence since Wintermaw (March) which has me worried. 

There has been deafening silence from GW on a lot of things to be honest. There were the adepticon march previews (which included New AOS, final dawnbringers, Wintermaw and the about to be released Briar and Bone), and the may previews that were 40k focussed with the main new things being plastic Mechanicum (which aren't out yet), and Hive Secundus (also recent). 

AOS 4 just ate a lot marketing budget it seems. 

• Like 1