The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

With all the squatting of Warcry and underworlds I am just always prepping for worst case scenarios. 😒

I think this time it is a safe bet. It is implied in its name, it is one of the newer warbands and it won't bloat a BT, it will help a tiny BT to grow.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

honestly i find this interesting then the gitmob IMPO (most because we have rumor mongers and even the core rulebook stating Gitmobs)

Maybe we'll get both Cogfort & a redesign Steam tank down the future. Maybe have the Cogfort being so big that it will be a sort of Faction terrain while there just a smaller nu-tank for CoS that more "Ironweld"-ized

image.jpeg.e3d18963a7c10700662f21dc52a367eb.jpegMETAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY INTERVIEW | MEGASHOCK

the Imperial guard currently has 11 tank variants & the scout sentinel then why can't CoS own get at least two types?

the mention of Gyrocopter is kind of bittersweet as it just more fuel to the dispossessed acknowledge in lore like the Core rulebook does (pic below) &  the Realm of Metal loremaster video does as well but reframing with it being "Culture pass down to beardling who haven't known life outside the city"

r/ageofsigmar - Non-humans mentions in Core rule book

r/ageofsigmar - Non-humans mentions in Core rule book

If IRC the gyrocopter mention was part of a section about Hallowheart and how KO, Gyrocopters and other flying stuff help them to maintain safe their skies.

• Like 3

I have been crossing my fingers that any future AoS chaos dwarfs are more than just straight transfers of the whfb designs anyway, so the 'clockwork' tease is the first I've been remotely interested in the possibility of them showing up in the mortal realms.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

They will very likely try to reinvent the wheel so none of the million STLs ripoffs can work for this new army.

If this is what GW hopes to achieve than I don't think it will work. A day after GW previews a CD there will be STLs buyable that will look very closely to the previewed mini. There are loads of look a likes for Space Marines.

I.e this STL set I bough from Cults a couple of weeks ago. Perfect for World Eaters. It's not 100% the same, but very close.

They can try to re-invent the wheel as much as they want, but if it is a product people want, you can be certain that look a like STLs will be sold, even when GW re-invents the whole CD aesthetic. GW their strength is their plastic kits. If they make a good plastic range of CD, the majority of people will buy it.

There is no need to drastically change the CD aesthetics just to to try to fend of STLs.

image.png.80f49fc7306e43e53e6f9a29179ed114.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

BTW, THWG mentioned on stream the other day that he'd been told new chaos dwarves had a 'clockwork' vibe. Nothing more specific, but interesting nugget

What if they corrupted Golemkin references in 3e?
They wear locking for a power source Hashut might answered
Giving Grungni the finger in the process

Edited by Fellman
  • LOVE IT! 1

The chaos Duardin are such a niche product that were never particularly popular. The war machines were kind of cool but nothing else in the range was  remotely interesting. It not remotely surprising that GW would be looking to do something new with them. A clockpunk aesthetic might be interesting. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The chaos Duardin are such a niche product that were never particularly popular. The war machines were kind of cool but nothing else in the range was  remotely interesting. It not remotely surprising that GW would be looking to do something new with them. A clockpunk aesthetic might be interesting. 

We don't know that. There was never a plastic range be it either in the old big hat aesthetic or the newer Warhammer Forge aesthetic (but that was a complete resin army, very expensive and not the best material for making a big army (imo)).

Anyway Lost Kingdom Miniatures received a C&D from GW a couple of months ago for a couple of their infernal dwarves mini's. These have a very Babylonesque feeling.

the-anzu-cannon.jpg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I mean the Chaos Dwarf trailer for Total Warhammer III got 2.5 million views. That sounds to me like there's very much people interested in them. 

Honestly I don't think its worth too much to bother to think about what this "clockwork" aesthetic entails. The source who said it could've been just making things up or misinterpreting something. I mean, remember when leakers called the Idoneth Deepkin "cthulhu elves?" And if people think they're gonna abandon the whole dieselpunk element of the Chorfs, their teaser in the 4.0 corebook explicitly mentions smoke and oil slicks. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

If this is what GW hopes to achieve than I don't think it will work. A day after GW previews a CD there will be STLs buyable that will look very closely to the previewed mini. There are loads of look a likes for Space Marines.

I.e this STL set I bough from Cults a couple of weeks ago. Perfect for World Eaters. It's not 100% the same, but very close.

They can try to re-invent the wheel as much as they want, but if it is a product people want, you can be certain that look a like STLs will be sold, even when GW re-invents the whole CD aesthetic. GW their strength is their plastic kits. If they make a good plastic range of CD, the majority of people will buy it.

There is no need to drastically change the CD aesthetics just to to try to fend of STLs.

image.png.80f49fc7306e43e53e6f9a29179ed114.png

Very good and important point IMO - GW doesn‘t need to reinvent the wheel - those that only buy third party stuff will not buy official ones anyways, and all others happily buy GW‘s models even if they get some additional cool 3d prints. Just needs to look decent. But I think being part of this hobby has hammered the idea that official = almost always the best anyways. 

Plus most 3d prints don‘t get the overall look right to blend seamlessly into the official stuff. Which I find kinda baffling as it‘s pretty easy to perfectly scan GW models now if you borrow an ipad and then you‘d have the exact proportions to do your own stuff. 🤔

Those Berzerkers look extremely close however! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucentia said:

I have been crossing my fingers that any future AoS chaos dwarfs are more than just straight transfers of the whfb designs anyway, so the 'clockwork' tease is the first I've been remotely interested in the possibility of them showing up in the mortal realms.

I am hoping the same, both because I am not that much a fan of the original Chorf aesthetic, and because I always love the more original and creative AoS stuff, when designers get free reign with their creativity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

I mean the Chaos Dwarf trailer for Total Warhammer III got 2.5 million views. That sounds to me like there's very much people interested in them. 

I don't feel like interest in TWW means much for GW sales. There's a huge difference between loading up a new campaign in a video game, and actually buying, building, painting and then playing a tabletop army, and I don't think many TWW will actually make that leap.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Plus most 3d prints don‘t get the overall look right to blend seamlessly into the official stuff. Which I find kinda baffling as it‘s pretty easy to perfectly scan GW models now if you borrow an ipad and then you‘d have the exact proportions to do your own stuff. 

I think it's mostly to protect themselves from GW's lawyers. If they actually fit the aesthetic of GW stuff perfectly, they'd have no leg to stand on if GW came after them.

As long as they're a little different aesthetically, GW are taking a gamble if they do send a cease and desist. It's a fake they'd likely win, because most 3d sculptors aren't going to go to court with a big corporation and will therefore simply comply. But it's also a gamble they can't afford to risk losing, because if they do they open the flood gates.

So there's a kinda dance going on: as long as you're not inviting copying GW's aesthetic, and aren't becoming too successful, you'll probably get away with it. If you do copy they're aesthetic, or start to become a serious business as opposed to just some dude with a myminifactory page, GW will come after you.

1 minute ago, JerekKruger said:

I think it's mostly to protect themselves from GW's lawyers. If they actually fit the aesthetic of GW stuff perfectly, they'd have no leg to stand on if GW came after them.

As long as they're a little different aesthetically, GW are taking a gamble if they do send a cease and desist. It's a fake they'd likely win, because most 3d sculptors aren't going to go to court with a big corporation and will therefore simply comply. But it's also a gamble they can't afford to risk losing, because if they do they open the flood gates.

So there's a kinda dance going on: as long as you're not inviting copying GW's aesthetic, and aren't becoming too successful, you'll probably get away with it. If you do copy they're aesthetic, or start to become a serious business as opposed to just some dude with a myminifactory page, GW will come after you.

I dunno, I don‘t think getting the proportions right makes it harder for GW to sue you or not. Many concepts like evil, armored knights e.g. can‘t be really problematic, so unless you exact iconography, you‘re free to do something extremely similar to Slaves for example and GW can‘t do anything about it. More distinct concepts they can definitely sue you for - but copyright is a weird thing. In theory there should be no question, practically people get away with a ton of ******. 

I think there's room for a somewhat different or new aesthetic while keeping within the overall theme of brutal, chaos themed industrialists. While I like the the wfb chaos dwarf aesthetic I think I would be disappointed if the aos iteration of the faction ended up being more or less a copy and paste of their old look. One of the of things I like about aos is how a lot of the factions that have wfb counterparts are fairly creative and different to their wfb counterparts, like high elves and lumineth. Of course there's always the risk that the fans of the old aesthetic will be turned away but in my mind I think I would prefer them taking that risk and changing it up a bit.

If the new clockwork look/vibe turns out to be true I look forward to seeing how they 'chaosify' it up, could be pretty cool.

Edited by SilentSentinel
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I dunno, I don‘t think getting the proportions right makes it harder for GW to sue you or not. Many concepts like evil, armored knights e.g. can‘t be really problematic, so unless you exact iconography, you‘re free to do something extremely similar to Slaves for example and GW can‘t do anything about it. More distinct concepts they can definitely sue you for - but copyright is a weird thing. In theory there should be no question, practically people get away with a ton of ******. 

Oh proportions? I thought you were talking about the aesthetics themselves. Yeah there's no real reason not to make those fit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SilentSentinel said:

Of course there's always the risk that the fans of the old aesthetic will be turned away but in my mind I think I would prefer them taking that risk and changing it up a bit.

How many fans of the old aesthetic are there, and how many are not in the "bitter about AoS 'killing' TOW" camp.

If GW felt confident changing the aesthetic of High Elves (one if the most popular WHFB factions) with Lumineth, I think they'll be fine doing so with Chaos Dwarfs. After all, there'll be existing AoS players who will not be Chorf fans who might decide they like the new aesthetic.

• Like 3

Honestly, I think the new Chorf aesthetic will be based on the Horns of Hashut and the Chaos Dwarf logo in the Aqshy section of the corebook.  Essentially horns, spikes, and chains.

WCHornsHashut Jul20 ArtUntitled.png.ca5ac80f4fcc219041dcc540436

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

30 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

How many fans of the old aesthetic are there, and how many are not in the "bitter about AoS 'killing' TOW" camp.

If GW felt confident changing the aesthetic of High Elves (one if the most popular WHFB factions) with Lumineth, I think they'll be fine doing so with Chaos Dwarfs. After all, there'll be existing AoS players who will not be Chorf fans who might decide they like the new aesthetic.

Y‘know, if I were to redesign them, I‘d just give their sorcerers tall hats and keep the curled beards on some minis. That fits IMO and would make fans of that look happy and give CD room for a ton of new visuals and ideas next to the callbacks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Honestly I don't think its worth too much to bother to think about what this "clockwork" aesthetic entails. The source who said it could've been just making things up or misinterpreting something. I mean, remember when leakers called the Idoneth Deepkin "cthulhu elves?" And if people think they're gonna abandon the whole dieselpunk element of the Chorfs, their teaser in the 4.0 corebook explicitly mentions smoke and oil slicks. 

I would translate videogame interest into wargame interest. They could share some playerbase, but it is a minimun.

16 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I would translate videogame interest into wargame interest. They could share some playerbase, but it is a minimun.

My point is if that the original Chorf aesthetic was so unappealing, then the TWW3 Chaos Dwarfs (which are pretty much based on the old 4E and the Legion of Azgorh designs) wouldn't be so popular. You can argue that video game players and tabletop players are completely seperate markets, but its not like they have completely different tastes in aesthetics. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Honestly, I think the new Chorf aesthetic will be based on the Horns of Hashut and the Chaos Dwarf logo in the Aqshy section of the corebook.  Essentially horns, spikes, and chains.

Cannot be done better. Two pics that nailed it. Here it is how they will look. Would they have some machines with clockwork cogs and stuff like that? Yeah. But the overall aesthetic is this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BarakUrbaz said:

I am all in and i should add also hobgrots which actually have chaos dwarf runes 

01-01.jpg?fm=webp&w=920

• Like 1