The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Beliman said:

The point is not "an evil victory", the point is to have a great impact on the setting that people will still remember after some years. Taking down Order is one of the tools that the narrative has.

The closest to that, IMO, is the fall of Anvilgard and the Skavendoom. The Necroquake was quite meh in the end.

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

The closest to that, IMO, is the fall of Anvilgard and the Skavendoom. The Necroquake was quite meh in the end.

As someone who only follows the lore casually at least I still remember the necroquake quite well. I don't even remember what the main event of 3rd even was except that Kragnos woke up and got put to sleep again 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

As someone who only follows the lore casually at least I still remember the necroquake quite well. I don't even remember what the main event of 3rd even was except that Kragnos woke up and got put to sleep again 

End of the necroquake and launch of ritual of life from Alarielle, which had as consequence freeing Kragnos and waking up the Beast Realm. (TBH, Kragnos wasn't the real center of the lore of 3rd - it was the ritual of life that stirred up all the realms, especially the Beast one)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sarouan said:

End of the necroquake and launch of ritual of life from Alarielle, which had as consequence freeing Kragnos and waking up the Beast Realm. (TBH, Kragnos wasn't the real center of the lore of 3rd - it was the ritual of life that stirred up all the realms, especially the Beast one)

Also the Dawnbringers crusades. The rumour goes that the cities release was delayed. Apparently the Dawnbringers books were supposed to come out more gradually and provide much of the narrative context of the edition rather than being rushed at the end. 

28 minutes ago, Beliman said:

The point is not "an evil victory", the point is to have a great impact on the setting that people will still remember after some years. Taking down Order is one of the tools that the narrative has.

People remember because of the fun they had at that time, not really the consequences. That's why Storm of Chaos is such a fond memory : because of the campaign we played, not because it had a real impact on the setting afterwards.

Destroying a city just for the sake of destroying it has no impact in itself on that matter. Here I really don't care about what GW is doing with that city because it's just a marketing move to advertise next previews with one faction having it "earlier" than the other (we'll eventually have both, anyway).

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

People remember because of the fun they had at that time, not really the consequences. That's why Storm of Chaos is such a fond memory : because of the campaign we played, not because it had a real impact on the setting afterwards.

Disagree. For old players, probably. For new players, the impact that had on the game/setting will have more weight than just what they remember (aka, nothing). 

42 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Destroying a city just for the sake of destroying it has no impact in itself on that matter.

Agree

Edited by Beliman

4 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Also the Dawnbringers crusades.

Dawnbringer crusades is a consequence of the ritual of life and the end of the necroquake, though.

And when I see what they did in the end with Dawnbringer crusades...honestly, I don't think it was worth mentioning them.

17 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

The main event for the 3rd edition was the opposite of the Necroquake. The rite of life made by Allarielle. That's what caused Kragnos to wake up and all the realms to feel the effect of Ghur being empowered by life.

5 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Disagree. For old players, probably. For new players, the impact that had on the game will have a lot of weight. 

Storm of Chaos had a lot of impact on the game when it was on - we litterally had new exclusive lists and special characters / miniatures made for the occasion. That's where the legendary dwarf slayer army comes from, or the dark elf cult of Slaanesh and high elf sea patrol.

And like I said, just destroying a city in itself has no impact. You have to do more than that to really hit the spirits.

Remember when Morathi took Anvilgard from Sigmar and turned it into Har Kuron ? Pretty big change for the lore...but how many players do really remember that ? Not much, because there wasn't really a campaign made around its fate, it was just written as such in the background to sell a book at the end of an edition. And that was all it was.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

But it is a long-forgotten one because Broken Realms: Allarielle was cancelled, which is the book that was planned to develop it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Storm of Chaos had a lot of impact on the game when it was on - we litterally had new exclusive lists and special characters / miniatures made for the occasion. That's where the legendary dwarf slayer army comes from, or the dark elf cult of Slaanesh and high elf sea patrol.

Yes, for people that played at that time or still play 6th edition to remember the good'ol days, it was awesome. For new players that started a few months ago, they probably know that there was a campaign called storm of chaos. 

2 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

And like I said, just destroying a city in itself has no impact. You have to do more than that to really hit the spirits.

Yes of course, that was never the problem. Nobody says otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Disagree. For old players, probably. For new players, the impact that had on the game/setting will have a lot of weight. 

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Yes, for people that played at that time or still play 6th edition to remember the good'ol days, it was awesome. For new players that started a few months ago, they probably know that there was a campaign called storm of chaos. 

So was there a lot of impact in the setting or not for new players? 

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Of course. Players remember their experiences, not what they can't have known because they weren't in the hobby / weren't even born.

TBH, this matter of a "living setting" isn't that simple, especially in a hobby that takes a lot of time. For example, when Anvilgard felled, players who made / were building an Anvilgard army were mixed about that event. Suddenly, their army they made with Sigmar loyalists isn't "canon" anymore ? That's the same with Hammerhall in case it disappears. If the lore change dramatically too often, in a hobby that can take years to have a full army (depending of the people ;) ), that can be annoying and hype killing. I can imagine the same with Phoenicium players (no more phoenix guard, since the city went kaboom).

That's also why people were upset when GW announces they were removing models / entire factions from the range in the future.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sarouan said:

Of course. Players remember their experiences, not what they can't have known because they weren't in the hobby / weren't even born.

TBH, this matter of a "living setting" isn't that simple, especially in a hobby that takes a lot of time. For example, when Anvilgard felled, players who made / were building an Anvilgard army were mixed about that event. Suddenly, their army they made with Sigmar loyalists isn't "canon" anymore ? That's the same with Hammerhall in case it disappears. If the lore change dramatically too often, in a hobby that can take years to have a full army (depending of the people ;) ), that can be annoying and hype killing.

That's also why people were upset when GW announces they were removing models / entire factions from the range in the future.

Conclusion: Always create your own lore. GW cannot destroy it ;)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Also the Dawnbringers crusades. The rumour goes that the cities release was delayed. Apparently the Dawnbringers books were supposed to come out more gradually and provide much of the narrative context of the edition rather than being rushed at the end. 

The wait for Cities was extremely long  from first announcement to release, so I believe it. The updates were very sparse as well.

I definitely suspect there was some disruption that happened to the narrative development of 3rd edition. After all, the Incarnate plot line from Seasons of War was also never resolved. @Whitefang back me up claimed that the Gallet Spider Incarnate and completed Dawnbringer buildings were supposed to release at some point during 3rd, but later scrapped due to margin costs. If that is accurate, it would certainly go some way towards explaining why the narrative of 3rd ed felt so incomplete.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

Conclusion: Always create your own lore. GW cannot destroy it ;)

Of course they can. They just have to fill the previous gaps on their map with official new lore, just where you put your custom kingdom. ;)

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

@Garrac I had this video poending and it is coincidentally a Skaven win over the Sylvaneth at the beginning of the Era of Chaos. Don't know the source, tho.

I also can't recognise this, as I said during Age of Chaos skaven were on a big civil war, to go newrly extinct next at the realmgate wars.

Cool video, tho!

Edited by Garrac

28 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

TBH, this matter of a "living setting" isn't that simple, especially in a hobby that takes a lot of time. For example, when Anvilgard felled, players who made / were building an Anvilgard army were mixed about that event. Suddenly, their army they made with Sigmar loyalists isn't "canon" anymore ? That's the same with Hammerhall in case it disappears. If the lore change dramatically too often, in a hobby that can take years to have a full army (depending of the people ;) ), that can be annoying and hype killing.

Yes, I agree. But that's not what I'm talking about and what I was trying to say.

There are A LOT of diferent methods to accomplisht the same result, and the issues of advancing the story are always the same: removing models/units/armies. But that can be solved too (just look at other wargames). 

AoS, being part of GW company, it will be all about the models that are going to be in production. If your models are not going to be produced anymore, aka, moved to Legends/TOW, then, nothing can be done. BUT, the writting team can still work with some of the paint-schemes that are "invalidated", even models that are still in production but their city was destroyed. That's the point that needs a bit more work and exactly my point.

Btw, I think that the fall of anvilgard/Broken Realms: Morathi is one of the best narrative/campaign book in AoS. But the story carry the rules and even models (both being ok to meh).

And don't get me wrong, another "Fall of (insert city)" is not the best way to approach a new story arc.

31 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

So was there a lot of impact in the setting or not for new players? 

I can only speak for my gaming group. All the new players that are engaged with the same IP (Fantasy/TOW) don't care about Storm of Chaos, only about what they can buy and use on their games, in their RPG campaign or Total War Warhammer. From time to time, someone remembers the good'ol days, but they usually finish with "it was retconned so...".

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Btw, this 40k roadmap is making the rounds, but I dont know if it's oficial cos Warcom still hasnt shared it. I dont know if the same source is sharing an AoS roadmap as well:

IMG-20240806-WA0020.jpg

I'm still waiting for our fake roadmaps to return here as "rumours". 

Personally I wouldn't put much stock in it. As long as it isn't official by GW, it can simply be fake. 

7 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Btw, this 40k roadmap is making the rounds, but I dont know if it's oficial cos Warcom still hasnt shared it. I dont know if the same source is sharing an AoS roadmap as well:

IMG-20240806-WA0020.jpg

Would love to see Votann coming so soon, not sure if this is legit though it does fit with rumours of Guard and Votann, Thousand Sons I wasn't expecting yet.. Warcom might be posting this as later due to the cancelled Gencon preview..

If I remember right after launch 40k got some quick codex releases so AoS might get the same in Battletomes with the a character release, bigger updates coming later in 2025.

11 minutes ago, Garrac said:

IMG-20240806-WA0020.jpg

Its not too outlandish, Votann got a few rumours engines and I think there were also rumours about TS automata but I wouldn't expect Astra Militarum already. Rumours are they are getting a DKoK expansion but only next year and that wouldn't fit being the first codex for winter here. So probably a fake build up from rumours

12 minutes ago, Garrac said:

IMG-20240806-WA0020.jpg

Big pinch of salt, yet also quite believable with the rumours.

Thousand Sons are rumoured to be getting something big, Guard are due their Krieg upgrade and the Leagues of Votann are also rumoured to be getting their second wave.

On the other hand, the fact that the big factions are getting their codex so close together seems weird.