The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

mLtrj5Os0b33IYQA.jpg

The side-by-side of these two models makes the Sanguinor look so bad in comparison. And people didn't even like the Azyros that much when it was revealed!

This guy is a direct competition for Fatcast-Prime... How can GW release something like this in 2024, right after the Skaven range?  

14 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I'm somewhat peeved that out of the myriad excellent Chaos models that lurk in their archives, GW seems to have picked a selection of duds to re-release. 

Just my opinion, of course. Maybe people were crying out for those metal Daemon Princes to resurface. 

I think more people are crying that those metal Daemon Princes resurfaced. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I thought re-releasing the ropey old Tomb Kings skeletons was a joke... but it pales into insignificance compared to the absurdity of those Chaos Ogres being brought back. They.... are... AWFUL

I still think the TK skellies are much worse because they’re the core of the army, you can’t really avoid them in the way you can these. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main benefit of a lot of the old plastics is how cheap they are. 24 CW for £50~ is much better than 10 new ones for £40. 

I think people also don't appreciate how appealing a lot of older sculpts are compared to the updates. Oftentimes they're way easier and faster to paint which is important for people wanting to actually get painted armies on the tabletop. With the Warriors in particular I also know tons of people who just actively prefer them in WHFB/TOW compared to ranking up the new ones. The uniformity of the ranked up old ones is something that visually appeals to a lot of people compared to the newer ones who are all doing different things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

The main benefit of a lot of the old plastics is how cheap they are. 24 CW for £50~ is much better than 10 new ones for £40. 

I think people also don't appreciate how appealing a lot of older sculpts are compared to the updates. Oftentimes they're way easier and faster to paint which is important for people wanting to actually get painted armies on the tabletop. With the Warriors in particular I also know tons of people who just actively prefer them in WHFB/TOW compared to ranking up the new ones. The uniformity of the ranked up old ones is something that visually appeals to a lot of people compared to the newer ones who are all doing different things.

Oh warriors I get, they have that cool ‘serried ranks of dark armour’ look. I can see the argument being made for marauders too on the ranking basis you mention.

But for minis that were derided upon release, like the chaos ogres or the chosen or the knights, it’s hard to see the appeal. Hell, for ranking and sheer menace, it could have been cool to see the older metal knights come back, they were classics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Yes gone or replaced 

What funny is that the S2D spearhead has the chariot in it

Darn that makes me sad as I like my chariot and despite the silly pose I actually like the paint job I did on my manticore which is rare for me to feel that way.

Chaos trolls: absolutely here for it

The older Spawn: Yep, still creepy and amazing 

Warriors: they are nice and I'm think mixed in with new kit could make some nice variations

Hellcannon, Mega Spawn, Warpfire Dragon: *Insert take my money meme*

That all being said ....... I do wish that some of the other kits were redone instead.

Foresaken, the metal Warhounds, Wulfrik the wanderer, Galrauch any amount of alternative metal champions of sorcerer options to name a few 

And that's before you get into the FW chaos shenanigans of the Siege Giant, Curs'd Ettin, Toad Dragons and more.

I do remain hopeful more will come in time. Would like to see more of the weird and wonderful things available to WoC

Also Valkia anyone as the named Character?

Screenshot_2024-08-12-14-56-10-10_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by NotBeastmanBob

18 hours ago, Whitefang back me up said:

Can you solve this lightning round anagram? 

astrid pork steamrolls

Astral Templars something?

edit: you got the rumor already!

edit 2: i am bad at anagrams, I guess Stormstrike is the new Angelos Conclave name? (though IMHO the chariot should be Vanguard Chamber not warrior.

Edited by CommissarRotke

2 hours ago, Starfyre said:

I was all up for starting StD for 4th Ed AOS and now the doubt has been stoked again and I'm not going to buy anything.

You're fine as long as you stick to the recent kits. Warriors, chosen, knights, theridons, the exalted hero, the Karkadrak, the mounted lord, the myrmidon, Abraxia and Eternus are all here to stay. Same is true of the Darkoath, although there's a minute possibility they calve off into a separate faction in the future (I doubt it, personally).

That's actually most of the range! The lord on foot, sorcerer, chariot and warshrine are the things I'd be wary of. Maybe furies, too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NotBeastmanBob said:

That all being said ....... I do wish that some of the other kits were redone instead.

Foresaken, the metal Warhounds, Wulfrik the wanderer, Galrauch any amount of alternative metal champions of sorcerer options to name a few 

And that's before you get into the FW chaos shenanigans of the Siege Giant, Curs'd Ettin, Toad Dragons and more.

I do remain hopeful more will come in time. Would like to see more of the weird and wonderful things available to WoC

To me it looks like GW is listening to all the complaints about ToW and ramping up their release schedule to try to get some more journals out faster. Rather than wait for the new miniatures to be finished and shipped they're pushing the journal out as fast as they can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

To me it looks like GW is listening to all the complaints about ToW and ramping up their release schedule to try to get some more journals out faster. Rather than wait for the new miniatures to be finished and shipped they're pushing the journal out as fast as they can.

I know they had production issues earlier this year. I can't remember if the hold up was not being able to produce enough models or print enough rules and supplements. It's also possible there has been a bit of schedule mix up and changes to enhance sales but I think it's more production issues.

3 minutes ago, Souleater said:

I realise that Chaos have a deep back catalogue…but no new models is disappointing.

Are GW trying to avoid us using the em in AOS I wonder?

Possibly a choice between releasing sooner rather than waiting on things? As the setting is the War of Chaos, they might be saving stuff for a campaign book?

29 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Astral Templars something?

edit: you got the rumor already!

edit 2: i am bad at anagrams, I guess Stormstrike is the new Angelos Conclave name? (though IMHO the chariot should be Vanguard Chamber not warrior.

no Angelos conclave is still a thing just now the only Angelos conclave units are now all in the Ruination chamber 

5 minutes ago, Souleater said:

I realise that Chaos have a deep back catalogue…but no new models is disappointing.

Are GW trying to avoid us using the em in AOS I wonder?

Well i guess it they're way of seeing how well a AOS transferable army can handle after seeing that O&G suffer yet they had a new model  

47 minutes ago, NotBeastmanBob said:

Warriors: they are nice and I'm think mixed in with new kit could make some nice variations

would have prefer a AOS new Valkyia model to be honest but sure the return of the Red Valkyrie is cool tho I wonder if it a bait and switch and they're going to release Dechala lol

Dechala_M01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

no Angelos conclave is still a thing just now the only Angelos conclave units are now all in the Ruination chamber 

Well i guess it they're way of seeing how well a AOS transferable army can handle after seeing that O&G suffer yet they had a new model  

would have prefer a AOS new Valkyia model to be honest but sure the return of the Red Valkyrie is cool tho I wonder if it a bait and switch and they're going to release Dechala lol

Dechala_M01.jpg

As someone who's played Final Fantasy, I always found Dechala pretty cool. Definitely reminded me of one of the four fiends (Kary (it was supposed to be Kali), now Marilith). But this sculpt? Ouch. Would be nice if TOW got more new sculpts. 

Then again, one could create a pretty decent update out of a DoK melusai and HoS kitbash I figure! 🤔

4 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Man those sanguinary guard are such an improvement. No big dumb wings clanking around, no horrible chunky 5th ed bling, better weapons. The masks aren’t as good as true previous ones but otherwise they’re great.

They’re miles from the Coateaz update, which was just weird and flat. These are a meaningful update to the old ones, does what it says on the tin.

100% They look great, a solid upgrade. People here seem to forget that the Space Marine aesthetic with the Primaris update is already defined and it's what a majority of GW customers like and buy. For Stormcast they really had to do some changes. I love the newer Stormcast, but they are swamped with detail. So far I like everything previewed for the Blood Angels.

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Warriors of Chaos for The Old World. That came out of nowhere. Doesn't appear to be any new models though. Be interesting to see what this means for kits like the Manticore and On-Foot Lord going forward for AoS.

Yes! As a Chaos player I am really looking forward to the Arcane Journal. It's a bit of a shame that there are no new mini's, but how would they look? The AoS StD is basically TOW WoC with updated sculpts. I think with the ridiculous hard line between AoS and TOW, it seems impossible to give TOW new WoC mini's, that can't be used for AoS, Thus solong they want both mini sales seperated I don't see a good way to make something new for WoC, except a plastic Chaos Dragon :D 

3 hours ago, sandlemad said:

This might be the first release to really clearly highlight how silly the internal split between the SG studio and the main studio is.

Look at the rereleased chaos knights and chosen, they’re extremely rough compared to the existing AoS plastics. For the marauders and warriors there’s an argument about getting stuff to rank up but these, and the old metal daemon princes… eh.

Like, there’s a strong back catalogue of older chaos minis that look great, like the 6th ed metal chaos knights, but these are some really poor minis that don’t seem to have a need to exist besides the organisational split.

Yeah, it's absurd. My main army in AoS is StD, I would always use the AoS mini's.

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

Yeah, it seems to me that the WoC Arcane journal will be here sooner than later. What game systems will be previewed at the Nova open 2024?

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

100% They look great, a solid upgrade. People here seem to forget that the Space Marine aesthetic with the Primaris update is already defined and it's what a majority of GW customers like and buy. For Stormcast they really had to do some changes. I love the newer Stormcast, but they are swamped with detail. So far I like everything previewed for the Blood Angels.

Even with that, this is a step back. If you compare them with last year's release of SM, they don't meet the design quality.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Even with that, this is a step back. If you compare them with last year's release of SM, they don't meet the design quality.

I think the updated Black Templars are the best ones yet, but I rate the new Sanguinary Guard atleast as good as the Dark Angels Inner Circle Companions. 

The new Sanguinary guard are a solid improvement compared with their older kit. GW will sell loads of it. I fear that the BA armybox set will sell out on pre-order day.

Edit: The only thing that bugs me is that it is now a set of only 3 mini's. In the same way as the DA Inner Circle Companions.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NotBeastmanBob said:

I don't think so, since she's not really a "new" character for the setting.