The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Imagine your army A is the first in the roadmap after Skavens and SCE. With that info you can get a rough idea that your army A won't receive something big. So you can buy more units for your army A from the current roster or just focus your savings on armies B, C,... Z...

I find them not only useful but vital for a lot of players planning.

That's absolutely not what a roadmap tells you, though. And you don't know if the first army after Skavens and SCE won't receive anything big, you're just assuming that.

So planning anything about buying armies from a roadmap saying "order book in fall" is completely useless in itself. It's just saying something for order will come in fall, that's all it will tell you.

We have tournament players at our club, and I'm telling you they don't buy units based on a roadmap. They buy units on what they will do in the new rules, which a roadmap won't tell them anything.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, novakai said:

You can also be like Deathwatch players and only finding out last minute that your army essentially got gutted too from said redacted codex 

Yeah, roadmap about agents of the imperium certainly didn't tell anything on that matter.

7 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Slann is coming because we have a Star Player in the PC game and the PC game is predicting all the last teams and future SPs. It is the renegade Slann SP, so it doesn't mean they are coming soon

Ah gobbler Grimlich is a chaos star from last edition, I don’t have BB3 but I don’t believe he can play for Lustrian teams, but tbf the inclusion of him is a good nod in the right direction, a Slann team official release would be incredible

I think roadmaps are more for hype-building than anything else... you get the name of the next 5-6 books for the next half year for each of the system, and then you get the miniature preview split in different weeks on WarCom posts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Slann is coming because we have a Star Player in the PC game and the PC game is predicting all the last teams and future SPs. It is the renegade Slann SP, so it doesn't mean they are coming soon

3 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

Ah gobbler Grimlich is a chaos star from last edition, I don’t have BB3 but I don’t believe he can play for Lustrian teams, but tbf the inclusion of him is a good nod in the right direction, a Slann team official release would be incredible

Isn't Gobbler Grimlich (assuming that's who @Nezzhil's talking about, I don't follow the BB PC games) a toad like mutant (or mutated toad) and not a Slann? 🤷‍♂️🐸

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

That's absolutely not what a roadmap tells you, though. And you don't know if the first army after Skavens and SCE won't receive anything big, you're just assuming that.

So planning anything about buying armies from a roadmap saying "order book in fall" is completely useless in itself. It's just saying something for order will come in fall, that's all it will tell you.

We have tournament players at our club, and I'm telling you they don't buy units based on a roadmap. They buy units on what they will do in the new rules, which a roadmap won't tell them anything.

It could be more descriptive (and I think it will be the case), but I agree most of the ppl assume the next one after SCE will be small.

uguh4jrtbswa1-1024x576.png

warhammer-40k-roadmap-2023-24.jpg

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

It could be more descriptive (and I think it will be the case), but I agree you assume the next one after SCE will be small.

I'm not assuming, you are. ;)

Joke aside, roadmaps aren't made to be descriptive. They can be pretty like the pictures you put for 40k, but that's exactly my point : you just know something will come for these factions about that time, and that's pretty much it. It's not enough for planning to buy something unless you have more information on the rules and the new minis.

For example, that roadmap didn't say Blood Angels would have a full new miniature range coming with it, and so anyone buying old minis in anticipation of that may feel like a bit like fools when they saw them.

And that's why you don't plan anything based on a roadmap.

25 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Planning what, exactly ? Miniatures that won't change will still be there, it's just a change of rules that the roadmap will not tell you anything about anyway. Same for new minis, the roadmap won't say anything. So it's just giving you a vague timeline and saying "something will come about there". That kind of info is worthless for any plan you want to make.

Many different things, everyone plans different and has different situations. For example not everyone has loads of money, maybe you are considering getting something new for your army and if you know that your army is getting something next maybe you want to hold off and see what is coming next in case there is something new that shows up that you would have wanted more.

Perhaps you really like a unit, but it has an old model that you dont like but you would still want to use the unit over something and there is a chance of an updated model for it maybe you want to wait and see rather than buy the old sculpt and seeing that your army is not even on the roadmap or is up next can work with this.

For example I would like to invest more in to Soulblight and Cities of Sigmar, I think both are great, but I would like to focus one to start with and I like both equally. If Soulblight is on the map and Cities are not then I would like to wait and see as it could be there is something about to come in Soulblight in a few months that would sway me over the other. 

Edited by Vaellas
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

I'm not sure where this attitude is coming from. Since AoS 1, the third book for AoS or 40k has never had a substantial release. The vague "order book" style roadmap isn't particularly helpful, I'd agree but the last two roadmaps have been pretty explicit with only agents of the imperium being redacted as it's a "new" army. If we get a redacted book in our roadmap, I'd put good money on it being chorfs. 

Also roadmaps do affect tournament players. If I'm thinking of leaning into Lumineth this year but I see they've got a book coming in a couple of months, I'd definitely wait and see what how the rules develop before I jump in. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

For example I would like to invest more in to Soulblight and Cities of Sigmar, I think both are great, but I would like to focus one to start with and I like both equally. If Soulblight is on the map and Cities are not then I would like to wait and see as it could be there is something about to come in Soulblight in a few months that would sway me over the other. 

Always CoS. That's an easy problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

Many different things, everyone plans different and has different situations. For example not everyone has loads of money, maybe you are considering getting something new for your army and if you know that your army is getting something next maybe you want to hold off and see what is coming next in case there is something new that shows up that you would have wanted more.

Perhaps you really like a unit, but it has an old model that you dont like but you would still want to use the unit over something and there is a chance of an updated model for it maybe you want to wait and see rather than buy the old sculpt and seeing that your army is not even on the roadmap or is up next can work with this.

You don't need a roadmap for that. That's what I'm doing since the launch of Old World waiting for that juicy Empire (re)release, without a roadmap in mind. I don't really care when they come out, I just care that I will have a budget for them when they're available. It doesn't even need to be bought the day of release, TBH, or not everything at the very least.

It's a given with a new edition that all factions will have a new battletome (and new minis(s) ). So if you want to collect the army you always wanted to, you can already put money on the side for the day it will finally come (or already buy the models you love and are available).

A roadmap just gives you a vague timeline for the day it will come...but it doesn't trigger the plan you make about it, because it's actually not dependant of the roadmap itself. You know they will come eventually, roadmap or not.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

You don't need a roadmap for that. That's what I'm doing since the launch of Old World waiting for that juicy Empire (re)release, without a roadmap in mind. I don't really care when they come out, I just care that I will have a budget for them when they're available. It doesn't even need to be bought the day of release, TBH, or not everything at the very least.

It's a given with a new edition that all factions will have a new battletome (and new minis(s) ). So if you want to collect the army you always wanted to, you can already put money on the side for the day it will finally come (or already buy the models you love and are available).

A roadmap just gives you a vague timeline for the day it will come...but it doesn't trigger the plan you make about it, because it's actually not dependant of the roadmap itself. You know they will come eventually, roadmap or not.

I think roadmaps are more handy for collectors of multiple armies/ games. That's when you have to juggle with money provisions.

• Like 4

I can see and relate to both sides of the discussion  here. 

It would be great if Geedubs gave a little hint of release size like gravelords will be the 3nd book with a medium sized release, overlords will be the 4th with a larger release, Kruleboyz will be 5th with a smaller release (gnashtoof cav and a murknob ranged hero) for example. 

This imo would really stoke the hype fires!

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

I'm not assuming, you are. ;)

Joke aside, roadmaps aren't made to be descriptive. They can be pretty like the pictures you put for 40k, but that's exactly my point : you just know something will come for these factions about that time, and that's pretty much it. It's not enough for planning to buy something unless you have more information on the rules and the new minis.

For example, that roadmap didn't say Blood Angels would have a full new miniature range coming with it, and so anyone buying old minis in anticipation of that may feel like a bit like fools when they saw them.

And that's why you don't plan anything based on a roadmap.

It tells me if I need to budget for any army books coming out in the next 3-6 months. When you have a bunch of armies it's useful to know about that. Model wise can be used to inform questions later but the fact I know to budget for an army book in 3-4 months time is useful information.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

I think roadmaps are more handy for collectors of multiple armies/ games. That's when you have to juggle with money provisions.

For definite. One example is I have Aeldari for 40k, but was also playing Warcry at the time. I was making the decision whether to add something to my Aeldari but I was also tempted by a different Warcry warband at the time for something a little different to play with. The 40k roadmap showed there was nothing coming up for Aeldari for a while so I knew that I was fine to get what is already there, however the Warcry roadmap did show there was stuff to come so instead of grabbing something from Aeldari I decided to wait and see what the new Warcry warbands were bringing just in case I preferred that over what was already there. In the end I enjoyed the look of new warband when it was eventially revealed and got that instead and that was a situation where the roadmap helped me with that decision in holding off for what in the end turned out I liked the most.

• Like 4

IDK, so far every GW customer I know rather have a generic budget for miniatures they allow themselves to spend per month, and would rather see what really comes in the next pre-orders that interests them than planning it multiple months / a year in advance. Sometimes it gets higher, sometimes they just wait the next month...not like the codexes will disappear the next week of the pre-order.

I do that as well, and Sigmar knows how many armies / factions I already have...

Edited by Sarouan

2 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

IDK, so far every GW customer I know rather have a generic budget for miniatures they allow themselves to spend per month, and would rather see what really comes in the next pre-orders that interests them than planning it multiple months / a year in advance. Sometimes it gets higher, sometimes they just wait the next month...not like the codexes will disappear the next week of the pre-order.

I do that as well, and Sigmar knows how many armies / factions I already have...

My problem is the time it takes to build and paint an army. It can take me six months or more. I've been working on my cities army for most of the year. I'm very tempted by Skaven but if  a cities book is coming in the next six months, I'll probably wait. For it more about deciding what not to buy rather than planning a purchase. Roadmaps definitely help with that. 

If the first six books are S2D, FeC, Nurgle, Ogors, DoK and Fyreslayers, then I will go in on Skaven as none of those other books would interest me. 

• Like 7

They're uselesss to you. They are not useless objectively as proven by the fact some find them useful noted in this thread.

It's like saying information on an army you don't collect is useless to have, because you're just gonna buy the stuff you want, when you want to. The person collecting said army might find it interesting to know they've got a release upcoming and may be looking at spending. There are almost certainly some very different economic backgrounds amongst us all.

It's a bit silly of us all to be banging on about it like it's some two sided debate. No one is like to convince the other.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Sometime I just chalk it up to people having poor self control or saving and spending habits. 

Generally you will not know which units are good or needed for your army until the NDA is lifted and man read books two weeks from the actual release. Like maybe you can assume that Sanguinary guards are gonna be good in Blood angels but you would not have know they would drastically redo them or that their formation is the strongest until just last week.

but I digress and it do think the general community are more excited about model previews then just Roadmaps when it comes to these shows.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

Sometime I just chalk it up to people having poor self control or saving and spending habits. 

Generally you will not know which units are good or needed for your army until the NDA is lifted and man read books two weeks from the actual release. Like maybe you can assume that Sanguinary guards are gonna be good in Blood angels but you would not have know they would drastically redo them or that their formation is the strongest until just last week.

but I digress and it do think the general community are more excited about model previews then just Roadmaps when it comes to these shows.

I mean, I never concern myself about rules when buying miniatures anyway. Roadmaps are still valuable for budgeting purposes, I can't buy everything I want especially when it's first released so roadmaps help me a great deal in planning things out.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Chikout said:

My problem is the time it takes to build and paint an army. It can take me six months or more. I've been working on my cities army for most of the year. I'm very tempted by Skaven but if  a cities book is coming in the next six months, I'll probably wait. For it more about deciding what not to buy rather than planning a purchase. Roadmaps definitely help with that. 

If the first six books are S2D, FeC, Nurgle, Ogors, DoK and Fyreslayers, then I will go in on Skaven as none of those other books would interest me. 

Sure, why not. I don't really see why you would wait, TBH (after all, you sound like you'll take Skavens anyway at some point in the future, it's just a question of how soon or late it will be). If it's just a question of building and painting miniatures, roadmap has no impact on those who are available ATM (can actually be the opposite, being replaced by new minis).

Edited by Sarouan