The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Either you'll be playing at a time where points don't matter, or you're serious enough that you've already printed the points out years earlier

it can't have all of the same fluff if it's supposed to be a cheaper, softback Gamer edition though right? especially if the regular battletomes are now getting more lore pages and gatefold pages.

The article outright states they will have the same contents.

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

Yeah, but why?

I can understand that they don't create new unit options without miniatures in the same way as TOW is doing with various new units as this opens the door to third parties. 

But why don't add more spell/prayer lores, artefacts and heroic traits to factions that get a proper battletome? Or atleast expand the lores from 3 to 6. It can't be a lack of creativity.

Or that they just want to keep it simple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Or that they just want to keep it simple.

But the game will be the same if you had 6 artifacts instead of 3. Players would only take one, exactly the same as before.

Only list-writting would be "more" complex, but that part doesn't have a timer or someone waiting at the other side of the table.

1 minute ago, Beliman said:

But the game will be the same if you had 6 artifacts instead of 3. Players would only take one, exactly the same as before.

Only list-writting would be "more" complex, but that part doesn't have a timer or someone waiting at the other side of the table.

It is not about complexity during the playing time, but complexity over the whole game.

IMO it is a trend aimed to younger people.

Edited by Ejecutor

1 hour ago, RetconnedLegion said:

The article outright states they will have the same contents.

but if it's the same page count then it would be more expensive or the same price..? because it has the extra cards with it.

edit: I just do not see a gatefold page layout working well in a softback, nor do I see a Gamer edition selling well at the same price or more expensive as the hardback tome.

Edited by CommissarRotke

5 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

but if it's the same page count then it would be more expensive or the same price..? because it has the extra cards with it.

edit: I just do not see a gatefold page layout working well in a softback, nor do I see a Gamer edition selling well at the same price or more expensive as the hardback tome.

The gamer edition is both limited availability and comes packaged with rules cards so it could well cost more than the hardback edition

48 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Possibly, but younger people have less free time than we did as teenagers, and even young to elder adulthood is getting less and less free time... it's streamlined rules for overworked players of any age. We can see the same trend in TTRPGs as well.

1 minute ago, EonChao said:

The gamer edition is both limited availability and comes packaged with rules cards so it could well cost more than the hardback edition

I guess the price point straight up does not matter then, if they're aimed specifically at tournament players. Strange decision.

47 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is not about complexity during the playing time, but complexity over the whole game.

Aha, so fo kids between 6 and 8?

• Expanding the spells in a lore from 3 to 6 or giving each faction a second spell lore.
  • Increasing the artefacts from 3 to 6 or more. Expanding heroic traits and etc.

Does not make the game more complex at all. Removing stuff or removing options is not the same as streamlining. What is the point of Spearhead if the main game is also very limited in options.

If the core rules are robust and balanced than you can add extra options to the game through battletomes.

Almost all people here posted when the indexes were previewed that we would get more options when the battletomes arrive. Lol, that's a big no. You are just paying 50+ euro for the same rules, some pretty pictures and a couple of pages new fluff if you are lucky.

And to make it worse is that probably somewhere mid edition they will change their mind and start adding more options to the battletomes.

I will wait for the StD battletome but if it is just a copy paste of the index + point increase than I hope our group will just keep playing third edition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

Possibly, but younger people have less free time than we did as teenagers, and even young to elder adulthood is getting less and less free time... it's streamlined rules for overworked players of any age. We can see the same trend in TTRPGs as well.

Does it take really so much time to think a couple of minutes about which heroic trait and artefacts you want to take when the list is expanded a little bit? Or is it to much work to think which spell from a lore of 6 spells you will cast during the game instead of a lore of 3 spells?

Come on... Than they should have dropped Battle Tactics instead of limiting spells, artefacts and heroic traits.

Edit: And kids / teenagers not having enought time? As a working parent I can say with certainty that my children have a lot of free time... they just need to put down their phone or tablet for a sec. 😉

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tonhel said:

Does it take really so much time to think a couple of minutes about which heroic trait and artefacts you want take when the list is expanded a little bit? Or is to much work to think which spell from a lore of 6 spells you will cast during the game?

Come on... Than they should have dropped Battle Tactics instead of limiting spells, artefacts and heroic traits.

We seem to be talking about two different things tbqh. I guess I missed the part where there's nothing new being added to battletomes? guessing this part of the article is the point of contention:

image.png.855bbcba56053226c53cec442a09b2ba.png

I was under the impression there weren't major CHANGES coming to warscrolls or rules, not that there wouldn't be ADDITIONS. I didn't read this as "nothing new at all in the battletomes" because there are more to our faction packs than Battle Traits and unit scrolls.

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

We seem to be talking about two different things tbqh. I guess I missed the part where there's nothing new being added to battletomes? guessing this part of the article is the point of contention:

image.png.855bbcba56053226c53cec442a09b2ba.png

I was under the impression there weren't major CHANGES coming to warscrolls or rules, not that there wouldn't be ADDITIONS. I didn't read this as "nothing new at all in the battletomes" because there are more to our faction packs than Battle Traits and unit scrolls.

Yes, this means that the battltomes for Skaven and SCE will not have anything new, but the factions "might"  get extra changes to traits and units with additional books. (Maybe campaign books? Which is nice, but not expanding the spell lore, artefacts and heroic traits in that expensive battletome is very weird.

Edit: I hope you are right that they will add extra spells and artefacts in the battletomes. It seems very unclear.

Edited by Tonhel

3 hours ago, madmac said:

streamlined

I‘ve had enough of it already. GW streamlining is equal to killing the fun part of TT games. They don’t understand the general concept of it I assume.
I wonder at what point they‘ll finally have quenched all the fluff and fun and people stop playing.

/rant

Let‘s fight over MCguffin Cities with our generic clone heroes while dancing around magic circles for victory as our completely replaceable models get removed every 6 years.

/rant end

anyways. I want more pictures of those griffins.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mcm6495 said:

What do you think they have planned for the Death Alliance in 2025?

IMO the're three candidates : NH, OBR and SBGL. FEC has recently had a massive overhaul, so I'm taking them out of run.

For the other three, there are elements in favour of each :

NH has at least one reminiscent rumour engine (skeletal arms holding vials).

OBR has only had one wave of initial release in the last 5 years.

SBGL still has several models that need refresh : grave guards obviously, black knights, zombie dragon, etc.

I'm hoping for the last ones, even if it would mean having to finish painting their spearhead, which has been hanging around for weeks. :P

I love the idea of a gamers edition in a smaller format but I feel like the cards and colour printing will keep the price higher than I am willing to toss at a physical edition.

I would love a soft cover digest edition in ring bound with b/w and just the rules.

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

IMO it is the new old limited edition BT. That was like almost twice the price?

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

And to make it worse is that probably somewhere mid edition they will change their mind and start adding more options to the battletomes.

This.

Even GW designers can only take so much of this „streamlining” bs before getting bored to death.

• Like 2

There is not only 3 artefacts or 3 heroic traits. You are missing that each book will have múltiple armies of renown that are gonna be different ways to play with limited stuff that with the common book will be weak or silly. Just remember that Index AoR are not that bad.

Other point is: a good amount doesn't means a lot of variety. O&G journal have a Big amount of magic items, and except 3 or 4 they are ******. AoS and 40k are not the old games were items make them useful, the units and heroes have there own abilities that works like Old Magic items.

• Like 2