The Rumour Thread

One of the cool (albeit frustrating at times) aspects of AoS, is that whilst it is in a good state, it is also laden with so much potential. Nearly every faction could receive many kits, which could go in several directions, and make perfect thematic sense. Each Grand Alliance could add several entirely new factions or off-shoots of current ones and again, make perfect thematic sense. 

This potential provides fertile ground for speculation, but I can't help but feel that too many of the factions are sitting in a kind of "half-baked" state. July next year will mark AoS's 10th anniversary (I suspect that might be around the time we see Chorfs) and If you had asked me 10 years ago, will AoS still be "supporting" the range of Fantasy Dark Elf kits, I would have baulked at the idea. Yet here we are. 

There has to be a reason why GW leaves one or two "straggler kits" within ranges even when giving them large updates. The most recent egregious example is the Night Runners for Skaven. Nearly a decade into the new setting, as the primary antagonists of 4th edition, with 19 brand new (and updated) kits, you leave that 20+ year-old carbuncle as part of the range? Why? I just don't get it. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Hollow I completely agree. 

I've never understood why mostly everything has to be centered around a battletome or campaign book release. 

Like just udate grave guard, etc. It's not like customers aren't going to buy it.

For being the big #1 of this industry they really do have some strange offerings for things. Like, you're the tip of the mountain in Fantasy and sci-fi miniatures but the only basic goblin you offer is either the current gloom grots or some twenty year old kit. 

Just weird and almost ten years in. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

I've never understood why mostly everything has to be centered around a battletome or campaign book release. 

Like just udate grave guard, etc. It's not like customers aren't going to buy it.

For being the big #1 of this industry they really do have some strange offerings for things. Like, you're the tip of the mountain in Fantasy and sci-fi miniatures but the only basic goblin you offer is either the current gloom grots or some twenty year old kit. 

This thought made me question GW's release strategy a few pages back. I would start collecting GSG tomorrow if they updated the basic Gobbo kit. Yes, the current kit is serviceable, but they are also a carryover from fantasy and feel like it compared to the more dynamic modern offerings across the rest of the range. 

Whilst I enjoy the big splash releases that come with Battletomes. I wish there was a consistent monthly release schedule that addressed things that weren't tied to larger releases. Warcry looks to be pivoting to something along these lines, but I do think it would be nice to have a reliable, single new release for each of the grand alliances 10 months of the year. Which could be used to update an existing kit or introduce a new Hero/Unit here and there outside of the Battletome schedule. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hollow said:

One of the cool (albeit frustrating at times) aspects of AoS, is that whilst it is in a good state, it is also laden with so much potential. Nearly every faction could receive many kits, which could go in several directions, and make perfect thematic sense. Each Grand Alliance could add several entirely new factions or off-shoots of current ones and again, make perfect thematic sense. 

This potential provides fertile ground for speculation, but I can't help but feel that too many of the factions are sitting in a kind of "half-baked" state. July next year will mark AoS's 10th anniversary (I suspect that might be around the time we see Chorfs) and If you had asked me 10 years ago, will AoS still be "supporting" the range of Fantasy Dark Elf kits, I would have baulked at the idea. Yet here we are. 

There has to be a reason why GW leaves one or two "straggler kits" within ranges even when giving them large updates. The most recent egregious example is the Night Runners for Skaven. Nearly a decade into the new settings, as the primary antagonists of 4th edition, with 19 brand new (and updated) kits, you leave that 20+ year-old carbuncle as part of the range? Why? I just don't get it. 

The traditional explanation would be that they want that unit to exist in faction, but just don't have the bandwidth to replace it right away. So they're leaving it in as a placeholder for now until the next major release or whatever until they can resculpt it. That sort of falls apart when you look at all the kits they cut out this edition though. They kept so many failcast heroes around for so long and they'd be perfect targets for a resculpt, but instead they just unceremoniously dump them off into legends. 

For the Skaven the most cynical guess I can come up with is they still have extra copies of the kit sitting around in a warehouse somewhere and are keeping it around to try to sell as many as possible. Once they've moved the existing stock they'll probably just never do another printing run and drop them from the book next edition. The most optimistic guess I have is they're planning on a warcry warband sometime in the next year or so since they'd be a pretty perfect fit for that.

For Dark Elves I think they just want to keep the concept around in the game until they eventually re-do them as their own faction. At that point they'll do the same thing as the high elf kits and send them off to the great blue index in the sky.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hollow said:

There has to be a reason why GW leaves one or two "straggler kits" within ranges even when giving them large updates. The most recent egregious example is the Night Runners for Skaven. Nearly a decade into the new setting, as the primary antagonists of 4th edition, with 19 brand new (and updated) kits, you leave that 20+ year-old carbuncle as part of the range? Why? I just don't get it. 

bro don't act surprised when we're talk about a company that let this exist for decades not decade decades

Warp Spiders

File:Asurmennobanner.jpg

File:Karandras.jpg

1994 to be exact

and Karandras is "rumor" to be forgotten by the design team so he won't appear in that eldar 2025 refresh so he going for a new record

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I own all those Eldar models in metal. Eldar 2nd edition were my first Warhammer Army. In the late 90's, my dad bought them for me for my 13th birthday. It's crazy to think they are still for sale. I wonder how much profit they have made in their lifetime? 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 4

With the current topic, there has to be some sort of financial reason they release what they do… while there has been some odd months the last several year… due to everything happening in the world this decade they are all over the place in expectations and releases.

Most warhammer fans know they throw money at GW against their better judgement, but want their products and support the hobby they have invested thousands of dollars in and want it to survive. 

But to everyone point, army boxes are a steep investment. While I’m sure it’s GWs best way to get money upfront and control stock, but I feel like a lot of customers would prefer to buy a single unit at a time every paycheck instead of having to scrape up to buy the more expensive box just to get your hands on the new stuff. 

oh yeah don't know if this was brough up or if this mean anything but TTWW are doing End Times models

Total-War-Warhammer-FB-Games-FB-Other-Warhammer-Fantasy-8494723.png

Total-War-Warhammer-FB-Games-FB-Other-Warhammer-Fantasy-8494724.png

Total-War-Warhammer-FB-Games-FB-Other-Warhammer-Fantasy-8494720.png

r/totalwar - Two legendary heroes for Khorne !

r/totalwar - Two legendary heroes for Khorne !

Along with Skullreapers and Wrath mongers

this not to say those models will be taken out just intersting that they're open to end times models. Mind you End time models like Glottkin, Nagash and Thanquol will definitely be around in AOS especially since this edition hard confirm the latter

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife said:

Most warhammer fans know they throw money at GW against their better judgement

I'm not a fan of this kind of comment. Sure some people are financially incompetent, but I think the majority of GW's customers don't "throw their money at GW against their better judgment". I think most people choose to spend what they do willingly because that's what they want. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

oh yeah don't know if this was brough up or if this mean anything but TTWW are doing End Times models.

It would be amazing if they went through the entire End Times and then launched a full Total War Age of Sigmar game. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Hollow said:

It would be amazing if they went through the entire End Times and then launched a full Total War Age of Sigmar game. 

Doesn’t seem likely they gonna tocuh AoS since all rumors point to them going to 40K next

Granted seems more of a slam dunk decision given that Space marine 2 reach 2 million players regardless if people are skeptical that  CA can make an engine that works

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

If Gitmob are cavalry only then it might be as simple as 

wolf chariot 

wolf lord

if the wolf chariot was like the big pig then it could easily have a 3 build lord/shaman/normal option or maybe a melee option and a ranged artillery option like the dark elf chariot 

you wouldn’t need much more than that to make it a mini faction like darkoath 

There always the Snotling pump wagon, not sure if they where iconic but there definelty something to consider

13 minutes ago, novakai said:

Doesn’t seem likely they gonna tocuh AoS since all rumors point to them going to 40K next

There are rumours that they are creating a new engine to better incorporate ranged warfare and "modern" fighting styles. I remember reading that they plan to go for a WWI or WWII setting using this engine first. 40k would make sense, but there is a lot to be said for "carrying on the story" which is what AoS is to TWW. 

Perhaps they might even attempt to do both, in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

There are rumours that they are creating a new engine to better incorporate ranged warfare and "modern" fighting styles. I remember reading that they plan to go for a WWI or WWII setting using this engine first. 40k would make sense, but there is a lot to be said for "carrying on the story" which is what AoS is to TWW. 

Perhaps they might even attempt to do both, in time. 

Depends but with Frontiers mess up and then signing the rights to AoS, it maybe a long while before company want to do AoS give that it’s not a strong IP. I have not gotten the feel that CA care much about AoS either way.

and GW seem to be Turbo 40K mode right now with Amazon and Space marine 2

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Granted seems more of a slam dunk decision given that Space marine 2 reach 2 million players regardless if people are skeptical that  CA can make an engine that works

I haven't played Space Marine 2, but saw some cool battle scenes against Tyranids and Thousands sons and they are amazing. If Total War can implement this, than the next decade will be 40K focussed + a couple of historical titles.

It will be an immense succes.

No way that they will chose as a succesor of TW: Warhammer TW: AoS, which will for most just look like a reskin of Warhammer 3 especially non AoS players. There would also be a big outcry and divide the TW community.

And an extra argument is the flop of Realms of Ruin.

So while a TW game for AoS would be great and would certainly be as fun as TW: Warhammer, I don't believe it will happen in the next decade.

7 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Ten years in means nothing. They didn't start the game fresh. We have years of carried over work to really feel we start fresh.

6 hours ago, Hollow said:

This thought made me question GW's release strategy a few pages back. I would start collecting GSG tomorrow if they updated the basic Gobbo kit. Yes, the current kit is serviceable, but they are also a carryover from fantasy and feel like it compared to the more dynamic modern offerings across the rest of the range. 

Whilst I enjoy the big splash releases that come with Battletomes. I wish there was a consistent monthly release schedule that addressed things that weren't tied to larger releases. Warcry looks to be pivoting to something along these lines, but I do think it would be nice to have a reliable, single new release for each of the grand alliances 10 months of the year. Which could be used to update an existing kit or introduce a new Hero/Unit here and there outside of the Battletome schedule. 

The problem is GWs capacity. They just cannot commit into that.

10 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Hero Heavy Chariot

Shaman-priest on snarlfang

3x2 Small Chariots (gore grunta base size)

Heavy warmachine

That's similar to other army boxes with only elite troops like S2D.

The snarlfang hero is basically granted 😉

1D1XLrh.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Ten years in means nothing. They didn't start the game fresh. We have years of carried over work to really feel we start fresh.

20 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I don’t know, I see all the work Conquest and Para Bellium has done in just 5 years and have felt GW squander AoS a bit in the last ten (of course it because they have multiple systems beside AoS but still) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, novakai said:

I don’t know, I see all the work Conquest and Para Bellium has done in just 5 years and have felt GW squander AoS a bit in the last ten (of course it because they have multiple systems beside AoS but still) 

Did they really make that much compared to AoS? I don't follow it closely, I just open the store from time to time to see what they have new and it doesn't feel that much.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

The problem is GWs capacity. They just cannot commit into that.

I think they can, but decided not too. They probably concluded that spreading resources over multiple game systems / studio's is more profitable than just doubling the AoS releases. It's not because GW doubles the AoS output that customers can follow.

I would love it that GW each week announces new plastic kits and while I find it exciting and cool to look at what is new and keeps the "wow" factor high, it doesn't impact the amount of money I spend on mini's, simple because I am not rich :D and the price is a  bit to high for impulse buying.

For 3d printing I am more easily lured into spending more... because it doesn't "feel" as expensive.. I am way more impulsive in subscribing to a patreon/tribe for 5-16 euro per month, just because I think wow, such cool mini's.. than spending 50+ euro on 5-10 mini's from GW.

But than you also feel dirty when you realise you subscribed to 15+ patreons/tribes and spend almost 200 euro on stls in a month, which results in hundreds of mini's, of which the majority will never be printed.. and even a smaller % will get some paint on it... .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

I think they can, but decided not too. They probably concluded that spreading resources over multiple game systems / studio's is more profitable than just doubling the AoS releases. It's not because GW doubles the AoS output that customers can follow.

I would love it that GW each week announces new plastic kits and while I find it exciting and cool to look at what is new and keeps the "wow" factor high, it doesn't impact the amount of money I spend on mini's, simple because I am not rich :D and the price is a  bit to high for impulse buying.

For 3d printing I am more easily lured into spending more... because it doesn't "feel" as expensive.. I am way more impulsive in subscribing to a patreon/tribe for 5-16 euro per month, just because I think wow, such cool mini's.. than spending 50+ euro on 5-10 mini's from GW.

But than you also feel dirty when you realise you subscribed to 15+ patreons/tribes and spend almost 200 euro on stls in a month, which results in hundreds of mini's, of which the majority will never be printed.. and even a smaller % will get some paint on it... .

Just check their website. Look at their stocks. I really doubt that they don't want to earn more profit.

All the mess lately, the delays, a new factory being worked. It is all due to capacity issues.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Just check their website. Look at their stocks. I really doubt that they don't want to earn more profit.

All the mess lately, the delays, a new factory being worked. It is all due to capacity issues.

That's my point, it's because they spread their resources / capacity across two studio's and multiple game systems. If they focus more on their two main games they will have more stock and more releases, but this doesn't mean more profit or that GW customers will spend more money each month just because GW doubled AoS or 40K releases.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wurgog_on_a_Wyvern said:

Because of the increased size of the armor, id guess the wolf is fairly large, similar in size to the S2D karkadrak? 

Yes , I imagine the hero will be larger than snalfangs unit .

Don’t forget also that Warcom article states “ an army box and individual releases for the Gloomspite Gitz” : who said armoured troggoths ? 😉 

no problem for me to see existing snarlfangs riders in the army box .

• Like 3