The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Let's hope so! Love the mounted Wight king and UW Wight king. Another one would be very cool!

In terms of scale it looks like it was up for $64 (in or around October), which plonks it in at just a little cheaper than Lauka Vai.

This could be a big half king :). Or on a big beasty.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, drumpouch said:

My money is on Wight King on Steed

Why would they release a 2nd one unless it is a promo game day mini or something like that?

Really hope this leads to deathrattle expansion; new knights, grave guard, some ranged infantry, etc. Hell I'd even take an upgrade sprue that allows bows for the current kit.

I greatly prefer the classic skelly to the design of OBR and would love to be able to field a full and diverse all skelly force. 

Imagine a full on tomb kings level of options but in a gothic style! 💀🖤

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Acrozatarim said:

*slaps forehead*

Oh yeah. No idea how I forgot that.

So not a Warhammer+ model, but... what, then?

edit: Waaaaaiiit they said there was a narrative book coming this year, right? Are we actually gonna get a narrative book with a mini release already?

I wouldn't expect it so early, I am more inclined to think it is the W Day mini.

9 hours ago, LeisureCanid said:

...whoops, scratch that. Found it on a few more sites and the price seems pretty inconsistent. Maybe more likely $38.

Yeah, I initially saw that 68$ price tag and thought that it gotta be big, but the prices are not consistent.

Question for those with a long time (and memory) in the hobby. What has been the bigger/more expensive model from a Warhammer Day?

My hope is this will be a Krell-esque character (a bit like Krittok is kinda a Queek like character). Big nasty named Wight King with a cool two handed axe. Maybe he can share the former chaos champion origin as well (death themed Tornus the Redeemed, although in his case his redemption comes from being killed and reanimated by Nagash).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Space Marines 2 is doing more than the entire GW company. It's crazy how many people are asking questions about that IP.

I'm a bit sad that Realm of Ruin couldn't do anything for AoS...

It is not about the 40k vs AoS, it is about the kind of game it is one vs the other. Space Marines 2 could easily be Stormcasts vs Rats, Nighthaunts, or GSG or something that can put a massive amount of minions out there and I think it would work the same way.

One is a good game with good gameplay and the other is an average game with an average gameplay.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Space Marines 2 is doing more than the entire GW company. It's crazy how many people are asking questions about that IP.

I'm a bit sad that Realm of Ruin couldn't do anything for AoS...

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is not about the 40k vs AoS, it is about the kind of game it is one vs the other. Space Marines 2 could easily be Stormcasts vs Rats, Nighthaunts, or GSG or something that can put a massive amount of minions out there and I think it would work the same way.

One is a good game with good gameplay and the other is an average game with an average gameplay.

No, replace it with anything from AoS or TOW and it will no do as good. Vermintide 1 and 2 are great games, but don't come close with how Space Marine 2 is doing. It's insane. There is something special about space marines. It's the golden goose for GW.

If the rumours are true and that the next Total War game will be 40K and the game works it will blow out the Warhammer 1/2/3 sales out of the water.

RoR failure killed big AAA titles for AoS in the near future, it will be either Warhammer or 40K.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is not about the 40k vs AoS, it is about the kind of game it is one vs the other.

I wasn't comparing them. 

My point: A tripleA game with a world-wide media cover (streamers, youtubers and non-gamers reviews) is praised to be so fun to play with a lot of appeal for newcomers (and gamers in general) has done more than the company that created that IP.

Of course, a pseudo-RTS game that not even rts-lovers liked will never accomplish something similar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's just a question of immersion. Space Marine 2 does a great job making you feel you're a OP living tank blasting through hordes of enemies with big, heavy sound weapons. Even the big "thump" noise you make with each step stomping the ground.

And yeah, 40k will always be more attractive in comparison to AoS in terms of customers. That's a fact now.

That said, it won't last for long. It's just the Hype game at the moment, like Dark Tide was. I certainly had a sudden envy of building a few Space Marines / Tyranids with the video game, but I'm not sure it will be a lasting trend. Not even talking about starting a new army, since Space Marines certainly don't play in the tabletop like the demi gods they are in the video game.

Maybe I'll have fun with cooperative Kill Team when it's out, though. Putting a couple Space Marines against masses of mindless tyranids.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

No, replace it with anything from AoS or TOW and it will no do as good. Vermintide 1 and 2 are great games, but don't come close with how Space Marine 2 is doing. It's insane. There is something special about space marines. It's the golden goose for GW.

If the rumours are true and that the next Total War game will be 40K and the game works it will blow out the Warhammer 1/2/3 sales out of the water.

RoR failure killed big AAA titles for AoS in the near future, it will be either Warhammer or 40K.

Not true. The vermintude games are decent and nothing more. Look at the comparison between Darktide and Space marine, both 40k games where you are fighting hordes of enemies. The difference is that one of those games is ok and the other is great. The AoS license was the only saving grace of Realms of Ruin.  It was a poor game in a genre with an extremely demanding player base who have even turned against StarCraft 2 recently. There have been dozens of 40k games over the years, many of those staring space marines and this is the first one that has genuinely hit the big time. 

The total war Warhammer games blew up  because they were  a new kind of  total war game, a great game from a storied developer not because it was Warhammer. 

40k total war could well have a much harder time breaking through. The total war fanbase has rather soured of the series of late and the developer isn't the darling it used to be. If 40k total war is a great game it could do very well but there are no guarantees. Even the dawn of war series was only a modest success in the grand scheme of things and dawn of war 3 did not do well at all. 

To look at it one other way. Space marine 2 is a hit that is drawing players into 40k due to it's great gameplay and visual panache. It's not drawing them in because of the license. 

The trick that gw is missing, is using the success of space marine as a gateway into the tabletop. It's something they've never been good at. 

The other thing GW need to learn is that if you want to make the most of the license, third person is the way to go. An RTS just isn't going to reach a wide audience these days. If GW really want AoS to blow up, they should put a decent budget behind a Witcher style Rpg or a souls like set in the universe. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

40k is just inherently a stronger IP than AOS from an accessibility and surface level standpoint. RoR could have been executed flawlessly but may have still struggled initially (but still found its legs through good word of mouth over time) because the elevator-pitch and USP of the IP is inherently just kind of a difficult sell, or not very easy to sum up. 40k is "regressive medieval nightmare with stock fantasy races IN SPACE" it's immediately distinct but also has enough recognizable pop-cultural markers for people to latch onto. Make a good product/work around that and you have an instant success; even middling works can still be wildly successful just off of the back of the strong foundation the IP gives you.

I'm not even sure what the easily sum-up-able USP of AOS is. I don't think it has one.

• Like 3