The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

It is not about the 40k vs AoS, it is about the kind of game it is one vs the other. Space Marines 2 could easily be Stormcasts vs Rats, Nighthaunts, or GSG or something that can put a massive amount of minions out there and I think it would work the same way.

I think there's some truth to this, but I also think the setting of 40k helps it a lot. Not so much that the setting is better, but that is much more widely known which (a) means there'll be more existing fans talking about it, meaning more potential new fans getting interested and (b) there's more reach for content creators covering it.

44 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Not true. The vermintude games are decent and nothing more. Look at the comparison between Darktide and Space marine, both 40k games where you are fighting hordes of enemies. The difference is that one of those games is ok and the other is great. The AoS license was the only saving grace of Realms of Ruin.  It was a poor game in a genre with an extremely demanding player base who have even turned against StarCraft 2 recently. There have been dozens of 40k games over the years, many of those staring space marines and this is the first one that has genuinely hit the big time. 

The total war Warhammer games blew up  because they were  a new kind of  total war game, a great game from a storied developer not because it was Warhammer. 

40k total war could well have a much harder time breaking through. The total war fanbase has rather soured of the series of late and the developer isn't the darling it used to be. If 40k total war is a great game it could do very well but there are no guarantees. Even the dawn of war series was only a modest success in the grand scheme of things and dawn of war 3 did not do well at all. 

To look at it one other way. Space marine 2 is a hit that is drawing players into 40k due to it's great gameplay and visual panache. It's not drawing them in because of the license. 

The trick that gw is missing, is using the success of space marine as a gateway into the tabletop. It's something they've never been good at. 

The other thing GW need to learn is that if you want to make the most of the license, third person is the way to go. An RTS just isn't going to reach a wide audience these days. If GW really want AoS to blow up, they should put a decent budget behind a Witcher style Rpg or a souls like set in the universe. 

But it is also true that Sci-fi tends to perform better than Fantasy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Found this image on Reddit claiming it to be Othar the Half-King. 

n5r41vythrod1.jpeg

I hope not 😅

EDIT: It reminds me of a LOTR sculpt or something actually.... scanning.........

EDIT 2: Can't seem to find it... but parts of it seem so familiar.

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi

3 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

What do people make of a possible SBG character looking so Nighthaunt-y?

Well, it‘s just a plus IMO. If GW didn‘t split death into so many factions and I could mix them into one single army, I‘d have bought a Death army already. But as it stands, I love basic skeletons, love FEC monsters, love me some Nighthaunt, I also like those multi-headed Bonereaper ones despite not being a huge fan of that line… Death has so many amazing models, I wish Soulblight stole more from the others so that I could build said visual mix. 😇 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starfyre said:

Maybe the half-Wight half-nighthaunt look is why he's called the half-king.

More like because there is half left of him.

1 hour ago, AquaRegis said:

It looks absolutely ridiculous, looks like a villain of the week from a 80s cartoon. 

I love it. 

Nyehehehe

Edited by PraetorDragoon
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

Not true. The vermintude games are decent and nothing more. Look at the comparison between Darktide and Space marine, both 40k games where you are fighting hordes of enemies. The difference is that one of those games is ok and the other is great. The AoS license was the only saving grace of Realms of Ruin.  It was a poor game in a genre with an extremely demanding player base who have even turned against StarCraft 2 recently. There have been dozens of 40k games over the years, many of those staring space marines and this is the first one that has genuinely hit the big time. 

The total war Warhammer games blew up  because they were  a new kind of  total war game, a great game from a storied developer not because it was Warhammer. 

40k total war could well have a much harder time breaking through. The total war fanbase has rather soured of the series of late and the developer isn't the darling it used to be. If 40k total war is a great game it could do very well but there are no guarantees. Even the dawn of war series was only a modest success in the grand scheme of things and dawn of war 3 did not do well at all. 

To look at it one other way. Space marine 2 is a hit that is drawing players into 40k due to it's great gameplay and visual panache. It's not drawing them in because of the license. 

The trick that gw is missing, is using the success of space marine as a gateway into the tabletop. It's something they've never been good at. 

The other thing GW need to learn is that if you want to make the most of the license, third person is the way to go. An RTS just isn't going to reach a wide audience these days. If GW really want AoS to blow up, they should put a decent budget behind a Witcher style Rpg or a souls like set in the universe. 

Lol, not true at all. You are surely joking when you say that Dawn of War 1 was only modest succes in the grand scheme of things. 🤣It was a massive hit. It sold more than 7 million copies (and it was pc only!). The three Total War: Warhammer games have currently sold around 9 million copies. In comparison Realms of Ruin couldn't even reach 80000 copies. That's it. It's an immense flop.

Darktide doesn't have a Space Marine as a playable class and even than it sold 10 million copies! 😉 

Vermintide 1 and 2 and Darktide are from the same developer. It's very fun to kill with a friend hordes of rats. Still Vermintide 2 only sold half of the copies compared to Darktide. It's the same concept and playstyle, fun and great games. Certainly in Co-op. But the one in 40K universe sold double the amount of copies.

Currently Space Marine 2 released a couple of days ago already reached the 2 million sales.

Another thing to remember is that Total War: Warhammer is a pure PC game, compared to Darktide and Space Marine 2

Any sensible game developer will use the 40K IP, instead of the Warhammer IP and certainly the AoS IP. It's all in the numbers. No chance that there will come an AAA game soon for AoS.

Edit: Even Dawn of War 3, which wasn't really great and also a flop, still managed to almost sell 1 million copies. A lot more than 72000 or so that RoR managed to sell.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 1

Just now, Beliman said:

Appart from the IP that the videogame is based, being a good game is part of the formula to have great numbers.

Yeah and both Vermintide 1 and 2 were great games, but still didn't come close to Darktide.

The 40K is just a stronger IP for videogames than Warhammer and AoS. The AoS IP is currently burned by the RoR debacle. If RoR was a great game, we would have seen new AAA AoS games sooner than later. Now it will take a while, if ever.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Yeah and both Vermintide 1 and 2 were great games, but still didn't come close to Darktide.

The 40K is just a stronger IP for videogames than Warhammer and AoS. The AoS IP is currently burned by the RoR debacle. If RoR was a great game, we would have seen new AAA AoS games sooner than later. Now it will take a while, if ever.

Yes I know. An IP can become popular/ mainstream in time. What I'm saying is that a good game can help, even if it doesn't make the same numbers as other 40k games.

• Like 1