The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, Tonhel said:

That suprises me as you are omnispresent 😛

Afaik there isn't an AoS videogame (except some smaller tablet games) in development. There are a couple for 40K and none for Warhammer (ignoring the TW: WH III dlc's).

I cannot find it. Someone said the name of the studio working on it and Googling I could find the details, but just googling AoS videogame or similar does not show the info nor I can find the post here :(

It surprised me as well as I had 0 news about it.

7 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Lol, not true at all. You are surely joking when you say that Dawn of War 1 was only modest succes in the grand scheme of things. 🤣It was a massive hit. It sold more than 7 million copies (and it was pc only!). The three Total War: Warhammer games have currently sold around 9 million copies. In comparison Realms of Ruin couldn't even reach 80000 copies. That's it. It's an immense flop.

Darktide doesn't have a Space Marine as a playable class and even than it sold 10 million copies! 😉 

Vermintide 1 and 2 and Darktide are from the same developer. It's very fun to kill with a friend hordes of rats. Still Vermintide 2 only sold half of the copies compared to Darktide. It's the same concept and playstyle, fun and great games. Certainly in Co-op. But the one in 40K universe sold double the amount of copies.

Currently Space Marine 2 released a couple of days ago already reached the 2 million sales.

Another thing to remember is that Total War: Warhammer is a pure PC game, compared to Darktide and Space Marine 2

Any sensible game developer will use the 40K IP, instead of the Warhammer IP and certainly the AoS IP. It's all in the numbers. No chance that there will come an AAA game soon for AoS.

Edit: Even Dawn of War 3, which wasn't really great and also a flop, still managed to almost sell 1 million copies. A lot more than 72000 or so that RoR managed to sell.

You haven't quite got your numbers right. The 7 million number is for the whole dawn of war series including expansions up to 2013 when relic was acquired by Sega. I think that counts as a decent success not a staggering one.

I think you might be using this as the source of your 10 million sales comment for      darktide. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210/discussions/0/3490878556687693701/

It's a joke post by a user. There doesn't seem to be any concrete data about sales. 

I'm not trying to say Realms of Ruin wasn't a massive flop, but if you look all the reviews, the complaints are all about the gameplay not the setting. When you have multiple steam reviews in a row saying the game is a chore to play it's going to be difficult to find success. 

Total war Warhammer was a big hit, I agree, but it was down to it being a good game with lots of content as much as it was down to the licence.  We can't really have the argument about the quality of the AoS license until we get a genuinely good game in the setting and unfortunately we haven't had that yet. 

In other news, welcome back Whitefang! You have been missed. I hope everything is ok and you were just enjoying a nice break. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

It still feels like the best AoS game would be a souls like. It has really beautiful models and designs with a heavy metal style that could work really well. Imagine playing a knight questor travelling the land and fighting terrifying foes. 

Honestly, always felt like AoS lends itself really well for an MMO game, get 4 hub locations for each grand alliance, from which people use realmgates to get to each of the realms

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chikout said:

You haven't quite got your numbers right. The 7 million number is for the whole dawn of war series including expansions up to 2013 when relic was acquired by Sega. I think that counts as a decent success not a staggering one.

I think you might be using this as the source of your 10 million sales comment for      darktide. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210/discussions/0/3490878556687693701/

It's a joke post by a user. There doesn't seem to be any concrete data about sales. 

I'm not trying to say Realms of Ruin wasn't a massive flop, but if you look all the reviews, the complaints are all about the gameplay not the setting. When you have multiple steam reviews in a row saying the game is a chore to play it's going to be difficult to find success. 

Total war Warhammer was a big hit, I agree, but it was down to it being a good game with lots of content as much as it was down to the licence.  We can't really have the argument about the quality of the AoS license until we get a genuinely good game in the setting and unfortunately we haven't had that yet. 

In other news, welcome back Whitefang! You have been missed. I hope everything is ok and you were just enjoying a nice break. 

Yeah, the Dawn of War series was in total 7 million, but the Dawn of War 3 series sold only a million copies, so it's still are very impressive numbers for Dawn of War 1. Dawn of War was a succes, the hype in 2004 when it released was comperabable with how Space Marines 2 is received. I loved it in 2004. But social media, RTS on console gaming wasn't a thing than, afaik there was only the pc version.  So in that period it was a massive hit, really comperable to SM 2. Ofcourse different times.

About Darktide, it isn't a joke. Yeah, I saw that post on steam, but we know that Vermintide 1 sold atleast 2 million copies before Vermintide 2 was released. The net revenue of Vermintide 1 was around 6 million, the net revenue of Darktide is around 56 million. So 10 million copies or more sold is perfect possible.

What am I arguing is that if RoR was a succes, than we would have seen a lot more AoS AAA games sooner than later, but with the massive flop, it didn't even reach 100000 sold copies and it is currently heavily discounted will probably have caused damage to the IP for videogames. While 40K and Warhammer IP (thanks to Total War) do feel more attractive for a game developer (certainly 40K).

Is this fair, no it isn't, but I do believe that the AoS IP is damaged for the near future for videogames. 

53 minutes ago, Huanchi said:

And thats the beauty of AoS. Everything is possible

Yeah, it's a cool mini and I am curious about its background.

That said, I would have prefered a Wight king with legs as a replacement of the old plastic Wight king (which still rocks). This one has more LotR vibes and is a mix of Nighthaunt of SBL. So it's either for Warcry/underworlds or for a new Army of Renown that mixes NH and SBL. (Which would be cool and would open a lot of cool stuff for AoS).

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

45 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

That said, I would have prefered a Wight king with legs as a replacement of the old plastic Wight king (which still rocks). This one has more LotR vibes and is a mix of Nighthaunt of SBL. So it's either for Warcry/underworlds or for a new Army of Renown that mixes NH and SBL. (Which would be cool and would open a lot of cool stuff for AoS).

That RoR would indeed be cool! Great idea, would be good for a spearhead in theory! 👌

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Yeah, the Dawn of War series was in total 7 million, but the Dawn of War 3 series sold only a million copies, so it's still are very impressive numbers for Dawn of War 1. Dawn of War was a succes, the hype in 2004 when it released was comperabable with how Space Marines 2 is received. I loved it in 2004. But social media, RTS on console gaming wasn't a thing than, afaik there was only the pc version.  So in that period it was a massive hit, really comperable to SM 2. Ofcourse different times.

About Darktide, it isn't a joke. Yeah, I saw that post on steam, but we know that Vermintide 1 sold atleast 2 million copies before Vermintide 2 was released. The net revenue of Vermintide 1 was around 6 million, the net revenue of Darktide is around 56 million. So 10 million copies or more sold is perfect possible.

What am I arguing is that if RoR was a succes, than we would have seen a lot more AoS AAA games sooner than later, but with the massive flop, it didn't even reach 100000 sold copies and it is currently heavily discounted will probably have caused damage to the IP for videogames. While 40K and Warhammer IP (thanks to Total War) do feel more attractive for a game developer (certainly 40K).

Is this fair, no it isn't, but I do believe that the AoS IP is damaged for the near future for videogames. 

Yeah, the game not being good didn‘t help for sure - it‘s not a gigantic drawback but not ideal either. I still find a Souls-like in AoS would be THE way to do it. The Mortal Realms got great places visually, the concept with a stormcast getting reforged upon „death“ would be nice, all it would need is to focus on the darker aspects (which I‘m a fan of anyways). 

The sad truth is that strategy games aren‘t very popular anymore, I guess it has to do with them being PC only and that‘s a big NO-NO in the eyes of some. 🤔

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Found this image on Reddit claiming it to be Othar the Half-King. 

n5r41vythrod1.jpeg

Woow! It looks really cool!!

By the way, wasn't there a suppose release leak that claimed there will be a new Wight king and some body guard for SBGL?? I think it was treated as fake, but now seems a little bit more realistic.... Does anyboy have the list?

So 20 days to Warhammer day preview and with 40K and ToW paused to next year I think it will most on mortal realms and middlearth .

This is what we got last year https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/14/the-warhammer-preview-online-warhammer-day-2023-all-the-reveals/

To pair that I think we could see :

- AoS :

1)STD BT + Darkoath spearhead + new Chaos Sorcerer/Lord/Spawn ??

2) Narrative book focused on Death ?? with Othar the Half king ??

- Warcry: New season starter set 

- Underworlds: New season starter set Skaven Skryre vs Stormcast ruination ( as per Nighthaunt noob rumors)

-Middlearth : new edition along with new starter set War of Rohirrim : Rohan vs Dunland 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, the game not being good didn‘t help for sure - it‘s not a gigantic drawback but not ideal either. I still find a Souls-like in AoS would be THE way to do it. The Mortal Realms got great places visually, the concept with a stormcast getting reforged upon „death“ would be nice, all it would need is to focus on the darker aspects (which I‘m a fan of anyways). 

The sad truth is that strategy games aren‘t very popular anymore, I guess it has to do with them being PC only and that‘s a big NO-NO in the eyes of some. 🤔

Yeah, I have Age of Empires IV on my pc and xbox. I really can't play a game like that on the xbox. I love it on PC, don't like it on xbox. I need a mouse to play a game like that.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

If it is an event mini it will probably be a second version of an existing model. Maybe it is indeed a second model for the current Wight King.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MitGas said:

That RoR would indeed be cool! Great idea, would be good for a spearhead in theory! 👌

The problem is that, if in fact comes in Oct as the leaks suggest, it is almost impossible that it is coming in a spearhead. It will be either the Warhammer Day event mini or a BL mini.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cyrus said:

So 20 days to Warhammer day preview and with 40K and ToW paused to next year I think it will most on mortal realms and middlearth .

This is what we got last year https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/14/the-warhammer-preview-online-warhammer-day-2023-all-the-reveals/

- AoS :

- Underworlds: New season starter set Skaven Skryre vs Stormcast ruination ( as per Nighthaunt noob rumors)

-Middlearth : new edition along with new starter set War of Rohirrim : Rohan vs Dunland 

I would expect preview shows to get much more conservative. So I wouldn't expect anything about warcry to be honest.

22 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

I would expect preview shows to get much more conservative. So I wouldn't expect anything about warcry to be honest.

Probably something along the lines of...

Presenter: "S2D battletome is on the way. Can you tell us more about that?"

Guest: "Yeah, sure. So we're going to release stuff!"

Presenter: "Oh wow, that's really amazing! Stuff sounds really cool!"

• Haha 8

Just now, Vasshpit said:

Probably something along the lines of...

Presenter: "S2D battletome is on the way. Can you tell us more about that?"

Guest: "Yeah, sure. So we're going to release stuff!"

Presenter: "Oh wow, that's really amazing! Stuff sounds really cool!"

You forgot that it will include followers of Chaos!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cyrus said:

- AoS :

Othat looks like a Commemorative Kit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyrus said:

- AoS :

I don't think 40k will sit this out. It'll probably be a look at the Krieg box set that's rumoured to be coming ahead of the Astra Militarum Codex.

Personally I'm thinking:

New editon of MESBG

Battletome Slaves to Darkness and their new mini, plus the narrative book

New season of Underworlds

Krieg box to wrap things up

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I can be totally wrong, but IIRC the triple-A being developed is an MMO.

I had a look and yeah there's supposed to be an MMO in development from Nexon that both they and GW announced back in December 2021. It could be vaporware now but I guess time will tell.

• Like 2