The Rumour Thread

34 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

'Rules for your units are in the latest battletome' is something GW has been doing for over 30 years, back when they were just called Warhammer Armies books. This isn't some stunning new predatory move they've whipped out of their rear suddenly.

what? we have had free warscrolls for the whole life of AoS. This is aboslutely a new direction, one which straight up lowers the value that I (as a consumer) draw from their product in exchange for no discernible benefit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

'Rules for your units are in the latest battletome' is something GW has been doing for over 30 years, back when they were just called Warhammer Armies books. This isn't some stunning new predatory move they've whipped out of their rear suddenly.

Different times and instead of going full in with providing everything digitally, they are actually going backwards. Forcing you to buy a battletome or codex to get the rules digitally. It's absurd.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, YoghurtKobold said:

I do remember that when the AoS started GW was proudly pointing out how all the rules are free. Now you not only need the Battletome and main rule book but also subscription for their app If you want to have full experience. 

Thankfully there are other sources which work really well. Unfortunately, players who are new to the hobby probably don't know to look for those (unless being onboarded by someone who helped them). Haven't bought a single book in years and since a physical book will often get an errata/FAQ day one (sometimes even before released) it really diminishes their value to begin with.

That said, until we see a meaningful reaction from the community it will be business as usual. The people who make the decisions won't move unless they have to and, as it stands, they don't have to. It is really hard to argue for change within a company when the profits seem to only go in one direction (up), so even if there are voices in there who speak for more accessible rules they are likely silenced by those who simply point at the numbers.

We'll see, perhaps it comes a day when they raise the prices a little too much or they make it just inconvenient enough and people stop buying/engaging with their offer and things change. I don't see it happening any time soon since I've hoping for that for a long time now. :D

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, YoghurtKobold said:

I do remember that when the AoS started GW was proudly pointing out how all the rules are free. Now you not only need the Battletome and main rule book but also subscription for their app If you want to have full experience. 

IIRC, the basic rules are always free to download, but yeah... even in the second edition, If I am not wrong, you received a digital copy of your BT with the purchase.

We are moving in a direction that I am not sure how GW see this beneficial for them. Either they think we are stupid and will throw them money blindly, or there's something behind that is completely out of my understanding.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Thankfully there are other sources which work really well. Unfortunately, players who are new to the hobby probably don't know to look for those (unless being onboarded by someone who helped them). Haven't bought a single book in years and since a physical book will often get an errata/FAQ day one (sometimes even before released) it really diminishes their value to begin with.

That said, until we see a meaningful reaction from the community it will be business as usual. The people who make the decisions won't move unless they have to and, as it stands, they don't have to. It is really hard to argue for change within a company when the profits seem to only go in one direction (up), so even if there are voices in there who speak for more accessible rules they are likely silenced by those who simply point at the numbers.

We'll see, perhaps it comes a day when they raise the prices a little too much or they make it just inconvenient enough and people stop buying/engaging with their offer and things change. I don't see it happening any time soon since I've hoping for that for a long time now. :D

I think part of the problem is that many people are unaware of GW’s practices and spend their money in good faith that they are buying something that they need or is worth their investment. 

Thats why it’s important that people like yourself help to inform others if something is overpriced, unfair, or if a free alternative exists, even if it’s just for the financial sake of that individual or to raise awareness, that’s a worthwhile cause. 

There will always be people who simply don’t care, and buy without much consideration, and that is absolutely their right, but it doesn’t make discussion with your pals, your local playgroup or on forums like this any less valuable. 

• Like 2

I’ve recently begun playing a game called This Quar’s War, and the owners practice is to release all rulebooks as free PDFs, and paid physical copies for those who like holding the books in their hands. His, accurate, thinking is the books aren’t going to be the money makers, his models are.

Im sure GWs status as a publicly traded company would prevent them doing that entirely but the free rules on the app was a good in between. Let’s face it, within a week every Battletome is up as a pdf or copied to a website. Those that don’t want to pay aren’t going to pay. Dropping free in-app warscrolls only reduces the chance of people spending money, whether it’s new people or those of us who get mad ideas in the middle of the night after scrolling through a random army. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Different times and instead of going full in with providing everything digitally, they are actually going backwards. Forcing you to buy a battletome or codex to get the rules digitally. It's absurd.

Too freaking right it is. It's ridiculous that it's still something we have to discuss. 

I feel like if I keep banging on about separating the rules from the lore-and-art, it might one day happen. But I'm certainly not holding my breath. 

I had hoped with the discourse that came with this same issue on the 40k app and positivity from the AoS app that maybe they would learn but apparently not. It's such a shame as being able to check om the app quickly how things play, see rules, make up a team was a great free use of app. This just makes people go elsewhere and is not customer friendly.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2024 at 10:57 AM, Vaellas said:

I had the exact same issue last year. In the end they told me to wait a couple of weeks to see if it changes as may be an issue with the website. After that I contacted back to say the issue was still there and you can see from my page that I had subbed for a year so it should be claimable. Had a different person who could see the same, but also could not fix the problem so instead they managed to send the model to me on their end.

Yeah they just did it manually their end for me in the end.

11 minutes ago, cyrus said:

The first quarterly update for Warhammer Age of Sigmar is on its way soon – stay tuned for news on the first balance update for the game later this month.

Edited by cyrus
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cyrus said:

the part about needing to know the points (but hey, not the actual rules!) for the opponent's units to ensure faireness is hilarious.

It also meant that players who didn’t have that battletome wouldn’t know any of the points values for their opponents’ units

Edited by Marcvs
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

the part about needing to know the points (but hey, not the actual rules!) for the opponent's units to ensure faireness is hilarious.

Agreed. That article is hilarious. It gives me the feel that they didn't think of other people checking lists to see if the points are correct. (for example TOs) 

• Like 1

Not being able to look at warscrolls now for free does suck but people are acting like now they are forced to buy battletomes to use the app, where the battletome has always been needed to fully use the app as battle traits, spells, prayers and the like have always been locked, unless you have the battletomes code. 

I'll also argue that younger, newer players are more Internet savvy and are more likely to look online than older veterans, I only switched from pen and paper during 3rd edition 🤣

Battletomes don't sell in volume if they don't include the rules, so the full rules for a faction will almost definitely never be free. Some component of the rules will also be gated behind a paywall. 

8 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Agree!

1 minute ago, Ogregut said:

Not being able to look at warscrolls now for free does suck but people are acting like now they are forced to buy battletomes to use the app, where the battletome has always been needed to fully use the app as battle traits, spells, prayers and the like have always been locked, unless you have the battletomes code. 

I'll also argue that younger, newer players are more Internet savvy and are more likely to look online than older veterans, I only switched from pen and paper during 3rd edition 🤣

The thing is that I certainly would want to pay for a higher subscription if the AoS or 40K app gives acces to all the rules of all the factions. I just don't want to buy all the battletomes at almost 50 euro.

Heck, I already would settle for a buyable digital code which is now printed in the battletomes. I would easily pay 10-15 euro per code. Which is still easy money for GW... .

So you have the choice, buy the battletome/codex and get the App code and the book or buy only the code for a cheaper price, so you have everything in the app, but without the book.

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

The thing is that I certainly would want to pay for a higher subscription if the AoS or 40K app gives acces to all the rules of all the factions. I just don't want to buy all the battletomes at almost 50 euro.

Heck, I already would settle for a buyable digital code which is now printed in the battletomes. I would easily pay 10-15 euro per code. Which is still easy money for GW... .

So you have the choice, buy the battletome/codex and get the App code and the book or buy only the code for a cheaper price, so you have everything in the app, but without the book.

There are people that sell the codes second hand... xD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PraetorDragoon said:

The more annoying thing is that Regiments of Renown are also locked behind the battletome. You know, those things that are specifically made to replace allies and can be taken only with other factions. 

much less infuriating than the subject we are discussing, but it's also a bit annoying to buy a battletome and to get rules which you literally cannot use with the book you just bought (the RoRs)