The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Any thoughts about the big change GW are announcing today? The rumoured paints? 

Some time ago, I heard whispers that they were working on a new/improved website. Back then I thought it meant that they're reworking warhammer.com, but maybe they've been redesigning Warhammer Community website? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It could be because I am not native, but I read this as a change in warcom itself:

Also, it does not say it will be announced today.

You definitely could read it that way. I did notice that there weren't many articles last week. Maybe they've been busy prepping something. It always surprises me how many Europeans there are here with an excellent command of English. It makes me ashamed of my efforts to learn Japanese. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

You definitely could read it that way. I did notice that there weren't many articles last week. Maybe they've been busy prepping something. It always surprises me how many Europeans there are here with an excellent command of English. It makes me ashamed of my efforts to learn Japanese. 

Well, Japanese and English are not even close in terms of the learning curve.

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

A range of paints for experts with dropper bottles. It comes from Valrak but it does sound a bit wishlisty. 

I could see GW do this, but to be honest GW paints in dropper bottles for probably double the price of every other paint brand (going off of the current prices for GW paints vs. others) does not sound very appealing for actual "pro" painters (or even intermediate and advanced hobbyists).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

There is no shame in efforts to learn another language. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

That'd be typical GW behaviour... implement something that should already be universal for their range, say it's for "experts", and triple the price tag. 

Mind you, if they bring out a new "expert" shade of purple I'm sure I'll buy it regardless... 

Agree about the purple! I don't have a issue with GW paints in general and use many in my painting along with lots of other ranges but their purples are sadly lacking. 

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

It is not confirmed, but as they removed one mini a few months ago, I would think it is the case.

I think that was removed to make the range entirely plastic as the last resin shaman was removed too at the same time but the really old and kind of ugly spider-riders remained despite them being perfect to shove back into TOW

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EonChao said:

I think that was removed to make the range entirely plastic as the last resin shaman was removed too at the same time but the really old and kind of ugly spider-riders remained despite them being perfect to shove back into TOW

The expectation should anyway be that they remain in AoS until their models are replaced.

• Thanks 1

The reason I don't believe the rumours, is that GW always makes beginner focused hobby products. Dropper bottles require a pallet, the nozzles can get clogged and they're not really compatible with contrast which has been such a hit that everyone else has copied them. Peachy did a really good interview with an ex gw employee a while ago that went over this. 

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The expectation should anyway be that they remain in AoS until their models are replaced.

I approach it in the totally opposite way. Are thjey WHFB models? Then they are just waiting to be removed/ replaced 😅

24 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I approach it in the totally opposite way. Are thjey WHFB models? Then they are just waiting to be removed/ replaced 😅

All models eventually get replaced. Of course, older WHFB models are primed to be replaced, too.

But the real question is, given what we currently know about how GW is handling old world, which models are likely to be moved to that game outside of the normal refresh/replacement cycle? In my opinion, since spider riders and arachnaroks stuck with us through the Orcs and Goblins Old World release and the AoS edition change, they are with us until they get replaced with a new AoS kit.

This is in contrast to the likes of Beasts of Chaos or the current Cities dwarves.

On the mono god topic, I think we will probably see Khorne sometime next year, hopefully with a new Valkia model too

I do hope we get a big refresh/expansion for Tzeentch, namely cause he’s my favorite one

Nurgle models are in a great place with the odd model or two needing an update, Slaanesh will probably get a big update/expansion when they have them break free in the lore

40 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The reason I don't believe the rumours, is that GW always makes beginner focused hobby products. Dropper bottles require a pallet, the nozzles can get clogged and they're not really compatible with contrast which has been such a hit that everyone else has copied them. Peachy did a really good interview with an ex gw employee a while ago that went over this. 

Which would be covered by marketing them as a pro range, aimed at a different audience. But it is just a rumour and moving to dropper bottles is one I’ve heard about half a bajillion times over the years.

4 minutes ago, EthanolMuffins said:

Slaanesh will probably get a big update/expansion when they have them break free in the lore

I guess when (or if) that happens the whole daemon side will get updated. But all the mono-god factions are still using daemon models that predate AoS, aren't they? 

I'm not sure Hedonites need any major expansions. Give me a new iteration of the Lord on Boobsnake model, a new Azazel, and maybe an avarice-themed character, and I'd be happy! Even that feels wishlisty. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

All models eventually get replaced. Of course, older WHFB models are primed to be replaced, too.

But the real question is, given what we currently know about how GW is handling old world, which models are likely to be moved to that game outside of the normal refresh/replacement cycle? In my opinion, since spider riders and arachnaroks stuck with us through the Orcs and Goblins Old World release and the AoS edition change, they are with us until they get replaced with a new AoS kit.

This is in contrast to the likes of Beasts of Chaos or the current Cities dwarves.

We are still establishing, it is weird as we are close to being on the 10th anniversary. Until a subfaction formed by WHFB minis gets a refresh, there are chances of being removed completely. Especially in this case, as it looks like Gitmob could be their replacement.

19 minutes ago, EthanolMuffins said:

On the mono god topic, I think we will probably see Khorne sometime next year, hopefully with a new Valkia model too

I do hope we get a big refresh/expansion for Tzeentch, namely cause he’s my favorite one

Nurgle models are in a great place with the odd model or two needing an update, Slaanesh will probably get a big update/expansion when they have them break free in the lore

There was the rumour about new demons being launched for 40k and being shared with AoS.

5 minutes ago, RetconnedLegion said:

Which would be covered by marketing them as a pro range, aimed at a different audience. But it is just a rumour and moving to dropper bottles is one I’ve heard about half a bajillion times over the years.

If the dropper bottles are true, I think they will be limited to a small range (20-30 bottles) of various colours, aimed squarely at "pro painters". 

It's worth noting that the "pro painting" market is the only one GW hasn't really cornered or made and serious inroads towards. Ranged like Vallejo, Taimiya or Army painter are normally the go to, and the quality of GW paint varies from pot to pot. Sycorax bronze is a horrible metal to work with for example and their metals have a tendency to clog and when the liquid separates.