The Rumour Thread

57 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

I am not confident with Battleforce with each Battletome like in 40k. They didn't announced that with the AoS Roadmap but 40k has that

Also AoS has less units per army on average than 40k. So it would be harder to fill Battleforces for each army without overlapping alot with earlier boxsets and especially future Christmas Battleforces, which GW normally tends to avoid if they can.

VS-boxes were you would only need half as many units per army would make more sense

Edited by Matrindur

5 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

Also AoS has less units per army on average than 40k. So it would be harder to fill Battleforces for each army without overlapping alot with earlier boxsets and especially future Christmas Battleforces, which GW normally tends to avoid if they can.

VS-boxes were you would only need half as many units per army would make more sense

VS-boxes were a complete fail. AoS will only receive Armyboxes if they still sell well (but Darkoath didn't do it so...)

6 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

VS-boxes were a complete fail. AoS will only receive Armyboxes if they still sell well (but Darkoath didn't do it so...)

Darkoath didn't sell well? I see more copies of army boxes like the CoS or FEC one than the Darkoath one.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I would opt for a questor, as they tend to be in that kind of UW groups.

well, none of the UW stormcast bands has had a questor before, so some variant of the duelist could be a nice fit. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

New minis locked behind armyboxes is a terrible, customer-unfriendly way of releasing stuff. 

Imagine the sheer pain and massive, no, gigantic trauma they‘ve caused me when the Curseling was locked in a box full of Lumineth!

I blame Slaanesh! 

I got lucky though and found a great deal on ebay for the Curseling himself back then - I paid less than retail when he came out by himself! That was fate (or just an awesome guy who didn’t want to rip his customers off). 🥰

I guess there‘s always hope after al-

image.png.c497bdc136d9e7743a414d549e36993e.png

Ouch! Ok, ok, I‘ll stop! 

Edited by MitGas
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Darkoath didn't sell well? I see more copies of army boxes like the CoS or FEC one than the Darkoath one.

Still see it somewhere, but honestly think part of it can come from the fact that it was a box that launched just at the very very end of an edition. I really wanted it myself, but passed to get Skaventide with hopes a Darkoath Spearhead would eventually come out so wehay to that happening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

Still see it somewhere, but honestly think part of it can come from the fact that it was a box that launched just at the very very end of an edition. I really wanted it myself, but passed to get Skaventide with hopes a Darkoath Spearhead would eventually come out so wehay to that happening.

That's true. I don't remember if it was launched when we already had a promo of Skaventide, but it is not the best time to sell an army box.

19 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

That's true. I don't remember if it was launched when we already had a promo of Skaventide, but it is not the best time to sell an army box.

Yeah we had already seen the box if I recall and Darkoath box came out a month before AoS 4.0 with the rulebook that was going to be useless in a few weeks. Between Skaventide and Darkoath box the Skaventide just was way more value.

I think if VS boxes failed (I don't have the numbers on them) it might be because they usually just included 1 new hero per army and coupled it with some of the most undesirable (either in terms of power, in terms of sculpts or in terms of being ubiquitous in every other box) kits in the army. Not even to mention locking that hero behind a box for up to a year.

That said, I did love them to start an army. Fury of the Deep was a great deal to me, as was Aether War. I could split both with friends.

I also love the Battleforce boxes. They're thematically great and usually a very good deal. There has not been one for an army I collect or want to collect yet however, but I would be unable to stop myself from buying one for FS, KO or IDK.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Snarff said:

I think if VS boxes failed (I don't have the numbers on them) it might be because they usually just included 1 new hero per army and coupled it with some of the most undesirable (either in terms of power, in terms of sculpts or in terms of being ubiquitous in every other box) kits in the army. Not even to mention locking that hero behind a box for up to a year.

That said, I did love them to start an army. Fury of the Deep was a great deal to me, as was Aether War. I could split both with friends.

IMO a clue that we are shifting away from the VS boxes is the upcoming narrative book. Before the little narrative supplements were part of those VS boxes. If we are getting them as stand-alone books, it could mean no more VS boxes.

8 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Don't blame us.... It's you who's secretly enjoying the pain. 

I‘m an entitled manchild, my only tool for dealing with unfortunate events is to blame others! ✌️

Slaanesh it is, sorry! 😎

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

The Darkoath expansion also came out with only a few weeks left in 3rd. It was a running joke whether people would even have time to paint them before the edition change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Darkoath armyset seems to have been  sold out worldwide on the webstore .dEQyED4.jpeg

First balance pass of 4.0 (including points changes) is here.

PDF link.

That’s your top-level review, but there are plenty more changes, with points adjustments on more than 250 units, updates to frequently asked questions and more. You can expect monthly FAQ updates towards the end of each month to adjust any issues that crop up, as well as bigger adjustments in our quarterly battlescroll updates. As always, please send your feedback to aosfaq@gwplc.com to let the team know what you think and if there are any issues that you’d like to see addressed in the next update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Vs boxes were always a tough sell for me just because I'm unlikely to pick one up unless it happens to feature two armies I already collect/am interested in.  The extra hassle of selling off the unwanted sprues was not worth a new hero and random assortment of stuff I might actually use, imo.

• Like 2

I don't mind Versus boxes because if you can sell the army you don't play (Ebay, FB Marketplace, etc) and combine it with the savings of stuff you actually want, they've usually worked out pretty good for the wallet.

Army Boxes aren't bad, but they usually have less of a saving. It's better than nothing of course, but if you only want the models out of it and aren't needing the Battletome/cards you can probably just wait for the Spearhead a few months later (if it takes that long, even) that will likely contain the same models for £20+ cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I don't mind Versus boxes because if you can sell the army you don't play on Ebay and combine it with the savings of stuff you actually want, they've usually worked out pretty good for the wallet.

Army Boxes aren't bad, but they usually have less of a saving. It's better than nothing of course, but if you only want the models out of it and aren't needing the Battletome/cards you can probably just wait for the Spearhead that will likely contain the same models for £20+ cheaper.

IMO it is the other way around. I've purchased all the VS boxes of the third edition purely for the narrative book, and the CoS and FEC army boxes multiple times to get more units.

BTs are not hard to sell at all, and the savings from an army box are way better than the ones from spearheads. Also, I never had a problem selling both sides of the VS boxes, and I think an army box and a VS box are around the same level, and spearheads are a couple of steps below in terms of savings.

50 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Darkoath armyset seems to have been  sold out worldwide on the webstore .dEQyED4.jpeg

I remember around the time that the WoC AJ dropped that the armybox was still available. Or atleast I think it was. I think they just removed it from the GW store.

The online stores I use still have it. The prices varies between 120 and 145 euro.

image.png.bcf791cb1a1626d4d2a6aaa62b52051f.png

Darkoath suffered from a combination of timing (just before Skaventide and 4e) and being about Darkoath, a minor theme in a larger faction, and not everyone wants to field maraunders. I think it did well enough, but I can see the reasons why you can still find it.

If GW would release spearhead vs spearhead boxes I would buy them all. :D

58 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Some pretty good changes in there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Darkoath suffered from a combination of timing (just before Skaventide and 4e) and being about Darkoath, a minor theme in a larger faction, and not everyone wants to field maraunders.

Speaking for myself, it was the removal of the Mark of Chaos option that made them unappealing. I'm petty like that. 

• Like 1