The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Chikout said:

AoS does have hero customisation including mounts. The anvil of apotheosis will be in every battletome. It provides almost exactly what everyone says they want. They even have points. 

Yep, but people want it outside of the Anvil xD 

Just now, AquaRegis said:

Why take a chaos lord on Foot, when you can pay a bit more and take a mounted option, with better offensive and defensive options?

Agree, but AoS already has the tools to make a clear diference between both units:

1. Points. Foot-heroes should cost a lot less.
  2. Synergies between keywords and Detachment Slots: Lord-Terminos on foot has a chain-fight ability and the option to have a Fight-First (Artifact), with a 5" move.  Lord-Vigilant on Gryph-stalker can take the same artifact too and has a nice 12" move, but can't chain-fight with another Ruination unit (Reclusians have a 5" move, so 12" move is not important). In the end, if you take Reclusians, the Lord-Terminos on foot can have awesome synergies without paying more (point 1).
  3. Guarded Heroes & Anti-Monster: If most big-dudes are Monsters, and we have an USR for Anti-Monster and most of them can be targeted outside of 12".  The Foot-Heroe must be targeted by Anti-Infantry or enemy units need to come closer to kill him.

The tools are there, the problem is when they are not used. Btw, I'm going to take Brokk in my next game let's see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

That's a bit strange, because you can do a lot with a griffon, different bird heads, rear legs, pose and the overall look instead of just stealing the Manticore from WoC. I mean it's AoS, so just taking the Manticore from WoC is the easy option.

Also if CoS doesn't get a replacement for the old Warhammer griffon and black dragon and is only stuck with a named character on a manticore. It's a loss for the army.

Same for WoC, if there isn't a replacement for the Manticore, it's a loss for the army. 

I agree, they definitely need to keep a gryphon or something around for contrast. Vedra can't be the odd one out if there is no "normal" monster as base line.

But I think we will get that. The designers seemed pretty aware of the need for grounding when they were talking about the design of Cities.

Also, the black dragon is not going anywhere, Dark Elves are not a core ToW faction. It's a big kit so they will keep it in production as long as they can.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Dragons are an Order race.

Indeed with dracothion who is allied with sigmar, but there is always a room for a dark dragon brother who turned to chaos with some of his sons ;) 

Actually there is not only one "dragon godbeast" as there is also vulcatrix (not a classic dragon but still) and Ignax (her daughter) amongst the most known

Edited by Vagard
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chikout said:

AoS does have hero customisation including mounts. The anvil of apotheosis will be in every battletome. It provides almost exactly what everyone says they want. They even have points. 

Theoretical yes. Practical it's a big no. It just doesn't work in our gaming group. It would have worked if it was included in the indexes, but not like it is now. My main army is WoC. I will have acces to the apotheosis very soon. The rest of our small group not, they will have to wait until their BT is released. Maybe it is next year, maybe at the end of the edition. Who knows.

So the anvil of apotheosis sounds good, but doesn't work at all, as not everybody has acces to it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

So the anvil of apotheosis sounds good, but doesn't work at all, as not everybody has acces to it.

Woe to the player whose battletome comes last at the end of the edition.

16 minutes ago, Beliman said:

To be fair, I prefer if we had a few big tables with a lot of Artifacts and Heroic Traits. Maybe with points, I don't care. And use keywords for balance purpose.

At this point, I believe GW should make an entire new game system around the Path to Glory, a bit like Spearhead is its own game separate to matched play AoS. Focus on narrative and band evolution, and forget about point totalitarism. Like Kill Team or Spearhead, no point shenanigan, you just take x members / units with specific options.

Give narrative play its own balance, and don't try to make it fit in matched play metabalance (because it's never going to work since the game philosophy is completely different). Looks like to me it's the best answer to have.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Woe to the player whose battletome comes last at the end of the edition.

At this point, I believe GW should make an entire new game system around the Path to Glory, a bit like Spearhead is its own game separate to matched play AoS. Focus on narrative and band evolution, and forget about point totalitarism. Like Kill Team or Spearhead, no point shenanigan, you just take x members with specific options.

Give narrative play its own balance, and don't try to make it fit in matched play metabalance (because it's never going to work since the game philosophy is completely different). Looks like to me it's the best answer to have.

In 1e and 2e path to glory didn't use points. ;)

Just now, PraetorDragoon said:

In 1e and 2e path to glory didn't use points. ;)

Yep, but some people were still complaining about balance because in the end, it was treated like regular AoS.

Spearhead looks like it's using the same core system, but it actually plays different because of the cards. Maybe Path to Glory could use some of the same ideas.

7 minutes ago, Vagard said:

Did games workshop erased all traces of the hobbit minis? I don't find them on their website anymore... Unless they have been shifted to forgeworld? 

There's clearly a new version of LOTR coming, based on the anime that will be released out end of this year. May be why, since the proportions are different.

That's why they're previewing some new minis like recently on Warhammer Community.

• Like 1

Just now, Sarouan said:

There's clearly a new version of LOTR coming, based on the anime that will be released out end of this year. May be why, since the proportions are different.

That's why they're previewing some new minis like recently on Warhammer Community.

Actually I fond them but there is no choice between "middle earth" and "the hobbit" like before, the filter is not very useful to find what I want... 

But yes they are definitely redisigning the brand and it is for the best ! I hope they will also do minis based on Rings of Power 

So after a little investigation we have another "weird file " on Chaos Lord 

Apparently the STD Chaos lord inside the spearhead has been remoulded in year 2022 with STD release 

99120201126_S2DVanguardSpure01.jpg?fm=we

The original Chaos Lord from Warhammer fantasy and retuned to ToW is from year 2012 with square base sculpted .

Gf1vBGf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cyrus said:

The original Chaos Lord from Warhammer fantasy and retuned to ToW is from year 2012 with square base sculpted .

Same for all ToW kits that comes from last edition of Warhammer Battle. Not really surprising.

1 minute ago, cyrus said:

Apparently the STD Chaos lord inside the spearhead has been remoulded in year 2022 with STD release 

Gf1vBGf.jpeg

That's interesting and quite ingenious. I wonder which other minis from WFB had their molds retooled for AoS like that. 

It's a great way to save money, and "salvage" great miniatures (because let's face it 2012 was only 12 years ago, this mini is not old and looks pretty sick ! Also the assembly is very reminiscent of modern GW kits).

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

At this point, I believe GW should make an entire new game system around the Path to Glory, a bit like Spearhead is its own game separate to matched play AoS. Focus on narrative and band evolution, and forget about point totalitarism. Like Kill Team or Spearhead, no point shenanigan, you just take x members / units with specific options.

Sadly, even if they could do a good job with that, it will never be played with my gaming group, so...

12 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Sadly, even if they could do a good job with that, it will never be played with my gaming group, so...

That just means they were never interested to tell a story with their games, that's all. Better to find other like-minded people for that, or use a solo game system.

22 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Gf1vBGf.jpeg

Wow. Then it could be that he is there to stay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sarouan said:

That just means they were never interested to tell a story with their games, that's all. Better to find other like-minded people for that, or use a solo game system.

You don't know anything my gaming group and you just said that they are not interested in to telling a story in their games... just wow...

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Vagard said:

But yes they are definitely redisigning the brand and it is for the best ! I hope they will also do minis based on Rings of Power 

They don't have the rights to it. GW's deal is with New Line/Warner, not with Amazon. GW can legally only do stuff from their film adaptations of Tolkien, and also the appendix to LOTR and their own stuff (like how they tried to create new stuff for Harad/Easterlings to mixed results and sometimes grumpy comments from the Tolkien Estate). They can't go back to do official stuff adapted from the Silmarillion, or ROP for that matter because that would require a new deal with the Tolkien family or Amazon.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

You don't know anything my gaming group and you just said that they are not interested in to telling a story in their games... just wow...

And you don't know about what could happen if GW did the Spearhead treatment to narrative play, but you already decide your gaming group will have nothing to do with it anyway, so yeah, my take is as best as yours on that matter.

If you give up on your gaming group, find something else, that's the best answer IMHO.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Wow. Then it could be that he is there to stay.

It definitely seems so ! 

27 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

That's interesting and quite ingenious. I wonder which other minis from WFB had their molds retooled for AoS like that. 

It's a great way to save money, and "salvage" great miniatures (because let's face it 2012 was only 12 years ago, this mini is not old and looks pretty sick ! Also the assembly is very reminiscent of modern GW kits).

It is . I think it is worthy for hero minis and not very old .

At this point I think we wouldn't get a new Chaos lord on foot and the existing spearhead will stay untouched.

Still some chance for a regular Chaos sorcerer on foot and maybe new chaos spawn ( year 2007) , in addition to confirmed Darkoath spearhead .

Edited by cyrus