The Rumour Thread

Tyrion will get his miniature at some point and he will be probably be accompanied by Ur Phoenix , in the same manner as Celennar accompanies Teclis .

We had also a hint from long missed Whitefang about  phoenix temple/phoenix guard coming back in form of Lumineth miniatures.

phoenix_battalion.png

Edited by cyrus
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

Isn’t that just a demigod at that point? 

Again, that really depends on your definition of a god and even a demigod. As AoS draws a lot of inspiration from Norse mythology, I think it makes most sense to compare them to gods in Norse mythology. And they are powerful, but also very much mortal (see the entirety of Ragnarök and the deaths of Thor, Odin, Baldr, etc.).

Just because most popular modern religions depict a singular omnipotent god who doesn't intervene in mortal matters as the highest being does not mean AoS has to follow those rules. We know AoS gods are mortal. Even the Chaos Gods can be seriously hurt (see Plague Garden and how Nurgle got hurt by the Steel Souls; the book even implies he and his domain can potentially be destroyed).

I like how AoS handles gods. I like that gods are mortal and can be hurt, and I think it would take away from the story if they were not or there were any immortal beings that were even more powerful than the gods. The fact that those don't exist make it even cooler that we can field the gods themselves.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Again, that really depends on your definition of a god and even a demigod. As AoS draws a lot of inspiration from Norse mythology, I think it makes most sense to compare them to gods in Norse mythology. And they are powerful, but also very much mortal (see the entirety of Ragnarök and the deaths of Thor, Odin, Baldr, etc.).

Just because most popular modern religions depict a singular omnipotent god who doesn't intervene in mortal matters as the highest being does not mean AoS has to follow those rules. We know AoS gods are mortal. Even the Chaos Gods can be seriously hurt (see Plague Garden and how Nurgle got hurt by the Steel Souls; the book even implies he and his domain can potentially be destroyed).

I like how AoS handles gods. I like that gods are mortal and can be hurt, and I think it would take away from the story if they were not or there were any immortal beings that were even more powerful than the gods. The fact that those don't exist make it even cooler that we can field the gods themselves.

Are AoS gods mortals? I thought they could not die, as per Grimnir.

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

No, that I find even a worse idea, as it devalutes them. If they have to be in game, they should be powerful as they are gods afterall.

Personally I would prefer that GW would integrate more heralds, champions, chosen ones of the gods in AoS.  Don't get me wrong, I like Tyrion and Malekith and etc.. but I will prefer them more if they ever make an appereance in TOW, when they were not gods. Than them being introduced as mini's in AoS representing gods.

If there is ever a Tyrion and Malerion release, than I hope they will send their champions to lead their armies on the battlefield instead of giving them mini's.

The concept of Primarchs is something totally different than the beings Teclis and Tyrion and etc became in AoS.

The primarchs and big AOS heroes are 100% staying around, and probably going to be seeing more releases. 

There is some speculation that 40K is going to be bringing back the emperor as a model, which will be in a female form (heavily hinted at in a novel that he/she will return).  If that is true then Sigmar himself will probably be next. 

I really hope this is not the case for both games though. One of the key pillars for 40k is that the Emperor is a corpse god, and Sigmar is way better suited to being a slightly mysterious Odin like figure. Having a 900pt Sigmar model running around and insta killing any infantry he touches would be really lame. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

They can die, but at the same time they are not mortals, eventualy they can come back. At the same time, i think there are many levels and kinds of gods, and some are more prone to die and come back to life (nagash, alarielle, teclis) and for some other that could be much more dificult (grimnir, eventualy kragnos?)

4 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

They definitely are. Deities in the Mortal Realms include Godbeasts (many of whom have been slain). Many death Gods were eaten by Nagash. Godsbane is about a weapon that is made to kill gods. Mathlann was eaten by Slaanesh. There are most likely a lot more examples that I can't think of right now from the top of my head.

It's true that Grimnir did not fully die, but him coming back/being reborn is partially because of the belief of his followers.

3 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Imo, this should be the case for all godlike beings. They have no place on the battlefield. I don't need to see Malerion as a mini, but would love to see his army.

Hard disagree.

AoS setting interests me specifically because of the god models. I love the norse mythology influences. Where else can I potentially field the elf god of shadows and his army? To me, that's the appeal over the old world, KoW, warcrow, ASOIAF or other games I enjoy. AoS is big and over the top, it's why it's great imo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

"Die" in the looses terms

God can be shatter and devoure but just as easily ressurected if the condition are met. Like the whole dlc of Cursed city was the god of the forgotten dead who was previously devoured by nagash getting the defenders to ressurect him and dipped before Nagash took notice

To quote the still worshippers of Ghazul

"And yet, what is death to a god? Dust and less than dust."

there even reincarnation and that whole thing. The reason why the asur gods couldn't be brought back was due to slaanesh devouring and even than with Krethusa we seen there was still some shard of them left that mange to escape and be brought back

Gods "dying" isn't that serious barring the most rare of outliers 

Edited by Dragon-knight77
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

As of TEATD 3, Ascended Horus was beating the Emperor like a rented mule and literally had to throw the fight in order to actually be defeated. 

Okay, they do rewrite fluff like mad and they are at that part now in the books, so figures… could be like that now - it wasn‘t like that before. But the HH books vary extremely in quality, some things get ruined by the added in stuff, other things exalted. I hope the new Horus vs Emp stuff falls in the latter as I’d like to read a long version of it! Thanks for sharing! 

23 minutes ago, AquaRegis said:

The primarchs and big AOS heroes are 100% staying around, and probably going to be seeing more releases. 

There is some speculation that 40K is going to be bringing back the emperor as a model, which will be in a female form (heavily hinted at in a novel that he/she will return).  If that is true then Sigmar himself will probably be next. 

I really hope this is not the case for both games though. One of the key pillars for 40k is that the Emperor is a corpse god, and Sigmar is way better suited to being a slightly mysterious Odin like figure. Having a 900pt Sigmar model running around and insta killing any infantry he touches would be really lame. 

God no, no fempress. I want a special edition mini of the Emperor like we know him… either as a skeleton on his golden toilet or as a handsome Winnetou-looking guy! Or as a statue.

I don‘t want to see the Emperor ingame at all.some beings are too powerful to feel right on the battlefield! 

54 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

I could make a joke about religion, but it’s such a low hanging fruit Tantalus wouldn’t trust it.

You’re a clever one! 👏🫶 

I‘m thirsting (like Tantalus) to hear it now tho if your excuse not to post it is already this clever! 🥰

(I love Greek mythology too)

27 minutes ago, Red Bull said:

Hard disagree.

AoS setting interests me specifically because of the god models. I love the norse mythology influences. Where else can I potentially field the elf god of shadows and his army? To me, that's the appeal over the old world, KoW, warcrow, ASOIAF or other games I enjoy. AoS is big and over the top, it's why it's great imo

It seems to me that AoS is more influenced by the haydays of the Marvel movies, which ofcourse are heavly influenced by Norse, Greek and etc mythology.

I think you are over exaggerating the power level of the big centerpieces in AoS. Teclis could perfectly have the same warscroll, while not being the God of those poor Lumineths, but just by being their supreme archmage and there could still be a proper god above him.

If we compare AoS and TOW, the centerpieces of both games are the same level of power. There is no difference between a tooled up Chaos Sorcerer lord with the Mark of Tzeentch on a Chaos dragon and the AoS version of Teclis. Both will take around the same % of points from your army. The only difference is that one is just a Chaos Sorcerer lord and the other one is a god of a whole race.

Although there is one small difference, the chaos sorcerer lord would kick Teclis his butt in melee. 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I think you are over exaggerating the power level of the big centerpieces in AoS. Teclis could perfectly have the same warscroll, while not being the God of those poor Lumineths, but just by being their supreme archmage and there could still be a proper god above him.If we compare AoS and TOW, the centerpieces of both games are the same level of power. There is no difference between a tooled up Chaos Sorcerer lord with the Mark of Tzeentch on a Chaos dragon and the AoS version of Teclis. Both will take around the same % of points from your army.

I never said anything about power levels?

The only difference is that one is just a Chaos Sorcerer lord and the other one is a god of a whole race

that's a big difference to me 

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

It seems to me that AoS is more influenced by the haydays of the Marvel movies,

in what ways?

but than that yeah agree with the rest

1 hour ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Reminder that in the original Greek myth of the Trojan War Diomedes, a mortal human (not even a demigod like so many Greek heroes), was able to seriously wound Ares. 

this

also Jacob out-wrestle God/An angle in the bible, Hercules multiple times during his mortal demigod days, The Hero twins manage to defeat the Death Lords of Xibalba of Aztec mythology, The Celtic god of light Lugh was killed by the mortals Mac Cuill, Mac Cecht, and Mac Greine ect. ect.

it not really a new concept in mythology

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

Teclis could perfectly have the same warscroll, while not being the God of those poor Lumineths, but just by being their supreme archmage and there could still be a proper god above him.

But why does there have to be a 'proper' god above him when he is already a proper god? Why does there have to be anyone above him? That's what I don't understand. I love AoS exactly because I can field Teclis as the leader of a faction, THE best Lumineth mage and god of the Lumineth. The gods don't just sit around and do nothing tangible, they fight alongside their own armies. You can have a grudge match between Idoneth and their creator who abandoned them. You can fight Sylvaneth including their goddess bringing down the wrath of the forest on your army herself. It's very on par with e.g. Norse and Greek mythologies to have the gods actually taking the field, and it's a breath of fresh air from the IMO very overused 'near-omnipotent god that never actually acts because he works in mysterious ways' trope.

And if you don't want to do those things, you have the choice to not use the models as well or pretend that they are just avatars/projections. If you like making your own heroes, Path to Glory and the upcoming faction-specific Anvils of Apotheosis allow you to do exactly that. If you like playing with 'regular' armies of unnamed soldiers, you can also do exactly that.

The fact that all those things are possible elevates AoS for me. I love the craziness of the setting, with gods actually doing something and fighting battles, wild magic taking the form of endless spells and really fun twists on existing tropes. My friend has a more gritty CoS army that he customized. We can fight each other perfectly fine in this setting, and I love that! There's something there for everyone, and the setting allows you to customize your armies as little or as much as you want.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AquaRegis said:

this sounds like a lie to generate outrage bait tbqh, fem version or not. The absolute most I could see the Emperor showing up as is a psychic manifestation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

this sounds like a lie to generate outrage bait tbqh, fem version or not. The absolute most I could see the Emperor showing up as is a psychic manifestation

If anything they should go the starchild route… but even better: leave him the way he is. I‘d hate to see a model that is going to be used in standard 40k matches tho, classic god-emperor, a new female version, the starchild… any of those. I‘d like a cool statue of him as terrain tho! 

Edited by MitGas

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Isn't it the 'as long as someone out there believes in you' kind of arrangement?

To some extent, at least. We know there are Morrda worshippers, for example. Kind of gives GW a chance to keep offing and bringing back the same big ion-world players, every now and again with a refreshed sculpt, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Isn't it the 'as long as someone out there believes in you' kind of arrangement?

That more in terms of their (im using this word cause of lack any better) power levels

Mathlaan is worship throughout the Idoneth but cause he was devoure by slaanesh he not back same thing happen when teclis try to bring him and the rest of the Asur gods back when Cythai was first. 

There has to be a spark and ember and the faith is the fuel to the fire

It how Oroboros (the snake god in Sahkr base) was defted when his worshippers was destroyed and dwindle in power to allow nagash to devoure yet there still remain the avatar the nulamia has to control less it return back to power

image.jpeg.42a38bcbe17050fbd2c741da80982a8e.jpeg

46 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Yeah, that's why I hoping it's not true and is just bait posting. 

I hope he just stays dead on his throne. 

All this talk of Gods reminds me of this excerpt from the 3rd Edition Slaves to Darkness Battletome - 

Screenshot 2024-10-02 202454.jpg

I have always considered the models of various "Gods" and "Demi-Gods" to be avatars or shards. AoS also embraces the Saturday Morning Cartoon and Comic "NERD" rule in that Nobody Ever Really Dies. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 1