The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Good. Only remaining kits shared cross-factions are : DOK/COS the Darkshard / White haired dudes and SBGL/FEC with the Crypt monsters and dragons, right ?

BTW if the existing STD spearhead remain alongside the new Darkoath one, it means STD will stil share the Chariot with WOC in TOW ? Strange 

I would assume that the old spearhead gets removed from shelves and the rules remain, like in 40k

3 hours ago, pnkdth said:

Having finally had the change look things over I'd say the Skaven got the best of this one. Super cool lil ratty sculpts. A+

S2D... The BT cover looks bland (did they forget to add a background?). The most important part, however, will be what's inside. While a hero release is disappointing, the models itself is great and I will be picking up just to make something cool with it. A mixed bag and I was hoping for more of a "WOW!" factor. 

Won't bring me back to AoS but there's lots of tomes and releases to come. That said, UWs looks interesting since I more and more tend to opt for smaller scale games (or board games such as Zombicide and similar). So in the end, I suppose I got a fair bit out it in the end, how about that? 

It is how the BTs look now. They have the logo of the faction in the back.

battletome-skaven-ingles.jpg

SCE_StormcastEternalsBattletome2024_Preview.jpg

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Is it me or do the AoS battleforces offer much better value than the 40k one ? Apart from the Dark Angels and Knights one, none of them scream "good deal" to me. Instead, they remind me how expensive 40k has gotten $/€/£ to points wise, especially the Sisters/Battlesuits one.

Meanwhile, they're throwing stuff like 6 Morbhegs, 20 Ardboyz, 4 Pusgoyles... in the AoS battleforces. 

It has always been the case. AoS tends to have better boxes and they are always a bit cheaper.

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

I know people complained about the 1 hero per tome release, but for armies that already have a lot or recently received a big wave I think it's completely fine. It allows them to focus on other armies, but still give some new goodies to an army each edition.

StD received multiple big waves last edition (knights, darkoath) plus some separate releases (Abraxia) plus a ton of warcry warbands, part of which entered the range permanently. Thats more kits than some entire armies consist of. If any army would be fine with one hero along with their tome, it would be StD.

Other armies like SCE, FeC, SBGL, Sylvaneth, Seraphon, CoS, Ironjawz also got substantial waves quite recently. I'd be fine with them just getting a hero alongside their tome too. They can always be expanded later on in the edition. There are armies that have been left in the dust for far longer, who are in desparate need of a bigger release. Ogors being the worst of all.

Also, this quiet release for S2D breaks the theory that the factions receiving something at the end of the edition campaign are those that receive something major the next edition. Unless they launch something for S2D later on, which is also a possibility.

1 hour ago, Acrozatarim said:

If they're planning to do literally every battletome next year, like the road map seems to suggest, then a lot of them will be only small miniature releases by sheer necessity.

If that is the case... I'm not sure what the edition plan will be, exactly, but it seems to suggest larger expansions to some factions might come later, in some form?

I think that was just them not picking the best wording.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

BTW if the existing STD spearhead remain alongside the new Darkoath one, it means STD will stil share the Chariot with WOC in TOW ? Strange 

It seems they're happy to have the chariot be in both games. I doubt they're going to scrap the chariot in the new Slaves to Darkness Battletome. And I doubt there's going to be a new model now. So... hey-ho. 

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Two armyboxes one next after the other seem a bit of an overkill. I am still thinking about the comment from WF JR, maybe the boxset is not an armybox but a spearhead or a battleforce.

He said box set otherwise he should have said spearhead/ battleforce .

To me the (awful) roadmap shows until first quarter of 2025 

AoS_Roadmap_Q4-2024-1024x576.jpg

September: Skaven huge release

October : Stormcast big relese

November : STD hero+ spearhead

December: Santa is coming to town 🎅 

January : Orruks hero+ spearhead (+ 2 dominion returning heroes)

February : Gitz armybox + individual realeses

March : Soulblight Armybox ( Deathrattle/Zombie dragon)

We should consider that from January 2025 to December 2026 ( 24 months) they need to release 21 battletomes . Usually last 6 months of the edition are covered by campaign releases.

Edited by cyrus

32 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

That release peace is unsustainable for AoS. The BTs have to be released quicker. Also, we have Warcry new edition, if there's one.

How do you think it will be than? Imo, @Chikout release schedule feels plausible.

With AoS 3rd they managad to release 10 BT's in the year following the new edition. But almost all of them were single miniature releases + BT.

If the new BT's are almost a copy paste of the index (like Skaven), than it doesn't really matter ruleswise if GW releases more or less BT's per year, as it doesn't have an impact on the game itself, as all the rules of your faction for matched play/tournament play are already here.

If it is indeed the case that indexes are just copied in the BT's with some little tweaks, but no expansion of artefacts, spells and etc.. than I prefer a slower BT release, but that each BT release exist out more than only a single foot hero.

We will see, but next year even more games/miniatures are competing for the same amount of release slots.

A single new miniature for your army combined with a copy paste of the index doesn't generate hype at all.

In comparison with 3rd, there were indeed way to many single mini + BT releases, but the key difference was that the BT's added a lot of new stuff ruleswise. New ways to play your army. If the indexes aren't expanded, than well.. not much to look forward for armies that only get a single mini.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

How do you think it will be than? Imo, @Chikout release schedule feels plausible.

With AoS 3rd they managad to release 10 BT's in the year following the new edition. But almost all of them were single miniature releases + BT.

If the new BT's are almost a copy paste of the index (like Skaven), than it doesn't really matter ruleswise if GW releases more or less BT's per year, as it doesn't have an impact on the game itself, as all the rules of your faction for matched play/tournament play are already here.

If it is indeed the case that indexes are just copied in the BT's with some little tweaks, but no expansion of artefacts, spells and etc.. than I prefer a slower BT release, but that each BT release exist out more than only a single foot hero.

We will see, but next year even more games/miniatures are competing for the same amount of release slots.

A single new miniature for your army combined with a copy paste of the index doesn't generate hype at all.

In comparison with 3rd, there were indeed way to many single mini + BT releases, but the key difference was that the BT's added a lot of new stuff ruleswise. New ways to play your army. If the indexes aren't expanded, than well.. not much to look forward for armies that only get a single mini.

I am just going to quote @cyrus from the post above, as it is perfect:

We should consider that from January 2025 to December 2026 ( 24 moths) they need to release 21 battletomes . Usually last 6 months of the edition are covered by campaign releases.

With the schedule that @Chikout put it would leave us with 18 months for 18 factions for the rest of the edition.

18 minutes ago, cyrus said:

He said box set otherwise he should have said spearhead/ battleforce .

To me the (awful) roadmap shows until first quarter of 2025 

AoS_Roadmap_Q4-2024-1024x576.jpg

September: Skaven huge release

October : Stormcast big relese

November : STD hero+ spearhead

December: Santa is coming to town 🎅 

January : Orruks hero+ spearhead (+ 2 dominion returning heroes)

February : Gitz armybox + individual realeses

March : Soulblight Armybox ( Deathrattle/Zombie dragon)

We should consider that from January 2025 to December 2026 ( 24 months) they need to release 21 battletomes . Usually last 6 months of the edition are covered by campaign releases.

Are people reading the 2025 “road map” top to bottom? Because to me it looks like that gold line from 2024 goes across the bottom and up, suggesting at death would be the first release in 2025? (After spearheads)

(Again it’s absolutely woeful, so I may be completely wrong) 

Edited by TechnoVampire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Orruks hero+ spearhead

There's been a lot of talk about only getting  a foot hero and I'd kindly like to ask y'all to stop as I don't like it. 😜

13 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Usually last 6 months of the edition are covered by campaign releases.

Seems these last 6 + months have been pretty frak all nothing. 

I don't think 2 and a ha... er 3 year edition  cycles are a good idea. With all due respect I don't think Geedubs can handle it as 10th has recieved lackluster reception and 4th, now that the honeymoon phase is over,  has seen its flaws start to shine. 

Not to be all doom and gloom as there's definitely some shining star aspects buuuuut...

5 minutes ago, TechnoVampire said:

Are people reading the 2025 “road map” top to bottom? Because to me it looks like that gold line from 2024 goes across the bottom and up, suggesting at death would be the first release in 2025? (After spearheads)

(Again it’s absolutely woeful, so I may be completely wrong) 

Top to bottom, hehehe.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Tonhel said:

Than it probably means a lot of single miniature + BT releases.

I doubt it, because they will have more capacity from 2026. So even if there's a decent chunk of them getting the basic release, it would increase from 2026.

Been out in the woods this weekend, but surprised we didn’t see the narrative book.

Preview was fine - it was what I expected. We know December is a light month for releases and we more or less know what’s coming in Q4 now. 

Battleforces being largely new models is cool.

15 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

There's been a lot of talk about only getting  a foot hero and I'd kindly like to ask y'all to stop as I don't like it. 😜

Seems these last 6 + months have been pretty frak all nothing. 

I don't think 2 and a ha... er 3 year edition  cycles are a good idea. With all due respect I don't think Geedubs can handle it as 10th has recieved lackluster reception and 4th, now that the honeymoon phase is over,  has seen its flaws start to shine. 

Not to be all doom and gloom as there's definitely some shining star aspects buuuuut...

Exactly. GW increased the amount of BT's/codexes and decreased the edition window and as bonus introduced other games. Probably another reason GW is just copy pasting the indexes in the BT's.

13 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I doubt it, because they will have more capacity from 2026. So even if there's a decent chunk of them getting the basic release, it would increase from 2026.

That's good for 5th edition, but what is produced in 2026 isn't released in 2026... .

There currently is no increase in capacity. So there is no reason to assume GW can release more AoS than the years before. Certainly not with all other stuff GW is releasing / planning to release.

Edited by Tonhel

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Deux armyboxes l'une après l'autre me semblent un peu exagérées. Je réfléchis encore au commentaire de WF JR, peut-être que le coffret n'est pas une armybox mais un fer de lance ou une force de combat.

Dark Angels and T’au Empire …

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, michu said:

Ok, WHU is not as bad as I thought. I have quite a few warbands without cards and now I'll have their rules for free.

I was pleasantly surprised reading that on the WarCom article, given that unlike Kill Team you can't actually buy many of those 58 warbands, however I am fully expecting an article to come closer to launch telling us that only the 20 Warbands you'll be able to purchase will be tournament legal - though with Underworlds having already had 'rotations' for longer than Kill Team that would sting less anyway.

The new Core Game will be your starting point for the entire new edition, which means no new season starter set every six months. Here’s what’s inside the jam-packed box:

Interesting shift, but probably for the best. I know a lot of people who got burnt out feeling they had to buy a new box when it was every 12 months, let alone 6. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ScionOfOssia said:

S2D didn’t need another range expansion while being such a massive tome as-is. 

Wasn't looking for a massive range expansion.  my complaint is that we only see a handful of massive range expansions per edition, which only leaves dev & production time for everyone else to get a pity infantry hero, which is both disappointing and results in infantry hero bloat in an edition that heavily restricts hero availability and a game where infantry heroes are often just bad.

I'd rather see fewer complete overhauls/major expansions (there are only a couple factions left that even heed them anymore), while every faction release gets at least one or two larger boxes - a unit, monster, war machine, or mounted hero, not just another infantry hero.  and while StD didn't need a major overhaul or expansion, they could certainly have stood to replace that manticore or chariot.

I'm not sad about the new sorcerer itself, mind.  it's a nice model, the old one was a bit outdated, since it's a wizard it's actually worth fielding unlike most fighty infantry heroes, and since it's replacing an old model it isn't adding to hero bloat, which is one of my biggest complaints about the 'most factions get a pity hero' paradigm.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

however I am fully expecting an article to come closer to launch telling us that only the 20 Warbands you'll be able to purchase will be tournament legal

preview show already said this.  "if it's legal you'll be able to buy it, on warhammer.com and at your local gaming store".  necessary corollary to that is that anything that isn't available to buy anymore will no longer be legal.

i interpret that not as "we're going to phase out model & card availability slower" but instead as "we're going to phase out rules legality faster."

1 hour ago, zamerion said:

Interesting to read about death.. but... Some clues about gitz armybox? :(

Community consensus is about Gitmob armybox  due to Whitefang ‘s hints and RE 

1D1XLrh.jpeg

1 hour ago, GrimDork said:

The IJ battleforce could give clues to the contents of the upcoming IJ spearhead as they said the battleforces will complement spearheads.

So, possibly gruntas and brutes and a hero?

It could be likely: Megaboss on foot , Brutes and Gruntas 🐗