The Rumour Thread

God these new Stormcast are making me so Tempted to pick up Skaven Tide... I kinda want to paint more of my Black Armoured heroes to exterminate some rats. Another part of me is thinking just the Portal and a centre piece so my partner doesn't kill me for getting a million plastic rodents. 

I was going to use this year to focus on 40k... As tempting as that Tau box looks and as affordable as Custodes are it is hard to resist some angelic palladins to continue to flesh out my little narrative space. image.jpeg.3c0f076391cc4b696e7e902f2ce740ac.jpeg
Plus it is easy to fit Skaven into the setting... My Cities aren't the cleanest place and my Ogors need something to snack on...

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Sception said:

Even factions that DO need new kits might not need new heroes, and even factions that need new heroes often don't need the heroes they've gotten.

Back in second edition FEC desperately needed a refresh of existing models and an expansion of their range, including heroes for both.  A new ghoul king would have been ok, stand along models for their courtiers would have been a godsend, and a named hero would have been great as they didn't have any at the time, which left the aos fiction writers without a strong personality to use to draw them into the game's overall narrative.

What they got instead was the abhorrent archregent, not a new ghoul king on foot but a different unit entirely that functioned as a ghoul king + which immediately rendered regular infantry ghoul kings useless and to this day designers are still struggling to find any design space between them as visually and narratively they're the same bloody thing.

Or OBR in third.  Their initial release wave in second was one of the stronger ones for AoS original factions, no complaints there, but there were some obvious places to expand - a ranged unit, a larger centerpiece monster, maybe monstrous cavaly or some chariot-like bone construct to help flesh out their cavalry based subfaction, etc.  they even had room for more heroes - an infantry liege, morghast hero, stalker/immortis hero, or cavalry caster would have made a ton of sense.  The one thing they didn't need was another infantry caster, since they had a couple of those already and the devs had already demonstrated difficulty destinguishing them mechanically in a way that still made them all worth fielding.

so of course what they got was the ossifector, literally a boneshaper in a different pose arbitrarily forced to be a different unit even though there's nothing visually or thematically distinguishing these models apart from just knowing which was which.  the sad thing is the boneshaper was a useful & important enough hero that many obr players already ran two, and would have appreciated just an alternate pose.

I get that gw prioritizes model design in the sense that the sculptors just make what they want to make without concern for what a faction needs, then the devs just make rules for what they get, but that's kind of a bad system for the game, and even within that system a lot of bad choices have been made.

eg soulblight with over a dozen infantry vamp lord models released since the cursed city refresh if you count special characters, box games, & limited releases, but not a single cavalry vamp lord to ride with the plastic blood knight kit despite an entire subfaction of vampire knights.

or nighthaunt which has so many ancillary heroes choking the range that the devs had to demote one of them a regular unit because otherwise there was no way even half of them would see the table in 4th edition.

I don't know if its just that death factions have been more badly hit by poor choices in hero releases & that's skewing my impression, but it's actively frustrating.  Multiple times I've seen an edition come and go and the only new release some of my armies get is one that makes their model ranges & unit rosters actively worse.

Far too often they don't hit the mark with the faction's needs. I agree on vampires. A zombie or skeleton would also be a good choice for a hero. Not to mention Fyreslayers, where one foot hero is a clone of the previous one. But to be fair, they do hit the mark sometimes: Trugg, The Lady of Vines, Krethusa, and many others.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Asbestress said:

And the only infantry heroes CoS has are the Marshal and Alchemite.

Really hope we get like 3-4 foot heroes in wave 2. An engineer analogue to go with the Cogfort, a battle priest to go between the Steelhelm ones and Zenestra, a Bombardier-Major that was mentioned in Dawnbringers to buff artillery, and maybe some other magic lore themed wizards.

Wave 2?

Btw @Ejecutor Draconith knights are still Extremis Chamber units as of the SEC tome guess that Loremaster video got that wrong

8 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Far too often they don't hit the mark with the faction's needs. I agree with vampires. A zombie or skeleton would also be a good choice for a hero. Not to mention Fyreslayers, where one foot hero is a clone of the previous one. But to be fair, they do hit the mark sometimes: Trugg, The Lady of Vines, Krethusa, and many others.

Also must mention the obvious that it's a refresh of an existing unit 

so it not like it needlessly adding more heroes to a faction that has too many of them

41 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

God these new Stormcast are making me so Tempted to pick up Skaven Tide... I kinda want to paint more of my Black Armoured heroes to exterminate some rats. Another part of me is thinking just the Portal and a centre piece so my partner doesn't kill me for getting a million plastic rodents. 

I was going to use this year to focus on 40k... As tempting as that Tau box looks and as affordable as Custodes are it is hard to resist some angelic palladins to continue to flesh out my little narrative space. image.jpeg.3c0f076391cc4b696e7e902f2ce740ac.jpeg
Plus it is easy to fit Skaven into the setting... My Cities aren't the cleanest place and my Ogors need something to snack on...

I wouldn't wait to long to order it. The shop I follow its Skaventide stock almost decreased with 50% the last 3 weeks. So at this rate it will be sold out at the end of october. I need to decide asap too. 

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

I wouldn't wait to long to order it. The shop I follow its Skaventide stock almost decreased with 50% the last 3 weeks. So at this rate it will be sold out at the end of october. I need to decide asap too. 

I will be waiting as my birthday is coming up and so it will be my present to myself. But I do want to see first as a friend bought me a gift and I am thinking it might be the Kroot Army set or more Cities of Sigmar. If it is the former I really shouldn't be starting an additional army ontop of it. 

1 minute ago, Neverchosen said:

I will be waiting as my birthday is coming up and so it will be my present to myself. But I do want to see first as a friend bought me a gift and I am thinking it might be the Kroot Army set or more Cities of Sigmar. If it is the former I really shouldn't be starting an additional army ontop of it. 

The curse of every hobbyist 😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Asbestress said:

And the only infantry heroes CoS has are the Marshal and Alchemite.

Really hope we get like 3-4 foot heroes in wave 2. An engineer analogue to go with the Cogfort, a battle priest to go between the Steelhelm ones and Zenestra, a Bombardier-Major that was mentioned in Dawnbringers to buff artillery, and maybe some other magic lore themed wizards.

Well, we have Callis and Toll and the Command Corpses now. Plus the UW warbands and Ven Desnt that were there before.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Btw @Ejecutor Draconith knights are still Extremis Chamber units as of the SEC tome guess that Loremaster video got that wrong

Also must mention the obvious that it's a refresh of an existing unit 

so it not like it needlessly adding more heroes to a faction that has too many of them

Yea, in the warcom article it is mentioned as the Extremis RoR and it is two Draconiths.

23 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Gitmob are grots so they can fit in tight spots. 😉

🤘💚🐺

Whitefang’s comment could refer to rumored armoured troggoths .

For Kruleboyz  we could expect in best scenario imho : 1 hero+ 1 unit . 

Big waagh could return in form of army of renown , as per STD “ legion of first prince “.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

If you want it, be fast… I bought myself an early birthday present - the old citadel moonscape craters. Paid like 4 times the original price for it I think… and they don‘t lay completely flat (I‘m a perfectionist), so I‘ll have to fix them… lots of work and hella expensive for what they are…plus they‘re bigger than I expected - what I want to say: whatever you buy, it can‘t be as stupid as my recent purchase! Enjoy being irresponsible for your bday! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

If you want it, be fast… I bought myself an early birthday present - the old citadel moonscape craters. Paid like 4 times the original price for it I think… and they don‘t lay completely flat (I‘m a perfectionist), so I‘ll have to fix them… lots of work and hella expensive for what they are…plus they‘re bigger than I expected - what I want to say: whatever you buy, it can‘t be as stupid as my recent purchase! Enjoy being irresponsible for your bday! 

Love the thought of you working on some rats that may have made a faustian pact with some Tzeentch demons to make more wicked but unstable weapons and monsters. Alternatively having a band of beleaguered stormcast constantly facing the unending winds of change is great to help demo the game for anyone interested lol 

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

You could have done a more stupid purchase. You could have bought lumineth! :D

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Tonhel said:

I don't think that it takes a lot more time to sculpt a monster compared to a hero. I know a sculptor, who recently sculpted a Cygor and he said that it doesn't really take much more time than sculpting a single character. The amount of details and the amount of work is the same, but you just increase the scale of certain parts, all sculpted in Zbrush.

And ofcourse you already have lots of assets you re-use and rescale if necessary. A dragon or another creature with scales or lots of feathers is ofcourse something else.

The difference is I think is with the mould making and mould cost. For a monster you need a bigger mould, so that's a lot more expensive than the small frame that is needed for a foot hero. So I don't think it's sculpting time, but more the budget they want to allocate to each army.

I also know sculptors who work in a variety of mediums and it all depends on how much detail you want to put into it and in what material you're going to produce that model. When working in 3d for making model kits that will be produced through injection molding plastic, like an AoS release would be, then that's the biggest thing. It's easy for a kit to not come out right if there's not the proper attention given to how it divides up into parts on the sprue. A smaller humanoid hero is going to easier to do that with because it's not breaking the body down into too many abstract parts. Remember the problems there were with Krondys when he was first released and his body didn't go together properly in the initial batches? Doing bigger models more frequently is where those issues can slip in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Love the thought of you working on some rats that may have made a faustian pact with some Tzeentch demons to make more wicked but unstable weapons and monsters. Alternatively having a band of beleaguered stormcast constantly facing the unending winds of change is great to help demo the game for anyone interested lol 

Well, I‘m not gonna collect another army but I did promise a friend to help with his rats from his starter set… who knows where it‘ll end. Skaven are awesome but I‘m mostly using my hobby time for scenery… swamps, craters, those Kill team ruins I‘d love to paint. 

If I should get a non-Tzeentchian spearhead though, I think it might be Death. I just love those basic skeltons and Flesheaters are just awesome due to the lore. 🤔

• LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Sception said:

Even factions that DO need new kits might not need new heroes, and even factions that need new heroes often don't need the heroes they've gotten.

Back in second edition FEC desperately needed a refresh of existing models and an expansion of their range, including heroes for both.  A new ghoul king would have been ok, stand along models for their courtiers would have been a godsend, and a named hero would have been great as they didn't have any at the time, which left the aos fiction writers without a strong personality to use to draw them into the game's overall narrative.

What they got instead was the abhorrent archregent, not a new ghoul king on foot but a different unit entirely that functioned as a ghoul king + which immediately rendered regular infantry ghoul kings useless and to this day designers are still struggling to find any design space between them as visually and narratively they're the same bloody thing.

Or OBR in third.  Their initial release wave in second was one of the stronger ones for AoS original factions, no complaints there, but there were some obvious places to expand - a ranged unit, a larger centerpiece monster, maybe monstrous cavaly or some chariot-like bone construct to help flesh out their cavalry based subfaction, etc.  they even had room for more heroes - an infantry liege, morghast hero, stalker/immortis hero, or cavalry caster would have made a ton of sense.  The one thing they didn't need was another infantry caster, since they had a couple of those already and the devs had already demonstrated difficulty destinguishing them mechanically in a way that still made them all worth fielding.

so of course what they got was the ossifector, literally a boneshaper in a different pose arbitrarily forced to be a different unit even though there's nothing visually or thematically distinguishing these models apart from just knowing which was which.  the sad thing is the boneshaper was a useful & important enough hero that many obr players already ran two, and would have appreciated just an alternate pose.

I get that gw prioritizes model design in the sense that the sculptors just make what they want to make without concern for what a faction needs, then the devs just make rules for what they get, but that's kind of a bad system for the game, and even within that system a lot of bad choices have been made.

eg soulblight with over a dozen infantry vamp lord models released since the cursed city refresh if you count special characters, box games, & limited releases, but not a single cavalry vamp lord to ride with the plastic blood knight kit despite an entire subfaction of vampire knights.

or nighthaunt which has so many ancillary heroes choking the range that the devs had to demote one of them a regular unit because otherwise there was no way even half of them would see the table in 4th edition.

I don't know if its just that death factions have been more badly hit by poor choices in hero releases & that's skewing my impression, but it's actively frustrating.  Multiple times I've seen an edition come and go and the only new release some of my armies get is one that makes their model ranges & unit rosters actively worse.

As a fellow death player I resonate with this.

I have also heard that there’s very little structure or intention in the process of sculpting new units, which feels a bit mad, but accurate given how often the releases make absolutely no sene (as you pointed out in detail).

I agree that it’s frustrating and detrimental to the game, to repeatedly receive the opposite of what your faction needs, and in those cases I would rather nothing in place of waiting a little longer for a unit that makes sense. 

9 times out of 10 this kind of range bloat relates to unwanted infantry hero’s, but that’s not to say that no faction should recieve them (as some would benefit), just that for those that continuously recieve them in place of anything useful, over an extended period it becomes very annoying and creates more issues than it solves. 

Edited by TechnoVampire

38 minutes ago, EonChao said:

I also know sculptors who work in a variety of mediums and it all depends on how much detail you want to put into it and in what material you're going to produce that model. When working in 3d for making model kits that will be produced through injection molding plastic, like an AoS release would be, then that's the biggest thing. It's easy for a kit to not come out right if there's not the proper attention given to how it divides up into parts on the sprue. A smaller humanoid hero is going to easier to do that with because it's not breaking the body down into too many abstract parts. Remember the problems there were with Krondys when he was first released and his body didn't go together properly in the initial batches? Doing bigger models more frequently is where those issues can slip in.

Yeah, that's true, the one I know releases his stuff through Patreon and Tribes, so he only has to take in account how it can be printed and that's ofcourse not the same as splitting up a mini in lots of small pieces so that there are no undercuts. Which isn't something to think about when designing mini's for resin printers.

so was holding off till i get info on the Emperor children rumors but since this is a AOS forum I'll add those the next reveal show rake up

AOS

• Narrative campaign
  • Orruk Warclans with a spearhead (possibly Ironjawz)
  •  Gloomspite gitz next
    • Gitmob army box
  • Soulblight Gravelord afterwards which will have an army box of Deathrattle skeleton range (not the basic skeletons) along with Zombie Dragon by Whitefang back me up 
  • Chaos dwarfs 2025 various including HonestWargammer & Whitefang
    • Chaos Dwarves design was "too similar to the TOW pitch" by Honest wargamer
    • Will have a cog aesthetic by Honest wargamer  
  •  CoS getting a Cogfort by Whitefangbackmeup
  • Lumineth getting their own phoenix guard by Whitefang
  • Seraphon getting Temple guard through rumor engines (possibly for underworld)
  •  Wanderers, swifthawk, Greenskinz are get to show up once again in one way by Whitefang 

UNDERWORLD

• Roadmap soon
  • 3 heralds said to bring more stuff in the future
    •  Chaos dwarfs with other races like Hobgrots
    • Kerthusa's Daughter of Khaine warband
    • Gitmob/Kurnothi/Order of Azyr 
  • A warband that goes "rawr" (Seraphon ?)
  • A warband with a potbelly (it Nurgle demon)
  • A chaos warband
  • A Destruction warband

WARCRY

• Next year a new edition

• New Red gobbo Christmas model with a snowman (rumor engine with the branch is from there)
  • Krieg wave
    • A Krieg commissar
    • A Krieg captain on horse
    • Heavy weapons squad
    • Krieg command squad
    •  Krieg Death Rider 
    • WW1 artillery
  • Eldar wave
    • Updated Asurman
    • Updated Fuegan with new fire dragons 
    • New Pheonix lord for the Warp spider and new warp spider 
    • Updated Barroth with new swooping hawks
    • Updated Prince Yriel
    • Eldar Corsairs (some will have jump-pack) & Corsair Warseer
    • Eldar Viper vehicles (other vehicles redesign)
  • Imperial Knights
    •  New Armiger
  • Emperor Children (2025)
    •  Plastic Daemon Prince Fulgrim
    • Lucius the eternal 
    • Noise Marines
  • Space wolves
    •  Logan Grimnar but he no longer has his sled 
  • Codex Daemons of Chaos are gone
  • Orkz big bad for 11 edition in 2 years

HH 

• Plastic Fellblade & Glaive tank
  • New edition (book printed and ready) MK II armor Iron warrior vs Salamanders theme with saturnine terminators, Saturnine dreadnoaught and new weapon team
  •  Plastic Mechnicum knights 
  • There talk about moving the setting to the Scouring series in the future with new Mk 7 armor  

KT 

•  Grey knights
  • World eaters ( it's Khorne theme so assuming it World eater)
  •  Exodites (this one is extreme far fetch)
  • new KT Starter Set: Space Marines (Space Marines Heroes Series 4) vs Death Guard (Space Marines Heroes Series 3) and MDF terrain by Elarin

Necromunda

• More new Malstraine Genestealers
  • Updating old gangs 

TOW

• Empire
    • New Captain
    • New Hedgewitch
    • New Warmachine
    • FW Mannan’s blades returns
    • No new cannon or knights
  • High elves
    •  Tyrion and Teclis are the special characters
    • New nautical character
  • Beastmen are getting the returning Peytron, Gorebull & Fimir
    • Morgur is special character
  • Grand Cathay coming long time but coming collaborated by Whitefang

if any of our rumor mongers @Whitefang or @Whitefang back me up want to dispel or add in this list go ahead but yeah next event in in novemeber

Edited by Dragon-knight77
  • Thanks 12

53 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Well, I‘m not gonna collect another army but I did promise a friend to help with his rats from his starter set… who knows where it‘ll end. Skaven are awesome but I‘m mostly using my hobby time for scenery… swamps, craters, those Kill team ruins I‘d love to paint. 

If I should get a non-Tzeentchian spearhead though, I think it might be Death. I just love those basic skeltons and Flesheaters are just awesome due to the lore. 🤔

Welcome to the FEC family.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

KT 

•  Grey knights
  • World eaters ( it's Khorne theme so assuming it World eater)
  •  Exodites (this one is extreme far fetch) 

You can add a new KT Starter Set: Space Marines (Space Marines Heroes Series 4) vs Death Guard (Space Marines Heroes Series 3) and cardboard/MDF terrain

Edited by Elarin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, Lucentia said:

The single hero releases are occasionally the right move, where it's just to replace a tired old sculpts or whatever, but being able to swap the single release to a unit, small monster, or war machine, etc. would go a long way.  Some factions don't necessarily need lots of extra kits, but most if then also don't need more extraneous hero options at this point.

Or even just, a single hero on a horse or something. Just so long as it is not a single foot hero every time!

• Like 2