Controlling Objectives at Setup

drkrash

Question

Disagreement at our club last night.

If you start a unit on an objective at setup and then move away on turn 1, do you control the objective? I think the answer is yes; another person said you don't start controlling them and if you move away on turn 1, you never controlled it.  (He got that from a NOVA TO.)

Thoughts?

6 answers to this question

6 hours ago, drkrash said:

Disagreement at our club last night.

If you start a unit on an objective at setup and then move away on turn 1, do you control the objective? I think the answer is yes; another person said you don't start controlling them and if you move away on turn 1, you never controlled it.  (He got that from a NOVA TO.)

Thoughts?

No harm intended, but why do you not simply check the core rules if you encounter such a discussion? It sounds as if you base the way you play the game on intuition or hearsay. Again, I do not want you to take this badly, but a lot of rules questions showing up here are solved by quickly consulting the core rules.

6 hours ago, rosa said:

No, as you look who controlles the objektives at the end of each round.

No you do not, @Landohammer has the correct reference.

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

Here is the quote from the "Battleplan" section of the rules:

"At the end of each player's turn you must check to see if either player has gained control of any objectives."

The rest of the paragraph is also relevant but I think this sentence answers your question.

So long story short: You can only establish control of an objective at the END of one of your turns. 

While your reference is correct, your final sentence is not. You can gain control of objectives at the end of either player´s turn, not just your own. Remember that (as far as I know) all matched play battle plans only allow you to score points at the end of your own turn, though.

As a quick reminder:

Taking control of objectives: At the end of each players turn

Scoring objectives: Each player at the end of their own turn

I hope this clears things up.

Edited by Isotop
  • Like 2

Here is the quote from the "Battleplan" section of the rules:

"At the end of each player's turn you must check to see if either player has gained control of any objectives."

The rest of the paragraph is also relevant but I think this sentence answers your question.

So long story short: You can only establish control of an objective at the END of one of your turns. 

It does.  Thanks.  No offense taken.  I've been playing AoS for 4 years.  it's not at all uncommon in a game whose rules are as loose as this to play things incorrectly for years.  My position makes perfect narrative sense, so I never questioned it.  Nor did my friend till someone at a con pointed it out to him.  So I wanted to check. 

31 minutes ago, drkrash said:

It does.  Thanks.  No offense taken.  I've been playing AoS for 4 years.  it's not at all uncommon in a game whose rules are as loose as this to play things incorrectly for years.  My position makes perfect narrative sense, so I never questioned it.  Nor did my friend till someone at a con pointed it out to him.  So I wanted to check. 

I totally get you - sorry for my rather harsh answer. I was frankly surprized that you received two wrong answers relatively quickly. This might be a common misunderstanding in the community 🤔. Anyways, I am glad I could help you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Isotop said:

I totally get you - sorry for my rather harsh answer. I was frankly surprized that you received two wrong answers relatively quickly. This might be a common misunderstanding in the community 🤔. Anyways, I am glad I could help you.

Yes apologies. My sentence should read "any" turn not necessarily "your" turn.  I quoted the rule then completely messed up the summary of that rule lol. 

1 hour ago, drkrash said:

I actually had two recent opponents in tournaments think the same thing.  Its surprisingly common. I think the root of the confusion is how AOS allows you to leave an objective but maintain control over it.