Stormbringer - Age of Sigmar partworks from Hachette info thread

EonChao

It's a pity that there's every reason to believe that the next magazine will be "Spearhead"; I would have gone absolutely nuts over a whole magazine/running story/battle plotline devoted to the Skaven.  Oh well.  I imagine GW got rather angry that people were getting usable armies, rather than having to buy more things.

5 hours ago, Amenephis said:

It's a pity that there's every reason to believe that the next magazine will be "Spearhead"; I would have gone absolutely nuts over a whole magazine/running story/battle plotline devoted to the Skaven.  Oh well.  I imagine GW got rather angry that people were getting usable armies, rather than having to buy more things.

If we speak about the 40k one, it could be surprising, but the AoS one (at least here) is not selling well, and I think this has been translated into the collectable not getting expanded into 90 numbers, so it is not weird that they want to try something else.

8 hours ago, Amenephis said:

There will be an element of that too it I'm sure. Not anger but just common sense business. The magazine is designed to attract new players but actually just gets used by established players to bulk out a huge new project/pile of potential which probably effects long term profitability of some kits. The campaign is okay but requires a bit of a commitment in terms of how it teaches the game.

Switching to something like Combat Patrol is probably much better at it. You give new players a taster for a wide variety of the range rather than two specific parts of it, and then let them try different parts of it that they like. You also keep it more flexible from a teaching perspective. New units don't get lost in the churn of later scenarios because you're focused on a very specific smaller quicker way to play which also helps with how long it needs to hold attention.

So it's more painful for those of us wanting a big army on a "budget" but it's probably going to do a better job of what it's intended to do.

I'm probably not going to subscribe to Combat Patrol. I might pick up the odd unit that I want to paint at a discount I didn't ever expect it to get because Imperial Guard don't get to be in starter boxes or I get lucky with the scalpers not buying out Forbidden Planet. But if a younger family member wanted to get into the game then I'd certainly subscribe to the first 2-4 combat patrols worth of models for them to paint and play around with.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, EonChao said:

There will be an element of that too it I'm sure. Not anger but just common sense business. The magazine is designed to attract new players but actually just gets used by established players to bulk out a huge new project/pile of potential which probably effects long term profitability of some kits. The campaign is okay but requires a bit of a commitment in terms of how it teaches the game.

Switching to something like Combat Patrol is probably much better at it. You give new players a taster for a wide variety of the range rather than two specific parts of it, and then let them try different parts of it that they like. You also keep it more flexible from a teaching perspective. New units don't get lost in the churn of later scenarios because you're focused on a very specific smaller quicker way to play which also helps with how long it needs to hold attention.

So it's more painful for those of us wanting a big army on a "budget" but it's probably going to do a better job of what it's intended to do.

I'm probably not going to subscribe to Combat Patrol. I might pick up the odd unit that I want to paint at a discount I didn't ever expect it to get because Imperial Guard don't get to be in starter boxes or I get lucky with the scalpers not buying out Forbidden Planet. But if a younger family member wanted to get into the game then I'd certainly subscribe to the first 2-4 combat patrols worth of models for them to paint and play around with.

GW is notoriously arrogant and petty, and also actively despises its own customer base; I'd say "angry" is actually entirely justified as a term.

That said you're just repeating what I wrote otherwise so sure.  My point, though, was that by splitting apart the armies you're losing some of the focused storytelling that made the magazines themselves fun (not the models, the magazines that everyone forgets also come with these).  I'd also wager that it's going to dramatically damage subscriptions, as people either aren't willing to sub because what they want won't come until later, or will terminate their sub once their desired army comes out.  

Yet again, this magazine demonstrates that something intended for everyone is intended for no one.

On 7/1/2024 at 1:32 AM, Amenephis said:

This whole hobby is about buying more things. I'm not sure what your expectations here are. Also, if another run of Hachette's magazines doesn't appeal to you, here's a useful tip - don't buy them.

And on the subject of Spearhead, should the format prove succesful, and there are a lot of very positive impressions from people, who got to play it already, this could be a fantastic opportunity for people to pick up cheap Spearhead warbands, without commiting to bigger army collections. Maybe not worth a full subscription, unless there are some really attractive bonuses, but getting the ones you want, still at a fraction of the full retail price, is still very attractive and will appeal to many people.

3 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

This whole hobby is about buying more things. I'm not sure what your expectations here are. Also, if another run of Hachette's magazines doesn't appeal to you, here's a useful tip - don't buy them.

And on the subject of Spearhead, should the format prove succesful, and there are a lot of very positive impressions from people, who got to play it already, this could be a fantastic opportunity for people to pick up cheap Spearhead warbands, without commiting to bigger army collections. Maybe not worth a full subscription, unless there are some really attractive bonuses, but getting the ones you want, still at a fraction of the full retail price, is still very attractive and will appeal to many people.

"Getting the ones you want" has never exactly been viable with this magazine in any of its runs, because scalpers eliminate individual sales of the most valuable issues which is another issue with this specific subscription (which is what we were talking about, despite your strawman attempt to swap it to all of Hachette's magazines, interesting that you felt you had to be disingenuous to have this conversation...): unless you get exactly every issue from a specific Spearhead, the entire thing becomes useless for its intent.

Also, if the entire hobby for you is "buying more things", well, that's your opinion.  It's actually very easy to play without spending a penny, if you know the right places to look.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Amenephis said:

"Getting the ones you want" has never exactly been viable with this magazine in any of its runs, because scalpers eliminate individual sales of the most valuable issues which is another issue with this specific subscription (which is what we were talking about, despite your strawman attempt to swap it to all of Hachette's magazines, interesting that you felt you had to be disingenuous to have this conversation...): unless you get exactly every issue from a specific Spearhead, the entire thing becomes useless for its intent.

Also, if the entire hobby for you is "buying more things", well, that's your opinion.  It's actually very easy to play without spending a penny, if you know the right places to look.

Interestingly, here in Spain you can find most of the issues even from the official site or one of the biggest retailers (the one that leaked all the Stormbringer contents in advance that is similar to forbidden planet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Interestingly, here in Spain you can find most of the issues even from the official site or one of the biggest retailers (the one that leaked all the Stormbringer contents in advance that is similar to forbidden planet).

Which is great!  However, it's also a simple fact that Spain is very much far from the biggest market(s) for Warhammer, so unless that's viable in the US and the UK, the problem still persists...and it very much is not viable in the US and the UK.

That's why this new subscription just doesn't work, I don't think.  You can't subscribe for the faction(s) you actually want, you CAN kill your sub after you do get the faction(s) you want, you can't realistically buy the individual issues to get the factions you want, etc.  I understand that it's a demo disc, in a sense.  That it's intended to come with faction teasers for a variety of armies, so that people can try varied games and decide a faction they like to expand on.  However, given the model and reality, I just don't think that that's what's actually going to happen.