TOW 1.0 - Dwarf Mountain Holds, Royal Clan & Expeditionary Force

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Dawi prices:

1.jpg.71814427272bd716ae79b9c100c61806.jpg

Plastic Runelord now explicitly sold as a Runesmith. Almost like they know Runelords are a daft points sink in TOW. 🤔

(Mind you, still using this guy as a Runelord, because I'd imagine only the most venerable smiths need a pony to lug them around)

EX7aym1WkAAc69B.jpeg.a07b1742c98618384783366ce1277914.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am going to start with the Arcane Journal and the plastic Lord/shieldbearer set. Hopefully it isn't sold out to quickly. I fear that the new resin dwarf characters will be sold out in a blink of an eye.

The Bretonnian resin characters are still sold out. It's a bit ridiculous. 😉 

Bit of a marketing ramble/article for the Dwarf Arcane Journal.

• Runic Tattoos can be taken on Slayers and Doomseekers. They can also be Dogs of War for the Empire.
  • Bugman's Cart 'raises spirits' and Mining Cart is full of blasting charges units can throw out.
  • Miners are important to the Expeditionary Force.
  • Scout Gyrocopters (no bombs but faster) for the Expeditionary Force.
  • Royal Clan don't use black powder but get a bigger rune budget. 
  • Royal Clan Warriors, which they talk about being a minor kitbash of using the hand weapons/shields with on Hammerers.
  • They didn't go a Slayer Cult list because, like Night Goblins, it was 'too obvious' but Ungrim lets you do it (iirc one of the leaks said he makes them Core?)
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

runes for ranged weapons, presumably characters' handguns and crossbows are something I've been waiting for since the mid 90s 😍

The magic bows the Empire and both varieties of elf get in Forces of Fantasy are pretty tasty, so bring it on!

Edited by Double Misfire

21 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

😍

Wowee! Is this how Space Marine players feel every week?!

image.jpeg.495c62aae3e0059ada87e5e0194e7967.jpeg

Looking forward to the 40-odd dwarfs with spears I've got laying around having proper rules for the first time in just under 25 years 😁

I’m not in particularly a keen fan of the older models, yet this one are a unit I do want to own, even if it is just for the purpose of painting and enjoying the process.

also where are my slayer pirates, please gw bring back the slayer pirates.

they are old but I really want them, without having to pay 400-500 bugs for that 

16 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m not in particularly a keen fan of the older models, yet this one are a unit I do want to own, even if it is just for the purpose of painting and enjoying the process.

Can highly recommend, they're awesomely fun, and surprisingly quick models to paint. Big shame for people who don't already own them that all the extras, proper standard bearer and plug in handgun and crossbow models from back in the day aren't returning mind!

47-c5acf1abc5.jpg.108836a5578b8dfae7466dd786751b4e.jpg

16 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

By the way and sorry for the double post I think I’ve already got myself a bugman xxxx chariot by accident.

I’ve built this one a year or so back for aos, but I don’t have much reason to ise it in that system anymore

IMG_3350.jpeg

Dang, I love this. I bought one of those silly wagons for the individual wizards years ago, and would never have thought to use it for anything dwarfy. May have to take a second look at the sprue 😁

• Thanks 1

My thoughts from the article :

* Carts are basically units on their own, rather than filler models like they were used before. That means they'll have a profile and that maybe we'll have the first dwarf chariot since a while. ;)
* Royal Clan Warriors are indeed suggested to be built from the plastic hammerers box using hand weapons and shields from longbeards, but they'll be more than just a kitbash. They are "a bit better" than normal warrior units. I wonder if they'll have the gromril armor / weapons special rule (that alone would be quite the nice buff indeed).
* Dwarfs with spears are imperial dwarves and a mercenary unit. Mercenaries have a few disadvantages, like not being able to use the army standard / general rules for morale, but dwarves already have a good leadership so they shouldn't be impacted as much as the badland ogres. The random table you may roll at the start of the battle isn't that much of a big deal (it can actually be a good thing, like having your unit comes from reserve on the flank of the enemy later). They should be interesting to take.
*It's not that miners are important to Expeditionnary Force...they play "a big role" in it. To me, that mostly means they can be taken as core and may have better rules. That would be an incentive to take them (because, let's be honest, they're just expensive warriors with two handed weapons more than anything else and they're not that great in the end...mostly because vanguard with M3 is basically useless and reserve move isn't that great on a slow infantry unit - and explosive charges are just a gimmick that's mostly ineffective).
* They say "lords with rune weapons and cannon batteries are good at killing dragons". Yeah, about that...I guess a dwarf lord can kill a dragon with runic weapons, but the issue is more about "engaging" the dragon with the lord. And cannon batteries...deinitely not true if they're still with that cannon profile S8 AP-2 W D3. I wonder if they'll add some runes to help that, because as standing now...it's not enough to kill dragons / annoying tough monsters.

TBH they're quite stingy with what the arcane journal can offer in this article : they're basically saying not much about the actual rules / list building. But it doesn't matter, leaks should come out soon and I'm excited to read / discover it myself from the book once I'll have it.

Lore article should be interesting to read.

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

By the way and sorry for the double post I think I’ve already got myself a bugman xxxx chariot by accident.

I’ve built this one a year or so back for aos, but I don’t have much reason to ise it in that system anymore

IMG_3350.jpeg

IMG_3349.jpeg

IMG_3348.jpeg

Fan-TASTIC!!!

• Thanks 1

Lore article for the Dwarfs, which seems to confirm the three special characters are Ungrim (which we knew), young Thorgrim Grudgebearer Ulleksson and the Engineer Burlock Damminson.

0KCKPayj4aN5U8La.jpg

The story in this Arcane Journal is of the reclamation of Khazid Vosk, a minor hold lost a long time ago. It was an outpost of the Engineers Guild, and the Dwarfs are moving towards reclaiming it, alongside one or two others.

• Like 2

Reading the Almanack it says that Burlok Damminsson had a rebellious youth where he invented lots of strange machines - are they changing the Lore to have him as the originator of the Goblin Hewer? I could be down with the idea that he developed a prototype that was later rediscovered by Malakai. Wether it was Malaki researching plans or being told Stories of the Old Axe Thrower By Damminsson

IMG_9927.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Reading the Almanack it says that Burlok Damminsson had a rebellious youth where he invented lots of strange machines - are they changing the Lore to have him as the originator of the Goblin Hewer? I could be down with the idea that he developed a prototype that was later rediscovered by Malakai. Wether it was Malaki researching plans or being told Stories of the Old Axe Thrower By Damminsson

Still holding out for Malakai inventing a time machine. :D (He's around in AoS as the inventor of a patent line of flushing toilets)

• Like 1

Also I thought the exploration to reclaim  Khazid Vosk and it being a guild outpost is setting up a future release of the rumoured dwarf tank.. They say they will return to it so maybe a campaign book/suppliment after they get all the factions released?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silverstu said:

Also I thought the exploration to reclaim  Khazid Vosk and it being a guild outpost is setting up a future release of the rumoured dwarf tank.. They say they will return to it so maybe a campaign book/suppliment after they get all the factions released?

They'll clearly make other books with the events in the background moving forward. And they also wrote in the article they're leaving open the possibility of adding other armies of infamy. The slayer army was mentionned as one of these possibilities (they didn't put it here because "it was obvious").

So look out for the (very long term) future.

• Like 1

Today's Almanak giving us a better look at the newer models ahead of the pre-order. Also the 'official' reveal of the FAQ update

Imperial Dwarfs can be taken as mercenaries in Dwarfen Mountain Holds armies, where they’re essentially Dwarf Warriors with access to spears, or they can be hired by Empire of Man armies, which is rooted in some of the older material from Warhammer Fantasy Battle, with Dwarf communities living and working in Imperial cities. The profile is deliberately flexible, to allow players to use older metal miniatures or convert newer plastics.

And some lore on why the Goblin-Hewer is around without Malakai.

“The Goblin-Hewer is another interesting returning unit”, says JTY. “It doesn’t come with Malakai Makaisson, because he hasn’t been born yet. But we delved into the lore and discovered that Malakai might not have invented everything he says he did. He’s an amazing character, but many of these contraptions – including blimps, zeppelins and the hewer – had already been developed.* He might have refined or reinvented them, but they already existed in principle – the Goblin-Hewer in particular had become quite a dishonourable weapon before Malakai’s time, falling out of use until he struck upon the blueprints. It was actually already caught up in patent disputes, even back in the World of Legend – seems to be something about an axe-tossing engine that makes young Dwarf Engineers want to claim ‘I invented that’.”

r9AGmL23R5j2rFbI.jpg

And two of the new Engineering Runes.

eiZuclNQjbPC2vjy.jpg

• Like 1

The Goblin Hewer feels like a copout, but whatever, I own three of them 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Actually scratch that, being unmasked as a plagiarist is as good a reason for becoming a Slayer as getting a load of dwarfs killed on the maiden voyage of a new vehicle (something Malakai had to do twice to realise it was bad enough to shave his head over), I love this new background

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Like 1

I love the option to make a pseudo-karak kadrin list with Royal aclan and Ungrim. New runes are awesome, but sadly, there is no preview of runic tatoos...

Less than 24 hours to smash F5 until I can buy everything.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Kronos said:

IMG_9927.jpeg

Well, Guess I wasn’t wrong -

The Goblin-Hewer is another interesting returning unit”, says JTY. “It doesn’t come with Malakai Makaisson, because he hasn’t been born yet. But we delved into the lore and discovered that Malakai might not have invented everything he says he did. He’s an amazing character, but many of these contraptions – including blimps, zeppelins and the hewer – had already been developed.* He might have refined or reinvented them, but they already existed in principle – the Goblin-Hewer in particular had become quite a dishonourable weapon before Malakai’s time, falling out of use until he struck upon the blueprints. It was actually already caught up in patent disputes, even back in the World of Legend – seems to be something about an axe-tossing engine that makes young Dwarf Engineers want to claim ‘I invented that’.”

• Like 1