TOW 1.0 - Dwarf Mountain Holds, Royal Clan & Expeditionary Force

@Beliman

“The Dragon Company can be used as Imperial Dwarf Mercenaries in Warhammer: The Old World, but these miniatures actually predate that lore, and have specific rules for using them as a Regiment of Renown, which are included in the packaging. Ulther is an outcast. His hold has fallen, and he’s out there in the world trying to regain the honour of his kin. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/07/19/old-world-almanack-old-miniatures-and-new/

Personally I can't wait, I've been wanting boutique rules for these guys and their unique loadout back almost as long as I've been playing Warhammer :D

• LOVE IT! 1

On 7/29/2024 at 2:47 PM, Tonhel said:

Elves, rats and evil dwarfs are nothing GW specific . Really looking forward to the new races. Especially the Elves. Great times ahead for our hobby.😃

The similarities are way bigger than that. You can make almost exactly the same „wood elf“ archer from the Glade Guard kit, down to the particulars of the clothing.

Not saying it is bad, but I doubt the motivation was making generic rat man or elves, but rather it was making something that at first glance looks like GW minis we recognise.

Edited by return_of_grom

1 hour ago, return_of_grom said:

The similarities are way bigger than that. You can make almost exactly the same „wood elf“ archer from the Glade Guard kit, down to the particulars of the clothing.

Not saying it is bad, but I doubt the motivation was making generic rat man or elves, but rather it was making something that at first glance looks like GW minis we recognise.

Ofcourse the motivation of the sculptors is to be as close as possible to the Warhammer aesthetic. It's the biggest reason people are subscribed to their Patreon/Tribes. If you want a good amount of subscribers making replacement mini's for GW games is the way to go instead of doing generic fantasy/SF stuff.

I've recieved most of my stuff (still waiting for some boxes).

Any tips for building generic but balanced lists? Does anyone have a Royal Clan list to play with Ungrim and a bunch of Slayers? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I've recieved most of my stuff (still waiting for some boxes).

Any tips for building generic but balanced lists? Does anyone have a Royal Clan list to play with Ungrim and a bunch of Slayers? 

Everybody seems to like Rangers, five man Trollhammer Irondrakes and Brimstone Gun Gyrocopters.

The Anvil of Doom gives Dwarfs a lot of flexibility, but costs a hefty wedge of points, and if you're gonna use it, you need to build your list around it.

At least one Bugman's Cart feels like an autoinclude for the movement buff - you never know when you'll be up against an opponent who's packed even more firepower than you have and you've got to march towards them.

Doomseekers with their increased charge range also feel like a no brainer. I can't forsee them being too hard to get killed, and at 150 for three without upgrades it's no big deal if you don't manage it.

The easiest trap to fall into writing a Dwarf list is going all out on runed up characters and elite units. Dwarfs are already a low bodycount army, and slow moving infantry is very easy to avoid, allowing most opponents the luxury of picking and choosing their fights. If you've got a kitted out King in a unit of 20 Hammerers and who nobody wants to fight, there's not a lot of point in having taken them.

That said, a handgun Thane with the Runes of Burning Flame, Accuracy, and Rapid Fire in an expensive combat block will do enough damage that your opponent will probably want to charge it just to prevent him from shooting.

Ungrim Royal Clan lists...

Slayers are one of the worse point for point units available to Dwarfs in TOW. I'd never say don't take them, and Dwarfs' internal balance is a lot better turned than say... the Empire's, but you may need Ungrim or a Daemonslayer in the front rank to compensate. I'd also keep them cheap and only take a couple of Giantslayers.

Royal Clans also lack Gyrocopters to help nudge the enemy in your direction, so make sure to load up on Quarrellers, Irondrakes and artillery to force them towards your lines.

• LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The only Lord I don't have is the one on Oathstone, so I'm pretty happy he's bundled with the Webstore Only Champion I never picked up. It softens the blow of already having the BSB.

Sit on the BSB for six months and then chuck him on eBay for a deserving Dwarf fan who slept on this MTO and doesn't own him to stumble on? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Oh boy, models I already own, and will probably buy again!

Real shame Helgar wasn't made part of the main range, or better still we didn't get a new queen to go with the new plastic kings

I've been wanting Helgar ever since I first saw her...in the 6th Edition Army Book? The one with the blue spine, over 20 years ago. Definitely picking her and the lords up. 

It's a shame all of these aren't part of the main range, especially when they still hold up to this day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sathrut said:

I've been wanting Helgar ever since I first saw her...in the 6th Edition Army Book? The one with the blue spine, over 20 years ago. Definitely picking her and the lords up. 

It's a shame all of these aren't part of the main range, especially when they still hold up to this day.

I got Helgar for my birthday when she was very first released in 1997 as part of a mail order flyer bundle with Loki Whitebeard and her retinue of slayers from the final battle of Grudge of Drong. Infact I've just realised I own one of what's probably a scarce amount of lead Helgars, as GW switched to white metal shortly after the Grudge of Drong was released. ****** am I old. 🫤

7 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Shame they arent releasing the rest of the Grudge of Drong characters, they were all bangers from memory.

Aye.

Back during 8th when it felt like every elf unit was getting an accompanying hero or lord (Loremaster, Sea Warden, Handmaiden, Anointed, Waystalker, whatever the Wardancer one's called...), I was incandescently jealous that Dwarfs (who'd lost the Rune of Brotherhood, allowing characters to deploy with these units) didn't get Ranger and Miner heroes, who could have respectively been played by rereleased Skag and Krudd models without the need for new sculpts.

Skag_the_Stealthy_M01.jpg.c723401c706e2c49c73bd455bd33027a.jpgKruddMadMattock.jpg.7ddf09aeb1cdca541d130f7d14aeb032.jpg

Oh well, maybe in a future campaign supplement.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I was incandescently jealous that Dwarfs (who'd lost the Rune of Brotherhood, allowing characters to deploy with these units) didn't get Ranger and Miner heroes, who could have respectively been played by rereleased Skag and Krudd models without the need for new sculpts.

I didn't know that I need a Miner Hero until now.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...