Spearhead discussion

4 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

As they are still shrink wrapped, I'd say it's old stock or stock they had available. GW are making a move to be greener (not as an Orruk), so that means less plastic wrapping and bags.

My theory is that those that are still listed as Vanguards are getting replaced first so there's no point changing the packaging when there will be new ones out within a year.

3 hours ago, novakai said:

Yeah but I think the old skaven one is also not being sold anymore.

You can get a Warp Lightning Cannon and Stormfiends for cheaper than a Vanguard/Spearhead box and the rest of the Spearhead is 20 Clan Rats and a Grey Seer so it's not too difficult to just use those components from your first Spearhead and buy the remaining two units (unless you're desperate to play Skaven vs Skaven).

Heck, if you're getting the Skaventide box then that comes with 40 clan rats so you'd have enough for both that way too.

2 hours ago, EonChao said:

You can get a Warp Lightning Cannon and Stormfiends for cheaper than a Vanguard/Spearhead box and the rest of the Spearhead is 20 Clan Rats and a Grey Seer so it's not too difficult to just use those components from your first Spearhead and buy the remaining two units (unless you're desperate to play Skaven vs Skaven).

Heck, if you're getting the Skaventide box then that comes with 40 clan rats so you'd have enough for both that way too.

Sure but both boxes are being discontinued regardless but Skaven one still get rules in Spearhead is the point I was making.

• Like 1

Man I really feel like this has potential

I’m hopi g each codex release gets a new spearhead, and things like army’s of renown could be changed into spearheads of renown later in 4th when new campeign books drop

21 minutes ago, Glutos said:

Man I really feel like this has potential

I’m hopi g each codex release gets a new spearhead, and things like army’s of renown could be changed into spearheads of renown later in 4th when new campeign books drop

If they follow the 10th edition pattern each BT should have 1 or 2 new spearheads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So my FLGS has Dominion in stock, and I'm seriously considering buying it primarily for the SCE Spearhead.

I already have a Thunderstrike Chariot that I picked up from Stormbringer (indeed for a conversion that didn't go ahead), and can pick up 10 Vanquishes from it too. That leaves me with the Thunderstrike Command. My options are: (i) buy the command by itself for a stupid amount, (ii) buy the Spearhead or (iii) buy Dominion fur like £30 more than the Spearhead, and get 10 Vindictors, 3 Praetors, a Knight Arcanum and a Lord Imperitent extra, plus a bunch of Kruleboyz to sell. 

As an aside, I really wish GW would stop selling the big sprue from their starter set at such a ludicrous mark up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

So my FLGS has Dominion in stock, and I'm seriously considering buying it primarily for the SCE Spearhead.

I already have a Thunderstrike Chariot that I picked up from Stormbringer (indeed for a conversion that didn't go ahead), and can pick up 10 Vanquishes from it too. That leaves me with the Thunderstrike Command. My options are: (i) buy the command by itself for a stupid amount, (ii) buy the Spearhead or (iii) buy Dominion fur like £30 more than the Spearhead, and get 10 Vindictors, 3 Praetors, a Knight Arcanum and a Lord Imperitent extra, plus a bunch of Kruleboyz to sell. 

As an aside, I really wish GW would stop selling the big sprue from their starter set at such a ludicrous mark up.

The Dominion box is always the better deal. 🙂

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

It certainly looks like it. No idea if Praetors will be good in 4th, but using £34 RRP for three ETB minis does not spark joy for me...

Yeah, one of the reasons I will get Skaventide is that if I don't and do want to start a SCE or Skaven army mid-edition I will have to pay a lot more for the same mini's that are now included in the box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Honestly, if you want it I would do it. In the FLGS stores I visit they have almost the same price with discount as a spearhead box. And you can always sell the Kruleboyz, for example, and get some money back.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2024 at 9:22 AM, JerekKruger said:

For what it's worth, assuming you're not bothered about WYSWG and use the 10 Gutrippaz in Dominion then you'd also only be missing a Beast-Skewer Killbow to complete the Kruleboyz Spearhead too.

6 hours ago, EonChao said:

For what it's worth, assuming you're not bothered about WYSWG and use the 10 Gutrippaz in Dominion then you'd also only be missing a Beast-Skewer Killbow to complete the Kruleboyz Spearhead too.

Is WYSIWYG even a thing anymore? I thought the gutrippa warscroll covers any weapon config now.

1 hour ago, GrimDork said:

Is WYSIWYG even a thing anymore? I thought the gutrippa warscroll covers any weapon config now.

I think he is probably thinking about the lack of musician and banner on the dominion sprue. It don't matter of spearhead anyway since command models don't get rules there.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pikachoux said:

Do you think we can buy the spearhead box alone not with the new starting box?

I've been wondering something similar. I'm keen to get the Spearhead stuff (the book, the cards, the mat...) but am not particularly interested in the other stuff. Like the models. 

Of course, I could just buy the big box and sell off the stuff I don't want... but, y'know... effort. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I've been wondering something similar. I'm keen to get the Spearhead stuff (the book, the cards, the mat...) but am not particularly interested in the other stuff. Like the models. 

Of course, I could just buy the big box and sell off the stuff I don't want... but, y'know... effort. 

If GW don't release all the Spearhead stuff separately that will be the blunder of the century for them. How can Spearhead be an introductory mode if it's locked behind an expensive, nominally limited edition starter bundle?

EDIT: A box with the Spearhead book, cards, board and terrain is the kind of product that a company should seriously consider selling as a loss leader. It needs to be cheap and accessible because its function is to get players into your ecosystem.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If GW don't release all the Spearhead stuff separately that will be the blunder of the century for them. How can Spearhead be an introductory mode if it's locked behind an expensive, nominally limited edition starter bundle?

EDIT: A box with the Spearhead book, cards, board and terrain is the kind of product that a company should seriously consider selling as a loss leader. It needs to be cheap and accessible because its function is to get players into your ecosystem.

Spearhead rules boxes are a product that makes a lot of sense to me. New ones can also be released later down the line. 

We will see if GW picks the low hanging fruit.