Spearhead discussion

47 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Peculiar that the 'Fire and Jade' box they've announced doesn't include the Fire and Jade book, isn't it? 

I can't remember... are all the rules needed to play Spearhead going to be downloadable for free? Or do we need the book? 

They mention the rules will be free and the spearhead warscrolls will be inside the indexes.

13 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The Spearhead rules will be downloadable. I believe all the 4th ed rules and warscrolls will be downloadable to start.

Yeah, not the whole books but their rules sections. It has always been the case. You can download 3rd edition rules for free nowadays at the cost of subscribing to the newsletter.

30 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Smashing. 

Well, let's just hope they don't go berserk with the price of the 'gaming pack'. 

From my perspective (so, of course, YMMV) this can't (realistically) be priced low enough to be interesting. Basically:

- the terrain is numerically limited (two walls and two...things) and tiny even on the small board

- because of the printed objectives/deployment, the board can't really be used outside of spearhead games

- cards can be printed with minimal effort and costs

My pessimistic bet for the price (as it's composed by stuff that GW typically overprices: cardboard boards, card packs, terrain) is 80€, the optimistic one is 60€ (and it still would feel too expensive for me)

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

From my perspective (so, of course, YMMV) this can't (realistically) be priced low enough to be interesting. Basically:

- the terrain is numerically limited (two walls and two...things) and tiny even on the small board

- because of the printed objectives/deployment, the board can't really be used outside of spearhead games

- cards can be printed with minimal effort and costs

My pessimistic bet for the price (as it's composed by stuff that GW typically overprices: cardboard boards, card packs, terrain) is 80€, the optimistic one is 60€ (and it still would feel too expensive for me)

This is a product aimed squarely at new players, and that's who it has to appeal to. People who literally don't own any terrain or a board. Or parents buying it for their children.

If you are an established player, you are very likely better off making a few objective markers and printing out the cards instead. But it is important that this box exists for the kind of audience that doesn't know what they need and wants to be able to walk into a store and walk out with a playable game.

EDIT: The price point is 55€ apparently, so cheap by GW standards.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

55 €.

I'm sure that buying Skaventide and selling off the bits you don't want is the way to go for anyone wanting this.

I know it's hassle, but it will probably be practically free once you're done.

Just now, GrimDork said:

I'm sure that buying Skaventide and selling off the bits you don't want is the way to go for anyone wanting this.

I know it's hassle, but it will probably be practically free once you're done.

That's what I do. Purchase the box. Keep the books, terrain and that kind of addons, Liberators, Reclusians and Lord-Terminos and I am pretty sure I will end up earning money.

Just now, Ejecutor said:

That's what I do. Purchase the box. Keep the books, terrain and that kind of addons, Liberators, Reclusians and Lord-Terminos and I am pretty sure I will end up earning money.

Just doing the math.

I got the box for £120 (which is the cheapest price I've seen anywhere at 25% discount) and they still have copies available.

Each half of the box will easily sell for £60+ (probably get more if you want to split it down further but will take longer to sell). If you sold each half for £65-70, even after eBay fees the spearhead content would be free!

2 eBay listings doesn't seem like much hassle to me!

23 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

Just doing the math.

I got the box for £120 (which is the cheapest price I've seen anywhere at 25% discount) and they still have copies available.

Each half of the box will easily sell for £60+ (probably get more if you want to split it down further but will take longer to sell). If you sold each half for £65-70, even after eBay fees the spearhead content would be free!

2 eBay listings doesn't seem like much hassle to me!

You make a really good point. Damn, I'm sorely tempted to invest in the big box now. 

If you don't already work in sales, @GrimDork, then the industry is missing out! 

• Haha 4

Just now, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

You make a really good point. Damn, I'm sorely tempted to invest in the big box now. 

If you don't already work in sales, @GrimDork, then the industry is missing out! 

My advice, always focus your purchases that way. I have a friend who plays 40k but bought the Cavalier Marshall purely for painting, but rather than buying the Cav Marshall for 45€, I told him to get the Spearhead for 110 €. Selling the rest of the box gave him the mini for free with 3 sales.

3 hours ago, PraetorDragoon said:

So the Spearhead reference is up for download. Download the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Core Rules, Battle Profiles, and More for Free - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

Any spearheads people are wanting to try out first?

I've had a quick go with an Idoneth Spearhead at my local Warhammer store, and really enjoyed their rapid movement - now trying to sort mine out to play with.

But Skaven are close to my heart, so as soon as Skaventide arrives I'll be speed building and painting to get that one ready. Unsure about it having so many characters, but sniping with the Engineer seems like good fun!

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Ahriman said:

I've had a quick go with an Idoneth Spearhead at my local Warhammer store, and really enjoyed their rapid movement - now trying to sort mine out to play with.

But Skaven are close to my heart, so as soon as Skaventide arrives I'll be speed building and painting to get that one ready. Unsure about it having so many characters, but sniping with the Engineer seems like good fun!

Deepkin are one of my favourite factions, so I think I'll go with them first. 

EDIT: Spearhead warscrolls are at the end of the index. Free Order Faction Pack Downloads – Unite to Defend the Realms - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

Edited by PraetorDragoon

5 hours ago, PraetorDragoon said:

So the Spearhead reference is up for download. Download the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Core Rules, Battle Profiles, and More for Free - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

Any spearheads people are wanting to try out first?

Got to play my Flesh-eaters past weekend and really enjoyed the game! Crypt guards fighting always made the opponent go crazy with how many attacks they have.

So here's a question, I'm on a moderately limited budget in terms of both hobby funds and space to play. Spearhead really speaks to me as a way to get around some of those issues. So my goal is to get to the point where I have 10 spearheads assembled and painted over 4th ed, but which ones is the challenge. If you were to pick 10 spearheads that best capture the feel of Age of Sigmar as a setting and the variety of factions within it, what would you go for?

5 minutes ago, EonChao said:

So here's a question, I'm on a moderately limited budget in terms of both hobby funds and space to play. Spearhead really speaks to me as a way to get around some of those issues. So my goal is to get to the point where I have 10 spearheads assembled and painted over 4th ed, but which ones is the challenge. If you were to pick 10 spearheads that best capture the feel of Age of Sigmar as a setting and the variety of factions within it, what would you go for?

I will try to split equally over GA:

- CoS
- SCE
- Sylvaneth
- KO

- NH
- FEC

- GSG
- KB

- S2D
- Skaven

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

If you were to pick 10 spearheads that best capture the feel of Age of Sigmar as a setting and the variety of factions within it, what would you go for?

Can I just say my Top Ten I'd go for if I was in your situation? Good, that's what I'm gonna do... 

• Slaanesh
  • Slaves to Darkness
  • Ogors
  • Nighthaunts
  • Tzeentch
  • Gitz 
  • Nurgle
  • Skaven
  • Soulblights 
  • Ironjawz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

Personally I would just start with just 4, one of each grand alliance.

Stormcast and Skaven are an easy pick (if you have the big box) Then Soulblight and Kruleboyz can round things out well. 

• Like 2

To "best capture the feal", I like Ejecutor's breakdown (4 Order, 2 Chaos, Destruction, Death). My proposed 10:

1. Stormcast. Whether you go with the old(er) Spearhead or the new one, Stormcast are the poster faction of AoS, and so any list should include them.
  2. "Aelves". Going to cheat here, and say to grab either Lumineth or Idoneth, depending on which models you prefer. A lack of elves would be a noticeable omission. (The DoK one is full of Witch Elves and Doomfire Warlocks, which feel a bit too WHFB for me.)
  3. Kharadron Overlords. Like you need some elves, you need some dwarfs, and you don't want Fyreslayers. 
  4. Cities of Sigmar. While the Stormcast are the face, it can also be good to have the "basic" people of Order represented. This was hard though, as I want to include Seraphon, because the Lizardmen are amazing...
  5. Skaven. I know I said that DoK was a bit too WHFB, and Skaven is mostly just updated WHFB stuff, but... I love Skaven, they feel really "Warhammer-y", and the new stuff looks brilliant. Also: poster faction of AoS 4.0.
  6. Slaves to Darkness. The old chariot had me hemming and hawing, and I considered Blades of Khorne (AoS1.0 poster faction), but... Chaos Warrior are the core of Chaos. I really do think BoK are also a good alternative though.
  7. Orruk Warclans. The Kruleboys are a love/hate for me (love those shields, and the swampiness, can't stand the baby legs), but they are technically well made, and cover the orcs in AoS. Also: poster faction of AoS 3.0. (Though personally I'd just wait and cross my fingers for a Spearhead: Ironjawz.) 
  8. Glomspite Gitz. Another one with a very WHFB feel, but you need some gobbos and some squigs. (And ogres are even more WHFB.)
  9. Nighthaunt. Poster faction of AoS 2.0, fun spooky ghosts.
  10. Ossiarch Bonereapers. With Nagash having an outsized influence on the entire Alliance, I'd go for his "personal" faction to round things out. (I know, they're all his personal factions, but the Bonereapers share his aesthetic.) Soulblight Gravelords have an argument for needing inclusion (archetypical gothic undead) and Flesh-Eater Courts are just fun, so either would be worthwhile substitutes. 
Edited by LordSolarMach
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LordSolarMach said:

To "best capture the feal", I like Ejecutor's breakdown (4 Order, 2 Chaos, Destruction, Death). My proposed 10:

1. Stormcast. Whether you go with the old(er) Spearhead or the new one, Stormcast are the poster faction of AoS, and so any list should include them.
  2. "Aelvs". Going to cheat here, and say to grab either Lumineth or Idoneth, depending on which models you prefer. A lack of elves would be a noticeable omission. (The DoK one is full of Witch Elves and Doomfire Warlocks, which feel a bit too WHFB for me.)
  3. Kharadron Overlords. Like you need some elves, you need some dwarfs, and you don't want Fyreslayers. 
  4. Cities of Sigmar. While the Stormcast are the face, it can also be good to have the "basic" people of Order represented. This was hard though, as I want to include Seraphon, because the Lizardmen are amazing...
  5. Skaven. I know I said that DoK was a bit too WHFB, and Skaven is mostly just updated WHFB stuff, but... I love Skaven, they feel really "Warhammer-y", and the new stuff looks brilliant. Also: poster faction of AoS 4.0.
  6. Slaves to Darkness. The old chariot had me hemming and hawing, and I considered Blades of Khorne (AoS1.0 poster faction), but... Chaos Warrior are the core of Chaos. I really do think BoK are also a good alternative though.
  7. Orruk Warclans. The Kruleboys are a love/hate for me (love those shields, and the swampiness, can't stand the baby legs), but they are technically well made, and cover the orcs in AoS. Also: poster faction of AoS 3.0. (Though personally I'd just wait and cross my fingers for a Spearhead: Ironjawz.) 
  8. Glomspite Gitz. Another one with a very WHFB feel, but you need some gobbos and some squigs. (And ogres are even more WHFB.)
  9. Nighthaunt. Poster faction of AoS 2.0, fun spooky ghosts.
  10. Ossiarch Bonereapers. With Nagash having an outsized influence on the entire Alliance, I'd go for his "personal" faction to round things out. (I know, they're all his personal factions, but the Bonereapers share his aesthetic.) Soulblight Gravelords have an argument for needing inclusion (archetypical gothic undead) and Flesh-Eater Courts are just fun, so either would be worthwhile substitutes. 

7/10 in common. Not bad 😅

Thanks for the replies. For what it's worth I have Yndrasta's Stormcast one, Kruleboyz, Nighthaunt, Daughters of Khaine and Idoneth. And I'm one kit off of having Sylvaneth and Gloomspite. So I'm probably starting with those (and hopefully picking up Skaventide later this year).

Thinking about it, if I was personally going to pick 10 from scratch I think I'd go for the 4/2/2/2 breakdown as you did with my choice being:

Stormcast

Cities of Sigmar

Idoneth

Kharadron

Skaven

Slaves to Darkness

Nighthaunt

Ossiarchs

Gloomspite

Kruleboyz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How is Hedonites supposed to do anything in Spearhead? Our movement feels very low for an army whose identity is speed, Depravity totals seem really steep, and the army is made of paper. 

It feels like a LOT of armies can get easy turn 1 charges; Stormcast and Nighthaunt kept half a side of my army in my deployment and with no way to retreat and charge and a 3" engagement range, it's REALLY hard to screen them out. 

Feeling exhausted with Hedonites as a whole and may just sell them. :( 3 editions now and it feels like they can't get it right. 

Are Daughters or Idoneth any better?

10 hours ago, Nasrod said:

How is Hedonites supposed to do anything in Spearhead? Our movement feels very low for an army whose identity is speed, Depravity totals seem really steep, and the army is made of paper. 

It feels like a LOT of armies can get easy turn 1 charges; Stormcast and Nighthaunt kept half a side of my army in my deployment and with no way to retreat and charge and a 3" engagement range, it's REALLY hard to screen them out. 

Feeling exhausted with Hedonites as a whole and may just sell them. :( 3 editions now and it feels like they can't get it right. 

I haven't played Spearhead with my Hedonites yet... but I must confess that their stats don't feel as zippy as one thinks they should be. 

There's something deeply, and appropriately, masochistic about playing Slaanesh. The models are a pain to assemble and challenging to paint. And it feels like that in its entire existence, the faction has been tactically promising for all of about three weeks. 

We suffer greatly for the Dark Prince... and we love it!