Spearhead discussion

11 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Are GW in the habit of selling boxes that contain rules and cards and the like, but no miniatures? I don't keep tabs on what happens for 40K and the rest. 

I think they have sold boards and books bundled with just terrain before. Seasons of War: Thondia is essentially that if not for the Krondspine Incarnate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

EDIT: A box with the Spearhead book, cards, board and terrain is the kind of product that a company should seriously consider selling as a loss leader. It needs to be cheap and accessible because its function is to get players into your ecosystem.

Woah, woah! Let's not ahead of ourselves here!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Are GW in the habit of selling boxes that contain rules and cards and the like, but no miniatures? I don't keep tabs on what happens for 40K and the rest. 

Hum... that's a good point. Maybe we have a smaller version of Skaventide, with both the Skaven and SCE spearheads plus all the rules, board and terrain.

Kind of the start here boxes but focused in Spearhead.

It would make sense to me that one of the new edition starter boxes would contain 2 spearhead forces and the spearhead paper/card content. So, skaventide light if you will, spearhead forces without the extra minis. Surely that would be the best entry point for a new player?

But maybe not, perhaps they will just package up the spearhead cards/boards and encourage new players to buy that and whatever spearhead box they like the look of to get started?

I'm curious as to which approach they will take.

I like the look of the spearhead folder in Skaventide, there's definitely potential for the seasonal release of separate realm boards with new twist decks, even new command/battle tactics.

1 minute ago, GrimDork said:

But maybe not, perhaps they will just package up the spearhead cards/boards and encourage new players to buy that and whatever spearhead box they like the look of to get started?

That'd be my preferred option. It'd make a good add-on sale to anyone buying a Spearhead box. 

9 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

It would make sense to me that one of the new edition starter boxes would contain 2 spearhead forces and the spearhead paper/card content. So, skaventide light if you will, spearhead forces without the extra minis. Surely that would be the best entry point for a new player?

I'm curious as to which approach they will take.

I like the look of the spearhead folder in Skaventide, there's definitely potential for the seasonal release of separate realm boards with new twist decks, even new command/battle tactics.

Chamon and Ghur next!

• Like 5

After Sprues&Brews review of Spearhead, I must say that I like how this mode is shaping. I can't wait to see the cards, they are going to be the main deal for replayability and enjoyment of this game mode.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Beliman said:

After Sprues&Brews review of Spearhead, I must say that I like how this mode is shaping. I can't wait to see the cards, they are going to be the main deal for replayability and enjoyment of this game mode.

Yeah, that's my thinking too. But I'm provisionally rather excited about it! The amount of good things that are being said by reviewers is encouraging.

If nothing else, it's got me painting up the two models I need to complete to have a fully-painted Spearhead for my main faction. 

17 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Yeah, that's my thinking too. But I'm provisionally rather excited about it! The amount of good things that are being said by reviewers is encouraging.

If nothing else, it's got me painting up the two models I need to complete to have a fully-painted Spearhead for my main faction. 

Same here. I painted some Witch Elves and Bonereaper cav I had laying around to finish off the spearheads. So it has that going for it already.

6 hours ago, Beliman said:

Goonhammer review as all of them if I'm not mistaken. One of my friends printed them and put the effects on magic cards and already started playing since we got all the videos with the rules!

https://www.goonhammer.com/age-of-sigmar-fourth-edition-playing-spearhead-with-the-skaventide-box/

• Like 3

On 6/26/2024 at 4:23 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think they have sold boards and books bundled with just terrain before. Seasons of War: Thondia is essentially that if not for the Krondspine Incarnate.

Selling the books and cards alongside the standard terrain makes sense to me. Spearhead boxes are already available, but terrain is required as part of the game and it's reasonable to assume that many new players won't have any on-hand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

Selling the books and cards alongside the standard terrain makes sense to me. Spearhead boxes are already available, but terrain is required as part of the game and it's reasonable to assume that many new players won't have any on-hand.

So a box with books, cards, game board, and terrain. I can totally see myself buying that. Far more than I can see myself buying the big Skaventide box. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

So a box with books, cards, game board, and terrain. I can totally see myself buying that. Far more than I can see myself buying the big Skaventide box. 

I see that and at least one spearhead in the box, if not the two that come inside Skaventide.

Just looking at the 40k comparison, the ultimate starter set contains 2 combat patrols (the ones from Leviathan) & scenery. So, basically everything you need to play combat patrol. 

The Nid & SM combat patrols are available separately but online only.

If this is anything to go by then maybe the SC & Skaven spearheads won’t be available separately except online. I think online only stuff doesn’t come in retail packaging. It makes sense as otherwise there could be a lot of doubling up of boxes with very similar content. 
As spearhead has additional cards to combat patrol we’ll likely see them available separately but could be online only or limited run.

Edited by GrimDork

33 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

As spearhead has additional cards to combat patrol we’ll likely see them available separately but could be online only or limited run.

You'd think that it'd be in GW's interests to make them easily obtainable. The more people who are equipped with the cards, the more boxes of models they can sell. 

Studio interview about Spearhead: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/06/28/warhammer-studio-interview-fine-tuning-the-nail-biting-finishes-of-spearhead/

Fans can look forward to new Spearhead army sets for their favourite factions, dedicated support products, and ongoing support from the rules team to address any issues that might come up.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

I was amused by the 'all you need is dice and table' bit. Why have they suddenly decided not to put dice in the box? Is it just so they can sell more of their silly limited edition dice? That's a new low in profiteering. Oh well. 

Other than that, all rather exciting. I'm hoping that the rules for a Slaanesh Daemons spearhead aren't too far away. 

28 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I was amused by the 'all you need is dice and table' bit. Why have they suddenly decided not to put dice in the box? Is it just so they can sell more of their silly limited edition dice? That's a new low in profiteering. Oh well. 

Other than that, all rather exciting. I'm hoping that the rules for a Slaanesh Daemons spearhead aren't too far away. 

I don't think that's the reason behind it. Those dice are always out of stock.

5 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I was amused by the 'all you need is dice and table' bit. Why have they suddenly decided not to put dice in the box? Is it just so they can sell more of their silly limited edition dice?

I’ve said it before, but I’m pretty certain the no dice thing is because the box is aimed mainly at 40k players, who already have plenty of dice kicking around.

16 hours ago, GrimDork said:

I’ve said it before, but I’m pretty certain the no dice thing is because the box is aimed mainly at 40k players, who already have plenty of dice kicking around.

That seems a fairly petty reason to leave them out. 

I guess I feel a tiny bit sorry for little Tommy who's got this box for Christmas (oh... birthday. Whatever...) and has assembled all the models and is raring to go, but the only dice he's got are the two from the Monopoly set. 

I agree that it’s completely mad to not include dice! But this is the only reasonable reason I can think of for not including them (unless GW are bringing out a warhammer themed dice rolling app😂).

As with Leviathan & Dominion, the true starter boxes that will follow in a month or so will include dice. These are the boxes that GW will push to Tommy’s parents for presents.

Edited by GrimDork
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Peculiar that the 'Fire and Jade' box they've announced doesn't include the Fire and Jade book, isn't it? 

I can't remember... are all the rules needed to play Spearhead going to be downloadable for free? Or do we need the book? 

The Spearhead rules will be downloadable. I believe all the 4th ed rules and warscrolls will be downloadable to start.

• Thanks 1