Spearhead discussion

47 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Peculiar that the 'Fire and Jade' box they've announced doesn't include the Fire and Jade book, isn't it? 

I can't remember... are all the rules needed to play Spearhead going to be downloadable for free? Or do we need the book? 

They mention the rules will be free and the spearhead warscrolls will be inside the indexes.

13 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The Spearhead rules will be downloadable. I believe all the 4th ed rules and warscrolls will be downloadable to start.

Yeah, not the whole books but their rules sections. It has always been the case. You can download 3rd edition rules for free nowadays at the cost of subscribing to the newsletter.

30 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Smashing. 

Well, let's just hope they don't go berserk with the price of the 'gaming pack'. 

From my perspective (so, of course, YMMV) this can't (realistically) be priced low enough to be interesting. Basically:

- the terrain is numerically limited (two walls and two...things) and tiny even on the small board

- because of the printed objectives/deployment, the board can't really be used outside of spearhead games

- cards can be printed with minimal effort and costs

My pessimistic bet for the price (as it's composed by stuff that GW typically overprices: cardboard boards, card packs, terrain) is 80€, the optimistic one is 60€ (and it still would feel too expensive for me)

27 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

From my perspective (so, of course, YMMV) this can't (realistically) be priced low enough to be interesting. Basically:

- the terrain is numerically limited (two walls and two...things) and tiny even on the small board

- because of the printed objectives/deployment, the board can't really be used outside of spearhead games

- cards can be printed with minimal effort and costs

My pessimistic bet for the price (as it's composed by stuff that GW typically overprices: cardboard boards, card packs, terrain) is 80€, the optimistic one is 60€ (and it still would feel too expensive for me)

This is a product aimed squarely at new players, and that's who it has to appeal to. People who literally don't own any terrain or a board. Or parents buying it for their children.

If you are an established player, you are very likely better off making a few objective markers and printing out the cards instead. But it is important that this box exists for the kind of audience that doesn't know what they need and wants to be able to walk into a store and walk out with a playable game.

EDIT: The price point is 55€ apparently, so cheap by GW standards.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GrimDork said:

I'm sure that buying Skaventide and selling off the bits you don't want is the way to go for anyone wanting this.

I know it's hassle, but it will probably be practically free once you're done.

That's what I do. Purchase the box. Keep the books, terrain and that kind of addons, Liberators, Reclusians and Lord-Terminos and I am pretty sure I will end up earning money.

Just now, Ejecutor said:

That's what I do. Purchase the box. Keep the books, terrain and that kind of addons, Liberators, Reclusians and Lord-Terminos and I am pretty sure I will end up earning money.

Just doing the math.

I got the box for £120 (which is the cheapest price I've seen anywhere at 25% discount) and they still have copies available.

Each half of the box will easily sell for £60+ (probably get more if you want to split it down further but will take longer to sell). If you sold each half for £65-70, even after eBay fees the spearhead content would be free!

2 eBay listings doesn't seem like much hassle to me!

23 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

Just doing the math.

I got the box for £120 (which is the cheapest price I've seen anywhere at 25% discount) and they still have copies available.

Each half of the box will easily sell for £60+ (probably get more if you want to split it down further but will take longer to sell). If you sold each half for £65-70, even after eBay fees the spearhead content would be free!

2 eBay listings doesn't seem like much hassle to me!

You make a really good point. Damn, I'm sorely tempted to invest in the big box now. 

If you don't already work in sales, @GrimDork, then the industry is missing out! 

• Haha 4

Just now, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

You make a really good point. Damn, I'm sorely tempted to invest in the big box now. 

If you don't already work in sales, @GrimDork, then the industry is missing out! 

My advice, always focus your purchases that way. I have a friend who plays 40k but bought the Cavalier Marshall purely for painting, but rather than buying the Cav Marshall for 45€, I told him to get the Spearhead for 110 €. Selling the rest of the box gave him the mini for free with 3 sales.