Spearhead discussion

I hope it isn't too long before we see a new or alternative Spearhead for S2D, the old lord and chariot feel like they should be headed back to ToW. Not wanting to buy that chariot kit to go with my knights and warriors is putting me off a little, too.

I also hope we'll see an Ironjaws Spearhead, which still feels like a glaring omission.

I'm one model away from assembling a Swampskulka Gang, and I'm going to start work on a Gnawfeast Clawpack this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can start playing Spearhead!

Those of you who've got some games under your belt already: How do you think the faction balance is shaking out so far? I see concerns about Hedonites already. Vigilant Brotherhood and Bad Moon Madmob look very strong in the WH+ Spearhead League batrep.

16 hours ago, Urauloth said:

I hope it isn't too long before we see a new or alternative Spearhead for S2D, the old lord and chariot feel like they should be headed back to ToW. Not wanting to buy that chariot kit to go with my knights and warriors is putting me off a little, too.

Same here, really. I've got all the Knights and Warriors, just need the Chariot... but I don't feel at all inspired to paint one. Definitely hoping the susurrations about Slaves being an earlier release in this edition are bourne out, and a fresh Spearhead comes with it. 

I’ve just played two games of Spearhead and I like the mode very much - it will probably become our go-to game mode. It’s quick, relatively easy but still feels more like a wargame than Warcry does.

I’ve tried Seraphon and OBR and both forces seem capable. I am now strongly motivated to build next Spearhead force!

IMG_1922.jpeg

• Like 5

I haven't been active on here in a long time but still lurk. Seeing people fuss over the chariot in the S2D spearhead has me giddy tho.

As a long time Slaves player I of course own a chariot... A model I have assembled simply to humor my opponents rather than use a blank base as a stand in as I'm known to do. But since then I have dreaded painting the thing, it just feels like it doesn't measure up to the current model line.

At any rate I have only played a couple games of spearhead so far but S2D feels strong and the stats on the chariot are respectable even and it has proven useful, however the real strength is in the knights.

For you guys on the fence about the spearhead should just find a proxy or something cuz Slaves is crushing it.

I really came here to listen to people's opinions about the Tzeench spearhead however. So far I have heard mixed thoughts. I'm on the fence myself as I would have to purchase flamers to complete the box but if im gonna get wrecked in my local league I rather just stick to slaves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 8:33 PM, Urauloth said:

I think the chariot is on the same base size as the Karkadrak, so I'd just proxy that. 

For the Lord, you could proxy the Exalted Champion? Same base size, but a modern sculpt.

• Like 1

Ran a spearhead day today, really enjoyed the format. Quick and quite easy to get into. 5 players and a good variety of spearheads being played. Look forward to playing more and hope that they support it as well as Jade and fire as it plays like combat patrol plus.

• Like 3

Played my first two games today, really enjoyed it. Clever system with the trade off between scoring or giving a boost to your army.

it feels like a mix of AoS and underworlds to me… which is about perfect. We had a group of 4 figuring it out, and all 4 of us came away very impressed.

I plan on using this format to get my kids into wargaming. Good mix of quick set up, small space, easy rules, and d6s to help with mental math (part of the reason I don’t like proprietary dice).

• Like 2

How do you guys think about the Nighthaunt spearhead? Ive bought it for my gf but im not sure its very strong. Sinds al the stats seem defensive without a good punch. While winning isnt everything i want to know how people experience playing this warband.

13 minutes ago, Juicy said:

How do you guys think about the Nighthaunt spearhead? Ive bought it for my gf but im not sure its very strong. Sinds al the stats seem defensive without a good punch. While winning isnt everything i want to know how people experience playing this warband.

Nighthaunt spearhead is pretty strong. Ethereal is always solid, and there is a nice mix of bodies, speed, and agressiveness. Crit(auto-wound) also makes you punch harder than it seems.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Nighthaunt spearhead is pretty strong. Ethereal is always solid, and there is a nice mix of bodies, speed, and agressiveness. Crit(auto-wound) also makes you punch harder than it seems.

Thanks a lot!