General Chat Thread

Posted (edited)

With the recent discussion about how focused our Rumour Thread should remain, I thought we could use a second thread that let's us talk about all facets of the hobby and go off-topic when we please or have interesting discussions - from lore discussions to wishlisting to other cool aspects of the hobby like sharing cool painting videos and the like.

This is the place to post your DONGs, whine and cry about Tzeentchian Sorcerer-Knights, how Aelfs and Duardin will work in CoS forces or how much we all hate Mit Gas that Beasts of Chaos got removed! Keep it civil and respectful and all that and if you won't, a cranky mod with a bat will come after you, you've been warned.

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

To start where the Rumour thread left off:

What do we think about Aelfs and Duardin in CoS? Do you think there's a chance GW will give CoS Aelven and Duardin units in their next wave? The basic idea of the new Empire not just being regular humans was received very well in the fandom I believe.... Mixed units are probably too difficult to pull off as fewer parts would be interchangeable and they could suffer "from same mini syndrome" but Duardin or Aelven units or mixed weapon teams seem a good compromise?

15 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

So far what we know is that, based on the new refresh pre release interviews, the religious side of the release seems to be ready already. So it is very unlikely for the next wave.

Looks like they want to sail familiar waters, the religious zealotry feels like a throwback to 40k. It‘s not that I dislike it, I actually think it‘s cool (and the concept of overtly religious groups kinda scary in general - I always found Wordbearers waaaay „scarier“ than other other Chaos Marines because their insane beliefs mirror some of the scariest things in human history), but the whole multi-race aspect of CoS is something that is more unique to a wargame setting, so I would‘ve liked to see more new kits with something other than humans first. 

4 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

My thoughts are that I don’t get the hype for CoS. 

You might collect a couple of confused reactions for that statement. 😂 

I find CoS important as they provide a more relatable, human view at the other forces/realms. If everyone is over the top, no one is, so I think it‘s cool that we have a „vanilla“ faction. 

Granted, some of the other Order forces are relatable as well, but I figure we can still relate more to simple Hans than an aelf or dwarf. And thankfully we got a ton of options outside if plain, old humans in AoS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Looks like they want to sail familiar waters, the religious zealotry feels like a throwback to 40k. It‘s not that I dislike it, I actually think it‘s cool (and the concept of overtly religious groups kinda scary in general - I always found Wordbearers waaaay „scarier“ than other other Chaos Marines because their insane beliefs mirror some of the scariest things in human history), but the whole multi-race aspect of CoS is something that is more unique to a wargame setting, so I would‘ve liked to see more new kits with something other than humans first. 

I feel like we'll get non-humans. We already had the ogor in wave 1, so even if wave 2 is "just" Devoted and Ironweld (Cogfort!), we'll probably still get at least Kroot sized release an edition or two from now.

Or (imho more likely), we'll get a unit or two of aelves and duardin with 1-2 characters to go with the priests and Da Vinci-punk Ironweld stuff (based on my hopes and dreams and the torch RE) maybe next year.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, MitGas said:

You might collect a couple of confused reactions for that statement. 😂 

I find CoS important as they provide a more relatable, human view at the other forces/realms. If everyone is over the top, no one is, so I think it‘s cool that we have a „vanilla“ faction. 

Granted, some of the other Order forces are relatable as well, but I figure we can still relate more to simple Hans than an aelf or dwarf. And thankfully we got a ton of options outside if plain, old humans in AoS.

I just think that in a setting with elven soul-thieves riding eels, Einherjar riding dragons that throw stars at people, malevolent tree fae, murder cultist snakegirls, and basically everyone besides the Soulblight, choosing “Regular humans and standard Elf/Dwarfs” is a bit like seeing 100 different interesting flavors and then choosing French Vanilla and then insisting that it’s actually a really interesting choice compared to the others. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

I just think that in a setting with elven soul-thieves riding eels, Einherjar riding dragons that throw stars at people, malevolent tree fae, murder cultist snakegirls, and basically everyone besides the Soulblight, choosing “Regular humans and standard Elf/Dwarfs” is a bit like seeing 100 different interesting flavors and then choosing French Vanilla and then insisting that it’s actually a really interesting choice compared to the others. 

I totally get your point, I just think it‘s good that we got somewhat regular old Joes on top of all the others- it worked in WHFB after all, many of the other forces were quite a bit more „interesting“ and fantastical back then as well and it worked out fine. But there are history buffs that appreciate stuff like CoS, that like fantasy but want a more grounded army, so CoS is for them. 

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

To me, it's mostly just the contrast of "2 metre Chaos warrior infused by the blessings of dark gods" vs "Mark the baker defending his home and all that you hold dear on this good earth. I bid you stand, men of the-" wait getting too much into Lord of The Rings territory :D

It also doesn't hurt that I actually like their morality. Are they perfect? No. Do they have bigoted a*holes (cough Zenestra in Dawnbringer cough)? Yeah. But it's still average humans, elves and dwarves just trying to survive against the odds without any over the top powers or having to sign their souls away to Chaos or Nagash or whoever. And somehow they actually manage to hold on while staying relatively nice as a faction (at least for a Warhammer setting).

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

It is not a really interesting choice. It is THE interesting choice! I think it is interesting exactly because of what you mentioned. All the other tastes are too over the top. Maybe Darkoath are the other at the same level and I have the feeling that GW will try to put other similar dudes at that vanilla level in the future.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Asbestress said:

To me, it's mostly just the contrast of "2 metre Chaos warrior infused by the blessings of dark gods" vs "Mark the baker defending his home and all that you hold dear on this good earth. I bid you stand, men of the-" wait getting too much into Lord of The Rings territory :D

It also doesn't hurt that I actually like their morality. Are they perfect? No. Do they have bigoted a*holes (cough Zenestra in Dawnbringer cough)? Yeah. But it's still average humans, elves and dwarves just trying to survive against the odds without any over the top powers or having to sign their souls away to Chaos or Nagash or whoever. And somehow they actually manage to hold on while staying relatively nice as a faction (at least for a Warhammer setting).

Oh, I love that. You know, there isn't quite as much - damn, I forgot the correct English term for it - "pressure" if you've got super magical and acrobatic skills when that armored brute stands before you. You just feel with Mark the baker and Tobias the mason, they give you that "Oh poopoo" moment. While Tar Zathariel, the Blade of Twilight... you kinda imagine that dude to do sommersaults between Chaos Warriors and beheading them all with a single swipe.

• Like 1

Ah, the word I meant is agency I think. You know, in some stories when I read how normal people like you and me do their best to survive against whatever horrors the story throws at them… those are the moments where one can only side with their fellow humans and feel every loss and victory with them, for they fight back entropy and that sets a strong scene. 

Thankfully I identify as a little Tzeentchian horror (but with a spirit mean enough to challenge the biggest birds), so I don‘t feel sadness if they fail but if I didn’t, I‘d feel a kind of belonging with these poor sods. 

• Haha 1

What is people’s opinion on a species being part of more than one Grand Alliance? Right now, only Humans and Ogors are part of more than one (not including Warcry and Underworld) but I would personally love to see more corrupted species with existing uncorrupted counterparts.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I definitely want the uncorrupted species out of S2D. Seeing Ogroids back under Gorkamorka rebuilding their empire, Fomoroids shake off the chains of madness to maybe sign up as city builders under the Freeguilds and even some Sphiranxes go back to serving god-Teclis would be fantastic.

Otherwise I’m meh on the subject, I can get why it could be received as a asset recycle by some if not done properly(like say if Chaos Duardin do get some Hobgrots then they need to be seriously kitted with better armor & equipment to differentiate from Kruleboyz ones who are only merchants & traders to the dark duardin and not soldiers)

4 hours ago, ScionOfOssia said:

100% get ya’ and would fully agree but thankfully CoS aren’t just vanilla but have a bunch of sprinkles and toppings blended in.

Like if it Was just regular dudes & castles that tried to ignore their surroundings(like old CoS felt like as being out of place) then big yikes and I would’ve sweared them off too.

However that’s not the proper Cities of Sigmar for AoS.

Thankfully what we got is closer to planetary colonists that settle the new alien environments and have to change and adapt to survive in them and that’s what makes their lore and design details so great a flavor for the Mortal Realms setting whether it be free cities building vast metropolises thanks to magic lava forges, building instead giant skulls or rib cages, on the tops on mountainous trees with cities on the valley-sized branches, underground cities with repellants to ward off the giant insects that carve out more catacombs for them to expand in or fleets of ships chained together to make a flotilla city on the sea of shadows so they can either operate as a major stronghold civilization or break apart and engage in naval warfare.

And the models accentuate that & their bizarre environments by adapting with Gargoylians, animal-mask armor to designate them a rung below their immortal guardians in human-mask armor, warbands having to use nothing but heavy axes & crossbows as they’ll never face mere civilized human foes in the wilds to where the arbalest needs weights on his back to hold down the kickback to move immediately after firing at charging horrors, Ogors being weaponized further with towers and even the undead employed by the cities be it the calming spirits or chatty mummy heads since the logics of the Realms is always fraying at edges with how much sheer magic makes up their realities.

GW did a commendable job making the regular guys very unvanilla and as strange & bizarre as the Mortal Realms they live in. 👌 💫 

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ScionOfOssia said:

My thoughts are that I don’t get the hype for CoS. 

take this

Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring Gandalf Gimli Hobbits Aragorn  Art

Dungeons-Dragons-Party-Tavern.jpg

and make an faction that the appeal.

The average man in a fantasy universe wouldn't just be humans but also includes the elves, dwarfs and {insert other fantasy races} so we have a faction who are united under a banner of cooperation. It is also pretty unique in other wargames & some fantasies, usually it just the Elf faction, the orc faction, {insert era/nationality} human faction the other {insert different era/nationality} human faction but with CoS it you typical D&D party x10 all together to face off against the eldritch, the undead, the demonic, the savage ect ect in a post apocalypse universe

It also help that there so many different side of CoS that brim with potential: The 15th century army, the steampunk corporations w/ warmachines, the dwarfs remnants, the pirate elves, the zealous fanatics, the wizards, the 16th century FBI it bound to catch someone's interest

Edited by Dragon-knight77
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ZarFranz said:

What is people’s opinion on a species being part of more than one Grand Alliance? Right now, only Humans and Ogors are part of more than one (not including Warcry and Underworld) but I would personally love to see more corrupted species with existing uncorrupted counterparts.

Slaaneshi Aelves? Yes please! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Slaaneshi Aelves? Yes please! 

Slaaneshi Aelves, swearing themselves to the arch enemy of the Gods that rejected them.

Dead aelves led by Eldyra the would be God of death.

Aelves of destruction... Lacking a idea at the moment but should be a way to make it work

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm extremely hyped to see more cities stuff. Being a long time Terry Pratchett fan might have something to do with it.  Hammerhal and Ankh-Morpork aren't so different. I do want to see Duardin and Aelves in steelhelm uniforms eventually.

I just finished my version of Tahlia and can't wait to see what GW has cooking for the cities.PXL_20240529_154907886.PORTRAIT.jpg.b891165f95f0999fa6a7e0a5c301105f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

How delightful. I'd love rubbing that in the faces of all the Lumineth players who regularly trounce me! 

It’s a concept I have feel Games Workshop accidentally created but could be immensely interesting. Imagine encountering your peoples Gods but having them not only reject you but creating new aelves to be their primary followers in your stead. And in so doing creating Deepkin and whatever is in Ulgu.

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

I'm extremely hyped to see more cities stuff. Being a long time Terry Pratchett fan might have something to do with it.  Hammerhal and Ankh-Morpork aren't so different.

I thought there was something a bit Discworldish about the Cities models when they were rolled out. Could definitely see Colon and Nobby and the rest in that uniform! 

• Like 2