General Chat Thread

On 9/21/2024 at 9:50 PM, Beliman said:

So, another tournament and I lost all my games. One of them was close until last turn, the others were lost in the first 2 turns (enemy could take 10 VP each round and I couldn't).

Soulblight are scary, the wolfs are crazy. Not sure why Duardins can't be 2 wounds base when a dog with better profile, better synergies and better stats can have 2 wounds with an added ressurection and deathly invocation mechanic. The only player that could put a fight played a Be'lakor list (no Lumineth or Nighthaunts btw).

Stormcast with new models are fun to play. Reclussians seems good when you play with reinforced units, I'm a big fan of Crit (mw).

Prossecutors with Honour Guard and some support have a lot of damage. Not sure if they are the best unit for Honour Guard but their movement and 3D6 charge makes them scary during the whole game.

Conclusion: I think that I'm 2W-10L. I'm not going to spam Thunderers, so my losing score will continue to rise up until the next battlescroll or whatever comes. /sad

I find that fielding one or two elite melee units is pretty workable right now. The distances on the current battle plans are short enough for slow melee units to get into engagement range, and shooting and ranged mortals are at the weakest they have been in a while. So IMO playing bruisers like Reclusians is pretty fun right now.

I am getting more comfortable with playing in the new edition. Keeping things like counter charge and in mind is becoming more natural and fun for me, and for the time being I still enjoy the dynamics of endless spells. The risk/reward aspect of having a mega-caster summon a bunch of them only for them to disappear from the battlefield once the caster is killed is actually pretty interesting and not something I was thinking about in theory crafting mode.

• Like 1

Question: What do you think about the customization that AoS 4.0 gave us? I'm aiming at Artifacts, Heroic Traits and Battle Formations.

I've learned that the hard way, with a Lord terminus and 6 Reclusians. I'm used to play against a Mirrorshielded Hero, but the potion of Fight First won the game. Reclusians killed 300p and instead of feeling bad, I was surprised for that play. I knew from the begining that his Terminos had that potion, it was just that I never played against and it felt good.

That's exactly what I want to see for all armies. Sadly, my KO's customization is build around control (more range, more movility/redeploy or unbind one spell), but it would be awesome to have a unit to use Grudgebearer or Barak-Thryng-like Heroic Trait (+1/+1 when charging).

First balance pass of 4.0 is here.

PDF link.

That’s your top-level review, but there are plenty more changes, with points adjustments on more than 250 units, updates to frequently asked questions and more. You can expect monthly FAQ updates towards the end of each month to adjust any issues that crop up, as well as bigger adjustments in our quarterly battlescroll updates. As always, please send your feedback to aosfaq@gwplc.com to let the team know what you think and if there are any issues that you’d like to see addressed in the next update.

• Like 1

They patched that one weird Fusilier thing where they basically never had a chance to use their "shoot in combat" profile, because if they got caught in combat they had no way to unfortify even if they wanted to. I honestly didn't expect that to happen, but it's nice.

Also Steam Tank down 10 points. STEAM TANK SPAM IS BACK ON THE MENU!

You can expect monthly FAQ updates towards the end of each month to adjust any issues that crop up, as well as bigger adjustments in our quarterly battlescroll updates.

Why bother buying books and printing FAQs, with this pace.

Remember the bloated status of 3rd that repelled lots of new players ? 4th will very quickly approach it like this.

Hope Spearhead won't be touched that way, so that casual players can have fun without that balance nonsense (personnal opinion of mine).

41 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Remember the bloated status of 3rd that repelled lots of new players ? 4th will very quickly approach it like this.

Hope Spearhead won't be touched that way, so that casual players can have fun without that balance nonsense (personnal opinion of mine).

I do hope Spearhead does get some small changes though, like giving the arkanauts reinforcements or something so KO feels better to play. 

• LOVE IT! 1

37 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

It would be not be as problematic if they would allow an easy way to buy the rules in the app.

Rules digital only and the battletomes would become lore tomes with lots of hobby related stuff. Different paint schemes, conversions and etc. A real hobbyist / lore tome.

What is the  value of a battletome that has a big chunk of it invalidated at the end of the month.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

It would be not be as problematic if they would allow an easy way to buy the rules in the app.

Rules digital only and the battletomes would become lore tomes with lots of hobby related stuff. Different paint schemes, conversions and etc. A real hobbyist / lore tome.

What is the  value of a battletome that has a big chunk of it invalidated at the end of the month.

They are just a fee you have to pay for your lore.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

They are just a fee you have to pay for your lore.

It ain't. 😉 I am not really interested in the AoS lore, but I do like the game. It's a bizar situation that I have to pay to get the Skaven rules which are almost an exact copy of the Skaven faction pack (index), which I could acces before the release of the battletome with the app.

I am subscribed to Warhammer+ since the beginning (mainly for the mini's) and I find it absurd that I lost acces to everything game related for Skaven, just because they did a copy paste from the index to a BT. Almost nothing changed ruleswise, but to keep using it I have to pay 45 euro for a book of which the majority doesn't interest me. I just want to be able to use the app for my gaming.

It's such a stupid and greedy move from GW. First they want your subscription money and than they want even more money so you can use the app which you already paid for.

Edited by Tonhel

3 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Precisely.

At least, we can't complain anymore about points since they're out of the book now, but I don't really think they need to change core rules / profiles that fast. Feels like they're trying to micro-manage too much the meta balance.

Though I do agree I'm from the old school part of the players and I feel like my way is now out of touch with the current generation. I do understand there is a demand for having constant updates / patches that "fix" the balance at a faster pace.

I'm not against changes, even in Spearhead, but I feel like in our Hobby, where it takes a lot of time to build and paint a whole army...it would be better not to follow the same pace than a video game. It's not like we can just push a button once the game is patched and play immediately. Well, for most players, at the very least.

It may sound like a small thing, but recently in my club discord, a new player was looking for a player to play at AoS. One of our veteran players answered, and said "don't forget to get your list updated with the current FAQ and metabalance !". No malice in that at all, he's a tournament leaned player, but when you're new and you read that, I believe that the first thing that may come to your mind is "I have to learn something else than what is in the books I have to be able to play ?". Not sure it's that enticing, IMHO. And we're barely a few months after the launch already...

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Precisely.

At least, we can't complain anymore about points since they're out of the book now, but I don't really think they need to change core rules / profiles that fast. Feels like they're trying to micro-manage too much the meta balance.

Though I do agree, I'm from the old school part of the players and I feel like my way is now out of touch with the current generation. I do understand there is a demand for having constant updates / patches that "fix" the balance at a faster pace.

I'm not against changes, even in Spearhead, but I feel like in our Hobby, where it takes a lot of time to build and paint a whole army...it would be better not to follow the same pace than a video game. It's not like we can just push a button once the game is patched and play immediately. Well, for most players, at the very least.

If I remember correctly in the older days it took months or even years to get a FAQ/Errata. This was to long, but changing point values and etc each month is to much. You really have to be a die hard tournament player, who does every weekend a tournament to really see the benefit of monthly balance updates.

Anyway I don't really believe in such frequently balance updates as it mostly opening another can of worms.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Precisely.

Though I do agree I'm from the old school part of the players and I feel like my way is now out of touch with the current generation. I do understand there is a demand for having constant updates / patches that "fix" the balance at a faster pace.

It may sound like a small thing, but recently in my club discord, a new player was looking for a player to play at AoS. One of our veteran players answered, and said "don't forget to get your list updated with the current FAQ and metabalance !". No malice in that at all, he's a tournament leaned player, but when you're new and you read that, I believe that the first thing that may come to your mind is "I have to learn something else than what is in the books I have to be able to play ?". Not sure it's that enticing, IMHO. And we're barely a few months after the launch already...

IMO this is something, indeed very influenced by videogames, that is becoming global. Nowadays there's not a single videogame where someone is trying to be a pro player and that is something that is turning into everything.

The aim in the end is trying to get a field as even as possible, if the team would reach that point I think we wouldn't see so many changes, but that's the problem, they never achieve that balance.

5 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Just play KOs. You will be hungry for a new update, at least, until you are fun to play without feeling bad for being stomped.

But the monthly update did nothing or almost nothing for KO. The only solution for them is a BT with hopefully not a copy paste of the index.

Edited by Tonhel

2 hours ago, Tonhel said:

But the monthly update did nothing or almost nothing for KO.

That's why we, all Kharadron players,  are waiting for the next month update. Pretty sure that the next FAQ will give us enough stuff to be awesome again... (starts crying in s corner)

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tonhel said:

You really have to be a die hard tournament player, who does every weekend a tournament to really see the benefit of monthly balance updates.

I don't think monthly updates were a demand/hope even of this crowd. Because of cut-off dates, it basically means every tournament will be playing with "outdated" rules, which has its own problems (players are less motivated, the app shows wrong info...). Personally I think this change is meant to:

- generate "buzz" and dominate (even more) the news cycle of the wargaming world

- drive traffic to warco

- make the use of the app almost mandatory

- make the work of third party websites who offer points/list building/rules much harder

Personally, I love playing in tournaments and I already feel tired reading this announcement.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

BTW some artwork of the Stormcast from the Loremaster video someone screenshot 

Has a weird alternative head for the Lord RelictorStormcastrelictor2.png.4f6c10a41f6ad2b6f98ebf6abbafbd27.png

Stormcastrelictor.png.8783f582c33b4b3ec81b18f4d0de78f4.png

also some memorian scale compare to Stormcast that i like to see (the same one from the General Handbook)

Stormcastreculsian.png.bbb0414f17f783f9676918f0c504ef59.png

Maybe that's artwork from the new BT.

• Like 2